PDA

View Full Version : I'm from Canada. Should I move to New Zealand?

coteesh
29th February 2008, 17:02
Vancouver rains too much, Victoria rains less but is still kinda chilly in the winter and cloudy, and everywhere else in Canada there is too much snow and ice and gravel on the roads to ride about 6 months out of the year and I'm going insane here half of the year. I enjoy riding, hiking mountains, skiing, humidity, nice weather, beaches, and people that speak English. (or some form of it :) ). Most of these things I can do in Canada but only half the year.

So I should probably move to New Zealand right? I can't really think of any reasons not to.

I'd ship my motorcycle and a few other things in a crate by sea for $500 and arrive on a plane shortly before the crate arrived is the plan. I have my own engineering consulting company and I don't know how that's going to pan out in terms of taxes, working visa, etc. hmmmmmm. I wonder how difficult it might be to get a visa and maybe I should just do a temporary working visa or should I just go for citizenship off the bat ?

Edbear
29th February 2008, 17:11
Come on over! Best come for a visit first and case the joint, but be warned, once here you may never want to leave...

saul
29th February 2008, 17:24
No :Pokey:

nodrog
29th February 2008, 17:31
No :Pokey:

feel the love:love:

Livvy
29th February 2008, 17:53
Just do it. Go onnnn. You know you want to.

Blossom
29th February 2008, 17:57
Vancouver rains too much, Victoria rains less but is still kinda chilly in the winter and cloudy, and everywhere else in Canada there is too much snow and ice and gravel on the roads to ride about 6 months out of the year and I'm going insane here half of the year. I enjoy riding, hiking mountains, skiing, humidity, nice weather, beaches, and people that speak English. (or some form of it :) ). Most of these things I can do in Canada but only half the year.

So I should probably move to New Zealand right? I can't really think of any reasons not to.

I'd ship my motorcycle and a few other things in a crate by sea for $500 and arrive on a plane shortly before the crate arrived is the plan. I have my own engineering consulting company and I don't know how that's going to pan out in terms of taxes, working visa, etc. hmmmmmm. I wonder how difficult it might be to get a visa and maybe I should just do a temporary working visa or should I just go for citizenship off the bat ?

Ironicaly we are considering moving to Canada... weird. Come over, you will love it. We have loads of personality and the cost of insurance is waaaayyy cheaper. Housing is more expensive but wages pay more on average and yes I have done my homework. If ya do come over look us up we arnt far from Auckland internation Airport and any excuse for a ride?

Quartermile
29th February 2008, 18:06
Speak to a chap named Waylander, hes from Canada and lives here now

Waylander
29th February 2008, 18:11
Wouldn't be so easy to spot this for a dig at me if this thread wasn't in PD.

Do something original folks. Or are you all the same as the sheep you sleep with?

Ixion
29th February 2008, 18:14
Uh, Dude, this dude looks pretty genuine. Check out his profile, home page and all. Hell of a lot of work to go just to get a dig at you. Besides aren't you Texan, or Mexican, or summat souf n hot, not cold n norf?

Waylander
29th February 2008, 18:21
Uh, Dude, this dude looks pretty genuine. Check out his profile, home page and all. Hell of a lot of work to go just to get a dig at you. Besides aren't you Texan, or Mexican, or summat souf n hot, not cold n norf?
Texas.
Bastard WINJA and others have everyone thinking I'm from canada.

coteesh
29th February 2008, 18:21
I'm the real deal :)

Livvy
29th February 2008, 18:22
I'm the real deal :)
He's the real deal Waylander. :spanking:

Tsk for not believing. :innocent:

coteesh
29th February 2008, 18:24
I got a PM from Waylander. I dont think Americans like Canadians or something :) Even former Americans. tee hee

Mom
29th February 2008, 18:38
:oi-grr:I am not going to bother quoting you lot, but...to almost all of you I address the following!

How rude!

Just because someone asks in a different way about moving to Noo Zeelnd you should not be smart! A little bit of help and advice would probably be a better way of responding! Mom is not impressed at all! :o :oi-grr:

Livvy
29th February 2008, 18:40
:oi-grr:I am not going to bother quoting you lot, but...to almost all of you I address the following!

How rude!

Just because someone asks in a different way about moving to Noo Zeelnd you should not be smart! A little bit of help and advice would probably be a better way of responding! Mom is not impressed at all! :o :oi-grr:
I was serious, I genuinely believe he's from Canada, Mom. I was just giving Waylander shit.

:D

Rosie
29th February 2008, 18:40
Even though this is in PD, I'm going for a genuine answer :yes:

If you are considering making a move, you should come over on a holiday, and hire a bike, and see what you think. Have a look at some of the ride reports here and browse around to see what the riding is like in NZ.

NZ has a bit of a skills shortage at the moment, engineering shouldn't be a difficult field to get into. If you get a 2 year work visa (or whatever it is), it can be upgraded to permanent residency if you decide to stay (a few hoops to jump through and forms to fill out).

Waylander
29th February 2008, 18:42
Might get more help if you post your thread in this forum ( http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34 ) instead of the site rubbish bin.

Livvy
29th February 2008, 18:44
Might get more help if you post your thread in this forum ( http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34 ) instead of the site rubbish bin.
Think you might have linked wrong there... :confused:

EDIT: Change the link why don't you! So narking. That was a youtube link before guys. He failed, and only just managed to save.

Waylander
29th February 2008, 18:44
Fixed the link.

deanohit
29th February 2008, 18:46
I was just giving Waylander shit.

:D
Every one gives him shit!
:laugh:

Livvy
29th February 2008, 18:50
Every one gives him shit!
:laugh:
And we're taking over another board, did you notice?

deanohit
29th February 2008, 18:51
And we're taking over another board, did you notice?
Yea, back to MSN then. :whistle:

coteesh
29th February 2008, 18:51
That youtube link was pretty cool actually. I've tried doing burnouts with warm tires on my 1098. Cold tires or sketchy road conditions, no problem, but warm tires, my Diablo Corsa III's have too much grip and is too dangerous to do a burnout I think :)

Livvy
29th February 2008, 18:53
That youtube link was pretty cool actually. I've tried doing burnouts with warm tires on my 1098. Cold tires or sketchy road conditions, no problem, but warm tires, my Diablo Corsa III's have too much grip and is too dangerous to do a burnout I think :)
Proof of fail! Hoorah!

Link it back again Coteesh, let's show all Waylander's skills with making videos.

That and I love the background song. :D

coteesh
29th February 2008, 19:01
Proof of fail! Hoorah!

Link it back again Coteesh, let's show all Waylander's skills with making videos.

That and I love the background song. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qbLg4t_sqs

Livvy
29th February 2008, 19:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qbLg4t_sqs
Aww, he's such a dear.

I like him already. :D

Canuck
29th February 2008, 19:26
Move over to many Americans here that need to be sent packing.:bash:

toebug
29th February 2008, 19:34
Texas.
Bastard WINJA and others have everyone thinking I'm from canada.

So are you American or Canadian??? Your skinny so I'm guessing Canadian cos arent all Americans FAT?

Ixion
29th February 2008, 19:58
Mexicans is skinny, and Texans is basically Mexicans. Next door neighbours. And Texas used ot be Mexico , so I imagine they look all the same .

toebug
29th February 2008, 20:05
Fark there you go then, he must be texan! Doesnt have a tan though!

saul
29th February 2008, 20:07
Still going for no.

Small Ride leaving 8 am tomorrow for the tga forum whores lol:yes:

toebug
29th February 2008, 20:21
Still going for no.

Small Ride leaving 8 am tomorrow for the tga forum whores lol:yes:

Yeah I guess why the hell would you move to NZ? Move to america and earn the greenback. You cant earn any decent money here!

How small is a small ride, and who are you calling a whore?

McJim
29th February 2008, 20:46
Er....why is this thread in PD?

Seems like a genuine question from a genuine biker...seems odd since we're all here coz we couldn't get into Canada :rofl:

JimO
29th February 2008, 21:39

Seems like a genuine question from a genuine biker...seems odd since we're all here coz we couldn't get into Canada :rofl:

im here cos i was born here:2thumbsup

homer
29th February 2008, 21:58
I dont know why youd want to move here
enough said

coteesh
1st March 2008, 05:00
I dont know why youd want to move here
enough said

Why? That's the reason I posted, I wanna hear the bad things too...

