PDA

View Full Version : Foolish question: Sump Plug Washers

Bullitt
25th February 2008, 16:49
Rather silly but I need to know anyway.

Awhile back I did an oil change on my 600SS. Then drained the oil tray and awhile later did an oil change in a car. When I got around to draining the pan from that I found a sump washer in the now empty tray.

So it either belongs to my bike or my car, though I would have thought the car was more likely otherwise I would have lost it/noticed it.

So today Ive drained the oil in my bike again and found it was missing the sump washer. I put the one I found on and it fits perfectly but it only goes on as far as the thread rather than all the way down (see pic).

So Im guessing this is the one for it however I dont want to be wrong and have the washer floating randomly inside the engine.

So anyone whos done a Ducati oil change before is this the correct washer or not?

dickytoo
25th February 2008, 17:15
looking at the picture, i don't think its the one for your bike. the sump washer generally goes all the way down the threads and sits on the bottom of the bolt head so that it can seal against leaks. that washer looks too small.

FROSTY
25th February 2008, 17:21
nope wrong washer--its a car one

Bullitt
25th February 2008, 17:28
Ok we have a consensus then. Thanks...It would appear Ive therefore had two vehicles without washers:doh:

Animal
25th February 2008, 19:48
The unwashered masses?

cruza
3rd March 2008, 16:15
No to small, seals on the big flat face below the thread. From memory the sump plug threads into a brass insert in the crank case that makes it stronger and less likely to strip the threads by over tightening. Alu washer should do the trick , new one each oil change, as they cush and deform on torquing.

vifferman
4th March 2008, 07:31
Bike sump plug washers are usually aluminium, because the sumps are usually aluminium too, whereas car sumps are usually pressed steel, so a copper washer (or nothing) is the go.