PDA

View Full Version : Oscarnz's Solo adventure around East Cape

oscarnz
6th March 2008, 08:20
Well decided to take a week off work and head up the East Coast. Just me, my bike and the open road.

Day 1 - Sunday 2nd March

Headed off from Palmerston North about 10ish, weather was great, not too hot, had a nice cruisy ride via State Highway 50 to Napier. Stayed the night in Napier with a friend.

Day 2 - Monday 3rd March

Was up, packed and ready to go by 8.40, weather forecast was not looking the best for the next desination of Gisborne.
Headed off the sky got darker, about 20kms out of Napier, I had to stop and put on my rain suit, as the rain was started to set in.
Was a very wet trip until about 10kms out of Gisborne where the sun started to shine. Phew I thought finally. Found somewhere to stay, when and found a cafe for lunch, and the rain started, and didnt stop for the rest of the day and night it fell down.

Day 3 - Tuesday 4th March

Laid in bed listening to the rain, wondering if I should stay in Gisborne another night, and see if the rain would clear. Thought bugger it, not going to let the rain upset my plans.
So got organised and headed off from Gisborne at 9.30am. Desintation Opotiki via the coast up around the top of East Cape.
Was a very slow trip due to visability and rain. Was about 10kms out of Ruatoria (approx 11.15am), when I came across some road works, slowed down to 30kms, when I saw the sign, then saw the smooth, gravel, yukky road in front of me, changed down another gear, just before I hit the gravel, next minute I hear the truck behind me applied his brakes fast, and I was hit from behind by a Logging Truck.
Somehow I managed to keep the bike upright, and got over to the left hand side of road, where I dropped the bike.
Got off my bike, and looked at the rear end.............mmmm not much left in tacked. Took off my helmet, truck driver had stopped in front of me, another logging truck (his mate) stopped behind, as well as a guy in a car.
I couldnt help but mouth off at the driver, probably due to shock.:crybaby:

Picked up the bike and assessed the damage, rear end totally smashed, front brake lever broken off, back brake pedal abit bent.
Decided due to the short distance (about 10kms) to Ruatoria, that as long as my back brake still worked, and bike started, would ride slowly in Ruatoria, and take things from there.
Told the Truck driver that I would meet him at the Police station as we needed to report it etc. He was happy for this.
So fired up the bike, good girl she is as started straight away. Made sure the back brakes were working, and headed into town. Had one Logging Truck in front of me, and the guy in his car, and the other Logging Truck behind me.

After riding the short distance, decided that the bike was not in good shape at all, so holiday was ending rather short. :oi-grr:
Found the Police station, and couldnt ask for more, they were the most friendlyist people you could ever meet. :niceone:
Even before I had finished my statement, they had a ride sorted for me back to Gisborne, and had organised for my bike to picked up the next morning and delivered also to Gisborne.

Truck driver got ticketed for following too close. He had followed me for about 30kms or more, so knew that I was taking it easy due to the really bad conditions.

I got a ride back to Gisborne with one of the Highway Patrol guys, awesome guy, ex MOT bike rider as well. Had an interesting trip back with him, pulled up someone for speeding, had to deal with a car in a drain.

Found a motel for the night, my partner Paul came up from Palmerston North, picked up a friends van from Napier, and came up and got me and my bike yesterday. We left bike in Napier, and came home. Going back to get bike on Sunday.

On further assessment of the bike, she is bent like a banana (or so I am told), could possibly be written off.

I am fine, dont have a scratch on me, did have abit of a sore neck the first night, but all good now. Just really pissed off, but hey they still make bikes so I am told.

Has not put me off going back to finish what I started, but will definately only be going in the sunshine.

NZsarge
6th March 2008, 08:32
:gob:Geez girl, that sucks big time!! Glad you're ok though, look after your neck but, y'never know, my brother is still dealing with an injury from a Jet ski accident from the beginning of last year.
Good opportunity for an upgrade eh..