In most places in Canada I can only ride half the year (unless I get studded tires and a dirt bike and ride on frozen lakes). Also, the only outdoor activities I enjoy are summer activities. (I don't like hiking in the mountains when it's -20 C). I'm thinking I should just compromise and move to Victoria BC in Canada but I was thinking, since I'm moving pretty far, maybe I should move someplace that is the BEST weather I can possibly find, it's not that much more difficult to move to a place over the big pond.

What's so bad about NZ?

toebug
1st March 2008, 07:26
Nothing is really that bad! All locals bad there country because we would all like to live elsewhere for a while.

The biggest whinges I here from foreigners is the lack of ability to earn good coin, but this normally comes from people used to earning the britsh pound or american dollar. People move here for the life style, bacause life is alot slower here than in bigger countries. But the waether is pretty good, 25 - 30 degrees in the summer depending on where you live and it might get to minus 5 in the deep south if you are lucky. You can ride a bike all year around. Only about 10% of the country gets snow in the winter, and 95% of new zealanders live within a hour of the coast, because it only takes 2 hours to drive from coast to coast in a lot of parts!

Scenic wise, I personally think its alot like Canada in many ways, bit I have only done Montreal to Niagra falls areas.

Come for a 2 week holiday and have a quick look first. Kiwis are generally a freindly bunch and we dont carry guns! (well unless your a gangsta anyway).

Just remember you dont come here to make money, it can be done obviously but we are more like an island compared to north america! Being Candian you will fit in since you are a commonwealth country and not arogant like americans but you will have to justify yourself everytime you speak! :blink:

Virago
1st March 2008, 08:01

Seems like a genuine question from a genuine biker...

It appears to have been started in here?

Edit: Have moved it.

McJim
1st March 2008, 09:12
Speaking seriously as someone who came from Scotland to New Zealand (albeit via London for 5 years) it's a lovely country however some of the legislation is a bit weird at first but you do get used to it.

Weather is great - temperate all the time - no real winter to speak of (I've been hill climbing in -27!) Heatwaves never go above 40 either.

People are great but the downside is that houses are very expensive when compared to income. the whinge is not the shortage of income but rather the shortage of affordable housing. If you're the kind of fella that can afford a 1098 however I suspect you'll be bringing enough capital for this not to be too serious an issue.

The politics are shocking however - all the policy changes and changes to legislation since I have been here have been inappropriate knee jerk reactions to minority opinions and the political parties are more concerned with shit stirring and defamation than I am used to or indeed am comfortable with. The government does need to become a bit more mature as does the opposition an stop their petty point scoring.

In brief come along...bring sandwiches if you must BUT NO FRESH FRUIT :rofl:

NZsarge
1st March 2008, 09:30
Nothing is really that bad! All locals bad there country because we would all like to live elsewhere for a while.

The biggest whinges I here from foreigners is the lack of ability to earn good coin, but this normally comes from people used to earning the britsh pound or american dollar. People move here for the life style, bacause life is alot slower here than in bigger countries. But the waether is pretty good, 25 - 30 degrees in the summer depending on where you live and it might get to minus 5 in the deep south if you are lucky. You can ride a bike all year around. Only about 10% of the country gets snow in the winter, and 95% of new zealanders live within a hour of the coast, because it only takes 2 hours to drive from coast to coast in a lot of parts!

Scenic wise, I personally think its alot like Canada in many ways, bit I have only done Montreal to Niagra falls areas.

Come for a 2 week holiday and have a quick look first. Kiwis are generally a freindly bunch and we dont carry guns! (well unless your a gangsta anyway).

Just remember you dont come here to make money, it can be done obviously but we are more like an island compared to north america! Being Candian you will fit in since you are a commonwealth country and not arogant like americans but you will have to justify yourself everytime you speak! :blink:

Speaking seriously as someone who came from Scotland to New Zealand (albeit via London for 5 years) it's a lovely country however some of the legislation is a bit weird at first but you do get used to it.

Weather is great - temperate all the time - no real winter to speak of (I've been hill climbing in -27!) Heatwaves never go above 40 either.

People are great but the downside is that houses are very expensive when compared to income. the whinge is not the shortage of income but rather the shortage of affordable housing. If you're the kind of fella that can afford a 1098 however I suspect you'll be bringing enough capital for this not to be too serious an issue.

The politics are shocking however - all the policy changes and changes to legislation since I have been here have been inappropriate knee jerk reactions to minority opinions and the political parties are more concerned with shit stirring and defamation than I am used to or indeed am comfortable with. The government does need to become a bit more mature as does the opposition an stop their petty point scoring.

In brief come along...bring sandwiches if you must BUT NO FRESH FRUIT :rofl:
Reasonably accurate i'd say but speaking as a Kiwi born and bred the money is pretty farkin' average! And yes the price of houses is getting to be stupid expensive..*sigh*

coteesh
1st March 2008, 16:02
So if I wanted a 600 square foot apartment in Chch someplace on the outskirts, how much would the rent cost per month do you figure?

Where I live near downtown Calgary for 600 sqr ft, I'm paying (after conversion) $1300 NZ dollars a month.

Great info so far everybody thanks so much!!

YellowDog
1st March 2008, 16:23
Hi Coteesh and welcome to KB.

Having done the big move to NZ and also met many from other parts of the world who have done the same, I would advise caution and for you to first come out and take a good hard look around.

Personally, I love NZ and think it is a great place however I have noticed that most of the Americans and Canadians I have met have had a great deal of trouble settling and some have aborted and returned to their homeland.

If you want to ride a motorbike during all 12 months of the year on excellent and hardly used roads, then NZ is the place for you.

Definitely bring your bike as they cost a lot more out here!

Good luck.

YellowDog
1st March 2008, 16:27
So if I wanted a 600 square foot apartment in Chch someplace on the outskirts, how much would the rent cost per month do you figure?

Where I live near downtown Calgary for 600 sqr ft, I'm paying (after conversion) $1300 NZ dollars a month.

Great info so far everybody thanks so much!!
Try this link:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?search=1&mcat=0350-5748-4233-&sidebar=1&132=FLAT&selected135=60&selected136=&134=3&135=60&136=&153=&29=&122=0&122=0&59=0&59=0&x=49&y=7

Housing is pretty cheap in NZ (compared with South UK) however the 'Not from the real world' government monetary policy means that a home loan will cost around 10.5%. And they are talking about increasing it further to suit the NZ micro economy. Recession due next year quelle suprise

Renting is the way to go.

Good luck.

NZsarge
1st March 2008, 18:10
Housing is pretty cheap in NZ (compared with South UK) .

Funny coz I heard on the radio a few weeks back NZ now has the most unaffordable housing in the western world when the average income and cost of living is taken into account, for those of us below the average income it's an absolute shocker! I don't know if the above statement is absolutely true or not but I would'nt be that surprised if it were.

homer
1st March 2008, 18:26

In most places in Canada I can only ride half the year (unless I get studded tires and a dirt bike and ride on frozen lakes). Also, the only outdoor activities I enjoy are summer activities. (I don't like hiking in the mountains when it's -20 C). I'm thinking I should just compromise and move to Victoria BC in Canada but I was thinking, since I'm moving pretty far, maybe I should move someplace that is the BEST weather I can possibly find, it's not that much more difficult to move to a place over the big pond.

What's so bad about NZ?

well ...
business services are mostly crap takes a while to find whos good to see for what ever it is
business are all going over seas cause they dont want the new zealander to get ahead "we cant afford to pay you more money"
and then your still paying the top buck for the item .

Try the ACC system if you have an accident " your screwed"
and before someone posts about private insurance ,yeah thats fine but its not a should have to do in this country .and most of us cant afford it

Now were hammered with kiwi saver so we now pay twice for what you get

We have to pay income tax which is fine ,but then get additional tax on everything ,sometimes up to 3 times tax and then you dont get an end of year claim on anything unless you payed someone for a job .

If you have to work to jobs to actually live ,you then pay tax and then secondary tax on one of the jobs

ummm where do you want me to stop :blank:

homer
1st March 2008, 18:27
Funny coz I heard on the radio a few weeks back NZ now has the most unaffordable housing in the western world when the average income and cost of living is taken into account, for those of us below the average income it's an absolute shocker! I don't know if the above statement is absolutely true or not but I would'nt be that surprised if it were.

Oh yeah thats right and true

how many earn the average wage?

YellowDog
1st March 2008, 19:16
Allow me to explain both of our statements:

NZers find house prices unaffordable because the mortgage rate is 10.5%. THAT is why they are expensive. It’s not the prices, it’s the rate the country charges to borrow money.

Yes, I do also agree that the average wage is far too low (on a world scale) and hence the 'BrainDrain'. If the mortgage rate was closer to 5.5%, like most of the developed world, do you believe NZers be in this same situation?

The answer is that houses would not be unaffordable to so many. This should not be a difficult problem to fix however NZ has failed to grasp the concept of the world marketplace, which has contribited to this problem.

I didn't move here for the money. I earned that in Europe. I live here 'cos it is a great place and can offer a quality of life and a better quality of people than no many other places in the world have.

House prices seem cheap to me because I have sold a small European house and bought a large kiwi one for the same money.

I would say that in my opinion, there is no political party in NZ that seems to have a clue about how to correct country's economic issues.

TLDV8
1st March 2008, 19:27
I would be very curious to what folk regard as cheap housing anywhere in the West.
Australia's mortgage rates are not far behind NZ with two more rises (+) this year predicted.
Anyone who thinks houses are expensive in Auckland should come to Darwin.:lol:

Like most things,it is what you make of it when it comes to migration.
Anyone not sure would be better off doing a visit first to get an idea.

homer
1st March 2008, 19:33
I would be very curious to what folk regard as cheap housing anywhere in the West.
Australia's mortgage rates are not far behind NZ with two more rises (+) this year predicted.
Anyone who thinks houses are expensive in Auckland should come to Darwin.:lol:

Like most things,it is what you make of it when it comes to migration.

Your very correct with what your sayig ,and theres the same argument there also .
Wages to low and you cant afford a place .Etc etc

but depends where you want to buy and what price you want

but as for aussie you wages per hour are better ,you pay compulsorie super ,which is usually payed on top of the hourly rate and most items for every day buying are cheaper on average
fuels cheaper ,LPG is dirt cheap and you get more money in the pocket and less hours to work in a lot of jobs

some jobs if your working say a 10 hour day
moslty your getting about 250 a week more than here
maybe even more

As an example i get about $120 a day for a wage here for 9.5 hours
in aussie i can start a job and work about 7 hours a day for the same money

YellowDog
1st March 2008, 19:47

What's so bad about NZ?
coteesh - If you are coming over with cash, it is a great place to be. If you are going into business, this country works on the basis of low volume, high margin (unlike the rest of the developed world). This makes it easier for the the small guy to make a living (unless you need a bank loan - then you are screwed).

NZ is definitely better than Canada for the winter weather. But you may have problems acclimatising to the lack of home comforts you will be used to. Try http://www.move2nz.co.nz. you will be able to exchange messages with Canadians who have already done the research and ones who are also already living in NZ.

You will notice that the welcoming and friendliness from your part of the world is just as good in NZ.

NZsarge
1st March 2008, 19:52
most unaffordable housing in the western world when the average income and cost of living is taken into account, for those of us below the average income it's an absolute shocker!
Unaffordable/income = Housing too expensive for the income, im not concerned with the price of houses in the UK or Canada or anywhere else as I don't live there. Bottom line Housing is expensive........for the average income in NEW ZEALAND.

Reasonably accurate i'd say but speaking as a Kiwi born and bred the money is pretty farkin' average! And yes the price of houses is getting to be stupid expensive..*sigh*
I've watched the price of houses in my town soar in price compared with just a few years ago.

Allow me to explain both of our statements:

NZers find house prices unaffordable because the mortgage rate is 10.5%. THAT is why they are expensive. It’s not the prices, it’s the rate the country charges to borrow money.

Yes, I do also agree that the average wage is far too low (on a world scale) and hence the 'BrainDrain'. If the mortgage rate was closer to 5.5%, like most of the developed world, do you believe NZers be in this same situation?

The answer is that houses would not be unaffordable to so many. This should not be a difficult problem to fix however NZ has failed to grasp the concept of the world marketplace, which has contribited to this problem.

I didn't move here for the money. I earned that in Europe. I live here 'cos it is a great place and can offer a quality of life and a better quality of people than no many other places in the world have.

House prices seem cheap to me because I have sold a small European house and bought a large kiwi one for the same money.

I agree in the world stage housing might not be that expensive but on the current level of income earned by your average Kiwi high interest rates or not houses are not cheap.
Listen, I get where your coming from so to speak but again, it does'nt help people into a decent house.

YellowDog
1st March 2008, 20:06
All I am saying is a $300k house on a 5.5% mortgage is affordable to a couple on an average wage. At 10.5% it is not.

Q.E.D.

Winston001
1st March 2008, 20:14
No country is perfect and some of the above criticisms are true - you could equally find things wrong with Canada.

House prices right now are double their historical level (as a ratio to the average family income) which means a housing crash is due......so rent for a while.

Interest rates are high but if they dropped to say 6%, what would happen is people would spend more - and house prices would jump again. This is exactly what happened to farmland in NZ in 1982 - the Rural Bank (government) lent money 2% below the market rate and land prices soared - then crashed. Much misery...

Anyway thats beside the point. There is a natural affinity between Canadians and New Zealanders. I don't know why but I've experienced it. You are good people and I'm confident you'd enjoy it here. It is also a motorcyclists paradise.

Winston001
1st March 2008, 20:17
Rent - I'd guess you'd pay NZ$300/week for a flat/apartment in Christchurch but you can easily pay more. Depends upon location. Engineering is a great skill to bring.

scracha
2nd March 2008, 16:39

What's so bad about NZ?

I'm a scotchyman, moved here just over 3 years ago. Weird thing is that I'm considering Canada in a few years (ok, I'd considered it before trying here). If you've got the skills then my advice is to try and get permanent residency before moving here...saves a lot of hassle later on. That said, it pays to VISIT and actually live here for at least 6 months to get a feel for the place. I know a lot of foreigners who come for a few months, think the grass is greener, move over, buy a house, end up getting home sick etc and lose a lot of money in the process before returning home.

There's good and bad about New Zealand. For me, the Kiwi's themselves and the good social life make up for most of the bad $hit.

Bad things :-
------------
Money - there's not enough of it.
Money - Kiwi dollar is far too strong ATM. Best keep your money in CAD or whatever it is in for the time being.
Riding - the cops are nazi's, the government isn't enlightened AT ALL about the benefits of motorcycling.
Riding - you pay more than a c@r...how #@4cked up is that?
Riding - insurance isn't compulsory...so be prepared for some uninsured dipshit knocking you off your bike.
Riding - the standard of driving is truly appalling. They make the French seem tame
Telly - truly $hite
Rugby - Nuff said?
Riding - the roads are full of gravel.
Riding - it's far too hot (Ok, I'm Scottish)
Geography - You are literally in the middle of nowhere. Air-fares out of NZ are extortionate. A return flight from Auckland to San Francisco is about 40% more expensive than a return flight the other way. If you want to go further than Australia or Fiji then you pay through the nose.
Jandals - Did I mention Crocks?
Government - Far too many politicians and they let a madman called Winston Peter's represent us abroad.
Beer - Piss weak
Spirits - Piss small measures and VERY expensive.
Pubs - not very good opening hours.
Housing - expensive and a lot of the landlords are true scum of the earth.
The estate agents are a lot of lazy bastards who charge far too much.
Kiwi's - Fiercely nationalistic. When a Kiwi asks "what do you think of New Zealand?", they're really saying "Isn't New Zealand is the best country on planet earth?"
Kiwi's - Too laid back. Service levels are piss poor, most things are done half heartedly, the country's infrastructure is run on a shoestring and you sometimes wonder how the hell anything gets built in this country. Probably why the working hours are so high and yet production isn't too great.

Good things :-
--------------
Kiwi's - generally friendly, and very laid back :eek:
BBQ's - :-)
Beer - Cheap
Riding - gogo juice is cheap
Riding - roads are generally quiet
Riding - you'll meet the nicest people here...and not just on a Honda
Riding - trackdays are very cheap
Sports - lots to do, if you like playing then it's all good.
Population - Low population density. Plus they breed like @#$ckin rabbits (see below) so if you can get residency then you'll have plenty of yoofs paying for your pension and medical care in a few years time.
Kiwi girls - slutty. Statistically the sluttiest in the western world :rolleyes::jerry:
Scenery - Truly awesome. Very varied in such a small land-mass.
Weather - Very mild...sometimes not too hot either.
Money - Once housing is dealt with, you don't actually need a lot to live on out here. Electricity is cheap (in between the frequent power cuts).
Money - Doesn't seem to be too much of the "keep up with the neighbours" mentality. Ignore $hite fantasies about there being "no class system" in New Zealand though.

