PDA

View Full Version : Further bike parking in Wgtn?

nudemetalz
28th February 2008, 12:20
Greetings,

Been talking to WCC Parking today about the bike parkings.

Now, it’s looking fairly inevitable that we will have to pay to park our bikes whether it’s popular or not.
Question is, what do you people believe is a fair price for parking your bike per day?
Take into consideration it costs $10-14 per day to park a car and average of $6 per day to take the bus.

Also, what do you think about parking under cover, ie parking buildings?

Cheers,
NDMz

Str8 Jacket
28th February 2008, 12:25
Well I voted for "nothing why should I have to pay" but when I realised that what you are saying is that it is probably inevitable that they're gonna charge us (which they probably will) I voted for $2. As you say, cheaper than public transport.
Im still very dissapointed that they are looking at doing this, but I guess greed takes over eventually. IF they started providing bigger and better bike parks in great locations than maybe $2 wont kill anyone.

Not that any of this matters casue I dont and wont have a bike for aaaaaages!

Dodger
28th February 2008, 12:34
Sigh,
Nothing or $2.

(Although I'm not using bike parks at the mo as I can get the bike into the parking floor at work.)

Could be fun to police, what about short term parking?
If there were undercover secure parks around then I would pay more, but max would be $4 for the day.

judecatmad
28th February 2008, 12:49
In windy Wellington, how are they going to do this? Tickets sure as hell won't stay on bikes, and I imagine people without screens will be somewhat reluctant to use any adhesive ticket 'solution' the council may come up with.

And as for barrier car parks - how will they stop bikes just riding around the barriers?

Doesn't take much to confuse me, I'll admit that, but I am rather confused by the whole thing. I simply can't see it working.

And that's aside from the fact that I don't agree with the whole idea of having to pay to park your bike.

nudemetalz
28th February 2008, 13:34
In windy Wellington, how are they going to do this? Tickets sure as hell won't stay on bikes, and I imagine people without screens will be somewhat reluctant to use any adhesive ticket 'solution' the council may come up with.

The current idea is a ticketless system where the meter serves a bunch of designated numbered bays for motorcycles.
You pay for the bay and the warden can check the zone from the meter.
This is similar practice to what some carparks have got (in particular ChCh).
It will prevent sticky tickets etc.

Grub
28th February 2008, 13:58
Dear Councillors,

I'm sure that on the surface, the vote today, 2 March 06, on charging motorcycles $1 per hour for parking seems like a good idea. It may very well turn out to be an unwise decision if passed.

Motorcyclists use less resources, create far less pollution and take up less space both on the roads and in the city during the day. Surely it is the role of council to encourage the use of efficient and effective manners of transport, especially those which occupy minimal space. On environmental grounds alone, the use of motorcycles should be encouraged, not discouraged in a short visioned funds-grab.

Consider that I, the motorcyclist, puts up with the danger of other vehicles, minor or serious injury and the Wellington weather to have a cost-effective way of getting to work. It's not all beer and skittles. In winter, the benefits are extremely marginal - having to pay for making this contribution at $8 a day would be a penalty not worth it to me. If it costs the same to park the motorcycle as the car, why should I bother with the bike? I would revert to taking the car.

Multiply that result for everyone who currently uses a motorcycle and that would almost certainly mean hundreds more cars on the daily commute. On the other hand, no-cost parking as the price of fuel continues to rise would encourage car commuters to consider the motorcycle option equalling less congestion in the city, less pollution and more space for casual users of parking spaces.

The principle of user-pays is outwardly valid but when the user is already saving the council and the community major costs in congestion, environment and parking resources then in this case it is very short-sighted. The revenue from this plan is surely not worth the collateral costs.

The negative fallout from a Yes vote might far outweigh the apparent fiscal gain .

Swoop
28th February 2008, 14:02
Unless they are going to provide security for the parking spaces, or even covered parking, I personally wouldn't be paying anything.
To even compare a bike with a car, when it comes to parking, is mad. We have all been through the discussions about bikes are able to fit in areas that are unuseable to 4-wheeled transport.

James Deuce
28th February 2008, 14:13
It costs me nothing to park a car in Wellington because I have a work provided park. I'm not allowed to park a bike in it because Wilson Parking don't allow it.

