PDA

View Full Version : Friend had a GN. New new one.

McDuck
5th March 2008, 15:38
It has shat itself. Now he is rather annoyed and insulting suzuki's.... so what do i say to him?

Finn
5th March 2008, 15:40
so what do i say to him?

Have you tried "Ha ha!"

Tank
It has shat itself. Now he is rather annoyed and insulting suzuki's.... so what do i say to him?

Judging all Suzuki's because of a busted GN, is like judging all bikers because of Skidmark.

McDuck
Have you tried "Ha ha!"

I some how dont think that would help...

Maha
5th March 2008, 15:41
Sucks to be him really aye?....

McDuck
5th March 2008, 15:42
Judging all Suzuki's because of a busted GN, is like judging all bikers because of Skidmark.

Fair point.

HTFU
5th March 2008, 15:47

Would depend on how old it is and how many kms it did.

Suzuki NZ won't be seeing another dime from me due to the total lack of support for the issues with my chinese GN.

IMHO - poor decision in bringing in Chinese crap. Too many issues with what is warranty, lots of little problems etc. GPX has not had one problem in 12000km.

Jantar
5th March 2008, 15:49

So what has happened to it? and why?

A lot of new bikers seem to have an extraordinary amout of trouble with their bikes irrespective of make. Has it been serviced? was there any oil in it? etc. Simple things that many new riders just forget about.

Waxxa
5th March 2008, 15:51
Thats a bummer Mcduck5n. Those GNs' are usually really reliable. He needs to keep hounding Suzuki on its warranty.

McDuck
5th March 2008, 16:14
I am a wee fucked off irght now, he is goign off about...... a........ battery! Only a fucking battery! I dont think he is a true biker.

Mully
5th March 2008, 16:18
IMHO - poor decision in bringing in Chinese crap. Too many issues with what is warranty, lots of little problems etc

I heard Suzuki NZ had told head office that they didn't want any more for that very reason. They were costing NZ money in terms of warranty replacements and repairs.

My nephew wants to get a bike. I've told him to look at old GNs but stay the hell away from new ones.

dipshit
5th March 2008, 16:43
I am a wee fucked off irght now, he is goign off about...... a........ battery! Only a fucking battery! I dont think he is a true biker.

Yeah, tell him all bikes are shit and he should get a SUV pratmobile instead.

Sounds like that would be more him. <_<

FROSTY
5th March 2008, 16:49
bet the battery terminal is just loose

Tank
5th March 2008, 19:48

You tell him it was only a battery and HTFU !

offrd
5th March 2008, 20:07
All chinese shit, Ya gets what ya pays for... zuki, homosung, minichopper... whatever....

Tank
5th March 2008, 20:10
All chinese shit, Ya gets what ya pays for... zuki, homosung, minichopper... whatever....

hobags are as chinese as Richie McCaw

HTFU
5th March 2008, 20:20

Trouble is many new riders bought Suzuki GNs thinking they were made in Japan like the rest of their bikes.

Before I got mine I posted on here asking about how good the GN was as a learner bike. Most replies said they were good bikes, reliable and cheap to run. No one said be careful the new ones are made not just in China but from chinese materials.

Found out pretty quick that they were though. :mad:

GPX is from Thailand but most of the parts are from Japan, so quality hasn't changed over the last 20 years - AFAIK.

offrd
5th March 2008, 20:39
hobags are as chinese as Richie McCaw

True so Richie McCaw was born in Korea and made to chinese standards.

Shit made in Korea is meant to be better than chinese but looking at Hyosungs they are no better than a sweatshop built minichopper.

Getting off topic here..

Good luck getting the sweat shop built GN sorted!

All
6th March 2008, 09:02
LOL @ Homosung!

sunhuntin
6th March 2008, 09:11
Trouble is many new riders bought Suzuki GNs thinking they were made in Japan like the rest of their bikes.

Before I got mine I posted on here asking about how good the GN was as a learner bike. Most replies said they were good bikes, reliable and cheap to run. No one said be careful the new ones are made not just in China but from chinese materials.

Found out pretty quick that they were though. :mad:

GPX is from Thailand but most of the parts are from Japan, so quality hasn't changed over the last 20 years - AFAIK.

i musta missed your thread... im almost always typing about how much hassle i had with mine... and that was a bike that was well looked after and serviced often. im always telling new riders, or kids looking at getting into bikes to get an 80s ginny if they must have one at all.
had a young girl in the other week whos just got her mc learners... asked her whats shes got, and she seemed ashamed about having an old ginny. she soon cheered up when i said they are the better ones... new bike doesnt always equal reliable.

mcduck... tell your friend to quit bagging 'zuki [or else ignore him] and tell him to get something else.

McDuck
6th March 2008, 10:20
He want a HD. Cant save them all.

sunhuntin
6th March 2008, 11:29
He want a HD. Cant save them all.

nothing wrong with harleys [hell, i want one as well!] but they dont make 250s, unless he hunts out an old aermacchi.

tri boy
6th March 2008, 11:31
and Kanny's Volty still travels the country, seal, gravel n tracks.
90's Gn engine has purred like a kitten ever since we got it last year with 13500km on it. It's up to 23000km now and just showing signs of a wearing cam chain.
Can't understand why these things never took off in NZ.:scratch:

All
6th March 2008, 12:03
nothing wrong with harleys [hell, i want one as well!] but they dont make 250s, unless he hunts out an old aermacchi.Exactly what isn't wrong with them?

Tank
6th March 2008, 12:09
Exactly what isn't wrong with them?

Come on - if you are going to try a troll - at least try to come up with something either original, or amusing.

Livvy
6th March 2008, 12:14
Come on - if you are going to try a troll - at least try to come up with something either original, or amusing.
+1

And back on topic:

Tell him to stop his bitching, do his best to either get it fixed or sell it off, then help him choose a new one... He sounds like he needs the help! My friend has a GN that she's selling (in favour of a cage, ugh), but I think hers is a new Chinese one too - it's only an 06 I think, but she hasn't had any trouble with it.

sunhuntin
6th March 2008, 12:16

judging by that comment, you will never own or ride one, so that in itself is a bonus!

Renegade
6th March 2008, 12:19
True so Richie McCaw was born in Korea and made to chinese standards.

Shit made in Korea is meant to be better than chinese but looking at Hyosungs they are no better than a sweatshop built minichopper.

Getting off topic here..

Good luck getting the sweat shop built GN sorted!

never had a fault with my hyobag in the two years ive owned it, thats communting daily and several 400km+ road trips, so i fail to see how you have substantiated your post.

swbarnett
6th March 2008, 13:09
but I think hers is a new Chinese one too - it's only an 06 I think, but she hasn't had any trouble with it.
Mine's an 06 as well. In 21,000km I've replaced several bulbs and had to repair the inside of both rear indicators as the metal had broken under the vibration. Other than that it's given me no trouble at all. And apart form the first service it's not been fully serviced at all (I've just changed the oil, filter and spark plug at the correct intervals). I'm not a gentle rider either, most of the time the rev counter is somewhere near red line (only way to get anything like performance from the GN, especially on the open road).

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 13:12
One word - Poser.

Livvy
6th March 2008, 13:16
Mine's an 06 as well. In 21,000km I've replaced several bulbs and had to repair the inside of both rear indicators as the metal had broken under the vibration. Other than that it's given me no trouble at all. And apart form the first service it's not been fully serviced at all (I've just changed the oil, filter and spark plug at the correct intervals). I'm not a gentle rider either, most of the time the rev counter is somewhere near red line (only way to get anything like performance from the GN, especially on the open road).
I don't think she's quite as ballsy as you!

Hers is an around-town commuter, you know the type, the ones you see who wear shorts and a flash little shirt and little ballet-style shoes and no other gear besides the helmet? The ones who you make you want to bury your face in your hands and cry about? I love her still, and there is a difference between taking a risk and ignoring the risk... she just ignores the risks.

I'm almost glad she's getting a car...

All
6th March 2008, 13:16

+1
That sure as hell ain't trolling fellas. I just don't especially like Harleys (though, admittedly, I've never ridden one).

How bout you get off your high horses and relax. If you don't like what I post, feel free not to read it.

Livvy
6th March 2008, 13:18
That sure as hell ain't trolling fellas. I just don't especially like Harleys (though, admittedly, I've never ridden one).

How bout you get off your high horses and relax. If you don't like what I post, feel free not to read it.
I've never been on one at all, not even pillion yet I don't get smart about them.

Okay, you're not trolling, sweet as, but every bike was designed with a purpose in mind, and yep, you're fully entitled to your opinion, but come on. Have a real reason to insult them, not just because that's where the crowd goes...

All
6th March 2008, 13:32
I've never been on one at all, not even pillion yet I don't get smart about them.

Okay, you're not trolling, sweet as, but every bike was designed with a purpose in mind, and yep, you're fully entitled to your opinion, but come on. Have a real reason to insult them, not just because that's where the crowd goes...Fair comment. But I reserve the right to have unreasonable biases. :)

My view has little to do with public opinion; some of the things I love most about motorcycles are acceleration and handling--both things that Harleys are gennerally lacking.

Honestly, I don't feel that strongly about Harleys; I'd actually be keen to have a bash on one.

It's obviously a very sore spot for some of the more hysterical among us; I'll be sure to watch my language in the future. ;)

Livvy
6th March 2008, 13:39
Fair comment. But I reserve the right to have unreasonable biases. :)

My view has little to do with public opinion; some of the things I love most about motorcycles are acceleration and handling--both things that Harleys are gennerally lacking.

Honestly, I don't feel that strongly about Harleys; I'd actually be keen to have a bash on one.

It's obviously a very sore spot for some of the more hysterical among us; I'll be sure to watch my language in the future. ;)
I think it's more just that you are on a forum where a lot of people own Harley Davidsons, and that there are so many people out there who bitch about them continually whom have never even ridden one either!

Yes, I agree Harleys lack in quick acceleration and are less than best for cornering quickly on NZ roads, that's an easy given, but really, if you're going along some of the highways in America (or even here), you don't need those things. If I was going to tour America I'd do it on a Harley before I'd do it on a sportbike. They're more comfortable for one thing - or at least I'd guess they would be. :blink:

All
6th March 2008, 13:44
I think it's more just that you are on a forum where a lot of people own Harley Davidsons, and that there are so many people out there who bitch about them continually whom have never even ridden one either!

Yes, I agree Harleys lack in quick acceleration and are less than best for cornering quickly on NZ roads, that's an easy given, but really, if you're going along some of the highways in America (or even here), you don't need those things. If I was going to tour America I'd do it on a Harley before I'd do it on a sportbike. They're more comfortable for one thing - or at least I'd guess they would be. :blink:I hear you on the comfort thing. I've owned a couple of sports bikes (sold my ZX10r bout 8 months ago). I found them hellishly uncomfortable. That's one thing I love about my current bike, it handles pretty damned well and it's comfortable.

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 13:47
Yes, I agree Harleys lack in quick acceleration and are less than best for cornering quickly on NZ roads, that's an easy given, but really, if you're going along some of the highways in America (or even here), you don't need those things. If I was going to tour America I'd do it on a Harley before I'd do it on a sportbike. They're more comfortable for one thing - or at least I'd guess they would be. :blink:

Agreed, Harley's are made for the stuipdly long open roads with some slight bends in them. - Hence why i too would probably tour the US on one as well.

They don't suit New Zealand Roads that well but are not quite as bad as one would think. - I know from a good source (slightly bias towards sports bikes as well), that the Nightrod (or whatever it is the one with slightly high peg's) actually handles pretty good, considering all things.

Your friend appears to be a "poser", He's not opening his eye's and seeing the true meaning of riding, instead he's riding for the ideal of it. - Getting chicks *ahem* looking cool.

Take him on a ride tho a nice twisty, smooth road and tell him to relax and enjoy. - He will either love it and never complain again. Or continue to complain.
Hell at least he doesn't jump on the bike and go screaming round corners without any sense of limitations of the bike and end's up on his arse. Like many young riders of this era.
(I may be wrong, Just how i see it).

P.s Let's not turn this into a Harley bashing thread.

Livvy
6th March 2008, 13:48
I hear you on the comfort thing. I've owned a couple of sports bikes (sold my ZX10r bout 8 months ago). I found them hellishly uncomfortable. That's one thing I love about my current bike, it handles pretty damned well and it's comfortable.
That's why I like my GPX (if I ever get a chance to sit on it again... the tank leaks and is probably irrepairable :doh:). Not one of the new designs, so it's not so sporty, and quite comfortable.

slimjim
6th March 2008, 13:49
yup still reckon "ha ha ha ' battery!!!! "ha ha ha " , humm

Tank
6th March 2008, 14:02

Not on a high horse sunshine - simply pointing out that your question was a boring argument used by trolls many, many times before.

And before you think Im a HD fanboi - Ive never ridden one, done care for the styling of some of their models, love some of it on others - and cannot comment on quality, reliability or vibrations.

Livvy
6th March 2008, 14:06
Agreed, Harley's are made for the stuipdly long open roads with some slight bends in them. - Hence why i too would probably tour the US on one as well.

They don't suit New Zealand Roads that well but are not quite as bad as one would think. - I know from a good source (slightly bias towards sports bikes as well), that the Nightrod (or whatever it is the one with slightly high peg's) actually handles pretty good, considering all things.

Exactly the point I'm trying to make. Harley Davidson isn't just one bike, it's a brand of bike, so there's god-alone-knows-how-many-variations of them. Some will be better than others on NZ roads like the Nightrod or whatever it is, and I mean the Buells are HD and they'd be crazily great on most of our roads from what I've learnt about them.

Your friend appears to be a "poser", He's not opening his eye's and seeing the true meaning of riding, instead he's riding for the ideal of it. - Getting chicks *ahem* looking cool.

Take him on a ride tho a nice twisty, smooth road and tell him to relax and enjoy. - He will either love it and never complain again. Or continue to complain.
Hell at least he doesn't jump on the bike and go screaming round corners without any sense of limitations of the bike and end's up on his arse. Like many young riders of this era.
(I may be wrong, Just how i see it).

He's also riding a GN... As a chick and a biker, I'd just assume that he's on it only as a commuter anyway and wouldn't look again at him unless he was trying to do something ballsy. GNs are more commuter style. They're not really brilliant for open roads, so if you want him to be a big tough biker, get him to try out some others perhaps, that will be better for riding out on some of the twisties.

P.s Let's not turn this into a Harley bashing thread.

But we're not, we're discussing the pros and cons of... I think bashing was assumed but that's kinda just disappeared.

offrd
6th March 2008, 16:25
never had a fault with my hyobag in the two years ive owned it, thats communting daily and several 400km+ road trips, so i fail to see how you have substantiated your post.

Build quality...

I did not say it would not do your 400k+ road trips......

Gubb
6th March 2008, 16:35
Build quality...

I did not say it would not do your 400k+ road trips......

Not had one single issue with mine yet. Have you ever owned one? Or just get kicks out of insulting things you don't properly understand.

McDuck
6th March 2008, 16:57
The thing i dont like about HDs is the people who ride them. 60% of the fucking wankers on bikes are on HDs.

just quietly i wouldnt mind a HD at some point, just not now.

offrd
6th March 2008, 17:19
Not had one single issue with mine yet. Have you ever owned one? Or just get kicks out of insulting things you don't properly understand.

OK...

The homosungs with shit factory frame welds that have been poorly cleaned up and have rust coming from the poor paint finish around the welds is no issue..... I

No i dont own one and never ever would.

Deviant Esq
6th March 2008, 18:10
Plenty of bikers I know would have a Harley in their stable if money were no object - one of those bikes that if you could easily have more than one bike, you'd have a Harley as one of them. I'd rock a Harley if money were no object and I could have my other toys (sportsbikes, dirt bikes, guitars, rifles, crossbow, own golf course, Porsche 911, ski resort, own Hawaiian island... :shifty:). Nothing quite like a Harley, like it or not, they're iconic.

Livvy
6th March 2008, 18:16
Plenty of bikers I know would have a Harley in their stable if money were no object - one of those bikes that if you could easily have more than one bike, you'd have a Harley as one of them. I'd rock a Harley if money were no object and I could have my other toys (sportsbikes, dirt bikes, guitars, rifles, crossbow, own golf course, Porsche 911, ski resort, own Hawaiian island... :shifty:). Nothing quite like a Harley, like it or not, they're iconic.
Too true. And besides, if Harleys were as bad as people keep saying they were, they wouldn't be so famous, or as sought after as they are...