The Pastor
2nd March 2008, 16:46
nah we don't want any flappy heads here thanks.

NZsarge
2nd March 2008, 17:30
Funny how you foreigner type view NZ :bleh::lol:

toebug
2nd March 2008, 22:40
Funny how you foreigner type view NZ :bleh::lol:

I agree!

Now were have all those slutty girls gone?:buggerd:

fredie
3rd March 2008, 02:08
whats wrong with moving too aussie:shutup::zzzz::yawn:

Drunken Monkey
3rd March 2008, 07:44
All I am saying is a $300k house on a 5.5% mortgage is affordable to a couple on an average wage. At 10.5% it is not.

Q.E.D.

Whilst there is truth to this statement it's not the entire story. Take the average house price and divide it by the median wage. This value was the highest of the 6 countries surveyed (i.e. placing us "least affordable"):

http://www.hbtoday.co.nz/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3761504&thesection=localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Drunken Monkey
3rd March 2008, 07:46
Kiwi girls - slutty. Statistically the sluttiest in the western world :rolleyes::jerry:

Only useful if you like your girls shaped like pears. For the more pleasing 'hourglass' or 'bottle of coke' look, you're going to have to go elsewhere.

tri boy
3rd March 2008, 08:26
Hi coteesh,
Boy, you have had a fair old mix of reply"s for sure.
Only you will be able to gauge whether NZ is right for you, so if I was you, I'd pop over for a visit as Rosie has suggested.:sunny:
Posting on KB has been a smart move, as I'm sure alot of KB'ers will meet up with you, show you round, and offer a roof over your when possible.
Take most of the reply's with a grain of salt, as most of the new Kiwi's still havn't come to grips with the country yet.
Forget about politic's/housing affordability/class structure etc.
Every country has various small issues(the housing system isn't that bad, plus, who says you have to own what every one else defines as the Kiwi home).
Bottom line is thousands of people wish to immigrate here for the important reasons. Safe Stable Structure, The right and ability to enjoy life/raise a family and generally live a happy life.
The place is great for those that put a bit of effort into it.
I moved away for twelve years, lived/travelled in several foreign lands, and hand on heart, can say New Zealand is where I'm staying. Enjoy your visit, and I hope you like it enough to want to hang around.:niceone:

PS Kiwi's will warm to almost anyone who doesn't whinge about the place soon as they get past customs/immigration. (I f**king hate those type).:spanking::Pokey:

NZsarge
3rd March 2008, 08:53
Hey Coteesh, Tri boy is pretty bang on really, the only way to truely know wether it's worth a punt on moving here is to come see it for yourself
By the way sorry for the "housing rant", you sound like your a man of some means and it should'nt be an issue, as far as rental of apartments you could get in touch with local real estate agents as some of them have rental divisions.
Don't forget the North Island too mate. :rockon:

idb
3rd March 2008, 09:31
Mexicans is skinny, and Texans is basically Mexicans. Next door neighbours. And Texas used ot be Mexico , so I imagine they look all the same .

Texican?

scracha
3rd March 2008, 12:05
Only useful if you like your girls shaped like pears. For the more pleasing 'hourglass' or 'bottle of coke' look, you're going to have to go elsewhere.

So you're saying they're not just sluts, they're fat slags?

The Canadian should get his arse over here and try it out. He might even like it.

scumdog
3rd March 2008, 12:24
No country is perfect and some of the above criticisms are true - you could equally find things wrong with Canada.

Anyway thats beside the point. There is a natural affinity between Canadians and New Zealanders. I don't know why but I've experienced it. You are good people and I'm confident you'd enjoy it here. It is also a motorcyclists paradise.

What he said, I've been to Canada a couple of times, Vancouver was very 'New Zealand-ish', the East side of the country less so.

If you don't like NZ there's a good chance you won't like anywhere....depending on what you want from life.

scumdog
3rd March 2008, 12:25
Texican?

Mexan?

Swoop
3rd March 2008, 13:09
Just remember that NZ likes unskilled, lazy, dole-bludging, refugees. Since you have valued skills and intelligence, you will stand sod all chance of the gubbinment allowing you in.
But worth a try though, eh!

Quick test: What are your views on religion, politics and rugby?

idb
3rd March 2008, 13:11
Just remember that NZ likes unskilled, lazy, dole-bludging, refugees. Since you have valued skills and intelligence, you will stand sod all chance of the gubbinment allowing you in.
But worth a try though, eh!

Is there any other country in the world I wonder, in which it's citizens are so negative about where they live?
Mind you, I suspect that they are largely folk that have never spent any time away.

toebug
3rd March 2008, 18:37
Is there any other country in the world I wonder, in which it's citizens are so negative about where they live?
Mind you, I suspect that they are largely folk that have never spent any time away.

Aint that the truth!

chrisso
4th March 2008, 14:36
Hi Cooteesh, Im Chrisso--just joined this Forum as an expat Kiwi living in Oztralia. Should you move to NZ...hmmm a deep & profound idea-After much thought( and beer) I say Yes. I think the further you move away from America the better haha(Just joking) You dont like rain, so dont move to the Sth Islands West Coast or Fiordland although there is stunning scenery.NZ roads were obviously built especially for Ducatis so youd be right at home.I say go for it--if for some reason you dont like it Australia has now become a Province of NZ and youd be welcome here.

coteesh
4th March 2008, 19:49

I usually refuse to answer the first two things because the resulting arguments are often futile and not laid back, like kiwis should be (laid back). If you really want me to answer though, I will in a very laid back manner :) In Canada they don't allow us to know what rugby is!

Thanks so much everybody, the information you're giving me is so awesome. I'm the type of person where doing things spontanious, or taking risks, is very easy and actually exciting for me, so actually, if I do decide to check out NZ, instead of just visiting, I might just ship my things there anyways "just in case" I want to stay forever. I don't have a lot of stuff.

I'm still not completely sure yet. I'm earning a lot of cash right now, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just continue my business in Canada for maybe another 2 years to gain a bit more cash... but money doesn't really matter to me, so I might move to NZ this year still.

Question: in a post above it was mentioned that there is lots of gravel on the roads? Is this true???? In Calgary where I live now, there is usually piles of gravel on the roads well into and often late into the riding season, making riding dangerous almost all rear round.

Swoop
4th March 2008, 19:59
In Canada they don't allow us to know what rugby is!.
Good! It is a crap game that easily entertains the masses here. Avoid it!:yes:

Question: in a post above it was mentioned that there is lots of gravel on the roads? Is this true???? In Calgary where I live now, there is usually piles of gravel on the roads well into and often late into the riding season, making riding dangerous almost all rear round.
Yes, there are still a few genuine gravel roads here. Adventure types seek them out for their fun, but the roads are sealed in general. We do not put salt on them, but southern or alpine roads do get grit on them when icy.
There are lots of different playgrounds here. Explore and enjoy.

McJim
4th March 2008, 20:00
There are a lot of gravel roads yes but equally there are loads of nice sealed backroads with the kinds of corners Ducatis were made for ;) there is some funny rumour that the roads overseas are better but I've been all over Europe and the roads here are fine - they just have some fucked up road rules that are inappropriate for motor vehicles so they blame the roads.

coteesh
4th March 2008, 20:05
There are a lot of gravel roads yes but equally there are loads of nice sealed backroads with the kinds of corners Ducatis were made for ;) there is some funny rumour that the roads overseas are better but I've been all over Europe and the roads here are fine - they just have some fucked up road rules that are inappropriate for motor vehicles so they blame the roads.

I've ridden 15000 km around West Europe and I was very impressed with road quality, way better than Canada's roads. Roads in the USA are better than Canada but not up to European standards (from what I've seen so far, I haven't seen too much of the USA yet). So if your roads in NZ are comparable to Europe, you have probably the best roads in the world, without a doubt.

McJim
4th March 2008, 20:11
Speaking sensibly as someone who has been down little country back roads in Scotland and Europe I suspect a lot of kiwis are comparing European motorways and main roads to NZ country roads and saying "Wow those European roads are fantastic".

Coz I'm sure someone will tell me (after me only living in Scotland for 28 years) that I'm talking shit. This is, after all, KB :rofl:

idb
4th March 2008, 21:56
Speaking sensibly as someone who has been down little country back roads in Scotland and Europe I suspect a lot of kiwis are comparing European motorways and main roads to NZ country roads and saying "Wow those European roads are fantastic".

Coz I'm sure someone will tell me (after me only living in Scotland for 28 years) that I'm talking shit. This is, after all, KB :rofl:

Well from what I saw last year, our 'A' roads would be equivalent to European 'B' or 'C' roads but that doesn't mean they're shit, only smaller with less traffic.

I understand that up North they have something called a M.O.T.O.R.W.A.Y. but that could be an urban myth.

scracha
4th March 2008, 22:37
You're talking $hit ya ducati riding Scottish twat :innocent: Even B roads in y'urrup aren't covered in bleedin gravel and stones. Roads made for Ducati's my arse....only if you like your Ducati with stone-chips and enjoy riding it in 4th gear all the time.

I'm still not completely sure yet. I'm earning a lot of cash right now, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just continue my business in Canada for maybe another 2 years to gain a bit more cash... but money doesn't really matter to me, so I might move to NZ this year still.
Wanna swap businesses? Mine isn't very successful (yet) but you did say money doesn't matter to ya :sick:

Seriously though. Get a plan, set a date and stick to it. I hummed and hawed about emigrating for far too many years. Was stuck in my "comfort zone". Whatever the end outcome you'll regret it if you don't give New Zealand a try.

McJim
5th March 2008, 12:16
You're talking $hit ya ducati riding Scottish twat :innocent: Even B roads in y'urrup aren't covered in bleedin gravel and stones. Roads made for Ducati's my arse....only if you like your Ducati with stone-chips and enjoy riding it in 4th gear all the time.
Well I meant to say except for Waikato then! :rofl: ya Ducati riding Scottish twat!:innocent:

scracha
5th March 2008, 13:42
Well I meant to say except for Waikato then! :rofl: ya Ducati riding Scottish twat!:innocent:
You're cruisin fur a severe malkyin ya daft weegie.

mstriumph
5th March 2008, 14:05
im here cos i was born here:2thumbsup

i'm not 'here' at the moment but i've been ritually-dipped and can always come right BACK unless you lot start behaving yourselves!! :nono:

MaxCannon
7th March 2008, 20:39
The quality of the roads vary a lot
I found the roads around the top of the south island to be much better than those around Auckland.
Even heading out to some pretty isolated spots down there the roads were really good.

Credit it to much less traffic since Auckland has 1/3 of the whole population and they all leave the city every weekend, most in their jap import 4x4s

The standard of driving is poor, more so in the cities than out in the country.
When I lived in South Auckland (the poor bit) it was noticably worse then when I lived on the North Shore (the wealthy bit)
Perhaps people in $500 rust buckets don't care if they crash.

The govt and roading / local authorities seem to be on a mission to make biking as hard as possible. No incentives to get people out of cars (of which we have far too many) other than upping petrol tax to fund more empty buses that don't travel the right routes for most people and run at the wrong times.

On the bright side it's really no worse than anywhere else I've been to.
If you can afford a decent house in a nice area then it's an alright place to live.

The weather is often a big gripe but on the whole Auckland is fairly mild. It never snows although the humidity means 4c feels pretty damn cold.
Likewise in summer 25c gets quite oppressive and sticky.
The extreemes don't usually last too long.

It's a great place to get sunburnt. I've spent a few summers in Arizona, Florida and around the Med and the sun here is way harsher due to the lack of ozone and (I suspect) less air pollution.

The government are a bunch of clowns, the current lot are doing their best to turn us into a communist wannabe state.

saul
7th March 2008, 20:42
Is this thread still alive?

I thought I said no:yes::innocent:

jimbo
8th March 2008, 13:45

Mate they have seen Units avatar,They may not respect your opinions now:cool:Personally i love the color:2thumbsup

Strider
18th March 2008, 13:48
First come over and take a good hard look around Then "On Ya Bike" and enjoy the scenery of our good green country:scooter:.

Strider
18th March 2008, 13:49

No means yes come on over in Canada:cold:

coteesh
18th March 2008, 14:02
First come over and take a good hard look around Then "On Ya Bike" and enjoy the scenery of our good green country:scooter:.

That's the unadventurous way of doing it tho. I'd rather just risk it and move there :P

avgas
18th March 2008, 14:10
No.
If you were from South Africa, NZ seems much more appealing.

steved
18th March 2008, 14:13
[QUOTE=idb;1455735]Is there any other country in the world I wonder, in which it's citizens are so negative about where they live?[QUOTE]

You don't know how lucky you are Trev. Always time for a Fred Dagg reference.

coteesh
18th March 2008, 14:14
No.
If you were from South Africa, NZ seems much more appealing.

you don't like NZ ?? whyyyyyy????

Swoop
18th March 2008, 15:56
I understand that up North they have something called a M.O.T.O.R.W.A.Y. but that could be an urban myth.
Correct. It varies between a five or a three lane parking lot. Quite efficient really.

avgas
18th March 2008, 21:38
you don't like NZ ?? whyyyyyy????
Imagine that George Bush was a tranny, and the only way you could get her out is voting for hitler.
While the Pharaohs and the "gangsters" lax it up. The wip is cracked acrross the working class.
Average Joe is just that, minority is considered "endangered".
Easy street is written for those that cant read.

Country side is the best in the world - but the aftertaste of the society here leaves a tang is all. Apparently is not in the good of the country to talk of such things.
Big bloody elephant in the room as far as im concerned.
There are good sides here as well though - most people give a toss about each other, EFTPOS, relatively clean, you can still buy your own bit of country side, education is ok, good place to raise kids, only 2 hours drive from most coasts....

TOTO
21st March 2008, 04:44
move to NZ. you will love it.

Bikernereid
21st March 2008, 04:58
As a Brit who has spent the last God knows how many years attempting to move to BC I would say it depends what you do for a living etc etc. I love BC but have found that I can work in NZ in my field whereas I can't in Canada.

I have spent so much time on East and West Coast of Canada and think that you will love NZ - but I have only been there at the start of the summer so can't comment on the winter etc. The scenery is very much like the Okenagen and other areas in Canada so for ou it should be like home from home but slightly warmer.

For me Canada or NZ was always going to be a huge improvement it jjust happens that I am intending to move to NZ, probably Christchurch by the looks of things.

I would say visit and then make up your mind. Good luck

sapper4956
23rd March 2008, 17:59
Ok have read this thread and have my take on the whole situation. I am a POME and have been here for 2 years. Before coming over here with my young family i did some research i made many midnight phone calls and i had a job offer. I also had a job offer in Red Deer Canada and A mining town in western OZ that i can't spell.

We chose NZ because The climate is the closest to the UK but better. There is a better lifestyle out here for me and my children. Canada is either 40 or -40 not my bag. OZ either the locals want to kill you for sending their long past relatives there as prisoners or the insects want to eat you. Also engineering in 40degs underground is not all that it cracks up to be.

I work in Engineering here in NZ as a sub contractor. You will have work no problem and if you have petro industry experience you can jump on with a Canadian company here in NZ called Methanex.

If you do dump all your stuff in a container and float it over here and don't have a Visa or Permit by the time it gets here MAF will whack a big Tax on everything in the container as an import duty then they will charge you $250 a day for it to sit on the port side while you get the visa to get it cleared.

The advice of do a reccy is sound, that way you can get an idea of which island you want to live on so you only pay port charges once not twice when you decide oh maybe the north island is nicer. You can get work on either island.

Your "I'm a chancer" approach to moving continents is a stereo typical gun ho approach usually associated with Americans. :jerry: You haven't mentioned if you have a family to bring with you other than your Ducati. As someone who has made the trip i would advise if you have the means to do it come over first get to know where you want to be. I came to The Bay of Plenty because of the paper industry which is all but gone now. But it does get some of the best and consistent weather in NZ. It is also one of the most expensive to live in after Auckland and Hamilton.

The people here are generally great people they are laid back and they do have time to chat to you. I have met several Canadians over here as i work with methanex regularly at their site in the Naki. But i will say they all hanker for back home. They miss the Telly i think. They don't miss the Tax.