86GSXR
6th March 2008, 08:35
Fark, you were lucky! Getting hit by a truck could have been a hell of a lot worse. Glad you're OK :yes: There are easier ways to get a new bike tho :shit:

NZsarge
6th March 2008, 08:36
By the way i'm more than happy to pick your bike up from napier and drop it off for ya if you have any hassles with getting it back home.

oscarnz
6th March 2008, 08:37
By the way i'm more than happy to pick your bike up from napier and drop it off for ya if you have any hassles with getting it back home.

Thanks for the offer, but have got a van, so Pauly and I will head up on Sunday and get it.

oscarnz
6th March 2008, 08:39
Some pics of the rear end, not the best as only took them when it was in the van.

oscarnz
6th March 2008, 08:41
Fark, you were lucky! Getting hit by a truck could have been a hell of a lot worse. Glad you're OK :yes: There are easier ways to get a new bike tho :shit:

Yes very lucky, if I hadnt have kept it upright, would have been a different story. Have no idea how I did tho.

Yeah I know there are easier ways of getting a new bike, just now need to wait for insurance to make a decesion.

NZsarge
6th March 2008, 08:41
Thanks for the offer, but have got a van, so Pauly and I will head up on Sunday and get it.

Sweet as, milk it for a bit and get Paul to pamper you for a while :devil2:
"ohh ahh, my neck is a bit stiff, could you massage my neck for me?" :lol:

NZsarge
6th March 2008, 08:45
Some pics of the rear end, not the best as only took them when it was in the van.

Yeah, looks a bit bitter and twisted, does'nt take much to write a bike off these days...

oscarnz
6th March 2008, 08:48
Sweet as, milk it for a bit and get Paul to pamper you for a while :devil2:
"ohh ahh, my neck is a bit stiff, could you massage my neck for me?" :lol:

He has been wonderful :yes:

oscarnz
6th March 2008, 08:49
Yeah, looks a bit bitter and twisted, does'nt take much to write a bike off these days...

Yeah but now just the bullshit with the insurance company to sort. You know what its like. :whistle:

NZsarge
6th March 2008, 08:58
Yeah but now just the bullshit with the insurance company to sort. You know what its like. :whistle:

Indeed I do but I must say they were all good, just a shitty time of year to put in a claim in my instance...

chanceyy
6th March 2008, 19:56
Well honey when I get a text asking wot time do you finish work I got something to tell you .. I KNEW there was something wrong .. blardy glad you are ok girl & have to agree there are better ways to get a new bike :(

yod
6th March 2008, 20:08
not good news mate but sounds like you handled it well:niceone: bit of an adventure at any rate! main thing is you weren't hurt, bloody truckies are notorious for following too close :oi-grr:

hope the insurance goes smoothly for you

HornetBoy
6th March 2008, 20:15
Blardy hell eh! tis amazing that you kept your bike upright after being hit by it.

whats next? repair it? or new bike?

too be honest it actually looks pretty well off considering it was hit by a logging truck,but thats just from the pictures

oscarnz
6th March 2008, 20:18
Blardy hell eh! tis amazing that you kept your bike upright after being hit by it.

whats next? repair it? or new bike?

too be honest it actually looks pretty well off considering it was hit by a logging truck,but thats just from the pictures

Yeah still not sure how I kept it upright.

Not sure what is next, could possible be written off as its bent like a banana, but wont know till next week. Insurance company have rung today, so will just have to wait now and see what they say

HornetBoy
6th March 2008, 20:20
Yeah still not sure how I kept it upright.

Not sure what is next, could possible be written off as its bent like a banana, but wont know till next week. Insurance company have rung today, so will just have to wait now and see what they say

o ok,yea just find it hard to imagine .....that would've been a scary situation i bet

Horse
6th March 2008, 20:25
Fark! Glad to hear you're okay.

oscarnz
6th March 2008, 20:25
very scary, but hasnt put me off!!

Meanie
6th March 2008, 20:26
Shit mate someone was looking after you, not too many can boast they got up and walked away after a logging truch hit them
Pleased your ok and what an adventure
Hopefully the insurance doesnt give you any problems
Makes you wonder why these truck drivers get so dam close when they know they cant stop in a hurry
How did the truck driver react.

oscarnz
6th March 2008, 20:29
Shit mate someone was looking after you, not too many can boast they got up and walked away after a logging truch hit them
Pleased your ok and what an adventure
Hopefully the insurance doesnt give you any problems
Makes you wonder why these truck drivers get so dam close when they know they cant stop in a hurry
How did the truck driver react.

