PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it upright - 53WNK

madbikeboy
25th February 2008, 09:31
Boys and girls, those who aren't sure,

I thought I had the save of the week after two wheelspinning moments on the scoot getting to and from the WestPac ride (cold rear, too much juice, bad bends and diesel...).

But, this morning, following a guy on his Yamaha on the wet and greasy beach road - going through the top bend of Castor Bay his rear stepped out about 6 inches - he saved it despite the touring tires, the huge pak rack, and the disability of his Yeha-mama...

Nice save buddy. Song of the day for you...? Paul Simon, Slip Sliding Away...

Madbikeboy.

georgie
25th February 2008, 14:32
Boys and girls, those who aren't sure,

I thought I had the save of the week after two wheelspinning moments on the scoot getting to and from the WestPac ride (cold rear, too much juice, bad bends and diesel...).

But, this morning, following a guy on his Yamaha on the wet and greasy beach road - going through the top bend of Castor Bay his rear stepped out about 6 inches - he saved it despite the touring tires, the huge pak rack, and the disability of his Yeha-mama...

Madbikeboy.

Glad I wasn't on the pillion seat then!

madbikeboy
25th February 2008, 16:50
I flew back early from Welly - stoked to get back until I walked off the plane and into cyclone bola... I didn't have your number so couldn't call... You would have enjoyed the ride.

I would have been super careful with Georgie on the back - by myself I tend to let the bike move around a little - it's the safest way to explore the limits, and when it slides in the dry it happens the same way, just loads faster...

James Deuce
25th February 2008, 17:02
I think you'll find his "touring tyres" are way better in the wet and greasy conditions than super sticky, mega-buck, race rep tyres. In fact most of the decent UK bike mags are saying that Sport Touring (Bike & TWO Wheels Only did comparative blind tests with "normal" riders) tyres are better in 99% of road riding than Supersport tyres, plus they last 5 times longer.

madbikeboy
25th February 2008, 17:26
I think you'll find his "touring tyres" are way better in the wet and greasy conditions than super sticky, mega-buck, race rep tyres. In fact most of the decent UK bike mags are saying that Sport Touring (Bike & TWO Wheels Only did comparative blind tests with "normal" riders) tyres are better in 99% of road riding than Supersport tyres, plus they last 5 times longer.

Quite right Jim2 -

I've been running Metzler M3's, they are more sports touring, they work better in cold rainy conditions than a full race rep tire... After all, how often does it rain in Auckland???

Not sure about the tire life - I've done maybe 1800 clicks and mine is so shagged...

jrandom
25th February 2008, 17:28
I've been running Metzler M3's... Not sure about the tire life - I've done maybe 1800 clicks and mine is so shagged...

That's because you're a ham-fisted rider on a thou. I know of a certain K7 750 shod with chicken-strip-free M3s that still have gobs of tread left after > 5000km.

:yes:

Edit: Actually, Metzeler aims the M3s at the same market as Michelin's Pilot Powers, etc. 'Sport' rather than 'sport touring'.

madbikeboy
25th February 2008, 17:37
That's because you're a ham-fisted rider on a thou. I know of a certain K7 750 shod with chicken-strip-free M3s that still have gobs of tread left after > 5000km.

:yes:

Edit: Actually, Metzeler aims the M3s at the same market as Michelin's Pilot Powers, etc. 'Sport' rather than 'sport touring'.

Hey JR,

I'm not at all hamfisted. Just enthusiastic. :oi-grr:

The difference is the torque. I used to get long time fun on my 750, but the 1000 gives them a harder life. I'm going to look at a K6 750 tomorrow night - living with temptation is proving to be a tough battle...

I've owned Pilot powers, and they're a good tire - I think the M3 is easier to live with, it's more progressive. The powers stick better, but a finer line between slip and grip. I'd rate the M3 below the power, and I think it's more sports tourer - depends which flavour of Power too.

jrandom
25th February 2008, 17:41
The difference is the torque. I used to get long time fun on my 750, but the 1000 gives them a harder life. I'm going to look at a K6 750 tomorrow night - living with temptation is proving to be a tough battle...

Aye, too true, too true.

I've owned Pilot powers, and they're a good tire - I think the M3 is easier to live with, it's more progressive. The powers stick better, but a finer line between slip and grip.

Good call. Almost exactly the same comment I've made here in the past vis-a-vis the PPs vs M3s debate. I'd rather ride on M3s with a sprotbike; if I need ultra grip I'll buy race tyres.

You'll get in serimouse trouble with the BDOTGNZA one of these days, you know.

madbikeboy
25th February 2008, 19:02
Aye, too true, too true.

Good call. Almost exactly the same comment I've made here in the past vis-a-vis the PPs vs M3s debate. I'd rather ride on M3s with a sprotbike; if I need ultra grip I'll buy race tyres.

You'll get in serimouse trouble with the BDOTGNZA one of these days, you know.

I thought we were playing well. It's the American influence. I say Data (day-ta), not darta. Tomaaa-toe. Aluminum. I blame George Bush. Not just for the bad English, but for Global warming and rap music too.

