PDA

View Full Version : Camper van hire

Juan
29th November 2004, 07:12
When we come to your fine land next year, after the Aus Moto GP, where can we hire a Camper from to check out some places we might want to live when we take the plunge...

Cheers in advance, Juan

merv
29th November 2004, 07:20
Try one of these:

http://www.maui-rentals.com/

http://www.britz.com/

.... and there are many others you could find on the net. They swarm around our country. I always like seeing the Britz vans and wonder if they all have Poms on board.

Juan
29th November 2004, 07:42
Try one of these:

http://www.maui-rentals.com/

http://www.britz.com/

.... and there are many others you could find on the net. They swarm around our country. I always like seeing the Britz vans and wonder if they all have Poms on board.

Cheers, just one small point, we are not poms, we are MANX a completly different race altogether, we have the oldest parliment in the world, we class the uk as the adjacent island, that pisses them off somewhat....

Thanks again

MOTOXXX
29th November 2004, 07:44
if you type in www.google.co.nz (www.google.co.nz) and click on search pages from nz only
type in camper van hire and there should be heaps.

jrandom
29th November 2004, 07:49
Cheers, just one small point, we are not poms... we class the uk as the adjacent island

Well, us Australians don't care for them fine points of detail.

Juan
29th November 2004, 07:56
Well, us Australians don't care for them fine points of detail.

OK.... so your an American then :whistle:

750Y
29th November 2004, 08:45
... I always like seeing the Britz vans and wonder if they all have Poms on board.

lol, pretty much, they come with immigration application forms in the glovebox.

Juan
29th November 2004, 09:09
lol, pretty much, they come with immigration application forms in the glovebox.

OK ya got me :scooter:

Paul in NZ
29th November 2004, 10:18
Mate..

Campervans cost a mint to hire and can be a royal pain in the bottom.

All you really need is a small 'rent a dent jap car' and an accomodation guide to motor camps and cheap motels. You can usually hire a 'cabin' in a motor camp for bugger all.... Well less than a camper van any way!

Paul N

Hitcher
29th November 2004, 10:35
All you really need is a small 'rent a dent jap car' and an accomodation guide to motor camps and cheap motels. You can usually hire a 'cabin' in a motor camp for bugger all.... Well less than a camper van any way!
And you won't unnecessarily torment any bikers in the process, particularly those whose bloodpressure exceeds "patent pending" when they see the looming fat arse of a campervan in front!

Juan
29th November 2004, 10:39
And you won't unnecessarily torment any bikers in the process, particularly those whose bloodpressure exceeds "patent pending" when they see the looming fat arse of a campervan in front!

Sound like a plan, vans look abit expensive, anyone do bikes???

Hitcher
29th November 2004, 10:50
Have a squiz at http://www.gotournz.com/

Juan
29th November 2004, 11:06
Have a squiz at http://www.gotournz.com/

Cheers, hopefully We have won a tour :)

merv
29th November 2004, 11:06
Cheers, just one small point, we are not poms, we are MANX a completly different race altogether, we have the oldest parliment in the world, we class the uk as the adjacent island, that pisses them off somewhat....

Thanks again

So you won't want to use Britz then because as I said I always wonder if they have Poms on board. They scream "Britz on Tour".

Paul's hit on it, that for the price of a camper van you can rent a cheap car and stay at cheap motels especially if you are not locked into standard school holiday time frames here and you are checking out possible places to live. I am presuming cities and therefore you are not worried about being self contained to stay out in the bush. Less risky too I presume because campers are a target for thieves who will know that you have all your gear on board like nice cameras and stuff.

Juan
29th November 2004, 11:14
So you won't want to use Britz then because as I said I always wonder if they have Poms on board. They scream "Britz on Tour".

Paul's hit on it, that for the price of a camper van you can rent a cheap car and stay at cheap motels especially if you are not locked into standard school holiday time frames here and you are checking out possible places to live. I am presuming cities and therefore you are not worried about being self contained to stay out in the bush. Less risky too I presume because campers are a target for thieves who will know that you have all your gear on board like nice cameras and stuff.

Good point, we will be coming to NZ just after the Aus Moto gp, think it's on 16th Oct, wot sort of money for cheap B+B accom?
unless somebody fancys a trade for our Fazers (1000 and 600) during 2005 TT ( sorry but nobody gets to ride my MV's!!) we also could provide a Camper Van for sleeping in, conected to our house for electric hook up :apint:

merv
29th November 2004, 11:21
Try http://www.jasons.co.nz/ and select the kind of accomodation you might want and where.

Here I'd say motels are the way to go unless you want the charm of a B&B.

Motels for 2 people would typically range from NZ$50/night in a small town to about NZ$120 in a big city. Most do breakfast service to your room on request.

Some of the camp grounds and holiday parks have tourist flats or cabin style accommodation for a whole lot less, and B&B's have a huge range of price depending on how exquisite the place is. Over to you and how much of your bank balance you want to eat into.

