PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ridden a Suzuki VZR M109 1800cc bike before?

Drogen Omen
28th February 2008, 12:48
i have just got my full license a couple weeks ago and wish to get a bigger bike, the wife loves coming for a ride on the back with me on the GN250 i am still riding, so thought i would get a big cruiser as she didn't really like the Honda CBR1000 RR i took for a test ride the other daywith her as the pillion seat is higher and i guess feels a bit scary.

If any one has riden one or owns one could you comment on it... eg does it suck big nut balls... is it wicked cool... and so on...

Your input and comments would be a big help.

:clap::clap::clap:

Devil
28th February 2008, 12:50
I'll get in before Big Dave makes some kind of remark regarding me being a bit different.

I didn't like it, but did like the Triumph Rocket III. Go buy one.

You'll never know till you ride it anyway.

90s
28th February 2008, 12:53
I'd be scared riding pillion on a blackbird when the rider just came from a ginny...

On a more serious note - although you have though carefully about this have you - your choice of bikes is very wide, from supersport tourers to cruisers. There are plenty of pillion friendly tourers if you liked the blackbird without getting a cruiser. VTR850 for example - great pillion bike.

Good luck on your search, but before you blow $18k+ are you sure wifey is committed to riding? Lifestyle changes mean mine isn't ... although its nice to have a bike that can take us when she is in the mood ...

Big Dave
28th February 2008, 12:54
I like a Rocket III better than a M109 too.
I just don't dislike a M109.

Drogen Omen
28th February 2008, 12:54
:scooter:

there are quite a few of them on Trade me also.

not sure if thats a good thein or a bad thing...

Devil
28th February 2008, 12:55
However, as mentioned above, go try a few others. There are plenty of other smaller capacity ones around that are really great bikes.

If I had $18k to spend on a cruiser right now, it would be a Triumph America without a second thought.

Drogen Omen
28th February 2008, 13:00
wife is definitley into riding the GN250 is her bike as she is still on her learners i usualy ride my Suzuki DR350 dual sport when its going but is in the shop at the mo getting a new CDI and various electrical work done on it...

thanks for your imput guys.

will have a look at the Triumph Rocket III, did a quick google on it and looks good. will see what Trademe offers on that bike when i get home.

kiwifruit
28th February 2008, 13:07
If you decide to go for the rocket 3 be sure to consider the added cost of the supercharger (http://www.tts-performance.com/rocket3supercharged.php)... as they are a little underpowered in stock trim

James Deuce
28th February 2008, 13:08
Search is your friend!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33274&highlight=M109R

Devil
28th February 2008, 13:10
If you decide to go for the rocket 3 be sure to consider the added cost of the supercharger (http://www.tts-performance.com/rocket3supercharged.php)... as they are a little underpowered in stock trim

Baaahahahahaahahahahaaaaa :2thumbsup

Drogen Omen
28th February 2008, 13:12
holy crap.... cheapest Triumph Rocket III on trademe is $28k....

the M109 i was looking at on tradme had a current bid of $12k

will keep looking i gues...

other option was let the wife play round on her GN250 and just be gready and get a bike for my self, i was looking at a Buell XB12S or XB9S... i have heared al sorts of critisisms about Buells...

Tank
28th February 2008, 13:17
You may enjoy this (http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/0610_crup_megatwin_motorcycle_comparison/index.html) read om MEGA TWINS (I love that term).

As an aside the same mag said they liked the 800 cc engine more than the 1800 - so you could look at the M50 (disclaimer - I have one and am a little biased)

not my bike in pic BTW

Drogen Omen
28th February 2008, 13:39
looking at the M109 again brings back memories of a me as a kid watching batman and seeng him jump on his big cruiser style batbike. same sort of lines shapes and that headlight that stand out a mile... love it...

but alas the wallet will need to build up a couple $k before i can buy a 2005 or 2006 model at round $12k to $17k...

will have to search round for second hand ones and see what i come up with...

Monkeyboy
28th February 2008, 15:34
I rode my father's M109R from Tekapo to Pukaki and back. I really enjoyed it. They handle very well I thought for a cruiser. It has a grunty fuel injected engine (120 hp) and has brakes off a GSXR1000. The tyres are very low profile , so it's designed to perform. The rear tyre is 240 mm wide, the largest on any production bike apparently.

Edbear
28th February 2008, 15:38
Check my thread in bike and product reviews, "M109R I think I get it".

unrealone
28th February 2008, 15:40
That suzuki needs a god damn nose job :(

Big Dave
28th February 2008, 16:26
he rear tyre is 240 mm wide, the largest on any production bike apparently.

One of the few things 'wrong' with the bike.
Coupled with the super low profile you have to make low speed allowances for it.

madbikeboy
28th February 2008, 17:11
So, let me get this straight?

You've just gotten your full licence. And you want to go straight from that to an 1800 v-twin... One with a very wide rear tire? And you're going to put your wife on the back...?

Because you seem a bit simple, I'll ask it another way - you're going from a learner bike to the largest capacity tourer in one jump...