I'm always in trouble with BDOTGNZA. :nono: Been told off three times in as many days. Not even sure what it is, something to do with haemaroid cream isn't it? And that's before Katman reminds me of how awful I am riding at 101 kph. And Skidmark tells me how much it would suck being me owning two really awesome bikes and having the dosh to keep myself in nice leathers - I'm feeling envious of him and his Kwaka, no licence and ugly assed leathers that someone put into a dustbin before he rescued them to go racing.

This is like being in school all over again!?!?!?

I think I'll go look at my sprotbike... :)

slopster
25th February 2008, 20:55
53WNK - What an unfortunate number plate

jrandom
26th February 2008, 08:44
ugly assed leathers that someone put into a dustbin before he rescued them to go racing.

:lol:

Dude, be nice, Quasi loaned that brand new set of leathers to poor wee Mark so that he could ride safely on the track.

90s
26th February 2008, 10:58

Madbikeboy.

Have you been reading my sig?

I stepped the rear out about two foot on a patch of loose roadworks gravel a few months ago, but luckily at about 60k. I saved it by pure reaction dabbing a foot down (not a recommended strategy). Man I went cold all over! If I'dv'e thought about it at all I'm sure I would have done the wrong thing.

Song of that day - "Stepping out", The Fall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veo1qVNeppU

madbikeboy
26th February 2008, 16:57
:lol:

Dude, be nice, Quasi loaned that brand new set of leathers to poor wee Mark so that he could ride safely on the track.

Skidmark riding safely???? TUI.

Blue Velvet
27th February 2008, 09:12
K7 750 shod with chicken-strip-free M3s that still have gobs of tread left after > 5000km.

> 8000k, including two track days. I'm doing something wrong, obviously... :o

jrandom
27th February 2008, 09:19
> 8000k, including two track days. I'm doing something wrong, obviously... :o

Rear wear is all about how hard and how soon you get on the power, and front wear is all about how hard and how late you turn in under brakes.

You'll find yourself doing both of the above more over time as your skills grow.

Don't sweat it; just enjoy the halcyon n00b days of economical rubber usage...

Blue Velvet
27th February 2008, 09:27
n00b

:weep: <tencharacters>

jrandom
27th February 2008, 09:29
:weep: <tencharacters>

Hey, nothing wrong with being a n00b. I'm a n00b. It's great fun. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

My only hope is that when I eventually do acquire some skill on a motorcycle, the type of riding I'm doing now won't become boring.

I doubt that it will, so I'm not too worried.

:)

martybabe
27th February 2008, 10:09
Hey, nothing wrong with being a n00b. I'm a n00b. It's great fun. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

My only hope is that when I eventually do acquire some skill on a motorcycle, the type of riding I'm doing now won't become boring.

I doubt that it will, so I'm not too worried.

:)

Sir you go to far, you've clearly upset the woman with your random accusations of noobness. Why even her smiley has become crestfallen.

This is a thread about rubber and rubber products :drool: ,not an excuse to pull your noob finger out and jab it indescriminately at young maidens.

Thank you for your time.:wavey:

jrandom
27th February 2008, 10:16
an excuse to... jab it indescriminately at young maidens.

Any excuse will do.

:love:

madbikeboy
27th February 2008, 14:11
Rear wear is all about how hard and how soon you get on the power, and front wear is all about how hard and how late you turn in under brakes.

You'll find yourself doing both of the above more over time as your skills grow.

Don't sweat it; just enjoy the halcyon n00b days of economical rubber usage...

Umm, I'm getting between 1-2000 k's out of a rear. A lot more out of a front, perhaps 3k. I'm living on client lunches that the company pays for, and 2 minute noodles to keep in tires..

I seem to have the getting on the power early thing sorted. And I brake well deep into corners. Still no Valentino Rossi though... :o)

Jimmy B
27th February 2008, 14:32
Umm, I'm getting between 1-2000 k's out of a rear. A lot more out of a front, perhaps 3k. :o)

Sweet baby jebus madmikeboy - Praytell what sort of tyre pressure are you running :eek:

90s
28th February 2008, 09:24
Umm, I'm getting between 1-2000 k's out of a rear. A lot more out of a front, perhaps 3k.

This seems way out of whack even for running quite hard - scared me off a Busa that I would get only about 10,000ks from a set of tyres ...

The Pastor
28th February 2008, 09:26
Song of the day for you...? Paul Simon, Slip Sliding Away...

hate it when that song comes on when Im riding. Along with "highway to hell" and "jon bon jovi's blaze of glory"

Grub
28th February 2008, 09:34
Umm, I'm getting between 1-2000 k's out of a rear.