Roads and their drivers.....well when i first got here i bought a new 07 fireblade, before i had run it in a car shunted me from behind at a junction. Once i picked myself up of the road and realized what had happened a face from the offending car asked "R u alright Bro" to which i said "Yeah i think so what happened ?". He said "sweet" and drove off faster than a cat with it's knackers in a trap. After contacting insurance i find that i have a $2000 excess because i am driving on a UK driving license. Repairs Cost $2400.

Sold blade 6months later and bought MotoX bike. Much safer. Although i have now rejoined the roadies with a new Pan.

There are some excellent roads out here but there are still a lot of metal roads which you need to travel if you want to get most places away from the main roads. so your Duke will get a ding or 2 from loose surface. When they resurface a road they throw 6' of metal on to it then leave it for the traffic to bed it in then they Tar seal it. Works real well but a lot of the cars don't like to slow down on it because they won't fall over under hard braking.

So there you go there are some real points. Not negative because on the whole it is a good place to live and be in business. and if you have read this far then you can read more so research where you want to go and then do it again.

:whocares:Just seen how big this reply is i really do go on don't I.

woodybee
6th April 2008, 23:14
Yep do the recky first.

A container is the best way to go, as don;t sell everything as stuff over here is mega bucks in comparison. You wont get much for your gear then will spend a fortune rebuying.

I came over here, with a container 3.5 years ago, and just get familiar with inport export department and maff and you'll be fine.

As for homesickness, I always miss home, but you pretty much get on with things. I am still finding my feet with what to do for a living......so doint mind numbing jobs and acquiring skills on the way.

If you have your own business, then the worlds your oyster here, its the land of idea's, me I still wonder what my ground breaking idea will be to have some frigging money over here.

If its nagging at your soul my friend then listen to the voice and act upon it, you could always go home if it doesn't work out.

Life's an Adventure to be grabbed with enthusiastic hands, and to savour the opportunity that Life is presenting you with.

But come for the rekky first mate, and see what you think. South Island has roads from heaven, talking to the Northies, the roads are a different matter up there.

Plus us in the South have shit load more rallies down here.

And if you life picture postcard settings, then the South Island is the place to be, but do both islands, see what business opportunities present themselves, throw all the ideas up in the air, shut your eyes, and peep at what your heart tells you, then live life as thats what is there for.

Here endeth the lesson.

Woodybee.....:yes:

coteesh
7th April 2008, 04:06
Ok have read this thread and have my take on the whole situation. ...

Excellent information, thank you so much. I'm not like an American tho!!!! I'm the ultimate Canadian 'cause I'm so nice and apologetic. The reason I'd rather just move there without even taking a look first, is because I don't have a family and I don't own very much stuff, so it would cost me less than $2000 to ship all my stuff (including myself) there, so at the very worst it could turn out to be a 1 or 2 year vacation which is a nice thing. Your tips on VISA and stuff are great.

In Canada I get depressed 6 months out of the year due to poor weather. I can't help it, I guess it's partly that I'm not too good with the ladies, but I just feel like I have to get out of this place so I am afraid of commitment here.

I have a client in Canada at the moment, the job is actually a dream come true. I do mad-scientist stuff (developing a new gas engine, turbine, pump) and I'm getting my name on several patents, so I might come to New Zealand either late this year or late next year, the work is just too interesting for me and I only work 5 hour days, so I'm thinking I should keep doing it.

Thanks everybody, and woodybee and Bikern1mpho, great info.

Robert Timco
7th April 2008, 05:42
Wife and I have just moved back to BC this past June after 15 years in New Zealand. We really enjoyed it for the most part. The reason we went was to ride 24 / 7 which we did, and rode most every road in the country and we split our time between North and South islands with 4 years in Nelson and the balance in Castor Bay and Browns Bay on the North Shore. The reasons we loved it were the riding and the people we met riding, just breath taking, but at what cost ?? Rain..... Nelson not included in this rational as it doesn't rain in Nelson save when you have made big plans between Xmas and New Years.
The last several years we started to get depressed by the rain and grey skies and it rains as much as Vancouver, I know because thats where I am from. Rain day after day, the fact that it's dead of winter and it's 10 celcius doesn't change the fact it's raining. Very few houses ( rentals ) or not have central heating - furnace, so you pay for heat, a lot. Battle of the mould every year in the winter,,, ceilings walls and anything that was in a closet or stored away for the season, is covered with mould or smells of it.That said, I still loved it and a lot of times this past winter Cheryl ( wife ) would say what did we do ??? as the snow comes down. It was / is expensive for most everything by comparison, gas, bikes, tyres, parts, gear of any kind rent.. we paid 1400 nz per month for a rather average older 2 bedroom house in Castor Bay which was really quite cheap by comparison to other areas, but and the big but how much are you making per month ? Deals were there no doubt, my insurance for my SV1000S full coverage fire theft everything was 800 nz Cheryls SV650S was like 600 or so, but how much are you making ?? Bought her as a demo from Haldanes with 1100 kms and I paid 12,000 so 3000 more than a new one here, so how much are you making ?
You really have to do it though, go down for a month and see it taste it and feel what it's about, go now or soon and see what winters like. We loved it though and will always have fantastic memories of it, as 15 years is a long time. Took 12 or 13 years to start making decent money though but thats going to be the case were ever you go, Im back at the bottom again, but our rent now for a 2 bedroom log house on acreage is 800 per month, but we paid 200 a month to keep it warm wiyh furnace oil, Life is about learning through shared experience go and share and learn. You might miss sports on Television with Sky you can get some late at night, or you may fall in love with Rugby or cricket, get off your ass and try it on you either love it or you won't but don't find a reason not to try it out....
Canada Rob

coteesh
7th April 2008, 05:51
Wife and I have just moved back to BC this past June after 15 years in New Zealand. We really enjoyed it for the most part. The reason we went was to ride 24 / 7 which we did, and rode most every road in the country and we split our time between North and South islands with 4 years in Nelson and the balance in Castor Bay and Browns Bay on the North Shore. The reasons we loved it were the riding and the people we met riding, just breath taking, but at what cost ?? Rain..... Nelson not included in this rational as it doesn't rain in Nelson save when you have made big plans between Xmas and New Years.
The last several years we started to get depressed by the rain and grey skies and it rains as much as Vancouver, I know because thats where I am from. Rain day after day, the fact that it's dead of winter and it's 10 celcius doesn't change the fact it's raining. Very few houses ( rentals ) or not have central heating - furnace, so you pay for heat, a lot. Battle of the mould every year in the winter,,, ceilings walls and anything that was in a closet or stored away for the season, is covered with mould or smells of it.That said, I still loved it and a lot of times this past winter Cheryl ( wife ) would say what did we do ??? as the snow comes down. It was / is expensive for most everything by comparison, gas, bikes, tyres, parts, gear of any kind rent.. we paid 1400 nz per month for a rather average older 2 bedroom house in Castor Bay which was really quite cheap by comparison to other areas, but and the big but how much are you making per month ? Deals were there no doubt, my insurance for my SV1000S full coverage fire theft everything was 800 nz Cheryls SV650S was like 600 or so, but how much are you making ?? Bought her as a demo from Haldanes with 1100 kms and I paid 12,000 so 3000 more than a new one here, so how much are you making ?
You really have to do it though, go down for a month and see it taste it and feel what it's about, go now or soon and see what winters like. We loved it though and will always have fantastic memories of it, as 15 years is a long time. Took 12 or 13 years to start making decent money though but thats going to be the case were ever you go, Im back at the bottom again, but our rent now for a 2 bedroom log house on acreage is 800 per month, but we paid 200 a month to keep it warm wiyh furnace oil, Life is about learning through shared experience go and share and learn. You might miss sports on Television with Sky you can get some late at night, or you may fall in love with Rugby or cricket, get off your ass and try it on you either love it or you won't but don't find a reason not to try it out....
Canada Rob

Yeah TV doesn't really matter to me, I don't watch it hardly at all. I hear the East coast of the South island doesn't rain all that much so I'm thinking Chch might be my best bet to avoid the non stop rain? Since I am a contractor in engineering with pretty damn good skills so far and making good coin already, I'm hoping to be able to do at least half as good over there which is still good.

Grub
7th April 2008, 06:33
I hear the East coast of the South island doesn't rain all that much so I'm thinking Chch might be my best bet to avoid the non stop rain?