Would you be kind enough to mount some camera's on your new bike, it won't be of any use to you, but afterwards, we'll replay the footage for years. :crybaby:

Popcorn anyone?? :jerry:

James Deuce
28th February 2008, 17:14
It's less of an issue than you think it is madbikeboy.

madbikeboy
28th February 2008, 17:21
I'm just thrilled that he isn't considering a 1000cc sportsbike.

It's still a jump, I think my point is that there is a happy middle ground and his experience is likely to be better going to the middle ground first....

Bless his enthusiasm. (Read between the lines here...).

Drogen Omen
28th February 2008, 18:48
I have plenty of experiance riding bikes of all sizes... the diference is now that i finaly got my full i can now do it legaly... i Had my restricted for about 6 years just never got round to geting my full till now...

The GN250 and the DR350 are the only bikes i own at the moment but my step dad has a vn900 that i ride quite often...

Have also raced a Honda CBX250 and a work mates Triumph TT600 and KTM 500 motard at manfield track days.

So i know how to handle a bike and probs race past most of you on the motorway on my GN250 from Upper Hutt to Welly and back... 18 mins today from thorndon quey to my garage.

Thunder 8
28th February 2008, 19:05

You've just gotten your full licence. And you want to go straight from that to an 1800 v-twin... One with a very wide rear tire? And you're going to put your wife on the back...?

Because you seem a bit simple, I'll ask it another way - you're going from a learner bike to the largest capacity tourer in one jump...

Would you be kind enough to mount some camera's on your new bike, it won't be of any use to you, but afterwards, we'll replay the footage for years. :crybaby:

:laugh:Hahahahahaha.....:clap:

madbikeboy
28th February 2008, 19:26
I have plenty of experiance riding bikes of all sizes... the diference is now that i finaly got my full i can now do it legaly... i Had my restricted for about 6 years just never got round to geting my full till now...

The GN250 and the DR350 are the only bikes i own at the moment but my step dad has a vn900 that i ride quite often...

Have also raced a Honda CBX250 and a work mates Triumph TT600 and KTM 500 motard at manfield track days.

So i know how to handle a bike and probs race past most of you on the motorway on my GN250 from Upper Hutt to Welly and back... 18 mins today from thorndon quey to my garage.

So not such a big leap after all given the time and the range of bikes. Sounds like your GN is an awesome beast, closer to racer than learner... :shutup:

Animal
28th February 2008, 19:32
Toaster has one, and he loves it.

Might be worth contacting him and getting a first-hand opinion on the bike.

Tank
28th February 2008, 20:03

LOL - madbikeboy got owned!

"Because you seem a bit simple" I'll point out you shouldnt make assumptions.....:doh::doh:

Patch
28th February 2008, 20:15
they're big

they're bad

they're slow

they're damn ugly

built like a tank really

rainman
28th February 2008, 20:24
Toaster has one, and he loves it.

bmz2 has one as well.

Watch out though, if you get one of these you'll be spending all your dough on bling!

Meself, if I was looking for a bigger cruiser (or if I suddenly won the lotto and didn't need to commute), I'd get the C109R (http://www.suzuki.co.nz/motorcycles/bike.gallery/c109rk8.c.800.jpg). Mmmmmm, one sexy motorcycle... :drool:

Tank
28th February 2008, 20:24
they're big

they're bad

they're slow

they're damn ugly

built like a tank really

OI - Im trying to lose weight - comments like that are just plain hurtful.:weep:

:2thumbsup

Cr1MiNaL
28th February 2008, 20:47
It's a Honda.

marty
28th February 2008, 21:34
What's a Honda? The M109?

I took the Road and Sport demo for a spin. Bit of a laugh - plenty of grunt though, but I had issue with dragging my heels when cornering. Was concerned to see some rust showing on a few bolt-heads - a bit like a GN250 really! Wouldn't want to leave it out in the rain.....

Cr1MiNaL
28th February 2008, 21:45
i have just got my full license a couple weeks ago and wish to get a bigger bike, the wife loves coming for a ride on the back with me on the GN250 i am still riding, so thought i would get a big cruiser as she didn't really like the Honda CBR1000 RR i took for a test ride the other daywith her as the pillion seat is higher and i guess feels a bit scary.

If any one has riden one or owns one could you comment on it... eg does it suck big nut balls... is it wicked cool... and so on...

No not the m109 I was referring to this initial post... the only one I read :clap: so here goes... dude.....?? its a Honda.:wacko:

Big Dave
28th February 2008, 22:02
It’s sure got some hurry up.

When they ship me off to the great Jay Leno Garage in the Sky I’m going to ask for a motorcycle like the Suzuki M109R Boulevard to be included thanks.

One of these babies in the shed is a mighty easy treat to live with.

All those subtly conniving digs around the KR office that our mate Stretch’s riding skill was being wasted testing cruiser after cruiser paid off.

He was happily wheelie-ing off into the distance on a sports bike and my lucky bum ended up aboard Suzuki’s latest, sharp looking piece of heavy equipment.

Sharp looking and bling plus in fact.

‘A 2 wheeled Lexus’ one of the boys commented. It’s not a bad analogy either: luxury, good quality and value from a Japanese manufacturer ‘evolving’ a style of vehicle.

Just like some Lexus’ are hard to tell from a Merc at a distance, you don’t have to look too closely at the silver M109R to see a lot of Milwaukee.

