PDA

View Full Version : Importing - How clean is clean!

Quickrik
26th February 2008, 23:56
Hiya,

I'm into the second day now of cleaning one of three bikes I'm exporting to NZ next week. How clean does it need to be to satisfy MAF. I mean I'm taking the callipers off and cleaning inside for example but you can't get ALL the muck off. But there are loads of nooks and cranneys on a bike you just can't to. Am I wasting my time trying to avoid MAF steam cleaning.

Ho hum best get back to the bucket and sponge!

Rik

ambler
27th February 2008, 01:31
I would say you are. I just brought some in and they all passed without a clean. Then again, they were all road bikes and from Tokyo which is not known for its muddy streets. YMMV for an offroad bike.

fliplid
27th February 2008, 01:38
I just gave mine a good pressure washing all over to make it look presentable and dirt free- no probs at all with MAF either.

slowpoke
27th February 2008, 02:34
My missus used to work for a guvvie Quarantine service and it all comes down to what biohazard does the imported object present. It's not about cleanliness exactly, it's more about plant and biological matter that may be present and which could pose a hazard to New Zealand's biodiversity.

Bottom line, it doesn't have to be surgically clean. If it takes more than a couple of hours then you are going over the top.

When we came back home after being in Oz I just gave the bike a typical wash, ensured there was no dirt accumulating in the belly pan, under the guards, or in tyre treads etc and it sailed through Quarantine no probs.

Hitcher
27th February 2008, 08:36
MAF is inspecting for signs of biological matter and unwanted organisms. This includes mud, plant matter and things like egg masses or webs deposited by insects or spiders. Even if your bike is clean, they will still want to examine all of its various nooks and crevices to assure themselves that nothing untoward is lurking there.

tri boy
27th February 2008, 08:52
Get it steamed cleaned at your end. If they see any sign of dirt or plant matter, they will have it cleaned by a contractor at your cost$$$$$$.
Plus NZ has enough foreign nasties already. Please don't bring more.:cool:

Quickrik
28th February 2008, 04:26
Well they're welcome to inspect every crevice they can find cause I've cleaned every one I could find!

Bren
28th February 2008, 06:20
what a laugh is our old MAF. gettin fussy with cars and bikes etc when they let all this coconut fibre into the country to go into potting mix...only to have it full of weeds!

Hitcher
28th February 2008, 07:46
what a laugh is our old MAF. gettin fussy with cars and bikes etc when they let all this coconut fibre into the country to go into potting mix...only to have it full of weeds!

Indeed. But the inspection processes for different imported goods *pathways* vary, depending on the items involved and the risks they pose. Not all imported goods are subjected to visual inspection or sampling, particularly where these are sourced from *credible* suppliers using good QA systems. Clearly in the case of the coconut fibre whoopsie, the supplier has dispatched material that was not in accordance with the requisite import health standard. Presumably those particular circumstances will not be repeated.

Shadows
29th February 2008, 17:24
Make sure the tyres are clean, it hasn't got twigs and leaves and shit sticking out of it and you'll be fine.

Its not like you're not getting the bike ready for a show or anything, and you definately don't need to start dismantling it!

Quickrik
1st March 2008, 03:57
I actually really enjoy cleaning my bikes, well maybe I like the results of my labour. I wish I had this sort of motivation to do a spring clean every year, they are looking excellently clean now.

Just got a letter from our shippers to say MAF shall be inspecting everything thats been on the ground basically, shoes, garden tools, bikes, etc.