Hehehe well Rob was exaggerating just a little about the rain. Auckland has rain. Most afternoons at 3ish you get that sub-tropical dark sky. Sometimes it rains, often not. It's easy to google and get the rainfall comparison figures or just look at year-to-date on http://www.metservice.co.nz. It is an Auckland thing though and not typical of the rest of the country. On the positive side, things grow in Auckland. I grew in Auckland so it must be good.

Regions it doesn't rain are the far north(Keri keri), Bay of Plenty (Tauranga, Whakatane), Hawkes Bay (Napier, Hastings), Wairararapa (Masterton), Kapiti/Horowhenua (Paraparaumu, Levin), Marlborough (Picton, Blenheim) Nelson, Canterbury (Christchurch).

The West Coast of the South Island doesn't have sun :)

scracha
7th April 2008, 08:02
Regions it doesn't rain are the far north(Keri keri),

You forgot the Waikato. We've only had a couple of small showers since Boxing day :mad: The fields look like the Gobi desert.

Anyway...how difficult is it to get a Canadian working visa?

coteesh
7th April 2008, 13:23
You forgot the Waikato. We've only had a couple of small showers since Boxing day :mad: The fields look like the Gobi desert.

Anyway...how difficult is it to get a Canadian working visa?

do you mean a visa to work in Canada? For me to work in NZ I just need a job offer explained on this site http://www.nzembassy.com/info.cfm?CFID=6686&CFTOKEN=52576491&l=98&p=61084&s=go&c=38

Grub
7th April 2008, 15:30
You forgot the Waikato.

Well I hadn't forgotten it but I wasn't sure how much of the Auckland-type rain you guys got. Thinking of the lush Waikato pastures, I figured it must get its fair share. It's gutting to hear that it is sooo dry this year then. Most other places have had more than that since the new year so you guys must be doing it really hard.

Robert Timco
8th April 2008, 05:16
Visa's, well I found the thing frustrating but it wasn't hard, you just stand in line at 250 Queen Street downtown Auckland with all the interesting types seeking safe haven. Bring all your documents passport and banking info, investments from Canada and wait your turn. Helpfull but frustrated folks will sort you out, working visa is about a grand ? 600 - 800 for a year. so no big deal. Save yourself a hassle though, go for a vacation, and do the basics look around and open a bank account at Westpac or National then get on your bike so to speak. Visitors visa is good for 3 months and you can renew it a few times, just don't overstay your visa though, as that can really hurt your chances for residency. Housing is much cheaper on average on the South Island, but work ops are less as well. The move should be , well has to be about a better quality of life, don't forget that. If the reason you want to move is to do the things you enjoy doing then, find the time to do them.
Most people have these great plans about what they are going to do, over time settle into what reality is served up, and as if by magic you are working 8 1/2 hour days, and add an hour to, and an hour home and your out of day. Few beverages Friday after work, your buying stuff ??? off a cart, it's late and the next thing you know it's late afternoon Saturday and you feel like crap.Habits, your habits, rule the day, so if you are having trouble doing the stuff you enjoy doing in Calgary, removing the snow by moving to NZ won't fix or change it. I loved HWY 16 and 17 so much that even after 12 years, I would get up at 4:30 am on a weekday and go ride up to Wellsford or Worworth before work at EDS an IT company on the shore when I had a later start, (ah the joys of shower facilities at work) it was perfect for me.. live and work on the North Shore.... no HARBOUR BRIDGE. Cheryl my wife worked at Kodak NZ downtown Auckland standard 8:30 - 4:30 monday > friday she was never happy about the comute at best it was an hour from Castor Bay worst well it was 2 or more each way..this is 20 KMS in distance. drove her to the point where she gave up a job she really loved took less money to work on the shore. Quality of life I would say South Island ,, if pushed, I really loved Nelson and the weather was un real sunny every day, but no work expensive nove and mostly ex pat Americans who have built compounds on the hills and who brought money and don't work, and retired Christchurch money. I used to have the Wakatu Hotel centre of downtown 1998 thru 2001 and in that time saw 1000's of jobs lost in the area, none created and house prices go through the roof.
Been said several times so far in this thread > Go for it.. leave your stuff in Calgary. Clear the decks, and go - as a Canadian passport holder you have to have a return ticket to go to NZ anyway, take 20,000 grand buy a used bike and see if it fits, if it does,come back get your stuff say good bye and settle, if it doesn't, go back and dust off your Ducati in Calgary and remember the wonderfull holiday you had down in the south pacific.
Drivers in Auckland - worst anywhere
Roads - breath taking, some gravel but usually well signed.

NZsarge
8th April 2008, 07:43
I guess it's partly that I'm not too good with the ladies

Sweet! You can join my "I'm not to good with the ladies" club then. :laugh::niceone:

Robert Timco
9th April 2008, 10:56
re the weather in Auckland - these are the facts

Climate
Auckland is one of the sunniest spots in the country, with annual sunshine hours of 2060. It also has a high rainfall, which ensures the lushness of its rainforests, with a mean annual rainfall of 1240mm.

Summer is from December to February, Autumn or Fall is from March to May, Winter is from June to August and Spring is from September to November.

Mean Daily Maximum Temperature (Celsius/Fahrenheit):

January – 23.3/73.9
February – 23.7/74.7
March – 22.4/72.3
April – 20/68
May – 17.4/63.3
June – 15.2/59.4
July – 14.5/58.1
August – 15/59
September – 16.2/61.2
October – 17.8/64
November – 19.6/67.3
December – 21.6/70.9

Source: National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research, www.niwascience.co.nz.

Vancouver weather .. see below

Weather is a big topic in Vancouver and if people associate one thing with the city, it is usually rain. It does rain in Vancouver, but you'll see from the information below that it doesn't really rain all that much in Vancouver. And Vancouver makes up for the rain by greeting summer visitors with more than 16 hours of glorious daylight every day.

Even in winter, when some outsiders think the sun never rises above the horizon and Vancouverites wear animal skins and live in igloos, Vancouver has more than 8 hours of daylight and mild days and nights.

Hours of Daylight by Month
Month Hours of Daylight
January 1 8:17
February 1 9:25
March 1 11:00
April 1 12:53
May 1 14:36
June 1 15:57
July 1 16:10
August 1 15:08
September 1 13:28
October 1 11:40
November 1 9:52
December 1 8:29

Vancouver's Average Monthly High Temperatures:
Month Average High Temps: C/F
January 5/41
February 7/44
March 10/50
April 14/58
May 18/65
June 21/69
July 23/74
August 23/74
September 18/65
October 14/58
November 9/48
December 5/41

Average Annual Rainfall: 1117.2 mm / 43.98 inches
Average Monthly Rainfall:
Month Rainfall: mm/Inches
January 131.6/ 5.18
February 115.6/4.55
March 105.4/ 4.15
April 74.9/ 2.95
May 61.7/ 2.43
June 45.7/1.8
July 36.1/1.42
August 38.1/1.5
September 64.4/2.54
October 115.3/4.54
November 167.2/6.58
December 161.2/6.35

Vital Information

Canadian Money
Climate Page
Crossing The Border
Disability Access
Drive/Park in Vancouver
Vancouver Fast Facts
Medical Help
Moving To Vancouver
Transportation Overview

So to sum up, It rains a lot in Vancouver, and more in Auckland
Go to Nelson..

Sanx
11th April 2008, 04:07
My viewpoint is that of a Brit who's lived in Auckland for seven years, but has been in Brisbane for the past six weeks with a view to making the move permanent.

I came over in 2001; took a punt, and simply came over with a couple of big suitcases. I had been over here before, but as the last visit was sixteen years previously (when I was 10) it was essentially a blind move. I had a couple of advantages though; as my mother's a kiwi I had an automatic right to citizenship and I have a fair number of relatives in NZ with whom I could stay until I got on my feet. All in all, NZ has treated me pretty well. I've met some fantastic friends, met a great girl who I married a few months back and financially I've done OK.

Like everywhere else, the country has its positives and negatives. I would strongly recommend a pre-emmigration visit if only to check out the various cities to work out in which one you think you could live.

For me, the positives are:

The people. Generally pretty friendly and relatively laid back. People seem to be less up themselves than in some places: London and New York spring to mind from the places I've been in.
The scenery. Being a judge on the 'best scenic view in NZ' competition must be one of the hardest jobs in the world. There is huge variety, and a lot of it remains unspoilt. And with the country being relatively small, it's not all that far to go to see something different.
Track days are incredibly cheap. And addictive. You have been warned.
For everyday transactions, the banking system is miles ahead of that in most other places.
The weather's generally good. Yes, it rains a lot in Auckland but the climate's generally mild and pleasant. Given that NZ is a small land mass surrounded by lots of ocean, you don't really get extremes.
Rugby's a great game and the nearest thing to a state religion. Get used to it. With the exception of pay-per-view wrestling, there's very little north american sport shown, which is a very good thing.