That’s one of the nay Sayers argument with the bike. American hard-core cronies gave me the angle that a bike of this style should be exclusively American.

My answer was: It’s $19,995, accelerates like a Hyabusa in second gear as stock and…just look at it!

Others give me the ‘it’s form over function’ line, and while nobody can argue that cruisers sacrifice out and out handling performance for style, I can confirm Vege wasn’t wrong when he chucked me the keys and said ‘It’s got some hurry up!’

But Cruisers are just as much about looks and comfort too. If you like making an entrance, you can do much worse than parking this beastie in the front door.

It is in fact a more effective head turner with your Joe Average Non Motorcyclist than anything else I’ve ridden.

Seriously. I noticed more heads turning its way than on many of the big Hogs or Euros.

Non-riders think that it’s a $70,000 unit off the Discovery Channel biker shows.

The styling is quite ‘different’, integrated, with its big headlight nacelle and sweeping lines - of which it has plenty. There is lots of infill bodywork, around the headstock and tank and radiator that works really well and the rear quarter angle is a peach. The fit and finish overall appeared top notch. The chrome looks deep and the paint lustrous. Even the castings on the brake reservoir lid are impeccable. It’s a sharp looking thing.

Perhaps it’s the very integrated style with the silver paint that fits with the acres of chrome, some of it chromed plated plastic, but it’s all bling nonetheless.

A rather dishy office babe about my vintage stopped for a chat about the bike and to pay it a compliment on College Hill when I was out solo. (I suspect a single man would have successfully invited her for a spin), a wagon full of hoodied Subaru-sters made approving grins and thumbs up gestures on the Manakau off ramp, even the well inked truckie on the Newmarket flyover gave it a honk and thumbs up of approval.

It’s also amazingly comfortable for the rider. Low slung, with feet forward and a saddle as wide as a lounge bar cubicle.

Coupled with the high, pull back risers and downward angled, tapered drag bars put the grips to hand with wrists in a completely neutral position - It’s just a delight to spend hours whiling away NZ an smelling the roses – city or country.

The passenger is not nearly as well catered for with Co-pilot rating the pillion offering ‘below average’. As she has done with every bike we have tested in this class. It’s a solo unit for all but a quick cruise or a stoic bird.

However a solo jaunt is close to the optimum in opulent ergonomic comfort. A little more rear suspension travel would make it ‘lounge chair’.

Some of the bikes attraction is also the deep throated and quite tasty rumble from 1,783cc of 112mm bore x 90.5mm stroke as it exits the large, (yet more) chrome exhaust system.

‘No substitute for Cubic Inches, Davey boy’ The Publisher once told me, ‘Particularly to the way it sounds.’

It kinda sounds like a V8 muscle car when you give it a handful.

I didn’t worry too much about fuel consumption figures – because it was too much fun riding it in a gear (or two) lower than the torque monster needs. Not raucously loud, but wicking it up and letting it run down to the traffic lights just had me grinning like an idiot’ how cool’s that!’

Engine breaking on the open road is a sound it behold too – in spite of how well the Radial 4 Pot front and twin pot rear brakes wash off the speed that the bike can acquire very rapidly. Just let it run down to the bends.

It has a large, flat tank that takes about 17litres from the warning light coming on. An LCD fuel gauge is in the tank mounted instrument cluster.

Tank range is about average. If mpg is a key criteria – an 1800 isn’t for you anyway.

The first time I went to back it out of the KR car park I was surprised at how lightweight it felt. When I checked that it was in fact 315kg dry I was quite surprised. The weight is low down in the bike and it is well balanced – this gorilla found it pretty easy to manoeuvre with feet down. The low saddle height of 700mm helps and puts in the manageable range for most people.

That said, there are a few things you have to ride around on all big cruisers – ground clearance for starters. Forward controls and a low-slung seat and frame means foot pegs on tarmac is a reasonably regular occurrence. Nothing to worry about - just the M109’s way of letting you know that there is still a bit to go before the frame digs in.

You also have to make allowances for the phat – yes PHAT, 240 section and super low profile rear Tyre. It looks fabulous (what it’s supposed to do) and puts the power to the ground impressively, but you need to have the bike facing the right direction somewhat before giving it the full herbs away from a standstill – over 20kph and you can just nail it and it is a most rewarding surge. Turning right across Remuera road at the lights is more than a simple flick of the hips. Get it lined up first and it’s all good.

The Big Dave Cruiser ‘Scritch’ Index rated the Zook ahead of a Fat Boy and about par with a Rocket III.

On the open road and in good conditions you can comfortably put it through the bends at anything up to 15kph over the advisory signs without contact. Getting between the bends compensates.

Opening up the throttle sees the big vee have a big old shake and get very rapid very quickly – a quite intoxicating surge, in virtually any gear and it pulls quickly and steadily to the 7,000rpm redline. Yeah! 1800cc, 56mm EFI, Water cooled, 4 valves per cylinder, running 10.5:1 compression in it’s 54º Twin and it pulls 7,000rpm! – Launching it from the lights and overtaking is a joyous surge.

And Grunt. Pile driver grunt. Sitting at the traffic lights the motor thumps out the rhythmic thump of a construction site with a pile driver working in the distance.

