PDA

View Full Version : I THANK a cage driver!

Kwaka-Kid
15th August 2003, 13:09
one of my shit arse days again.. firstly just about T-Bone a stupid asain lady in a civic as she pulls out on me on dominion road!.. that was a bad enuf experience in hte day.. but then riding from job#1 to job#2  just coming off the st lukes offramp i ran outta gas on top tank, so i flick switch whilst riding... and wait.. splutter splutter.. wait... hmm, fuck still not going.. come to a stop! bitch! either a) ON has been sucking from reserve (the pipe could have fallen) or b) reserve throat of tap is blocked... either way i need gas, and its approx 2-3K over lumpy hills.. FFS! so i start the pushing.. only to be interupted by a bloody nice bloke apporox 25yo driving a late model integra.. what a dude. picked me up, took me there, got the gas, took me back, helped push the bike up the hill (as gas wasnt sucking thru enuf on start motor and didnt wanna waste battery for spark) then push it back down.. finally after a 30min waste of his time it runs...   Thanks to that dude! and the measly $10 note i had in my pocket was not enuf i feel! even tho he really didnt wanna take it...  We need more dudes like that, after a good 50-100 cars passing me.  He was a cyclist tho and said its hard enuf after a tiring cycling ride to get over those last hills to his place, so he understood.  So if he randomly reads this THANKS Mr. Cage Driver! You tha man! oh and then to make the day even worse, coming home @ like, random hour of morning (only had to work @ 2nd job for like an hour) i was coming around a left hander.. hugging the kurb, when FUCK! what i thought was a cardboard box was in my way, had to hardout change my line and nearly piss my pants as i thought the tyres wudnt take it, and got around it, only to last minute realise it was a friggin green wheelie bin! shit that was close... just happy i wasnt on the GS1000, coz when i pick a line, i sure as hell cant change it anytime too fast :S  god love light bikes.

anyways thats my thanks/rants.  Just to waste another 5mins, whilst im happy and have just finished making my own can for my racebike :D 44mmOD perpherated tube approx 500mm long, in 450mm long can approx 80mmOD.  nice, with stainless wool stuff paking in it.. very nice.. jsut waiting for dad to gas weld the perpherated tube onto the tip.. sweeeeet :D

Coldkiwi
15th August 2003, 13:25
so in summary then...

running out of gas sucks (oh yes I FULLY  agree!)
nice drivers do exist (max respect)
KK's bikes are still dodgy and ridden beyond their limit :P
KK is going to have one highly illegal and quite likely useless 'muffler' on one of his bikes soon! (stainless is a woeful sound absorber!.. save weight, pull the 'wool' out and get the same raucous din!)

Sorry dude... couldn't resist! :D

merv
15th August 2003, 13:39
Saw the documentary on TV3 the other night about DWA (driving while Asian) so tell me is it really that bad in Auckland these days? (Don't knock Honda Civics all the same.) We are a bit immune from that down at the bottom end of the island so far, as I find the ones that piss me off the most are usually pacific island taxi drivers or whanau/fanau driving slow diesel vans full to the gunnels with heavy weight people. They always seem to be driving slowly in the wrong place blocking everyone else's lines and never keeping left when they aren't passing.

MikeL
15th August 2003, 15:04
Originally posted by merv
Saw the documentary on TV3 the other night about DWA (driving while Asian) so tell me is it really that bad in Auckland these days?

Bad mistake. Once you start us Jafas on the problems caused by recent immigrants/overseas students, you'll regret you asked. Most of us could write a book (and some of us will probably post the equivalent)...

Kokopelli
15th August 2003, 17:21
Originally posted by MikeL
Bad mistake. Once you start us Jafas on the problems caused by recent immigrants/overseas students, you'll regret you asked. Most of us could write a book (and some of us will probably post the equivalent)...