Gubb
6th March 2008, 18:17
OK...

The homosungs with shit factory frame welds that have been poorly cleaned up and have rust coming from the poor paint finish around the welds is no issue..... I

No such issue on my bike, or my mates, or any bike that i've seen yet.

offrd
6th March 2008, 18:23
No such issue on my bike, or my mates, or any bike that i've seen yet.

Well hopefully it was just the silver framed red batch that got the stink run then,:doh: I see yours has a black frame.

Honestly i would not have said anything against them if i did not have any reason to.....

I see yours is your first bike, Good on ya!

Best thing is you are out there doing it!

Deviant Esq
6th March 2008, 18:23
Too true. And besides, if Harleys were as bad as people keep saying they were, they wouldn't be so famous, or as sought after as they are...
:yes:

It's all too easy to jump on the bandwagon and harp on about them being crappy handlers or unreliable or agricultural, but there are few motorcycle brands that have the same cult following as they do - the only other that springs to mind immediately is Ducati.

I was surprised at the number of Harley-knocking threads in here when I joined up, but I laughed at them too until my knowledge of bikes in general improved and I was able to see them in a different light. Too often they're compared to bikes they're nothing like and not in competition with - what's the point of that?

Livvy
6th March 2008, 18:35
:yes:

It's all too easy to jump on the bandwagon and harp on about them being crappy handlers or unreliable or agricultural, but there are few motorcycle brands that have the same cult following as they do - the only other that springs to mind immediately is Ducati.

I was surprised at the number of Harley-knocking threads in here when I joined up, but I laughed at them too until my knowledge of bikes in general improved and I was able to see them in a different light. Too often they're compared to bikes they're nothing like and not in competition with - what's the point of that?
I was a bit like that - the people I knew when I first really got into bikes (only a year ago!) do down talk bike brands, but after I'd gotten over the whole "ohmigoodness, they've been riding bikes for five years, they must know what they're talking about" thing and had heard one or other of them mention and bitch about every brand, I realised, they're basically being bikist... Like racist...

So I pulled my head in. I know Harley riders, sports bike riders, dirt bikers... All of them are good when used right!

NighthawkNZ
6th March 2008, 18:45

but we do... we do... sigh :(

I some how dont think that would help...

yeah but have you tried it...

homosungs are chiness??? theya are Korean

nothing wrong with harleys [hell, i want one as well!] but they dont make 250s, unless he hunts out an old aermacchi.

they don't make them that small as the don't have enough power to move all that chrome and steel

One word - Poser.

sounds it

They sold the image... not the technology of the bike...

JimO
6th March 2008, 19:13
They sold the image... not the technology of the bike...

what he said

Livvy
6th March 2008, 19:28
what he said
Okay, okay. But all the same, image isn't everything - like you don't judge a book by it's cover. Sweet, yep, you don't like them. I'm not crazy for them either. But they do great where they're designed to run.

Tank
6th March 2008, 19:44
The thing i dont like about HDs is the people who ride them. 60% of the fucking wankers on bikes are on HDs.

just quietly i wouldnt mind a HD at some point, just not now.

And how many of the 60% of HD riders that you are bagging have you sat down and chatted to before coming to the judgement that they are wankers ?

AllanB
6th March 2008, 19:44
Sorry to get back on topic.....but....

how old is the 'new' GN? - over or under one year?

If under I'd expect a free replacement battery and frankly under the consumers act she should get it.

Over a year - hmm with batteries shit does sometimes happen. Unless its a charging issue (over) then it will shit the next one and warranty city (plus payment for the first one).

Bottom line - she should have purchased a HONDA.

Also feel free to post pictures of her zipping along into a cool breeze in that tight little shirt...............

All
6th March 2008, 21:07
Plenty of bikers I know would have a Harley in their stable if money were no object - one of those bikes that if you could easily have more than one bike, you'd have a Harley as one of them. I'd rock a Harley if money were no object and I could have my other toys (sportsbikes, dirt bikes, guitars, rifles, crossbow, own golf course, Porsche 911, ski resort, own Hawaiian island... :shifty:). Nothing quite like a Harley, like it or not, they're iconic.Actually, that's a good point. A Harley sure as hell would never be my first choice, but if I had money pouring out my ears, I'd probably get a V-rod. Maybe a chopper, too. :)

Forest
6th March 2008, 21:16
and Kanny's Volty still travels the country, seal, gravel n tracks.
90's Gn engine has purred like a kitten ever since we got it last year with 13500km on it. It's up to 23000km now and just showing signs of a wearing cam chain.
Can't understand why these things never took off in NZ.:scratch:

I did over 20,000 km on a Volty and loved it. Even took it around the Grand Challenge.

I'm pretty sure they were available new for less than $3,000 at one point. Which was awesome value for money.

McDuck
6th March 2008, 21:30
And how many of the 60% of HD riders that you are bagging have you sat down and chatted to before coming to the judgement that they are wankers ?

Re read my post. I did not say that 60% of harley riders are wankers i said that 60% of wankers that i have met ride harleys.

Given the number is not more than a few dozz total but there seems to be a stand out percentage of the wanker population riding them.

Oh and dont get me wrong i have met, had the crap scared out of me by harley riders who have turned out to be real nice guys. Scary looking but nice.

McDuck
6th March 2008, 21:41
And quite a few to. Would way outnumber the wankers.

breakaway
6th March 2008, 22:35
One word - Poser.

On a GN? I don't think so ;)

Livvy
6th March 2008, 22:52
On a GN? I don't think so ;)
Pretty much... GN's aren't exactly the "flashiest" or "showiest" of bikes! :laugh:

McDuck
7th March 2008, 05:36
Pretty much... GN's aren't exactly the "flashiest" or "showiest" of bikes! :laugh:

He only got it so he can get his licence.

sunhuntin
7th March 2008, 10:05
just had a thought, ducky... it might not be the battery. what broke the camels back, as far as my ginny was concerned, was the regulator [i think] went, which meant the battery wasnt holding the charge. this resulted in my being late for work several times. :crazy:

McDuck
7th March 2008, 14:21
just had a thought, ducky... it might not be the battery. what broke the camels back, as far as my ginny was concerned, was the regulator [i think] went, which meant the battery wasnt holding the charge. this resulted in my being late for work several times. :crazy:

I kind of stopped really trying t help fix it when he said 'hell no i wouldnt acknowledge a japper like a katana'

Tank
7th March 2008, 14:27
'hell no i would acknowledge a japper like a katana'

So does that mean he would or would not acknowledge one?

[confused]

McDuck
7th March 2008, 14:29
He wouldnt.

Infact he would not acnolage anything non american.

Tank
7th March 2008, 14:38
He wouldnt.

Infact he would not acnolage anything non american.

awwww bless.

Hes sick of Japanese reliability - so hes going American.

:clap::clap:

McDuck
7th March 2008, 14:52
awwww bless.

Hes sick of Japanese reliability - so hes going American.

:clap::clap:

If i could bling that i would.

Livvy
7th March 2008, 23:08
He only got it so he can get his licence.
Yeah mate, realised that, I was meaning he can't really be being a poser on a GN because they aren't flashy and he must realise that.

Deviant
9th March 2008, 23:10
I could sit my restricted now and then my full in 3 months, and sell my GN, but I want to do my car restricted as well, so I'm waiting 'til I've had some practice driving in traffic so I can do them both and then work towards my full license for both car and bike by early-mid winter.

Bikes are more fun, but when it rains and the traffic is all backed up, I'd rather sit in a car with a heater and an Ipod having a fag and a drink.

EDIT: Haven't really had any issues with my GN- I've been thrashing it too. One crash, $1380 repairs (car driver's fault, his insurance), one breakdown due to a dirty spark plug and not knowing how to set my reserve switch correctly, and a few times forgetting to fill up then having to switch to reserve tank while flying along the motorway.

I've ridden it almost daily for 6 months, all day every day that is nice, two trips from Auckland to Bay of Islands and back, the scenic route via Mangawhai Heads, a couple of trips to Whangaparoa and Wenderholm, daily commute from city to North Shore and back.

Never had a service yet, the repair job should have covered any need for that I would assume, but will get it done prior to WOF in two weeks.