Yet it’s impressively smooth – it’s only under heavy load and giving it a real handful that the engine’s vibes reminding you that there is 1.8litres down there. The rest of the time, cruising or puttering around town it’s as smooth as a multi. But then 60 to 100kph takes about 6 cycles of the engine and a blink of the eye – even in top gear.

Front forks are USD oil damped units and the whole front end works well – the bike is solid and well balanced on the open road and it all complements the relaxed ergonomics. It’s very easy to roll away the ks.

Final drive is by a tidy shaft with very little slap or free play. The Gearbox must be getting close to tractor size and can give a quite agricultural clunk form first to second when giving it the business, but it’s more the size of the components than any fault.

The tank-mounted speedo is analogue with digital odometer and usual array of trip gauges and warning lights. The tacho is LCD and mounted above the drag bars in it’s own integrated housing. Pretty neat effect.

Overall that’s what I though about the M109R: Pretty neat and great, grunty, bucket loads of shoot-you-out-of-a-cannon-feet-first fun.

Whatever handling sacrifices the cruiser makes in the pursuit of out and out style and comfort are compensated for by how good it looks and a solid dose of feel good.

It turns heads, looks a million bucks, has some very tidy lines, is as comfortable as the day is long, has great style and is wonderful fun to ride around doing about the speed limit - and not taking very long at all to reach it.

‘It’s sure got some hurry up!’

homer
28th February 2008, 22:23
go from a GN to a m109

you ll bin it
gurantee it

Drogen Omen
29th February 2008, 07:53
Now that’s the kind of constructive criticism I was looking for... Not pot shots at my riding ability.

Bikers bitching and moaning about bikes... ya gota love it… hahaha

So the result I think is that the M109 is built like a tank, rusts easily, will experience some heel grindage when cornering, $$$ and someone said it was freakin huge…

Cheers for your input guys. Much appreciated… will test ride the M109 and some more bikes I think, before I make my mind up.

madandy
29th February 2008, 08:33
Big Daves write up is fuckin good.
I think you'll do just fine going from your experience onto any big cruiser.

90s
29th February 2008, 08:34
Now that’s the kind of constructive criticism I was looking for... Not pot shots at my riding ability.

Bikers bitching and moaning about bikes... ya gota love it… hahaha

So the result I think is that the M109 is built like a tank, rusts easily, will experience some heel grindage when cornering, $$$ and someone said it was freakin huge…

Cheers for your input guys. Much appreciated… will test ride the M109 and some more bikes I think, before I make my mind up.

It goes like a busa ... for a bit ... but as you were looking at a blackbird to start with and originally were thinking of sport tourers why not add the busa to your list to? Pillion position seems pretty good on those, and then when the missus isn't riding you'll be riding a busa and not a cruiser.
The M109 does look awesome though. I think it was Toaster I followed down the road once on his, and the rear tyre looks like a cartoon bike - like Judge Dredds bike in fact. Everyone on the st was looking - and they all loved it.
Sadly if you get the sport bike you'll get leery kids, envy and challenges ... but you are right - its your choice.

Fasntastic review Did D

Edbear
29th February 2008, 08:38
It’s sure got some hurry up.

When they ship me off to the great Jay Leno Garage in the Sky I’m going to ask for a motorcycle like the Suzuki M109R Boulevard to be included thanks.

One of these babies in the shed is a mighty easy treat to live with.

All those subtly conniving digs around the KR office that our mate Stretch’s riding skill was being wasted testing cruiser after cruiser paid off.

He was happily wheelie-ing off into the distance on a sports bike and my lucky bum ended up aboard Suzuki’s latest, sharp looking piece of heavy equipment.

Sharp looking and bling plus in fact.

‘A 2 wheeled Lexus’ one of the boys commented. It’s not a bad analogy either: luxury, good quality and value from a Japanese manufacturer ‘evolving’ a style of vehicle.

Just like some Lexus’ are hard to tell from a Merc at a distance, you don’t have to look too closely at the silver M109R to see a lot of Milwaukee.

That’s one of the nay Sayers argument with the bike. American hard-core cronies gave me the angle that a bike of this style should be exclusively American.

My answer was: It’s $19,995, accelerates like a Hyabusa in second gear as stock and…just look at it!

Others give me the ‘it’s form over function’ line, and while nobody can argue that cruisers sacrifice out and out handling performance for style, I can confirm Vege wasn’t wrong when he chucked me the keys and said ‘It’s got some hurry up!’

But Cruisers are just as much about looks and comfort too. If you like making an entrance, you can do much worse than parking this beastie in the front door.

It is in fact a more effective head turner with your Joe Average Non Motorcyclist than anything else I’ve ridden.

Seriously. I noticed more heads turning its way than on many of the big Hogs or Euros.

Non-riders think that it’s a $70,000 unit off the Discovery Channel biker shows.

The styling is quite ‘different’, integrated, with its big headlight nacelle and sweeping lines - of which it has plenty. There is lots of infill bodywork, around the headstock and tank and radiator that works really well and the rear quarter angle is a peach. The fit and finish overall appeared top notch. The chrome looks deep and the paint lustrous. Even the castings on the brake reservoir lid are impeccable. It’s a sharp looking thing.