Paul in NZ
29th November 2004, 11:23
Good point, we will be coming to NZ just after the Aus Moto gp, think it's on 16th Oct, wot sort of money for cheap B+B accom?
unless somebody fancys a trade for our Fazers (1000 and 600) during 2005 TT ( sorry but nobody gets to ride my MV's!!) we also could provide a Camper Van for sleeping in, conected to our house for electric hook up :apint:

B&B's are not a great tradition here and are as pricey as motels.

Camping grounds here are not like Butlins. A cabin is like renting a caravan in a caravan park in the UK. At worst they are a room with bunks and you use communal cooking washing facilities. Often they have a TV and cooking facilities as well... more like a little Chalet...

Camper vans are great BUT they are a pain to get around cities in and just scream 'rich tourist pickkin's here'. A little car can be hired for bugger all and is a lot easier to park etc. Bikes are an option but October is often not great weather....

I think I have an old Jasons accom guide around here some place I can post you or just poke about on the web.

Paul N

merv
29th November 2004, 11:32
Where do you think you might like to visit and we might be able to give you some suggestions about where to stay?

As an example there is a motel at Featherston over our beloved Rimutaka hill http://www.jasons.co.nz/detail.cfm?privatelabel=no&country=nz&listing_id=50177&list_type=acc which is more low end motel with backpacker and cabin choices too.

Or up the State Highway 1 there are motels at Levin such as http://www.jasons.co.nz/detail.cfm?privatelabel=no&country=nz&listing_id=54613&list_type=acc which is very low end.

Or go over to Martinborough and pay the kind of prices at this place http://www.jasons.co.nz/detail.cfm?privatelabel=no&country=nz&listing_id=60883&list_type=acc which is calling itself boutique motel B&B and is in mid to high price end.

Or go even further to this place http://www.wharekauhau.co.nz/ and wonder if you can pay the bill.

Juan
29th November 2004, 11:44
Where do you think you might like to visit and we might be able to give you some suggestions about where to stay?

Just deleted my reply... that's shit when you type with two fingers, here we go again

from some tv progs...Coromandel Peninsula- Paaanui- Whakatane- Gisbourne- Wairoa- Napier( love the art deco, don't love why it's all art deco!!)Hamilton--Fancied Rotorua but hear it has a smell about it?? is this true?

Cheers guys, all help is very much app :rockon:

Hitcher
29th November 2004, 11:55
Coromandel Peninsula- Paaanui- Whakatane- Gisbourne- Wairoa- Napier( love the art deco, don't love why it's all art deco!!)Hamilton--Fancied Rotorua but hear it has a smell about it?? is this true?
All good choices with the exception of Rotorua and Hamilton.

Rotorua should have a nuclear warhead dropped on it. A big trailer-trash motel strip with boiling mud and steam. Lots of beneficiaries doing drugs. Stinks of sulphur. Most of the surrounding lakes are dead and no use for recreational purposes apart from viewing (but only if you're standing upwind in summer).

Hamilton, on the other hand, is just a big truckstop with a big river running through the middle.

merv
29th November 2004, 12:00
OK I gave you some links for places near Wellington, but you are talking up North and East of North Island. All great places to visit and I wouldn't miss Rotorua no matter what Hitcher says. You only smell it when you arrive and then get used to it.

Search Jasons for each of the places you want to go and you will find there are zillions of motels and other places to choose from.

Wairoa is about the only place you mentioned that's not really worth staying in as you tend to pass through it unless it suits the distance you travel on a particular day.

From what you have said I'd say head out of Auckland and stay a few days on Coromandel peninsula. Whatever takes yout fancy but probably best to stay at Whitianga or Whangamata for the beaches, but do the drives back over to Coromandel town - doing the Driving Creek railway trip if you are into mini tourist things and drive to the top of the peninsula above Coromandel - last bit is gravel with awesome views of the offshore islands.

Then cruise on down through Tauranga, Mt Maunganui, Whakatane staying wherever you feel like and then do the trip round East Cape - motel at Hicks Bay - they got glow worms there too free to see. Go out to the Cape and walk the 700 stairs up to the lighthouse just so you can say you've been there - first place to see the sun each day etc etc. Then cruise on down to Gisborne, through Wairoa to Napier.

You could return to Auckland via Taupo and Rotorua or if you are into wilderness go back to Wairoa and go to Rotorua via Lake Waikaremoana.

Then work your way back to Auckland perhaps doglegging back through Taupo, National Park and Taumarunui.

There are a zillion choices.

Juan
29th November 2004, 12:01
All good choices with the exception of Rotorua and Hamilton.

Rotorua should have a nuclear warhead dropped on it. A big trailer-trash motel strip with boiling mud and steam. Lots of beneficiaries doing drugs. Stinks of sulphur. Most of the surrounding lakes are dead and no use for recreational purposes apart from viewing (but only if you're standing upwind in summer).

Hamilton, on the other hand, is just a big truckstop with a big river running through the middle.

Mmmm Rotorua......???? maybe not then, wait till Slim reads your bit re Hamilton :killingme

It's midnight here now so i guess i need to go to bed!!! work in the morning, will check out links tomorrow, thanks for the input guys.

