PDA

View Full Version : Lake Waikaremoana Road

NiggleC
5th March 2008, 11:59
After completing the "Mini Returns" i will be doing a bit of a tour with Mrs C around the Coromandel - Bay of Plenty. She flies back to Chch from Rotorua and i was thinking of heading east before heading home. Whats this road like and any idea of how long it would takes to get from Rotorua to Wairoa?
any info much appreciated.

Jimmy B
5th March 2008, 12:03
After completing the "Mini Returns" i will be doing a bit of a tour with Mrs C around the Coromandel - Bay of Plenty. She flies back to Chch from Rotorua and i was thinking of heading east before heading home. Whats this road like and any idea of how long it would takes to get from Rotorua to Wairoa?
any info much appreciated.

Its been a while but a fair amount of gravel like 100Ks plus, very twisty and scenic.

Motoracer
5th March 2008, 12:06
Its been a while but a fair amount of gravel like 100Ks plus, very twisty and scenic.

I went during Jan this year and I can confirm that it's a good 3-4 hours of non-stop gravel road...

tri boy
5th March 2008, 13:14
Do it.:Punk: Give yourself at least 5-6 hrs from Rotovegas-Wairoa to truly enjoy it.
Clint, Zukin etc will give you more accurate knowledge of the area.
fuel is also available at the lake.(a bit more expensive though).
Approx 100km unseal in good condition. (kanny's Volty did it easily).

NiggleC
5th March 2008, 14:38
thanks for the great info everyone. Mrs C's flight doesnt leave until 2.30 so might be pushing it a bit to get to Wairoa that day so maybe overnight at Waikaremoana itself.

MaxB
6th March 2008, 22:35
If you set off about 2.30 from Rotorua you could be in Murupara by 3.15. Then the gravel starts. Daylight saving has been put back so it will still be light at 7.30. That gives you 4 and a bit hours to get through. Easy if it stays dry. The road turns back into seal about 20 mins south of Lake Waikaremoana and from there it is about 20 mins into Wairoa.

Even if you stay in Wairoa you will want to go up to the lake the next day and spend some more time there, it has stunning scenery.

Remember unlike a lot of SI gravel this is a designated provincial highway (SH38) so you can meet all sorts up there. I have nearly collected various logging trucks, milk tankers and a school bus over the years.

Hope this helps.

NiggleC
10th March 2008, 11:04
think i might stay the night at Rotorua and have an early morning start. will be looking for a bit of a break by then so works in nicely.

thanks
Nigel

Laava
11th March 2008, 21:43
Do it! I did Murupara to Wairoa no probs on a tank on the Strom. Here is what the views are like. Spot the bus!:niceone: