PDA

View Full Version : What tyre am I really getting?

Antallica
13th August 2003, 17:30
I've got a tyre priced up for my rear, just wondering if you guys reckon this is a crap quality tyre.

Front: 2.75x19 - Chengshin C117 - $55.00 + $28 Labour
Rear: 3.50x17 - Chengshin C180 - $70.00 + $28 Labour

What do you guys reckon about the brand?

Also, what's the difference between the 19 and the 17?

babyB
13th August 2003, 17:42
well i dont like them at all but thats just my opinion

17 & 18 are the rim size (diamiter in inches)

Blackbird
13th August 2003, 17:52
They've never been noted for grip, but if you aren't a hard charger, they offer value for money.  Fitness for purpose an' all that.:done:

Antallica
13th August 2003, 17:54
Yeah I was thinking they might not be great grippers, I'll see what else I can get that's good..

Anyone recommend a brand for me?

wkid_one
13th August 2003, 18:10
Well everyone knows my opinion on tyres - they are the only thing holding you upright - don't be cheap when chooing them.

Ant - look at the Dunlop 208's, Metzler M1's, Pirelli Diablos, Bridgestone BT010's - all great tyres for sport riding on the road.....and reasonable in the wet also.

Dave
13th August 2003, 19:03
Chen shing are crap,I borrowed a cr125 to race motocross and that had them on-looked the part,not too different than a bridgestone only thing was when the bike was leaning into a corner,they just let go,all the time.(crashed in the carpark paddock).No more cheng shit.

georgedubyabush
13th August 2003, 19:23
Originally posted by wkid_one

Ant - look at the Dunlop 208's, Metzler M1's, Pirelli Diablos, Bridgestone BT010's - all great tyres for sport riding on the road.....and reasonable in the wet also.

can you even get such tyres in smaller sizes? (remembers back searching in vane for a 140 to fit an 18inch rear rim)

What?
13th August 2003, 20:34
For a 150, you'd be hard pressed to do better than Metzler ME77 / 33 combination. Good grip and should last yonks on a small bike. Not too dear,either.

Coldkiwi
14th August 2003, 13:40
Originally posted by georgedubyabush
can you even get such tyres in smaller sizes? (remembers back searching in vane for a 140 to fit an 18inch rear rim)

quite right. many of the supersport tyres are not available for under 400cc bikes and very few tyres at all are available for 18" rears. I ran a dunlop GPR 80's on my GPX 250 (18" rear too) and they were pretty good. I did screw up badly on them though and wrote teh bike off so my confidence was a bit shaken in them (but I doubt the tyres really played much of a role vs my inexperience).

Stick with the well known brands to be honest. if its a dirty cheap tyre, there will be a reason.

marty
31st August 2003, 20:29
has anyone heard of these guys? the tyre looks the same, feels the same (soft compound), smells the same......

http://www.shinkotire.co.kr/product/em_radial.htm

Antallica
31st August 2003, 21:45
Well here she is, she's a beast & looks more like an offroader. I must say it's rather good now that I know from experience. Very good in the wet too :)

http://www.accwhse.com/photos/chengsh_c180.gif

curious george
31st August 2003, 21:52
Did that come off a Massey Ferguson?:p
If this is for your commuter bike, cheap = good?
It's not like your gonna get a knee down or anything, or possibly?

What?
1st September 2003, 08:16
Originally posted by marty
has anyone heard of these guys? the tyre looks the same, feels the same (soft compound), smells the same......

http://www.shinkotire.co.kr/product/em_radial.htm

Opinions, opinions...

Kiwi Rider magazine gave then a good write up. Two dealers I know refuse to stock them on safety grounds. Stuffed if I know, but I do remeber clearly when owning any Japanese tyre was not a sensible option. Now, Bridgestone are amongst the best.:confused:

Motu
1st September 2003, 08:47
That's a copy of the old Dunlop K70 - Kenny Roberts was happy on them sideways at 100mph on a mile dirt track....give it a try.I still have a very hard original K70 on the front of my old Yamaha 650.In their day they were a good wet weather tyre - I used to hit manhole covers in wet corners to loosen things up.

Coldkiwi
1st September 2003, 12:37
interesting to read that shinko publicity blurb about winning races... but I wonder, how many race teams actually use shinko tyres??? maybe I'm just an elitist Pirelli user but if the tyres are good, regardless of the publicity, people in the know will use them... and i don't know anyone using them!!

all of the major companies do make cheaper lower performance tyres for commuting etc anyway, so there's not really any need to go for a dark horse is there?

Lee Rusty
1st September 2003, 13:49
tyres have changed over the years and people opinions have not.
A bad experiance laasts a long time

I used to use Kenda because they lasted a long time on my outfit
ie 17000 Km - but last one I brought was in Dunedin and it was cut after a pretty straight run to Dargaville - less than 2000 km.

So softer compound would be ok on a touring bike for stickability,
Cheng shin tyres now are far better than they used to be, still not as good as Metzler etc but in my opinion way better than Dunlop.

I fitted a new Dunlop to the rear of my Harley and I have to say it is the only tyre I have ever removed and replaced with out being worn - I took it off after 350km as it was the worst tyre I have ever ridden on. SLid all over the place, no warning just gone.
I replaced it with a Metzler and it was great.

IT is not just the make of tyre but the compound of tyre, talk to the tyre man tell him what you want to use it for - commuting, touring, racing, etc.

There are a couple of good tyre places around but they all have their horror stories ie tyres fitted with wrong direction, loose wheel nuts etc.

Besides Cycletreads, Leading Edge, and Motormail, check out Rowes tyres behind the BP service station on Rosebank Rd Auck.
they have a good selection for racing, dirt, street, slicks, etc.
And they are friendly.

georgedubyabush
1st September 2003, 14:55
Unfortunately for Antallica Whangarei seems a bit hard up for tyres. Shaws Kawasaki couldnt find any to fit without ordering and then a big wait. Tyre man on lower Cameron street is cheap, but was trying to sell me miss-matched brands off his shelf. Ended up riding down to cycletreads which was well worth the trip.

Lee Rusty
1st September 2003, 15:18
cycle tread and other tyre places can sent by courier if you ask them - but it does mean fitting will cost extra

Antallica
1st September 2003, 18:34
Originally posted by georgedubyabush
Unfortunately for Antallica Whangarei seems a bit hard up for tyres. Shaws Kawasaki couldnt find any to fit without ordering and then a big wait. Tyre man on lower Cameron street is cheap, but was trying to sell me miss-matched brands off his shelf. Ended up riding down to cycletreads which was well worth the trip.

I agree... it seems I can only get 2 brands of tyre for my bike here as they all say 'oh they are an uncommon size', well the Suzuki dealers here have no trouble but they charge the world!

Shaw's was good and way cheaper than the Suzi dealer, and it turned out to be a pretty sweet tyre anyway :D