PDA

View Full Version : Open visor/open face?

skidMark
2nd March 2008, 04:01
Okay a couple of questions here.

1. Why ride with your visor open, why not close it, i hear so many times of people riding open road speeds then getting hit by rocks....ciggie butts, bees etc etc. Why not just keep your visor open only a crack, from the moment i pull out my visor is closed, open just enough so i can breather/ not fog up at lights.

2. Open face helmets....100kph open road guys on harleys etc with open face and no bandana across thier mouth.....how the heck do you breathe, i have had my visor open when i first started riding and at 100kph it's like you mouth becomes a blimin ram air duct, i couldnt blimin breathe. Is it an aquired skill? no not breathing...breathing at blimin 100-140kph.

Serious questions.

I dont understand why you would have your visor open.

And yeah, i was just curious in regards to breathing at high speed with an open face. (lets not get into how unsafe open faces are in crashes, thats enough for a whole nother sub forum.)

scumdog
2nd March 2008, 04:08
I think at this point in your licence and riding career you don't really need to know.

skidMark
2nd March 2008, 04:20
I think at this point in your licence and riding career you don't really need to know.

Why not? it's not like i'm gunna ride open visor i'm just curious as too how some can do it.

i spose i should sleep soon, moving flat today.:eek5:

ArcherWC
2nd March 2008, 05:49
..... it's like you mouth becomes a blimin ram air duct, i couldnt blimin breathe.

Maybe try SHUTING your mouth.........but then that concept would be completly alian to you

Grahameeboy
2nd March 2008, 05:57
Maybe try SHUTING your mouth.........but then that concept would be completly alian to you

Geeze...Marky cannot win eh?...still his spelling is better...:rolleyes:

skidMark
2nd March 2008, 06:04

I don't have a big old persons jew nose so can't get enough air in through 2 tiny nostrils.

I get too much adrenalin going when riding quick heartrate goes up etc...

Thus i need more air than my my nose can supply.

Mom
2nd March 2008, 07:04
Many moons ago I used to pillion on a Harley, all black leather, balck helemt bandana covered face etc. The only time I found it hard to breathe was riding in torrential rain. The bandana used to get so soaked that you were breathing water in!

Personally for me, the full face/visor down is the preferred option now, although I do open the visior as soon as speeds get down to 70kph. I love the wind on my face!

skidMark
2nd March 2008, 07:07
Many moons ago I used to pillion on a Harley, all black leather, balck helemt bandana covered face etc. The only time I found it hard to breathe was riding in torrential rain. The bandana used to get so soaked that you were breathing water in!

Personally for me, the full face/visor down is the preferred option now, although I do open the visior as soon as speeds get down to 70kph. I love the wind on my face!

Just the wind? :devil2:

Motu
2nd March 2008, 07:33
That's why people who wear open face helmets die - they can't breath,pass out and crash.Try it sometime....

Toaster
2nd March 2008, 07:37
i need more air than my my nose can supply.

I am sure we all agree with you there skidMark.

Oakie
2nd March 2008, 08:10
I ride with my visor up for as long as I can because I like the fresh air. It helps wake me up in the morning on the way to work and just feels good after a long day at work. The visor comes down at about 75kph I guess. The only thing I'm really worried about hitting me in the face is bees etc. but I ride with good fitting sunglasses on so I know if that does happen at least I won't get it in the eye.

R6_kid
2nd March 2008, 08:38
I'll usually open my visor for a bit of a change when in traffic or coming into towns out on the open road, it's quite refreshing and somehow seems less claustraphobic(sp?).

My only question for people that dont ride with full helmets is what do you expect to protect your face should it be abruptly introduced to the road surface? I pity the fool.

James Deuce
2nd March 2008, 08:41

Well, actually your nose should be able to supply your atmospheric requirements and if it can't then you have a bio-mechanical issue.

skidMark
2nd March 2008, 08:53
Well, actually your nose should be able to supply your atmospheric requirements and if it can't then you have a bio-mechanical issue.

You have obviously never seen me ride aye?

I get a workout throwing her around, heart racing etc.

I dunno how much is plastic surgery to get a jew nose?

Kickaha
2nd March 2008, 08:58

I can do it a lot cheaper, 30 seconds with an air drill and reamer should fix it

Usarka
2nd March 2008, 09:05
You have obviously never seen me ride aye?

I get a workout throwing her around, heart racing etc.

Olympic athletes, all blacks, lance armstrong etc all breath in through their nose.....

You must be going super hard out.

Headbanger
2nd March 2008, 09:07
Olympic athletes, all blacks, lance armstrong etc all breath in through their nose.....

You must be going super hard out.

They had to add an extra 5 degrees of hardness to the scale, Just so they could rank how fuckin hard the Skid Mark is.

For reference, Thats 9 degrees harder then Attila the Hun and 6 more then Stalin.

Sofa
2nd March 2008, 09:14
I find it hard to ride with the visor up even when I'm going under 70km. But maybe its because this still feels fast to me :baby: I think its also because I wear contacts and then they go all dry and gross if the wind is getting into them....:pinch:

Jorja
2nd March 2008, 09:19
I have not ridden much in the evenings but came back from the Thursday night ride with bugs splattered all over my visor.
Had cleaned it before I went and it was so clear I had to check it was down a couple of times. Hadn't realise haw much crap it stopped from hitting my face.

Also discovered that when a big bug goes splat, don't try to wipe it off :2thumbsup

Zuki Bandit
2nd March 2008, 09:29
I don't have a big old persons jew nose so can't get enough air in through 2 tiny nostrils.

Geez you crack me up Skid!!!:lol::lol::lol:

xwhatsit
2nd March 2008, 10:23
I ride with my visor up everywhere, at least until I hit 80kph zones. As I'm slowing back down to less than 80kph, I flip the visor back open.

Riding with your visor down is shit, you can't see quite as well (well you can see better over 80kph, the wind distorts your vision at that point, but under 80kph it's a hindrance, even if the visor is über clean). You can't feel the wind and the weather on your face. It's not so damned stuffy and claustrophobic if you have the visor open. Having it open just adds so much to the sensory experience of riding a bike. I suppose I like that wind-in-yer-face thing for the same reason I like nekkid bikes, not fairings.

I think for my next helmet I'd like to get an open face. Sounds like it'd solve most of those problems.

Big Dave
2nd March 2008, 10:47
You just have be smarter - and harder - that the air.

About 170 in an open face you can start making music in an open mouth like exhaling into an empty bottle

deanohit
2nd March 2008, 10:55

You could try slowing down to 100km, maybe then you'd keep your licence longer as well.

YellowDog
2nd March 2008, 11:03
Maybe he needs more air than most because he's now on a Moped and the engine needs a decoak.

Peddling those things can be quite knackering. Especially when wearing a full-faced helmet.

Try an open faced one to see how you get on..........

Nagash
2nd March 2008, 11:14
I think for my next helmet I'd like to get an open face. Sounds like it'd solve most of those problems.

Safety Man to the rescue! Ep. 1

"What's that citizen? You're planning to wear an open-face helmet? But what happens when you land on your face? Or a bumble bee hits you?! Think of the ACC levies! It'll be madness.

WHA-PANG! *Open-face helmet cracks into pieces*

No need to thank me citizen, i'm just doing my duty."

No FX
2nd March 2008, 12:19

What about asians and other races?:msn-wink:

Ixion
2nd March 2008, 12:39
I usually ride visor up untill 100kph. Maybe a bit faster if it's raining. No matter how clean the visor is, or how much you wipe it, it does reduce visibility in the rain (yes I know about all the stuff you cna rub on it).

As to the breathing thing, cant say I've ever noticed it. Y' just , like, breath. Maybe something about the riding position on sprotsbikes?

Back in the day, we only had open face lids, or, often as not, none. Never noticed any issues up to the ton, which was about top whack back then.

McDuck
2nd March 2008, 12:58
I thnk it could have somthing to do with the way the wind channels the air. For examply i can stand the visor up 3 CM at 80kph but i am fine up to 120 with it fully up.

Sharry
2nd March 2008, 18:16
I have my visor up until I'm at about 70kph or over then I put it down. I havnt noticed the difference in being able to breath, that seems to happen on it's own. To me its part of being on the bike to feel the wind and not be closed in or feel claustrophobic.
And I feel I have better vision without a visor no matter how clean it is.
While on the subject of clean visor....what do you clean it with these days?

I would never wear an open faced helmet after sliding down the road face down in 1980 with a full face helmet on.

Jiminy
2nd March 2008, 19:19
Same as most here, I keep my visor as much as I can because I love to feel the wind and for a better visibility. I wear wide and close-fitting HD sun glasses, they are fan-tas-tic for riding, but apparently don't fit in all helmets.

However, from about 90kph, the visor starts catching the wind too much and I need to close it to keep my head on my shoulders.

