PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket suspension Components ?

2_SL0
27th November 2004, 13:46
First off this is just query, I always see all these differnt brands advertising in the bike magazines, the obvious one is Ohlins, But that also tends to have the rather large price tag. The question I have is this, I see brands such as Hagon, WP suspension, Hyperpro, etc etc. They appear cheaper than Ohlins, but what are they like?

WINJA
27th November 2004, 14:13
I THINK THE WP THATS AVAILABLE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS PROBABLY BETTER THAN THE OHLINS . THE GOOD THING ABOUT OHLINS IN NZ IS ROBERT TAYLOR HE GIVES GOOD BACK UP AND ADVICE. PENSKE IS ANOTHER WELL PRICED GOOD BRAND. TGEBE BRUIN ON THE NORTH SHORE IS ANOTHER GOOD FELLA, YOU CAN TAKE YOUR STOCK SHOCK AND FORKS TO HIM AND HE CAN VALVE IT TO SUIT YOU BETTER

Jackrat
28th November 2004, 08:49
I THINK THE WP THATS AVAILABLE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS PROBABLY BETTER THAN THE OHLINS . THE GOOD THING ABOUT OHLINS IN NZ IS ROBERT TAYLOR HE GIVES GOOD BACK UP AND ADVICE. PENSKE IS ANOTHER WELL PRICED GOOD BRAND. TGEBE BRUIN ON THE NORTH SHORE IS ANOTHER GOOD FELLA, YOU CAN TAKE YOUR STOCK SHOCK AND FORKS TO HIM AND HE CAN VALVE IT TO SUIT YOU BETTER

Hmmm,WP better than Ohlins??
You could start an argument with that one :beer:
Progressive, have a good Rep but after having them on an HD myself,I don't think they last.
Hagon, are made mainly for older twin shock bikes,the early ones were not very good but I'm lead to belive they have improved a lot.
Ikon are an under licence copy of Konis,made in OZ.
I intend to put Ikons on my own bike.
To me a good shock should be rebiuldable and last longer than what a lot of bikes have as standard.

TwoSeven
28th November 2004, 09:23
Ohlins is what you would call the biggest of the suspension makers, hence its popular. Now mostly owned by Yamaha, they earn their reputation from having a huge R&D department, have crews that turn up to all of the major races, and contracts with Ducati, Aprilia and Gas Gas.

They also have agents in most places around the world, so there is a lot of knowledge out their compared to the others.

Pensk are also very good, they have a pretty good dealer network, although not seen much around here.

Showa are owned by honda, and probably not as well known here, but are also pretty good, WP used to be good (and I like their ROMA units), but I think now have a focus on dirt bikes more than road bikes.

scroter
28th November 2004, 10:33
Hmmm,WP better than Ohlins??
You could start an argument with that one :beer:
Progressive, have a good Rep but after having them on an HD myself,I don't think they last.
Hagon, are made mainly for older twin shock bikes,the early ones were not very good but I'm lead to belive they have improved a lot.
Ikon are an under licence copy of Konis,made in OZ.
I intend to put Ikons on my own bike.
To me a good shock should be rebiuldable and last longer than what a lot of bikes have as standard.

progressive manafacture springs for cruisers and bikes with twin rear shocks. for sports bikes you want linear springs, especially for your front forks. some people say progressives will help to stop bottoming out but you can do that by adding more fork oil. corse all this dont matter if you have the wrong springs for your weight.

to answer your original question. ohlins and White power would be the best. you can contact robert taylor at hawera motorcycles for ohlins or ray clee motorsport for white power. depending on what you need prices vary sure you can buy a rear ohlins shock for a couple of grand but if you only need say front springs there under 300 for ohlins.

Bleck K6
28th November 2004, 14:17
I have a Hagon shock & I am very impressed especially compared to the stock rotary set up & it was only half the price($795) of an Ohlins,Sure it has nowhere near the adjustability of an Ohlins.But it works great on the TLR.

WINJA
29th November 2004, 13:52
I have a Hagon shock & I am very impressed especially compared to the stock rotary set up & it was only half the price($795) of an Ohlins,Sure it has nowhere near the adjustability of an Ohlins.But it works great on the TLR.
MOST PEOPLE DONT NEED THE ADJUSTABILITY OF AN OHLINS MINES GOT 30 COMP AND 50 REBOUND CLICKS. SOME HAVE HIGH AND LOW SPEED COMPRESSION FOR JOE AVERAGE SIMPLE IS BETTER