Cheers, Juan

Juan
29th November 2004, 12:04
OK I gave you some links for places near Wellington, but you are talking up North and East of North Island. All great places to visit and I wouldn't miss Rotorua no matter what Hitcher says. You only smell it when you arrive and then get used to it.

Search Jasons for each of the places you want to go and you will find there are zillions of motels and other places to choose from.

Wairoa is about the only place you mentioned that's not really worth staying in as you tend to pass through it unless it suits the distance you travel on a particular day.

From what you have said I'd say head out of Auckland and stay a few days on Coromandel peninsula. Whatever takes yout fancy but probably best to stay at Whitianga or Whangamata for the beaches, but do the drives back over to Coromandel town - doing the Driving Creek railway trip if you are into mini tourist things and drive to the top of the peninsula above Coromandel - last bit is gravel with awesome views of the offshore islands.

Then cruise on down through Tauranga, Mt Maunganui, Whakatane staying wherever you feel like and then do the trip round East Cape - motel at Hicks Bay - they got glow worms there too free to see. Go out to the Cape and walk the 700 stairs up to the lighthouse just so you can say you've been there - first place to see the sun each day etc etc. Then cruise on down to Gisborne, through Wairoa to Napier.

You could return to Auckland via Taupo and Rotorua or if you are into wilderness go back to Wairoa and go to Rotorua via Lake Waikaremoana.

Then work your way back to Auckland perhaps doglegging back through Taupo, National Park and Taumarunui.

There are a zillion choices.

Sounds like a plan Merv, a very good plan, want to come NOW.... thanks again, Juan

jrandom
29th November 2004, 12:07
Napier would be worth a visit, I can recommend this B&B, run by an old colleague who's a bloody good cook:

http://www.cornucopia-lodge.com/

(I think I can take responsibility for the idea of the 3 nights/$400 winter special, too.)

AMPS
29th November 2004, 12:45

That's my cue!
We've got Harley's and Triumphs.
Harleys are $NZ330 per day inc GST, insurance, riding gear.
Triumphs $NZ230 per day, same deal.
And there's a nice new Sprint ST that's just gone on as a rental.
Lou

jrandom
29th November 2004, 12:48
That's my cue!
We've got Harley's and Triumphs.
Harleys are $NZ330 per day inc GST, insurance, riding gear.
Triumphs $NZ230 per day, same deal.
And there's a nice new Sprint ST that's just gone on as a rental.
Lou

yebbut... even the Trumpets are MORE expensive than a bloody camper van!

Can't see the point of renting bikes in NZ, the prices being the way they are. Better to buy and sell back.

What kinda deals would AMPS do on an agreed-buyback, Lou?

vifferman
29th November 2004, 13:11
Cheers, just one small point, we are not poms, we are MANX a completly different race altogether, we have the oldest parliment in the world, we class the uk as the adjacent island, that pisses them off somewhat....... and no tails. Manxseses have no tails.

MikeL
29th November 2004, 13:18
But if you do decide on a campervan, don't overlook Pacific Horizon (www.pacifichorizon.co.nz).
The fact that my brother owned the company (he recently sold out but retains 25%) is entirely beside the point...

Lou Girardin
29th November 2004, 19:40
yebbut... even the Trumpets are MORE expensive than a bloody camper van!

Can't see the point of renting bikes in NZ, the prices being the way they are. Better to buy and sell back.

What kinda deals would AMPS do on an agreed-buyback, Lou?

We'll do that, PM queries only. But it only makes sense over longer terms. And anyway, how else can you get the Harley experience for a mere $330?
C'mon Mr Random, become a Harleyista for a months supply of vino.

Ghost Lemur
29th November 2004, 19:54
But if you do decide on a campervan, don't overlook Pacific Horizon (www.pacifichorizon.co.nz).
The fact that my brother owned the company (he recently sold out but retains 25%) is entirely beside the point...

I saw a convoy of them today, every single one had an elderly couple in it (there were about 5 all up).

It was scary for reasons I can't quite work out. :D

geoffm
29th November 2004, 20:09
When we come to your fine land next year, after the Aus Moto GP, where can we hire a Camper from to check out some places we might want to live when we take the plunge...

Cheers in advance, Juan

My folks got back from the South Island last week, bringing my stuff back from Christchurch. They got a Maui campervan relocation - it is a good deal. The camper van co needs to get the van back to Auckland from Christchurch, so they pay the ferry and you get the camper for $1 per day.
The price of campervans it is cheaper to rent a stationwagon or normal car and stay in motels. Check out the prices...
Geoff

MikeL
29th November 2004, 21:19
I saw a convoy of them today, every single one had an elderly couple in it (there were about 5 all up).

Because retired foreigners have the time and the money.

Statistically 1 would have been Aussies, 2 Brits and 2 Germans. Just be grateful that Asian tourists prefer to go by bus...

Juan
30th November 2004, 10:36
Hi guys, looking like a car and wherever we lay our heads will be fine, not sure we can wait till october to come to see you!!!
Thanks again guys and gals, still checking out the links.... If I printed all the info out we would need a second plane to bring it all :eek:

Cheers, Juan

Slim
30th November 2004, 12:05
Check your e-mail, Juan. :)