Perhaps it’s the very integrated style with the silver paint that fits with the acres of chrome, some of it chromed plated plastic, but it’s all bling nonetheless.

A rather dishy office babe about my vintage stopped for a chat about the bike and to pay it a compliment on College Hill when I was out solo. (I suspect a single man would have successfully invited her for a spin), a wagon full of hoodied Subaru-sters made approving grins and thumbs up gestures on the Manakau off ramp, even the well inked truckie on the Newmarket flyover gave it a honk and thumbs up of approval.

It’s also amazingly comfortable for the rider. Low slung, with feet forward and a saddle as wide as a lounge bar cubicle.

Coupled with the high, pull back risers and downward angled, tapered drag bars put the grips to hand with wrists in a completely neutral position - It’s just a delight to spend hours whiling away NZ an smelling the roses – city or country.

The passenger is not nearly as well catered for with Co-pilot rating the pillion offering ‘below average’. As she has done with every bike we have tested in this class. It’s a solo unit for all but a quick cruise or a stoic bird.

However a solo jaunt is close to the optimum in opulent ergonomic comfort. A little more rear suspension travel would make it ‘lounge chair’.

Some of the bikes attraction is also the deep throated and quite tasty rumble from 1,783cc of 112mm bore x 90.5mm stroke as it exits the large, (yet more) chrome exhaust system.

‘No substitute for Cubic Inches, Davey boy’ The Publisher once told me, ‘Particularly to the way it sounds.’

It kinda sounds like a V8 muscle car when you give it a handful.

I didn’t worry too much about fuel consumption figures – because it was too much fun riding it in a gear (or two) lower than the torque monster needs. Not raucously loud, but wicking it up and letting it run down to the traffic lights just had me grinning like an idiot’ how cool’s that!’

Engine breaking on the open road is a sound it behold too – in spite of how well the Radial 4 Pot front and twin pot rear brakes wash off the speed that the bike can acquire very rapidly. Just let it run down to the bends.

It has a large, flat tank that takes about 17litres from the warning light coming on. An LCD fuel gauge is in the tank mounted instrument cluster.

Tank range is about average. If mpg is a key criteria – an 1800 isn’t for you anyway.

The first time I went to back it out of the KR car park I was surprised at how lightweight it felt. When I checked that it was in fact 315kg dry I was quite surprised. The weight is low down in the bike and it is well balanced – this gorilla found it pretty easy to manoeuvre with feet down. The low saddle height of 700mm helps and puts in the manageable range for most people.

That said, there are a few things you have to ride around on all big cruisers – ground clearance for starters. Forward controls and a low-slung seat and frame means foot pegs on tarmac is a reasonably regular occurrence. Nothing to worry about - just the M109’s way of letting you know that there is still a bit to go before the frame digs in.

You also have to make allowances for the phat – yes PHAT, 240 section and super low profile rear Tyre. It looks fabulous (what it’s supposed to do) and puts the power to the ground impressively, but you need to have the bike facing the right direction somewhat before giving it the full herbs away from a standstill – over 20kph and you can just nail it and it is a most rewarding surge. Turning right across Remuera road at the lights is more than a simple flick of the hips. Get it lined up first and it’s all good.

The Big Dave Cruiser ‘Scritch’ Index rated the Zook ahead of a Fat Boy and about par with a Rocket III.

On the open road and in good conditions you can comfortably put it through the bends at anything up to 15kph over the advisory signs without contact. Getting between the bends compensates.

Opening up the throttle sees the big vee have a big old shake and get very rapid very quickly – a quite intoxicating surge, in virtually any gear and it pulls quickly and steadily to the 7,000rpm redline. Yeah! 1800cc, 56mm EFI, Water cooled, 4 valves per cylinder, running 10.5:1 compression in it’s 54º Twin and it pulls 7,000rpm! – Launching it from the lights and overtaking is a joyous surge.

And Grunt. Pile driver grunt. Sitting at the traffic lights the motor thumps out the rhythmic thump of a construction site with a pile driver working in the distance.

Yet it’s impressively smooth – it’s only under heavy load and giving it a real handful that the engine’s vibes reminding you that there is 1.8litres down there. The rest of the time, cruising or puttering around town it’s as smooth as a multi. But then 60 to 100kph takes about 6 cycles of the engine and a blink of the eye – even in top gear.

Front forks are USD oil damped units and the whole front end works well – the bike is solid and well balanced on the open road and it all complements the relaxed ergonomics. It’s very easy to roll away the ks.

Final drive is by a tidy shaft with very little slap or free play. The Gearbox must be getting close to tractor size and can give a quite agricultural clunk form first to second when giving it the business, but it’s more the size of the components than any fault.

The tank-mounted speedo is analogue with digital odometer and usual array of trip gauges and warning lights. The tacho is LCD and mounted above the drag bars in it’s own integrated housing. Pretty neat effect.

Overall that’s what I though about the M109R: Pretty neat and great, grunty, bucket loads of shoot-you-out-of-a-cannon-feet-first fun.

Whatever handling sacrifices the cruiser makes in the pursuit of out and out style and comfort are compensated for by how good it looks and a solid dose of feel good.

It turns heads, looks a million bucks, has some very tidy lines, is as comfortable as the day is long, has great style and is wonderful fun to ride around doing about the speed limit - and not taking very long at all to reach it.

‘It’s sure got some hurry up!’

Yeah, that's what I said...:yes:

madbikeboy
29th February 2008, 18:11
LOL - madbikeboy got owned!

"Because you seem a bit simple" I'll point out you shouldnt make assumptions.....:doh::doh:

Owned? Nope. I still reckon it'd be a good idea for a middle ground instead of the biggest capacity straight away. But I'm sure someone who thinks a GN is fast has a solid frame of reference...

Have you considered a Harley Sportster (883)? That'll be closer to what you're used to, and you'll have fun on it...

madbikeboy
29th February 2008, 18:35
go from a GN to a m109

you ll bin it
gurantee it

Reaching for the bling switch and giving up two thumbs up... :niceone: :niceone:

limbimtimwim
29th February 2008, 19:12
It's a very easy bike to ride. It has a low seat height and looses it's rather massive heft very very quickly. And very popular, so I'd expect there be some good deals to be found used.

It's a Suzuki however, so it'll depreciate real fast and you'll have to keep it clean to keep the corrosion demon at bay.

homer
29th February 2008, 21:28
Reaching for the bling switch and giving up two thumbs up... :niceone: :niceone:

Oh come on
only a two thumbs up

i thought it was worth more than that

na you go get one you ll like it . I quite like them actually

crash harry
1st March 2008, 07:49
You test rode a fireblade, and now you're thinking about an M109R instead - schitzophrenic any?

In all seriousness though, if you thought a 'blade pushed your buttons, an M109R is everything a blade isn't and a blade is everything an M109 isn't. They don't really play the same game.

Now, caveat, I haven't ridden an M109R, but there's one I see on the way to work about 1 morning in 3. It really can't corner. The dude on it rides hard, he scrapes hard parts sometimes through a couple of corners but I tend to go past him on the R1 like he's not there. Not that I'm bragging that I can out corner a crusier on my sprotsbike - that's no real achievement I admit - but it really is night and day.

Having said that, it's definitely got some toe. It jumps off the line from the lights like it's been stung, which is quite a statement about the big bag of torques it must have hidden away in there for such a heavy-looking bike.

In conclusion, I would say she's a big beast and I reckon she probably rides like one. But that's not a critisism, it's what a big crusier is, and that's what you buy them for. Regardless of what bike you choose, be sure you can live with it's shortcomings (they all have some).

Though a Blackbird CBR1100XX (which I gather is not what you test rode, despite what a couple of earlier posts said - pretty sure you said CBR1000RR) might be a good compromise between the sprots and the crusier. Almost as much urge off the mark as the M109, better handling when you're by yourself, better pillion comfort than either (depends a bit on the size and shape of the pillion though which bike they prefer)

bmz2
1st March 2008, 12:38
Are crap it's all been said. goes like rocket ship , and the ass end is what the bike is about . Toaster bike is a 250 rear end, not a 240. he has little way to catch up to 280 that i run . there are a few mods to make this beast better , ext riser 2". helps the riding postion, 250 to 280 rear, although i'm looking to go up to 300 rear, plus air ride kit. shit heres a couple of pics , make your own mind up, this bike is easy to ride. and it does corner well. one thing who said it rusts BULLSHIT.

Devil
1st March 2008, 12:57
I've just had an M109 overnight again. it's absolutely horrid in the corners. The profile of that rear tyre just does no justice to the handling of the bike.

Ground clearance is terrible.

Having now spent a few hours and plenty of k's with a rocket III and an M109R, I just feel like second best, riding the M109R.
I'd rather have no bike and wait to save up the extra $10k to buy a rocket, than buy a 109 and just be sitting there thinking it's not even half the bike I could have had. But if you've never ridden a Rocket you wont know the half of what you're missing.

bmz2
1st March 2008, 13:47
I've just had an M109 overnight again. it's absolutely horrid in the corners. The profile of that rear tyre just does no justice to the handling of the bike.

Ground clearance is terrible.

Having now spent a few hours and plenty of k's with a rocket III and an M109R, I just feel like second best, riding the M109R.
I'd rather have no bike and wait to save up the extra $10k to buy a rocket, than buy a 109 and just be sitting there thinking it's not even half the bike I could have had. But if you've never ridden a Rocket you wont know the half of what you're missing.

you are ridind a stock bike dude, they need a grand spent on them. But i am not going to tell people what has to be done . i have spent to many hours on getting the mods correct, and the dealers seem to know best . funny that the m109's end up at my place to have the mods done, and the owners now say that the bike rides 100% better than ever . corners better than ever, out corners vrods and rocket 3s, sounds better and riding postion is correct. the m109 is a beast and if the mods are done this bike for the price is well worth having. and it is a vee twin .

90s
1st March 2008, 16:26
Though a Blackbird CBR1100XX (which I gather is not what you test rode, despite what a couple of earlier posts said - pretty sure you said CBR1000RR)

Yeah, my bad sorry.
Why you would think a fireblade would make a good regular two-up machine is beyond me. That's why I thought CBR1100.
I stand by what I said though, and now if the fireblade floated you boat but you want a good two-up sport machine you must try the blackbird.

Can't have been toaster I saw on Lincoln rd then as it was the full two-foot tyre job. (checked my old post - it was bmz2 - with coolest number plate now that I remember ... )

Anyway, when you try a few bikes posts your reviews here and let us know what you choose.

limbimtimwim
1st March 2008, 20:15
one thing who said it rusts BULLSHIT.People like me who park their bikes (Mostly) outside 12 months of the year and clean them the week after they buy it and the week before they sell it know their Suzukis corrode at a faster rate than their Hondas. It's just what happens.

bmz2
1st March 2008, 21:59
People like me who park their bikes (Mostly) outside 12 months of the year and clean them the week after they buy it and the week before they sell it know their Suzukis corrode at a faster rate than their Hondas. It's just what happens.

the m109r is plastic. plastic does not rust

Big Dave
1st March 2008, 22:23
the m109r is plastic. plastic does not rust

Neil Young meets 2008.

bmz2
1st March 2008, 22:33
Neil Young meets 2008.

:jerry: Shit, it time to go and do some more mods. Go and take some plastic bits off and replace with steel so it will rust.

Wingnut
2nd March 2008, 09:14
:jerry: Shit, it time to go and do some more mods. Go and take some plastic bits off and replace with steel so it will rust.

Bro - thought you would have been all modded out by now!!!:niceone:

bmz2
2nd March 2008, 15:39
Bro - thought you would have been all modded out by now!!!:niceone:

not yet dude . the bike is in mod mode again . Wheels are now powder coat wet black, more chrome on the way . engine side cover with LEDs , engine guards, indicator in smoke glass, air ride kit,still leave the 3" lower links on but it will give me the ride height i want on any type of road. Will be able to raise the bike up 4" and down 4",chrome gauges temp and clock, chrome swing arm. . Had the bike on the dyno 147hp at rear with the air mods and injectors. and the torque 136 at 3200rpm.just looking at a phat front as well push the front from 130 to a 160 metz a rear tire on the front:whistle: but i should not say to much oh here.:argue:the exhaust sound great now after more mods to it.:buggerd:

Edbear
2nd March 2008, 18:26
. . Had the bike on the dyno 147hp at rear with the air mods and injectors. and the torque 136 at 3200rpm...:

That's impressive! What's that, about 22hp up on standard? That's about a Enfield Bullet added on...

bmz2
2nd March 2008, 19:52
That's impressive! What's that, about 22hp up on standard? That's about a Enfield Bullet added on...

about 22 hp ED. there are some mods to push the 160hp but they come at a cost. There are some new cams in production , they will be ready mid next month. So hang on all those m109r riders because the bike will be a real rocket ship.The dealers still don't know about the mods for these bikes, so they could set the bike up correctly for each owners requirements, such as height ,weight and riding position.

Edbear
2nd March 2008, 19:58
...So hang on all those m109r riders because the bike will be a real rocket ship...

Ummm! Like it's a pretend one now, right? :yes:To be honest I thought it was plenty real enough when I rode one!!!:bye:

bmz2
2nd March 2008, 20:03
Ummm! Like it's a pretend one now, right? :yes:To be honest I thought it was plenty real enough when I rode one!!!:bye:

it will rock your boat when they get it sorted.they have just done a turbo one. But it is but ugly

Edbear
2nd March 2008, 20:07
I'd be interested to know just how well they go, there are a few issues when trying to turbo a v-twin. Haven't heard much lately as to how well they go and how well people have got them sorted.

Toaster
2nd March 2008, 20:09
The M109R is my fifth bike.

Personally I really enjoy the bike as great value for the money, when you compare them to the likes of the Triumph Rocket or the Harley Davidson V-Rod.

All three of those bikes are great but given the significantly cheaper RRP of the big Boulevard I prefer the styling, size and feel of the Suzuki muscle cruiser any day.

The Victory would be an interesting ride to compare at some stage and is a tad closer to "chopper" as is the M109R over the other two options.

It's a bike that gets great comments, looks great in the flesh, sounds great on the road and even better with modified exhausts. I love it.

On the specs side, yes I run a 250 rear tyre, which is only 4mm narrower than a 280 on the stock rim but gives a 10mm higher profile which makes it a tad more round than the stock 240... and much more so than the very flat looking 280 on a stock rim.

That big headlight shroud acts as a very good wind buffer too.... which is exactly why it is the way it is, and makes it nice and original.

A popular bike and lots of fun to ride and packed with torque. Also a good commute to work from the country, although lane splitting has its close shaves!

Quite simple, if you like a good ride with attitude, that has a big bum, lots of plastic surgery and can go the distance and make you smile every time you ride her (over 300kms on a tank) then the M109R is for you.

snuffles
3rd March 2008, 14:06

250 - 1800, man youve got balls or no brains

limbimtimwim
3rd March 2008, 15:06
250 - 1800, man youve got balls or no brainsI've had a go on one, I reckon it was the easiest to ride bike I have ever ridden. They stop, go and corner with an ease that is quite amazing.

Also the poster has raced, which is worth quite a few CCs.

bmz2
3rd March 2008, 16:34
I've had a go on one, I reckon it was the easiest to ride bike I have ever ridden. They stop, go and corner with an ease that is quite amazing.