Got that right!!
Insurance so far have been good, am going up to Napier to get bike on Sunday, then they will assess it. They have rung today to sort when and where all ready, so thats good.

Truck driver to be honest was a wanker!! Cops were only going to give him a warning, but then after he left the station they changed their mind and ticketed him for following too close.

tri boy
6th March 2008, 20:30
very scary, but hasnt put me off!!

Thats the spirit.:2thumbsup
Tis great that you came out of it unscathed. As you said, bikes are still available.
Next bike you get, put one of those "Mack" truck bulldogs on the front guard, and stare down those logging trucks.:2guns:

Meanie
6th March 2008, 20:33
they changed their mind and ticketed him for following too close.

Good job i,d say, there are some real tossers driving trucks out there, some good ones too though.

cowboyz
6th March 2008, 21:49
shocker. dont let them away lightly. his insurance should be buying you a new bike. good to see you writing about it. Not alot you could have done to avoid that one me thinks.

Bonez
7th March 2008, 05:15
No good at all oscarnz. Good to see you came out unscathed. The bike, well it can be replaced you can't.

Back in the saddle as soon as you can, as it were.

DougieNZ
7th March 2008, 05:50
Missed you by a day coming the other way. Glad you were alright. Geez if you had have gone down, anything could have happened.

One of the biggest tragedys is that the best parts of the road were still to come! I hope you will revisit it when the bike is fixed... it is one of the best raods in the NI.

GSVR
7th March 2008, 07:06
Yep you certainly were lucky you kept the bike upright. Doesn't bear thinking about what might have happend if you hadn't.

Something you wont forget in a hurry.

Glad your alright and hope your not bikeless for too long.

chanceyy
7th March 2008, 07:12
hey babe .. since the purple pumkin eater is no more .. will the next bike get the special paint job ??

oscarnz
7th March 2008, 07:36
Missed you by a day coming the other way. Glad you were alright. Geez if you had have gone down, anything could have happened.

One of the biggest tragedys is that the best parts of the road were still to come! I hope you will revisit it when the bike is fixed... it is one of the best raods in the NI.

I am definately going back up there to do it again, even tho it was raining for most of it, the roads are great. Great views also.

Monie
7th March 2008, 07:38
am pleased you are ok . this is one of those monents you can say
BUGGER ME

oscarnz
7th March 2008, 07:39
hey babe .. since the purple pumkin eater is no more .. will the next bike get the special paint job ??

Lets just say if I end up getting another bike, which is highly likely. Yes it will have purple on it :whistle:, not sure about the full paint job as depends on the $$$ the insurance payout.

banditrider
7th March 2008, 19:25
Holy crap, when you have an adventure you make it a dosey! A real shame to have your big trip runined by someone else. Glad you walked away from it in good shape. Hope you're not bikeless for too long - you definitely need to finish the cape off, it's a great ride.

Storm
7th March 2008, 19:57
Blardy hell that no good. Hope your body isnt too abused and Paul hasnt dissapeared with a couple of mates carrying crowbars muttering about truckies!!
Hopefully we'll see your "I got a new bike" thread up in the not too distant future.
Oh, and nip into the Lotto shop for this week, your lucks definitly in:D

Meanie
7th March 2008, 23:16
Blardy hell that no good. Hope your body isnt too abused and Paul hasnt dissapeared with a couple of mates carrying crowbars muttering about truckies!!
Hopefully we'll see your "I got a new bike" thread up in the not too distant future.

Geeez who are you ? I seem to remember someone going by that name but havnt seen or heard from him for so long, i thought hed done a runner.........
How is it mate

Storm
7th March 2008, 23:55
Thats cos he's been beavering away at work, or looking after his little baby.
(That and I dont have the money to joy ride around the show friday nights anymore:( )

oscarnz
8th March 2008, 14:01

No body is pretty good, just have abit of a sore neck.
Lets just say that Paul did ask how much was left of the driver for him:whistle:

yeah should know early this week as to what the insurance company decide.

Yip am off to get lotto.