And that is saying a lot considering the number of local drivers who don't know that they have an indicator or only use them while double parking. Corner of Mt Albert road and Dominion road must be the double parking capital of the world.

merv
15th August 2003, 19:21
Originally posted by Kokopelli
And that is saying a lot considering the number of local drivers who don't know that they have an indicator or only use them while double parking. Corner of Mt Albert road and Dominion road must be the double parking capital of the world.

So the Asians are the innocents amongst all this its really the Jafas to blame?

I see the South Island killed a couple more running their 4x4 off the road with six on board and two never made it. Damn we don't want them to stop bringing their money here as fee paying students but NZ is said to be getting bad publicity as a place for Chinese to get their education.

Perhaps we are lucky they have so much money they haven't got into bikes, just boy racer cars.

Firefight
15th August 2003, 19:56
Shit KK, if it wasn't for bad luck. would you have any luck ??:argh: , but to my main pet hate, those drivers mentioned,
not a day goes buy when myself or my co workers have a problem with them, last year a guy on my station was knocked off his bike by a young dude learning to drive (by himself) in his dads car, apparently he spoke no english, but soon found the words
"no ,me no speed" when the revenue collection , opps sorry Police officer turned up:argh:

The dudes father turned up at the hospital, with, yes you guessed it, a big cheque book, my mate did okay out of it,
but it makes me wonder if Winston Peters might have a point !

Any way cool to hear about the cage driver who helped ya

firefight

:rockon:

MikeL
15th August 2003, 20:18
Originally posted by merv
So the Asians are the innocents amongst all this its really the Jafas to blame?

No. It's the tangata whenua. See tonight's TV advertisement??

Marmoot
15th August 2003, 22:42
I tend to say "it's the human"

Drivers are inherently bad. Good drivers are made, not born.

Kwaka-Kid
16th August 2003, 00:11
In a way i would LIKE to agree marmoot... however i do believe in many cases they are born.

Not to say all asian drivers are bad, oh no, there are some good ones im sure (still looking out for those ones) and i dont know wheather or not its because they learnt in asia, were taught badly, or heaps of other reasons like that, possibly its just general upbringing etc, not even traffic related, has a difference, it has to doesnt it, but anyways, i think it is often bred into them or somthing, certain things... I.e: I have an asian pull out on me, i generally know what they are going to do, every, EVERY single time in my experience, their instant natural reaction is to BRAKE! HIT THOSE PICKS AS HARD AS I CAN!

now, i have once had a (approx 40ish) european man pull out on me in a traffic light situation, now if he had of braked.. that would have fucking been it! i woulda smacked him bang in the passangers door on an odd angle. however i *think* his brain interperated the situation differently to that of my general asain i speak of, and may have realised this, and did the best thing he could, hit the gas fast as, and just darted out of the way.  Now im not saying that these european drivers are better, but in my experience i have found what they do with the information their eyes take in, seems to definatly be different in general, and has in my cases of experience, been of better value in terms of saftey to me.

But what do i know, im just another redneck, piece of white trash that doesnt deserve his money.    And proud of it! :rockon:

Shade
16th August 2003, 11:09
Reminds me of a time when My Bike wouldnt start, and I had to push it for about 2K's to my house up and down hills.

There was no other alternative, and I was screwed, except for KK - He managed to come round and give me a hand in pushing it. Was one of the coolest things someone has done for me and i sure as hell wont forget it.

As he left I said thanks alot man.

"Anything for a biker" KK said.

Bro, what goes round comes round i guess. Thanks alot. Hope you had a happy Bday man, take care alright!

Respect.

Shade.

Kwaka-Kid
16th August 2003, 12:15
hey shade! welcome, and great to see you here!

Thanks for that comment dude, maybe it is true.  Anyway are you going to show up at the Kiwibiker BBQ/my 18th @ mitchs place out far west next saturday?  hope so, and let kerran know hes welcome too.

Cheers man. cu

Marmoot
16th August 2003, 22:29
KK: no, what you said just supported my arguments.

Good drivers are made, not born.
They become good from the environment they drive in.
Asian driving environment (read: backward 3rd world countries) are just gridlocks, fighting for space, and you only need to look forward.
They are not used to drive 60kph in residential areas (let alone 140kph in open road). Hence they are not as good as western drivers.

Although, don't forget, some (a lot) western drivers are just as bad. Lookout for middle-aged 3-piece-suit man with chained-glasses in a BMW 5. They tend to care more for their phones than leather-clad sexy human on metal beast.

Kwaka-Kid
17th August 2003, 07:16
yeah spose what i said did compliament your arguement in a way, but i do still think it could be bred into them :)   and i find it fascinating that it takes them so long (their whole life?!?!) to adapt? surely if i went over there id have it suss'd in a month would i not?

Marmoot
17th August 2003, 22:15
ah, KK. You're still young :p
Once you're 25 you'll realize how hard it is for old people to RELEARN something
:done:

What?
18th August 2003, 06:47
Originally posted by Marmoot
Although, don't forget, some (a lot) western drivers are just as bad. Lookout for middle-aged 3-piece-suit man with chained-glasses in a BMW 5.

Woman, any age, driving (?!?) a Volvo, any age.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Coldkiwi
18th August 2003, 12:47
although this is about thanking cage drivers... I;'ll diverge into cage driver bashing anyway .. because I have a few theories (reduced in dribble for your convenience)

1) bikers are often better because they are generally more interested in self improvement. Not all bikers are (ie. some Ulysses members who have ridden for years but have not tried to advance their riding skill (skill being different from speed!)) interested in self -improvement but a much higher percentage than the car drivers who are driving because its a convenience thing. Bikers are riding because its generally an interest thing.

2) Problems relating to asians driving in New Zealand may well be linked to the way their culture in asaia operates. It can be seen in the way Asians excell in activities requiring concentration on rote learnt activities. Asian students typically do very well at sciences and mathematics where large amounts of information and formulae need to be remembered, but are often not as successful in activities requiring a very lateral 'outside the square' approach... such as art. The guts (as I think I see it) is that when confronted with a panic situation, an asian driver may well resort to what they know how to do rather than considering all the options available.: 'I'm going too fast therefore I hit the brakes as hard as I can to stop as fast as I can'.

While this may be the best course of action in some situations, a better solution that many of us (as alert and paranoid bikers) would contemplate is :

'I'm going too fast, brake to get off as much speed as I can without locking up and loosing control, start moving into my emergency area I've already decided on and then start looking for other cars doing unexpected things"

thoughts?

Big Dog
18th August 2003, 13:54
:stupid: I think it is a cultural thing. I know in some countries drink driving causing an accident only carries a fine, unless someone dies, without a permanent record! It is no worse than speeding!

Then they don't even need to learn our road code to drive here.

I try to be aware of these differences but still swear in my helmet a lot:angry2:

Also a lot of immagrants are used to driving in countries where they are on roads so packed that forcing their way in is the only way.

I have to say my driving was nowhere near as good before i Got into bikes:niceone: And it has in my mind any way gotten better with each class of license i have achieved, because you become more aware of the short comings of each type of vehicle. Some bikers will disagree because I am now a much more cautious driver (read that slower).
I like thailands rule that the smallest vehicle always has right of way. Hence so many mopeds and bikes.

With this in mind should it be a requirement to get a Motorcycle license before you are allowed to drive a 1/2 -2&1/2 ton killing machine?

Hell no!
Could you imagine the acc levies!

But this is all :Offtopic:

A big thanks to the four cars and two motorcyles who stopped to help me down in Puke.