On the flip side, the list of negatives (again, for me) is slightly longer:

NZ has a low-wage economy coupled with proportionally high housing costs. The taxation level is criminal and the money collected is managed incredibly badly. Investment in infrastructure simply doesn't happen.
Geographic isolation and the size of the market mean that most imported goods are expensive compared to elsewhere in the world, often thanks to the importersand distributors of such goods who feel that a good ass-reaming makes customers feel loved.
A seemingly large proportion of the population have absolutely no wish to ever get a job, and are happy bludging whatever money they can off the state. The current administration is happy to continually hand out money in return for votes. If you earn more than the pathetically low average wage, don't ever expect to get anything (other than a shafting) from the state.
You'll probably be fed up with Maori shite inside the first week. For some reason, Maori and the NZ government seem to think the culture is fascinating (it isn't) and therefore should be rammed down people's throats at every opportunity. The continual whinging over treaty abuses and claims is enough to drive most people up the wall.
If you like people who speak English, don't come to Auckland. 12.5% of the population is of recent Asian extraction and a seemingly large proportion of those have little desire to learn the language or assimilate into the population as a whole. I believe the problem is far less outside of Auckland though.
Political correctness and the nanny state. This current government's thinking is that everyone should be protected from themselves and that nothing is anyone's fault. The hoodie-wearing wannabe gangstaz who graffiti your fence aren't little shits, they're misunderstood darlings who are simply expressing in their own unique way their anger and frustration over not having been given enough teddy bears as a child. Nothing negative can be said about any one group, especially Maori. Oh - unless you're white and male, and then it's all your fault - whatever it is.
The roads, at least in the northern half of the north island, are complete utter unmitigated shite. They're bumpy, badly-laid, in dire need of repair and usually quite poorly engineered. The regional authorities' idea of road repair is to lay a thin coating of bitumen down and then tip a truck load of gravel on top of it. They then (when they can be bothered) give it the most cursory sweep and leave. As a result, there is often a layer of loose chippings all over the lines motorbikes like to take. I'm led to believe things may be different in the South Island though.
The standard of driving is diabolical. Most native kiwis aren't that bad (they'd still be dragged screaming out of their vehicles and given a good kicking in London, though), but our asian friends habitually drive with their eyes shut. No-one knows how to drive at a reasonable pace. Expect to get frustrated very quickly.
Traffic policing is over-zealous and counter-productive. Everything (low employment, climate change, single mothers, the plight of the north-west albatross, etc.) is blamed on speeding with precisely zero hard data to back it up. You'll be preached at regularly by brainless morons (politicians) who think otherwise; and unfortunately, it's those pricks who make the rules.
Public transport in Auckland is a joke, despite the vast wads of cash thrown at it. Don't even bother.

All this is irrelevant though. If you're white, well-educated and earn decent money, you won't have a hope of getting a working visa. Try stating on the immigration forms that you're from some piss-ant island in the south pacific, can't speak English, have no intentions of ever getting a job and intend to bludge off the state for as long as humanly possible. You'll have permanent residency by return post.

As I said earlier, I'm now in Brisbane and everything I've seen is telling me to make the move permanent. The coastline and scenery rivals NZ (the Sunshine Coast and hinterlands are among the most spectacular places I've ever seen), the roads are well made, the public transport system's excellent, there's investment in infrastructure, the cost of living is lower (fractionally), gas is cheaper, the weather's better, motorbikes are encouraged, the standard of driving is an order of magnitude better, the wildlife's more interesting (despite everything wanting to kill you), commodities are generally cheaper, the tax rate's lower and there's much more work in my field with better pay.

coteesh
11th April 2008, 04:19
As I said earlier, I'm now in Brisbane and everything I've seen is telling me to make the move permanent. The coastline and scenery rivals NZ (the Sunshine Coast and hinterlands are among the most spectacular places I've ever seen), the roads are well made, the public transport system's excellent, there's investment in infrastructure, the cost of living is lower (fractionally), gas is cheaper, the weather's better, motorbikes are encouraged, the standard of driving is an order of magnitude better, the wildlife's more interesting (despite everything wanting to kill you), commodities are generally cheaper, the tax rate's lower and there's much more work in my field with better pay.

Thanks!! I'm starting to wonder if I should live in Brisbane too. Sounds very good there! If I go hiking in the mountains near Brisbane, are there lots of animals that would try to kill me for real ?

Bikernereid
11th April 2008, 04:35
Brisbane is awesome but as someone who was looking at emigrating there years ago I prefer NZ. Each place has its ups and downs but on the whole I found that the Kiwis are far friendlier than the Ozzies. I have had so much help and support re moving, job hunting, developing job contacts etc that I have a very special place in my heart for Kiwis.

When I was over there for Xmas and NY I couldn't believe how many people offered for me to stay with them, borrow morotbikes, offered to take me to events and Kevin (nadroj) even drove from NP to Auckland to collect me so I could stay with him for a few days and ride around the NP region. I am still in regular contact with so many of the people I met through KB and that means a lot to me and says a lot about the type of people you find in NZ.

Maybe I am a little bit biased now that I have a Westie as a significant other but even taking him out of the equation I still would move to NZ tomorrow if I didn't have to finish my qualification here so that I can work there.

In my humble opinion it is not necessarily the economic status or climate but what the people are like that makes a place feel like home. You can have all the sun and money in the world but if you are lonely and isolated the best place in the world will suck!!

Thanks!! I'm starting to wonder if I should live in Brisbane too. Sounds very good there! If I go hiking in the mountains near Brisbane, are there lots of animals that would try to kill me for real ?

Sanx
11th April 2008, 20:25
... but on the whole I found that the Kiwis are far friendlier than the Ozzies. I have had so much help and support re moving, job hunting, developing job contacts etc that I have a very special place in my heart for Kiwis.

When I was over there for Xmas and NY I couldn't believe how many people offered for me to stay with them, borrow morotbikes, offered to take me to events and Kevin (nadroj) even drove from NP to Auckland to collect me so I could stay with him for a few days and ride around the NP region. I am still in regular contact with so many of the people I met through KB and that means a lot to me and says a lot about the type of people you find in NZ.

Meh - but it was only guys who offered to show you the country on a bike, and they were all just after your body anyhow... :rolleyes:

Sanx
11th April 2008, 20:29

I dont know about proper hiking, but I've been walking in a few national parks in the Sunshine Coast hinterlands and up at the Noosa headlands and the scariest things I've seen were a few fuck-off big spiders, which as it happens are pretty much harmless to humans (golden orb weavers and coastal golden orb weavers, if you're interested). And I've been looking for interesting wildlife, though I'm not about go start trail-blazing through the undergrowth or digging around in any woodpiles.

But it is very cool just walking down the river boardwalk in Brisbane and seeing water dragons basking in the sun, or rainbow lorrikeets and cockatoos flying around.

nivram
11th April 2008, 20:44
Computer says no.

jonbuoy
12th April 2008, 08:45
Brisbane is awesome but as someone who was looking at emigrating there years ago I prefer NZ. Each place has its ups and downs but on the whole I found that the Kiwis are far friendlier than the Ozzies. I have had so much help and support re moving, job hunting, developing job contacts etc that I have a very special place in my heart for Kiwis.

Maybe I am a little bit biased now that I have a Westie as a significant other but even taking him out of the equation I still would move to NZ tomorrow if I didn't have to finish my qualification here so that I can work there.

In my humble opinion it is not necessarily the economic status or climate but what the people are like that makes a place feel like home. You can have all the sun and money in the world but if you are lonely and isolated the best place in the world will suck!!

Kiwis are definitely very friendly - they like to be liked - especially by outsiders. They hate the thought of someone coming to NZ and not enjoying it.

The Ozzies may not come across as being so friendly to start with but thats the same in any big city anywhere in the world. I found the ozzies have the same piss taking sense of humor as the Brits, they don't take themselves so seriously and can laugh at themselves Kath and Kim is a good example.

smitty
16th April 2008, 15:14

If you do go to Oz instead of NZ, you will find lots of Kiwis over there!