Also the poster has raced, which is worth quite a few CCs.

Went from no bike, straight to the beast and it was so easy to do. Had not ridden in 25 years. So glad i have got this beast.:woohoo:The bike at frist looks go big and imposing, but now it seems small . mybe i should not wash it so much, it could be shrinking:laugh:

KiwiNZ
21st May 2008, 20:22
Went from no bike, straight to the beast and it was so easy to do. Had not ridden in 25 years. So glad i have got this beast.:woohoo:The bike at frist looks go big and imposing, but now it seems small . mybe i should not wash it so much, it could be shrinking:laugh:

My first M/C licence expired 30 years, sat full licence while owing my M109R 12 month ago, most of my mates don't have full licences. Any authority sighting this message, i do not accept responsibility that what i am saying is true. Cher

bmz2
22nd May 2008, 01:44
My first M/C licence expired 30 years, sat full licence while owing my M109R 12 month ago, most of my mates don't have full licences. Any authority sighting this message, i do not accept responsibility that what i am saying is true. Cher

yep same, rode this beast for 12 month without a licence. but have it now. was not riding a 250cc for love or money

davesh
16th August 2008, 11:28
Hi Drogen been for a ride on one yet? A great ride and easy to ride heaps of grunt, corners ok till you bottom out,has the wow factor anywhere you go ,and really wont be a problem riding just getting used to slow speed cornering , i hopped on one after 25 years riding only occaisionally on borrowed bikes , rode a few, but fell in love with the v twin on taking it for a ride ,now done 16000 kms in nearly a year, 1800 power only a problem if you use go juice more than experience, take one for a ride you love it or hate it, i love it .:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Toaster
16th August 2008, 11:46
Hi Drogen been for a ride on one yet? A great ride and easy to ride heaps of grunt, corners ok till you bottom out,has the wow factor anywhere you go ,and really wont be a problem riding just getting used to slow speed cornering , i hopped on one after 25 years riding only occaisionally on borrowed bikes , rode a few, but fell in love with the v twin on taking it for a ride ,now done 16000 kms in nearly a year, 1800 power only a problem if you use go juice more than experience, take one for a ride you love it or hate it, i love it .:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Great to hear davesh. They are a great fun bike! Both bmz2 and myself have heavily modded the bikes for looks, performance and horsepower.... awesome beasts to ride and to view.

davesh
19th August 2008, 19:05
Hi toaster a bit off thread but would love to catch up sometime and view the beast :banana::2thumbsup cheers

Darth Fader
19th August 2008, 22:10
Howzit guy's...my 2 cents worth...I've had my Boullie for 18 months now, and I would not swop it for anything. Yes, they've got their handling problems, as all cruisers do, although not as bad as most of them, but I love the bike to bits. It's a bitch keeping it clean, but worth every minute spent polishing it. and yes, it does look HUGE and FAT, and yes it does weigh in excess of 300 kg, but the bike is so well balanced that it's easier to lift off it's side stand than you'll ever imagine. And grunt...too nice...there's not too much that will leave you standing at a traffic light. It's a lot of bike for the money !!!!

BMZ2...stunning conversion...love the swingarm. That kind of shit will just cost too much here in South Africa. I have been looking for the aftermarket side mounted licence plate holder...do you have a site where I could order it from??

DF

Muppet
20th August 2008, 16:48

Rode my father's M109r, very nice, the most powerful production cruiser on the market, brakes off a GSXR1000, low profile tyres, handles very well I thought, definitely better than a Harley, won't break down, turns heads that's for sure!!!:cool:

Big Dave
20th August 2008, 18:50
The accolade is still with Triumph I believe.

Triumph Rocket III
140hp

M109R
127hp

bmz2
20th August 2008, 19:31

Triumph Rocket III
140hp

M109R
127hp

hmm. maybe stock , big fella, but wait for it, the new street cams are going to to available very soon for the m109r and a few more mods and the bike will be at 150hp. Real McCoys m109r that graced the cover of a few magazines in the states is 200hp. these bikes are so easy to push the hp up with very little cost. the other thing is these bike can be pushed out to a 280 rear for the cost of a 10" rim or on a stock rim , with no other mods required, I am going to a 300 rear. not many bike of this size can be customized so easy. the other thing is the rocket is not a v-twin. The rocket is a nice smooth riding bike.But the m109r is a evil beast

'

ital916
1st May 2009, 12:46

Triumph Rocket III
140hp

M109R
127hp

I;m gonna dredge this as I just read a cruiser comaprison that said the rocket three corners worse that the m109r, confuzled.

Doesnt matter what cc you jump to, even a 600 can kill you quick if your stupid with it. Bloody bunch of scaremongering I fucken reckon, specially the shit mbb spouts must be just him from the amount of posts he has put up with near death experiences.

Big Dave
1st May 2009, 15:25
I;m gonna dredge this as I just read a cruiser comaprison that said the rocket three corners worse that the m109r, confuzled.

It doesn't corner worse.
The Suzuki has better lean angle.

They are both pretty easy to throw around - in the right hands.

But they are cruisers. A Fat Bob Harley handles and corners just as well.

The modern crop are all quite nicely mannered on the road. Metric or Imperial.