Particlarly the single female who stopped in the middle of nowhere at 7oclock at night to help a pair of 100kg plus bikers
:niceone:

And the silver Triumph :niceone:

jrandom
18th August 2003, 13:58
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
I have a few theories <snip>

1) bikers are often better because they are generally more interested in self improvement

Right on bro. Cages are all about hauling stuff from A to B, and people take that mindset when using them. How excited do you get about dragging shopping round the supermarket in a trolley? 'coz that's all there is to cars unless you're roadracing or rallying (and I'd *still* rather race a bike, or go motocrossing). Bikes offer almost limitless opportunity for skill advancement and personal enjoyment, no matter where you're riding them. Most riders take advantage of that, and it affects their general attitude toward road usage. QED.

2) Asians excell in activities requiring concentration on rote learnt activities... not as successful in activities requiring a very lateral 'outside the square' approach

thoughts?

Well, dude, living in Howick, you'd know, wouldn't you? :D

Any resident Asians on the forum (yoohoo, Mr Tse...) care to comment? I really have no idea whether this is just a popular stereotype, or if there is actually a cutural bias toward rote-learned, 'in-the-mold' behaviour.

Tell you what, though, when a car wanders onto the motorway sideways going 40kmh too slow, or jumps out in front of me through an intersection without looking, 80% of the time it's an Asian driver.

And the only guy I know personally who had a multi-vehicle accident (ie, not a highside/lowside/dumb drop) on a bike had it when he T-boned a Korean student in a Skyline turbo after said student pulled out in front of him as he (on the bike) was going straight through an intersection with ROW.

He didn't have any trouble getting dough out of the guy to pay for the damage to his VFR, though... try having that much luck with your typical scruffy white westie bloke :p

SPman
18th August 2003, 20:59
ah, KK. You're still young :p
Once you're 25 you'll realize how hard it is for old people to RELEARN something
:done:

Well....speak for yourself!&nbsp; :confused:

MikeL
18th August 2003, 20:59
My observations about Asian drivers:
They fall into 2 main categories:
1. women and older men: they tend to drive quite slowly and with an expression of great concentration on their face; they obey all traffic regulations except watching out for other traffic - the concentration often doesn't extend to checking that nothing is coming towards them with right of way. I ride through the Royal Oak roundabout every day and at least once a week I would get knocked off by an Asian (woman) driver if I didn't anticipate their action. The expression of utter amazement on their face when I sound the horn and flash my light is priceless!
Because generally they drive so slowly, their frequent accidents don't usually have serious consequences.
2. young men, usually students, driving cars way too powerful for their very limited experience. These are the ones who kill themselves and others at an alarming rate. 19 or 20 years old, away from home for the first time, driving on roads very different from their home country - if indeed they have had any experience at all. It's a good thing that generally they're not interested in motorbikes. According to a dealer I spoke to who occasionally gets an enquiry from a young Asian, they are basically uninsurable. He told me that of 2 or 3 that he knows of who bought a bike, the average survival time was about a week.
In case anyone thinks this is just an Asian-bashing rant, I should explain that my work brings me into contact with Asian students every day. Once you get past the language and cultural barriers, they are just ordinary young people with similar hopes, worries and concerns as Kiwi kids. It's just that their background hasn't prepared them for the freedoms and choices (and responsibilities) that we are brought up with.

Big Dog
18th August 2003, 21:11
One Indian I sold a car to told me he has to buy a new car every month on average for his malaysian wife, usualy cause of an accident.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

SPman
18th August 2003, 21:25
My observations about Asian drivers:

FEK!

SCREECH!

SKREEEK!

CRUNCH!

"Why you fall off? I stop!"

F**$@#!!!!!!!

X 2 !&nbsp;&nbsp; :argh:

Marmoot
18th August 2003, 22:46
I am now qualified as Asian Boyracer with overpowered rear-wheel drive sports car :(

Dave
19th August 2003, 09:57
After reading this thread i got curious and did a google search on asian drivers-seems its not just an nz problem-complaints from all over the states and canada. I particularly liked the story about the car that pulld out of a driveway onto the wrong side of the medium barrier and proceeded to drive the wrong way up the road going against the oncoming traffic. or is that Tlaffic.