That's not right dude .... at the very worst you should get 4k (burnouts excluded). I'm with Jimmy B your pressures sound way too low

steveb64
28th February 2008, 11:30
That's not right dude .... at the very worst you should get 4k (burnouts excluded). I'm with Jimmy B your pressures sound way too low

Dunno about that - I only get 3-4 K out of a rear, and 6-8K from a front on my Duc - and it's not exactly a powerhouse - and I'm running Pirelli diablos. Another example - a mate hired a ZZR-1100 from Wellington once (so he could come on the ride with us) - the front tyre was pretty new, and they put a brand new rear on (we were heading from Wellington to Kerikeri and back for a long weekend (maybe Easter?). They had to put two new tyres on it when we got back... after about 2000 k's!
The things that seem to be the main contributors - how hard you gas it, the hp rating of the bike, how much you use the rear brake (I don't) and how hard you chuck it into the corners.

Mind you - I got a written reprimand from the NZPO (long time ago) for wearing out all four tyres on a Hiace van - in 8000km's! :Oops: :D ...and that was without ANY burnouts (or tyre rotation). And the tyres were always kept at the recommended pressures (on the bikes too!).

madbikeboy
28th February 2008, 11:55

I've expiremented a lot. I run 36/42 normally, but I've gone through a range either side. I've spent a lot of time tuning the suspension, now I'm getting good even wear out to the edge (nicely feathered). The crown of the tire wears because I tend to launch hard, and when it's upright, it will struggle for traction on heavy throttle openings.

I've had a few flavours on the rear - the M3's last pretty well considering.

I've talked to a lot of GSXR owners, a lot of owners do the Ohlins upgrade for the rear...

Did I mention that my gixer isn't completely stock, and the throttle isn't at risk of seizing anytime soon??

jrandom
28th February 2008, 12:02
madbikeboy, if you're going through rear tyres at that rate, you'll find that a good rear shock will pretty much pay for itself in short order.

PM boomer and ask him about the change in tyre wear on his K6 thou after he fitted his Ohlins shock.

You can stick with the tried and true Ohlins option, but you might want to have a chat to Shaun Harris about the Penske range he's importing now, too - a little birdie tells me that we'll be getting an in-depth review of how the Penske shocks perform on litrebikes after tomorrow's MotoTT.

:niceone:

madbikeboy
28th February 2008, 18:03
madbikeboy, if you're going through rear tyres at that rate, you'll find that a good rear shock will pretty much pay for itself in short order.

PM boomer and ask him about the change in tyre wear on his K6 thou after he fitted his Ohlins shock.

You can stick with the tried and true Ohlins option, but you might want to have a chat to Shaun Harris about the Penske range he's importing now, too - a little birdie tells me that we'll be getting an in-depth review of how the Penske shocks perform on litrebikes after tomorrow's MotoTT.

:niceone:

I'm looking at buying a k6/7 GSXR750, or a K7 1000. Undecided. I have the cash burning a hole in my pocket - but I know from experience that the 750 is much cheaper to live with.

If I were to keep scoot, I'd do the ohlins upgrade - it'd pay for itself reasonably quickly. And if I keep scoot and do the Ohlins rear, I'll look at doing the internals on the forks too. When do you know to stop spending money on working a bike? I know, it's a rethorical statement, you never stop spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm riding a K6 750 on the weekend, be interesting to see how it feels without the torque and hp of the 1000......

boomer
28th February 2008, 18:04
I have no wear marks now with proper suspension and set up; the rear looks like a babies back side. Smooth from one side to the other and grip to die for.

All i need now is some tyres that won't dance like a school kid under brakes!

ps.. Mr J Random.. she's a k7 :love:

madbikeboy
28th February 2008, 19:22
I have no wear marks now with proper suspension and set up; the rear looks like a babies back side. Smooth from one side to the other and grip to die for.

All i need now is some tyres that won't dance like a school kid under brakes!

ps.. Mr J Random.. she's a k7 :love:

Boomer!

Mine has an even wear across the tire, it no longer shreds towards the edge, instead it gets rolls that are even. The occasional burnout isnt great for it, but the centre wears out very quickly on the track and on the road (full throttle means the tire is getting a hard time...).

How much did you score the ohlins for?

Jimmy B
29th February 2008, 12:27
I put Ohlins on the X11 rear and its also made quite a difference to tyre wear, although shes not putting out nearly as much as a GSXR, bit heavier I spose. Prolly getting around 6-10K out of my rears.

Superbike mag thrashed some M3s in an 8 hour endurance track test, but rotated bikes. They got 450Kms on each in the time and said they were noticabley worn but had plenty left for the road. Overall impression was of a durable tyre but I've no doubt the'd have been cut inside the 1000k if they'd kept going.

jrandom
12th March 2008, 10:58

Heh!

I filtered down the northern motorway this morning behind that chap. 53WNK stood out like a sore thumb and jogged my memory.

I pulled up next to him at the lights downtown and said "hey, small world - someone I know saw you save a big slide on the road the other day, nice riding".

He shrugged and laughed and shook his head; he didn't remember the moment.

Still.

Cool, eh?

:sunny:

I wonder if he'll ever google his numberplate; he won't miss this thread if he does.

PS - he was wearing suit pants and dress shoes. Obviously not an ATGATT man. :laugh: