PDA

View Full Version : Best film this year?

Indiana_Jones
24th November 2004, 22:15
Well the year is comming to an end as you may have noticed. Just wondering on what you feel is the best film that you have seen this year?

For me it would have to be "Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World". Love the setting, characters and soundtrack :D
Decieded to read after seeing as I'm doing now so, very good indeed :niceone:

-Indy

SuperDave
24th November 2004, 23:33
Blade Runner: The Director's Cut ;)

Velox
24th November 2004, 23:35
Saw "The Corporation" a couple of nights ago. Really, really good I thought. Really, really long too though. I don't usually bother with movies partly because I'm too stingey, but this one was really worthwhile. :niceone:

StoneChucker
24th November 2004, 23:46
partly because I'm too stingey
That would explain why at each servo we stop at, you go round to each pump, lift it off the cradle and tip the drops into your tank... :lol:

SPman
25th November 2004, 05:33
The Barbarian Invasions !

Sniper
25th November 2004, 06:41
Definetaly I Robot

manuboy
25th November 2004, 07:15
Indiana, it isn't that current, but i thought 21 Grams was right up there.... very good acting and a nice premise... :spudwave:

bear
25th November 2004, 07:39
21 Grams is worth a look.
Saw Zelary (Czech Republic, sub-titled) at the Welington Film Festival, bit of a softy, but if you're in that frame of mind worth a nose.

Blakamin
25th November 2004, 08:16
I've seen tooo many movies this year.... Troy was good... The Bourne Supremacy.... collateral.... the terminal..... walking tall.... I, robot... last samurai......I could go on for ages

Riff Raff
25th November 2004, 08:27
Shrek 2. Bloody awesome

bear
25th November 2004, 08:29
Yes, Shrek 2 - loved the part where it was like Cops, and the pepper spray.

James Deuce
25th November 2004, 08:43
Shrek 2 for me.

But then I've only seen Harry Potter, Shrek, and The Polar Express this year anyway.

Indiana_Jones
25th November 2004, 08:49
Yes, Shrek 2 - loved the part where it was like Cops, and the pepper spray.

I loved that part too, best bit of the film :D
"Police Brutailty!!!!!"

-Indy

Omega1
25th November 2004, 08:50
Yep -Shrek2 "Pray for mercy from Puss n Boots"

F5 Dave
25th November 2004, 10:10
I Robot was good. But Kill Bill 2 was it for me.

Blakamin
25th November 2004, 10:19
But Kill Bill 2 was it for me.
forgot about that one. was brilliant!!! :eek5: (<--- twitchy eye)
and shrek 2... :2thumbsup

Jamezo
25th November 2004, 12:06
oh man, no contest, it has to be Anal Lesbian Midget Bondage Suprise Volume 372. Best thing to come out of Hollywood this year.

WFT!?!?!? :crazy:

Riff Raff
25th November 2004, 12:27
oh man, no contest, it has to be Anal Lesbian Midget Bondage Suprise Volume 372. Best thing to come out of Hollywood this year.

I preferred volume 371. They had run out of surprises in vol 372. :blink:

MrMelon
25th November 2004, 12:31
Farenheit 911 was good. I enjoyed Kill Bill 2, it didn't involve too much thinking really, but it was still quite a cool movie. And I robot was kinda cool too.

Anchorman or Dodgeball would have to be the funniest movies I've seen tihs year.

bear
25th November 2004, 12:47
Somehow Farenheit 9/11 would have been all the more sweeter if Kerry had won though.

Blakamin
25th November 2004, 13:18
Somehow Farenheit 9/11 would have been all the more sweeter if Kerry had won though.
I thought it looked like a paid political ad.... dont get me started on Michael "The facts only count when I want" Moore

bear
25th November 2004, 13:49
I thought it looked like a paid political ad.... dont get me started on Michael "The facts only count when I want" Moore

I agree that it did need a counter argument to balance the views expressed by Mr Moore, however, it did add display some evidence of how corrupt American democracy is (or possibly could be).

Jamezo
25th November 2004, 13:51

yep, Moore is an enormous asshole/douchebag. but his message is very important. VERY important.

manuboy
25th November 2004, 13:54

But who are you more afraid of? Osama and his band of merry beards, or George Dubbya? Any movie that can even partially highlight some of Bush's maniacal motivations is fine by me.

I'm lookin forward to the Incredibles... looks like it might have a few laughs :doobey:

Blakamin
25th November 2004, 14:24
But who are you more afraid of? Osama and his band of merry beards, or George Dubbya?
Dunno.... might just have to stick my head in the sand and live my own life (not meant to sound like it looks, just too much on my plate at the moment without worrying about those clowns)

I'm lookin forward to the Incredibles... looks like it might have a few laughs
just watched a trailer.... looks quite cool :2thumbsup

Teflon
25th November 2004, 15:12
Have to say movie 'Gigli',starring Jennifer Lopez, she looks quite tidy in this movie.

Cabin Fever. Rocks for a budget film.

duckman
25th November 2004, 15:35
Anyone seen "HERO" , apart from having to read bloody fast to keep up with the sub-titties, I thought it was pretty good. ;)

crazylittleshit
25th November 2004, 15:43
the new resident evil dame good movie :rockon:

bear
25th November 2004, 15:43
Have to say movie 'Gigli',starring Jennifer Lopez, she looks quite tidy in this movie.

Gigli - I always like to watch a movie through to the end to see what happens, but Gigli was so bad I only watched the first 30 minutes before I nearly went mental and turned it off.

Granted that J Lo is bloody tidy, but just couldn't do it.

Indiana_Jones
25th November 2004, 16:03

I feel the same, it's funny how he says Bush bullshits, but that's all he does, half of those clips in the film have nothing to do with 2001 or Iraq :sly:

-Indy

John
25th November 2004, 16:35

bwahahahaha suttle very suttle (luv it btw!) :yeah:

badlieutenant
25th November 2004, 16:47
the incredibles is excellent. just a simple fun movie :) whens it due to be released. ??

Ms Piggy
25th November 2004, 16:51
Shrek 2. Bloody awesome
Yeah loved that movie & loved Puss in Boots - I went home and my cat looked at me with those BIG eyes! It was halarious!

I also really loved Lost in Translation :love2:

matthewt
25th November 2004, 20:36
Shrek 2 for me.

But then I've only seen Harry Potter, Shrek, and The Polar Express this year anyway.

You haven't got young kids have you Jim ??

James Deuce
25th November 2004, 20:59
You haven't got young kids have you Jim ??

Freakin' busted. At least I got to see the end of Polar Express. The other two were muntered by toilet breaks.

"I gotta do a weeee", at the top of his lungs in a quiet poignant bit, followed by a dash to the loo, followed by a ooo look it's the credits moment.

At least I got popcorn.

matthewt
25th November 2004, 21:30
Freakin' busted. At least I got to see the end of Polar Express. The other two were muntered by toilet breaks.

"I gotta do a weeee", at the top of his lungs in a quiet poignant bit, followed by a dash to the loo, followed by a ooo look it's the credits moment.

At least I got popcorn.

Tell me about it. I went to Shrek2 when Mason's kindy booked out an entire session. What a mistake, far too many kids and babies. Then 5 minutes from the end (just before Shrek storms in to save Fiona) I have to take my daugther to the toilets. Made it back just in time to see who was the lead animator for donkey.

Velox
25th November 2004, 23:14
That's why I liked "The Corporation" because it was a similar type of documentary without the "guided thinking" that Moore seems to create. It more just laid out the facts plainly without all the highly emotive rubbish.

Ghost Lemur
26th November 2004, 13:58
Top 5 movies of the year :D

1. Hero
2. Jisatsu circle (Suicide Club)
3. Once Upon A Time In Mexico
4. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
5. Diarios de motocicleta (Motorcycle Diaries)

Notable mentions go to...

Lost in translation, Gamle mænd i nye biler (Old men in new cars), Tian xia wu shuang (Chinese odessey 2002),...

I could go on for ages, but will stop now

Warning to pedants: Yes I know some of these movies are technically not from 2004, but this is the year in which I've seen them for the first time. :P

hodgeman
26th November 2004, 14:12
I'd have to say I ROBOT! :first:
It was great, had ties to Matrix and everything.
Shrek 2 is right Up there though.

The Invincibles should be awesome to, trailers look great!
Coming out Dec 26th, Made by Pixar (same company that made Toy Story I & II)

F5 Dave
26th November 2004, 14:29
Lost in Translation?!?? Can someone please tell me what was happening? Clearly there must have been more to it. To me it just looked like 2 bored losers in Japan & the old man (Bill Murray) kinda wanted to pork the young girl.

Oohh the subtle interosculate of the developing characters.

Shit I can wander around the local mall & see that.

We ended up leaving after what seemed like 4 hours.

Blakamin
26th November 2004, 14:37
The Invincibles should be awesome to, trailers look great!

It IS :yes: :cool: :bleh:

bear
26th November 2004, 15:18
Lost in Translation?!?? Can someone please tell me what was happening? Clearly there must have been more to it. To me it just looked like 2 bored losers in Japan & the old man (Bill Murray) kinda wanted to pork the young girl.

I'm with you F5 Dave, didn't quite butter my muffin - well if I had a muffin it wouldn't have been buttered :brick:

MrMelon
26th November 2004, 15:20
Ah yeah actually I think eternal sunshine of the spotless mind was the coolest movie I saw this year.

Lost in translation really didnt do it for me either :(

F5 Dave
26th November 2004, 15:23
I'm with you F5 Dave, didn't quite butter my muffin - well if I had a muffin it wouldn't have been buttered :brick:

Yeah I mean I wasn't expecting a car chase or Aliens (PS Forgotten has both & should be avoided as well) & expected an arty movie not ‘Stripes’ or ‘Ghost Busters’ but C’mon! :mad:

[edit] Yeah I wonder if the original screenplay was written in Japanese & the storyline was Lost in . . . :blank:

ok, lame but you tell me why they called it that.

bear
26th November 2004, 15:42
Interesting point (F5 Dave: why did they call it that), maybe the director and producer were natives to the filming location and didn't have a good grasp of english, and instructions to the actors were lost in translation - so the film didn't work out that well.

Skyryder
27th November 2004, 05:39

It was about two people whose chemistry 'clicked' and what might have been.

Good movie for the intelligentsia. But I suspect that you really have understood: using such words as 'interosculate.'

Skyryder