Kwaka-Kid
19th August 2003, 20:15
ahahah dave

reckon.

this is actually not a bad thread :) maybe we should make a proper one titled to suit? lol!

Coldkiwi
19th August 2003, 21:42
I am now qualified as Asian Boyracer with overpowered rear-wheel drive sports car :(

possibly... but from what I've seen you clearly have some damn decent road skills and I'm sure motorcycling has made you one of the more aware road users in NZ!

lets face it, we're all a menace to society (my boy racerish flat mate assures me I am no exception and he's quite right!) ... some drivers just manage to menace society and damn near kill everyone around them too!

Marmoot
19th August 2003, 22:18
possibly... but from what I've seen you clearly have some damn decent road skills and I'm sure motorcycling has made you one of the more aware road users in NZ!

lets face it, we're all a menace to society (my boy racerish flat mate assures me I am no exception and he's quite right!) ... some drivers just manage to menace society and damn near kill everyone around them too!

Thank's Rich, but I have to admit I'm much worse in cars than on bikes.

I can tell you, driving cars well is much more difficult than riding bike. Although, riding bike safely is the most difficult thing in the world (second to riding bike safely and fast).

Lou Girardin
25th August 2003, 08:38
A couple of years ago I did driver testing for the AA. The Asians that had prof instruction were fine. The others, my God!
What really bugs me is, making eye contact with Asian drivers and they still pull out into your path.

Big Dog
25th August 2003, 09:54
Originally posted by Lou Girardin
What really bugs me is, making eye contact with Asian drivers and they still pull out into your path.

Don't you know eye contact is a direct challenge:gob:
Lmao
Ciao, Big Dog.

Andrew
25th August 2003, 11:08
I had some young Asian girl jaywalking right out in front of me while on my bike in the CBD. She just wasn't looking and had my wing mirror clip her shoulder at about 20kph. (At the time I had only been riding for about a month and didn't know how to swerve properly). I pulled over to the side of the road to access the situation. Her boyfriend came up to me and demanded that I aplogise to her. I tried to explain to him that she stupidly walked out in the street without looking and it was as if she was trying to commit suicide. This guy didn't seem to understand what i was saying, so I just took off.

The next day i reported the incident for information down at the police station. The cop just said to me something like "bloody asian, seems to happen all the time".

I was so mad at the time that this girl was trying to put me in the wrong .

:angry2: but now i just accept that it must be a culture thing.

Coldkiwi
25th August 2003, 12:17
hehe, what you need to do now andrew is use your bike to EDUCTATE them! Do what I do (if you're that way inclined). When you see them amble out (no excuses for not seeing them walk out!) get nice and close (1m is suitable but off to the side) pull the clutch in, hit the horn and rev the engine all at once! Wakes them up nicely and&nbsp;I can only imagine that they will be at least a LITTLE more careful next time.

I've seen some interesting panic stricken goose steps from jaywalkers doing this :D

&nbsp;

highly entertaining!

Marmoot... you're gonna have to expand for me. How is it more difficult to drive a car well?

Coldkiwi
25th August 2003, 12:21
'eductate'....

&nbsp;:Oops:

&nbsp;way to go CK... that'll make ya look real smart!

&nbsp;

Big Dog
25th August 2003, 13:19
:stupid:
:angry2:+:gob:= Better than :roadkill: or:bash: 0r:ar15:
You do the math.

jrandom
25th August 2003, 14:34
'eductate'

There *is* the 'Edit' button, you know... feck-ups can stay your own little secret if you notice them quick enough :p

:o

Big Dog
25th August 2003, 14:38
Originally posted by jrandom
There *is* the 'Edit' button, you know... feck-ups can stay your own little secret if you notice them quick enough :p

:o
You wouldn't be speaking from experience though would you:whistle:

Coldkiwi
25th August 2003, 14:42
EDIT!?

*looks at the bottom bar*

oh man... talk about missing the boat

hehe, oh well!