Maybe a bit faster if it's raining. No matter how clean the visor is, or how much you wipe it, it does reduce visibility in the rain (yes I know about all the stuff you cna rub on it).

Damn you're good. Whatever I use (visor, glasses, eyes), they just get soaked and dirty. Of those, the visor is the easiest to wipe, so I close it.

While on the subject of clean visor....what do you clean it with these days?

Cat crap. Works great for me.

Coyote
2nd March 2008, 19:27
Done 180 without a helmet.

Yeah, you heard me, fuck you

Sharry
2nd March 2008, 19:44
Cat crap. Works great for me.

Maybe so my dear but I do want to be able to see through it afterwards.

Jiminy
3rd March 2008, 08:58
Maybe so my dear but I do want to be able to see through it afterwards.

In case you were not joking, I was talking about the product called 'cat crap' and a good clean with whatever tissue you have at hand :)

Tank
3rd March 2008, 09:12

When I become PM - I'm giving you the transport portfolio.

scumdog
3rd March 2008, 09:18

Listened intently.
Never heard a thing.
I guess that comment must have been directed at somebody else??

I did 360 without a helmet, takes a bit of practice spinning right around without falling off.

Jimmy B
3rd March 2008, 09:49

About 170 in an open face you can start making music in an open mouth like exhaling into an empty bottle

I tried that and was going pretty tuneful...so I sped up and blew a hole in the seat of my pants :shit:

Swoop
3rd March 2008, 09:51
I did 360 without a helmet, takes a bit of practice spinning right around without falling off.
So, you have changed profession to a ballet dancer?

90s
3rd March 2008, 10:59
1. Why ride with your visor open, why not close it, i hear so many times of people riding open road speeds then getting hit by rocks....ciggie butts, bees etc etc. Why not just keep your visor open only a crack

My first helmet was an open face AGV my Dad gave me, with a smoked faceplate. I thought it was dorky then, but never had any problems with it and debris.

Last week on my way home down Titirangi Rd was wearing my full HJC just open a tiny crack - the way I always ride - and then a frickin' bee came into the crack - in fact struggled in - and then went a bit mental. Luckily it didn't sting me, and I had the situation under control. I was doing 50kph, and as I see it, on the flat on that straight rd I could probably achieve my bike's max, 235kph. Therefore according to the law of SM, I still had 79% in reserve. This buffer allowed me to ride safely and still deal with the bee, not bin it and also to keep my licence. Easy.
Still, proves the full face no better or worse than open for bees - in my experience.

Jimmy B
3rd March 2008, 11:59
and then a frickin' bee came into the crack .

Its a well known fact that when a bee flies into your crack that things usually get interesting.

I had a bee in my crack once...

I could see him pinned by air pressure in the corner of my vision and I deferred corrective action believing he was wedged in my outer crack. Things changed rapidly when he unwedged and walked across the inside of my visor midway through the twisties north of Whitianga.

EJK
3rd March 2008, 12:04

You have USD legs, now you need Ram Air Nose

90s
3rd March 2008, 18:48
[QUOTE=Jimmy B;1455559]I had a bee in my crack once...
QUOTE]

The bee's latin name is albus dumbledore.

I'll leave it there, Harry.

Big Dave
3rd March 2008, 18:53
I tried that and was going pretty tuneful...so I sped up and blew a hole in the seat of my pants :shit:

To what melody?

1812 would be good.

Big Dave
3rd March 2008, 18:54

You could be Australian with foreplay like that.

Coyote
3rd March 2008, 19:07
When I become PM - I'm giving you the transport portfolio.
Fuck that shit cunt

Listened intently.
Never heard a thing.
I guess that comment must have been directed at somebody else??

Fucking pigs. Fuck the establishment!

You could be Australian with foreplay like that.
Crikey

I shouldn't have children should I?

Sharry
3rd March 2008, 21:17
In case you were not joking, I was talking about the product called 'cat crap' and a good clean with whatever tissue you have at hand :)

Thank you for that Jiminy. I have never heard of cat crap :lol: (outside of a litter box or the vege garden) I presume bike shops or repco sell it?

inlinefour
3rd March 2008, 21:26

Maybe so but considering which end it would be coming out of at 170, I don't think I'd want to try that.

AllanB
3rd March 2008, 21:28
Only gay men ride with open face helmets over 100kmph - helps stretch their mouths and cheeks :buggerd:

Nagash
3rd March 2008, 21:31
Only gay men ride with open face helmets over 100kmph - helps stretch their mouths and cheeks :buggerd:

I wonder if I can ride at 100K's with an open face helmet while getting the reach around from a chicky.. hmm.. :Pokey:

Big Dave
3rd March 2008, 22:21
Maybe so but considering which end it would be coming out of at 170, I don't think I'd want to try that.

