PDA

View Full Version : Help tomorrow arvo?

ital916
29th February 2008, 19:09
Hey dudes, just got back from oz and tried to start betty up to no avail *lol whats new*. I reckon the battery is flat? Or the carbs need a bleed after sitting for two weeks wait i turned the fuel off lol thats not it then.So anyone able to bring a battery charger over by any chance tomorrow arvo? Sorry for the really short notice ask dudes. I tried crash starting her down a long hill but she wasn't starting.

Thanks heaps

Drider

HungusMaximist
29th February 2008, 20:10
First and foremost, if you don't have a properly charged battery don't even bother doing anything else.

Charge the battery and go from there.

And BUY yourself a charger, it's one of the most basic and essential pieces of kit any car/motorcycle owner can have.

You can get a cheap ass one for $30.00 bucks from repco/supercheap but they're usually their rate of charge is a big high but will do the job. But keep an eye out if it's MANUAL as you can overcharge battery.

Even better, get an proper battery tender/trickle charge/maintainer, I can source you a CTEK one for around $80.00 bucks, retails at about $110 in the shops.

Oh yea, I've got a manual charger you can borrow, but you gotta pick it up!

Macstar
29th February 2008, 20:19
Welcome back. I've thinking about your starting problems. You need one of these:

http://www.cyclecat.com/MS1-1.htm

Then you can build a trailer to tow it around behind your bike for re-strats after fueling etc.

FROSTY
29th February 2008, 20:29
Hey dudes, just got back from oz and tried to start betty up to no avail *lol whats new*. I reckon the battery is flat? Or the carbs need a bleed after sitting for two weeks wait i turned the fuel off lol thats not it then.So anyone able to bring a battery charger over by any chance tomorrow arvo? Sorry for the really short notice ask dudes. I tried crash starting her down a long hill but she wasn't starting.

Thanks heaps

Drider
call me dude--ive got a jetpac thatll start her in a jiffy.
BTW--leave it attached for 5 minutes any yer battery will slightly "normalise" so it will come back up

ital916
29th February 2008, 20:33
Haha nice one isaac, i'll think bout it. Cool i'll head to repco tomorrow to pick one up if i can. Need her running by monday to get to uni. It'll be a pain in the ass if she dicides not to dtart at uni though lol

Squiggles
29th February 2008, 20:40
and thus the tales begin.... again :lol:

now last time i started her easy... s'all in the kick :D

Ragingrob
29th February 2008, 20:40
Bugger man, lol hope ya don't get stuck at Uni each day! That time giving you a push for the bump start on Symonds was way not safe haha!!!

Ixion
29th February 2008, 20:42
Battery has to be pretty flat to stop a two stroke kick starting. Especially one with magneto ignition.

Macstar
29th February 2008, 20:58
and thus the tales begin.... again :lol:

now last time i started her easy... s'all in the kick :D

Maybe he should try this then:

http://www.thigh-toning.com/

Squiggles
29th February 2008, 21:28
Maybe he should try this then:

http://www.thigh-toning.com/

That'd do the trick.

klyong82
29th February 2008, 22:39
I got a manual repco battery charger if you need one...

ital916
1st March 2008, 08:29
hey kim that sounds good, . I tried kicking her she wouldn't start, I even went down a very long hill repeateduly trying to crash start her but to no avail. She was struggling to fire. Bloody two weeks of sitting there grrr lol I'll be home till three if anyones keen to try get her going, once the rain stops i'll pop out and try start her. Stephen ask rob, you just happen to kick her when she's happy lol

Squiggles
1st March 2008, 09:14
You still always choking her?

Ragingrob
1st March 2008, 09:24
Yeah I think he enjoys "asphixiation" :whistle:

Macstar
1st March 2008, 09:30
It's a good day for working on bikes - pity mine needs nothing doing to it! Let me know what the plan is as i'm just mucking around today.

ital916
1st March 2008, 11:03
Na I try at first without choke, after ten min of trying I try without choke. After another ten min of trying I stop trying lol Anyone is welcome to come around and try start her. I haven't giben it a go today yet.

Ragingrob
1st March 2008, 11:23
I'd cruise round if I was in town but I at home way out so yeah... Maybe give her a blanket to calm her down?

ital916
1st March 2008, 11:39
lol :p have a laugh all ye with electric starts. Guess this is what owning a two stroke i all about huh

aewilliam
1st March 2008, 11:51
Sup!
My baby RS likes to punish me with about 5minutes of kickstarting if i leave her alone for about a week (i should be punishing myself really...how dare i...)

so your RG minutes is jsut a sadistic, or masochistic b!tch if thats how she likes it...

From what ive been told, it doesnt matter if your battery is flat, you should still be able to hill-start it? (someone DO correct me if i am wrong here...)

I did hillstarted mine when my battery died (it seemed to anyways...) on me...

WHY did it die?

Cos i spent a TWENTY minutes straight of trying to kickstart it over 3 days, only two days after getting my bike. Only to realise i had the kill switch on.

So try your killl switch Dri. Maybe...just maybe...

ital916
1st March 2008, 11:54
Well i'll have to find out later, gotta jet to a family thing now crap. Will keep updated if she starts. Guess if anyone is keen to help tomorrow will have to be it lol Was hoping to have an arvo to work on her today but fam and the fucking torrential rain has intervened lol

ital916
1st March 2008, 13:38
Success, after thirty min of kicking she fired, sounded like she was clogged or something cos she kinda did a big black fart and then she was kicking. She'll need a good thrash to get back into commuting shape. Oh and she started with half choke on *haha take that squiggles*, no choke and just kicking just wasn'y working lol here's hoping when i go out tomorrow morning to start her she does start.

Ragingrob
1st March 2008, 13:45
There's a coro loop ride next Sat, that'd be a good work over to help get into the commute for uni!

motorbyclist
1st March 2008, 16:48
correct me if i'm wrong, but for a bike without a fuel pump or anything of the like, you don't actually need a battery to start it...

so flat battery shouldn't be a problem...

either way, i reckon it's just a case of sitting too long

Squiggles
1st March 2008, 17:41
Rev 'er guts out for an extended period of time... motorway in 1st/2nd anyone?

aewilliam
1st March 2008, 20:09
So... the RG was being the sadistic b1tch then.

Yup the pig plack puff of smoke is a sign of anger and fury at your neglect.
BUT it also is the welcome smell of a 2T-er waiting to be caned by her massstahhh... the masochist steps outve the shadows.

And the choke? i have to use the choke if im starting, even if its only been an overnight sleep. (is that a not-so-good thing?)

But turning the throttle that 1/8th way doesnt do any good for me...thought the manual says to... :bash:

You shouldve dropped her off at mine while you were away - the neighbours wouldve found out what a 3cyl 400cc 2stroke MIGHT sound like if i had ur RG going with my RS. And maybe even got Kyle to ride it with me.:scooter::scooter:

klyong82
1st March 2008, 21:12
It's a good day for working on bikes - pity mine needs nothing doing to it! Let me know what the plan is as i'm just mucking around today.

Mine is always in nice and clean condition:scooter:.

Squiggles
1st March 2008, 21:49

With tomorrow looking equally promising you should come help me and mb battle with the tl's new shock

Hanne
1st March 2008, 21:55
correct me if i'm wrong, but for a bike without a fuel pump or anything of the like, you don't actually need a battery to start it...

so flat battery shouldn't be a problem...

yeah, the DR (that went) never had a battery, Stephen just kicked it over and that was also enough to get the headlight going too