If they charge us I'll have to sell the bikes and get a car. Which will cost me $100 pw to run and create vastly more pollution than a motorcycle. My standard of living drops, a "lifestyle option" is removed from my list of affordable stuff and I will bear WCC no end of ill will forever. Given that I am of unstable mind and body the repercussions may be more than the Council have bargained for.

I think it is a bit unkind to make this a public poll. This will give the Council the opportunity to collect names of those who object and target them specifically.

James Deuce
28th February 2008, 14:16
The current idea is a ticketless system where the meter serves a bunch of designated numbered bays for motorcycles.
You pay for the bay and the warden can check the zone from the meter.
This is similar practice to what some carparks have got (in particular ChCh).
It will prevent sticky tickets etc.

Hang on, how does that work? 1 bike per bay? How do you prove multiple bikes made multiple payments for a single bay? This will compound parking issues, not fix them.

nudemetalz
28th February 2008, 14:24
The poll is only to get an idea of what bikers think whether it be supportive or not and what they think.
There is no "data recording" or "name taking" on this.

The parking people here have been asking mine and a couple of other bikers here for opinions on their proposals and believe me, I am working to help us get more parks.

The parking bay idea is only one of the things they've come up with.

James Deuce
28th February 2008, 14:31
Could you make it a private poll then, 'cos this is a public website. :blip:

Pwalo
28th February 2008, 14:37
I think we may be only concentrating on a small part of the picture here, although it is a pretty important part for us motorcyclists.

Is the WCC actively trying to discourage people parking in the city? I realise that they have decided to become carbon neutral, but there is simply no way that the public transport system can cope now let alone if they manage to stop people bringing private vehicles into the city.

Strewth I'm paranoid today.

James Deuce
28th February 2008, 14:39
Strewth I'm paranoid today.
Nearly as bad as me, and that's saying something.

snuffles
28th February 2008, 14:47
i suppose 2 bucks is better than 4, and is that an all you can eat price or by the hour?

BOGAR
28th February 2008, 14:52
Considering that allot of motorbike spots are in places were you cant get a car to fit. i don't see why we should pay. As for the ticket were are they going to stick it, i would be tempted to charge them for removing the sticker if it leaves a mark on my bike. :crazy:
if they provide good safe parking then maybe but not sure how effective it would be.

Squiggles
28th February 2008, 14:58
Do they plan on marking out bays for you to park in? giving say 1.5metres per bay to allow even goldwings to fill them? I suspect they will find (as they would if they tried it here in auckland) that the number of parks would need to be doubled or tripled to allow the same number to fit. Fight it.

Disco Dan
28th February 2008, 23:00
I will continue to park wherever the fark I like.

Go to the pub in the city somewhere - park right next to the outside table where I am sitting. Simple.

Parking warden comes upto me "move it" ...move the handle bars and continue drinking. :devil2:

However: if i was going to spend at least a few hours, say shopping around CBD then I would not mind paying a small fee for SECURE parking. But the amount of cars that get broken into in those Wilson places is shocking.

DingoZ
28th February 2008, 23:08
Heard a sneaky rumour, WILL TRY TO CONFIRM OR QUASH, that for those that ride a 2 wheel conveyance in Wellington. Reading Cinemas is a good place to park, and this is the rumour part "It doesn't cost".....Will confirm or reveal as falsehood in a couple of days. But for a monitored carpark with cameras, and permanent booth operators, quite possibly a good deal for the inner city workers....

I'm lucky, can park the bike in the building where I work, only have to pay for parking when using the car....:)

But I agree with the statements, that there should be more parking available for motorcyclists, and it should be a mixture of curbside, and or secured building parks like the cagers have access to. At considerably less cost if a $ has to be attached to it...

Jiminy
28th February 2008, 23:48
Mmmmmmh, considering the big mess of bikes on the bike park on Mercer St, they will have fun trying to put paid parking in town. AND if they do, there's just gonna be more mess on Mercer.

And when will they introduce a fee for push bike parking again?

Insanity_rules
29th February 2008, 00:20
Oh man that idea sucks the BIG kumera.