Nostrils???

heyjoe
3rd March 2008, 23:04
Thank you for that Jiminy. I have never heard of cat crap :lol: (outside of a litter box or the vege garden) I presume bike shops or repco sell it?

Sharry,

A number of bike shops will sell it. Basically any place that needs to clean goggles, lenses, glasses etc. If Motomail is near you up in Auckland then you can get it there as well. Usually priced around $9.95. Comes in a small orange/red coloured pop up container about the size of a stack of 5 old 20 cent pieces. A little bit goes a long way. Great for people who wear prescription glasses in helmets and visors.

Some info:

http://www.motox1.co.nz/products/goggles/
http://www.motoretail.co.nz/product.cfm?ID=5353

WelshWizard
3rd April 2008, 21:25
Okay a couple of questions here.

1. Why ride with your visor open, why not close it, i hear so many times of people riding open road speeds then getting hit by rocks....ciggie butts, bees etc etc. Why not just keep your visor open only a crack, from the moment i pull out my visor is closed, open just enough so i can breather/ not fog up at lights.

2. Open face helmets....100kph open road guys on harleys etc with open face and no bandana across thier mouth.....how the heck do you breathe, i have had my visor open when i first started riding and at 100kph it's like you mouth becomes a blimin ram air duct, i couldnt blimin breathe. Is it an aquired skill? no not breathing...breathing at blimin 100-140kph.

Serious questions.

I dont understand why you would have your visor open.

And yeah, i was just curious in regards to breathing at high speed with an open face. (lets not get into how unsafe open faces are in crashes, thats enough for a whole nother sub forum.)

Well SkidMark
First when I started rideing motorcycles, it was not law to have a helmet, and 110 MPH was comon, but most of the lads spent some money at Pride and Clark of London and got by mail order, ex RAF flying caps and goggles, after all the leather and cork motorcycle helmet on sale then were more likely to break your neck in a crash than mordern helmets.

Main trick with open face helmets if you plean to ride at 100 MPH + speeds is to do it where it is legal, as you have to have a full face for Track days that limits me to when I go to Germany, then its out with the silk scarf and safety goggle or glasses, ( Dirty Dogs make or good quality shaded glasses, and clear for low visiblity conditions, unlike here at noght you are not allowed by law to have shaded goggles or visors after dark in Germany.)

Second why do we wear open face helmets, Well Dan used to nag me to get a full face all the time, and just about every time I go into a Motorcycle Acc shop I always try to wear one, but every time same result, the moment the helmet goes on phobia kicks in and I stop breathing to the point where, if I don't get the helmet off I will pass out, ( one day I may cure it, after all I keep trying the full face helmets on)
Besides in most crashes I have been in the helmet was never damaged or even scratched, and this includes laying down the bike at about 115 MPH many yers ago, walked away without a scratch or any broken bones, Good old hobnail boots, and ex RAf leathers took all the agro.

As for wind blowing the mouth open , never had a problem, you just keep you mouth shut and breath through your nose, only problem is when you see some thing that makes you smile, then its hell getting the dead bugs out of your teath :lol::whistle::Oops:

homer
3rd April 2008, 21:30

actually you can at least sit on 200 and more with it open , no probs

NordieBoy
14th May 2008, 08:58

No probs at all :D

WelshWizard
14th May 2008, 09:33

Yeah, you heard me

I usually ride visor up untill 100kph. Maybe a bit faster if it's raining. No matter how clean the visor is, or how much you wipe it, it does reduce visibility in the rain (yes I know about all the stuff you cna rub on it).

Back in the day, we only had open face lids, or, often as not, none. Never noticed any issues up to the ton, which was about top whack back then.

I know plenty who flip the visor up, some wear safety glasses, I do myself when it raining, you have better visibility, and thats also an advantage of an open face, better visabilty, I have evn managed to buy a flip top, but find it to restrictive to vison, and has no ear muff built in unlike my open face which has a biult in ear muff that allows low level of noise through while reducing noises over 90dcb to managable levels., as for the rain and things hitting you in the face, wear a scarf if its silk and your face gets into a slide contest with the ground you will find silk is very protective when layered, why do you think the older bullet proof vest used silk to stop a bullet.
As for Ixion's ton up being the max back then that would be MPH or 160KPH to those who have never riden under MPH speed regime