PDA

View Full Version : Acquiring the necessary skills to become a champion!

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 12:44
Alrighty, so we've had our first BBOB Bucket Racing session and we all had a blast! Unfortunately I see that I there is some very serious competition so I had a brain flash, which caused me to collapse.
Although I know how to ride, I am no speed demon and I dont really have to much of an idea when it comes to lines etc.... Apparently to get round the corners faster and more smoothly I should be leaning off the bike. I know this true but I really have no idea how to do this without looking like a clown in a parade..... Im not so sure that I should be learning this of my poor partner either as I may reduce him to tears with nasty names SO I was thinking and again I collapsed. When I woke up I thought, hey why not see if there is someone neutral who would be willing to take a few minutes out at the racing to give us ladies/newbies some tips and maybe watch us and tell us what we're doing wrong and how we can be better etc....

What do you ladies think?

jrandom
6th March 2008, 12:49
I think you need to get your little Welly-based arse up to Taupo for a MotoTT day (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=68828) and take advantage of the on-track coaching services of Shaun Harris and the Linesmen (tm) (fuck, wouldn't that be a great name for a rock band) ASAP.

:niceone:

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 12:50
I think you need to get your little Welly-based arse up to Taupo for a MotoTT day (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=68828) and take advantage of the on-track coaching services of Shaun Harris and the Linesmen (tm) (fuck, wouldn't that be a great name for a rock band) ASAP.

:niceone:

I wish! I just dont have the $$ for that!!

Trudes
6th March 2008, 12:51
Sounds like a wicked idea Hels:clap:. I've read what you should do and have tried a few times (moving bum to side of seat etc) but then feel like I don't have enough speed on to maintain such a lean as the bike then dives in.... so practice is needed and someone who knows what they're on about would help to give tips. Bring it.:scooter:

jrandom
6th March 2008, 12:52
I wish! I just dont have the $$ for that!!

Then you'll just have to flutter your eyelids at someone who can learn you the requisite learns, I guess.

Or advertise your fine, fine booty on www.newzealandgirls.co.nz and spend the proceeds on learning racecraft.

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 12:53
Sounds like a wicked idea Hels:clap:. I've read what you should do and have tried a few times (moving bum to side of seat etc) but then feel like I don't have enough speed on to maintain such a lean as the bike then dives in.... so practice is needed and someone who knows what they're on about would help to give tips. Bring it.:scooter:

Yeah, im the same. I just dont really "get it" until I do it and I really dont have the confidence to know if im doing it right or not....

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 12:55
Then you'll just have to flutter your eyelids at someone who can learn you the requisite learns, I guess.

Or advertise your fine, fine booty on www.newzealandgirls.co.nz and spend the proceeds on learning racecraft.

LMFAO! You trying to ask me out or something?! :p But yeah, I guess you're right, I have a great arse :laugh:

There are some excellent riders at the Welly buckets and im sure one of them wont mind helping us poor wee hopeless lil chickies out....

jrandom
6th March 2008, 12:58
I've read what you should do and have tried a few times (moving bum to side of seat etc) but then feel like I don't have enough speed on to maintain such a lean as the bike then dives in...

So whack some throttle on!

Congratulations; you just independently discovered the fact that weight transfer allows you to go around corners faster.

:banana:

jrandom
6th March 2008, 12:59
LMFAO! You trying to ask me out or something?! :p

As a matter of fact, I wasn't, but hey, if you're keen...

Number One
6th March 2008, 13:05
What do you ladies think?

Great idea Hels...my man is quite the mover on the bike so I have just watched him and he gives me tips...but I am still quite still on the bike generally.

Although I actually had to lean off into the inside as the Monsters Inq bucket needs skinnier tyres...which we'll have on for the next round :banana:

You'll notice in one of the shots Kendog took of me I am not leaned over but am riding right on the edge of the tread.

I found that I couldn't go round that top hairpin very fast (or tight) unless I switched my weight to the inside...felt a bit queer and prolly wasn't 'quite right' but it did allow me to have the bike a bit more upright as I went round which allowed me to get on the gas and ping out of it a bit quicker.

Hang on why am I helping the opposition. NAH Hels - leaning in and moving your arse on the seat is only for wankers and it won't help you go faster at all....much safer if you just sit tight :buggerd:

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 13:07
Seriously, Sully's the man! He doesn't push slow riders to start leaning off and stuff he knows what it feels like when your a learner, and evendually over time he will teach you girls too lean off.

Sully is the man for the job! - Nice,calm and postive!.

Just ask nasty and Number one.

P.s Hels you were running out of tread :D - What's a good thing hehe!
Sorry for trying to push you in to leaning the fuck off the bike like a monkey!

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 13:08
Hang on why am I helping the opposition. NAH Hels - leaning in and moving your arse on the seat is only for wankers and it won't help you go faster at all....much safer if you just sit tight :buggerd:

Ah, lets face it, this is supposed to be fun and we're all mates. At the end of the day it'll be more fun when we can all do it confidently and actually compete against each other competatively! :D

Number One
6th March 2008, 13:10
Ah, lets face it, this is supposed to be fun and we're all mates. At the end of the day it'll be more fun when we can all do it confidently and actually compete against each other competatively! :D

I agree!!! I look forward to some good ding dongs wif you ladies...so long as we all come off in one piece and can sit round laughing and have a beer after I'm happy :niceone:

Gosh it was sooo much fun - my fav topic at the mo actually. Sully just laffs at me and my exhuberance over it all :laugh:

Number One
6th March 2008, 13:19
Seriously, Sully's the man!

he sure is:love::love:....sigh

Seriously though he is a great teacher and is wickedly encouraging and very patient.

slimjim
6th March 2008, 13:43
[QUOTE=Str8 Jacket;1461509]Ah, lets face it, this is supposed to be fun and we're all mates.

:innocent: aaaa Hel's , you spend a bit more track time, your'll find it, comes with the time and time blatting around with other rider's an sorry , yup your'll need a job :shutup: that best allow's midweek practice track riding as it will all heighten your enjoyment, to this legal road racing :shit: might have to tell your mate he'll have to get a better paying job, :innocent:

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 13:46
:innocent: aaaa Hel's , you spend a bit more track time, your'll find it, comes with the time and time blatting around with other rider's an sorry , yup your'll need a job :shutup: that best allow's midweek practice track riding as it will all heighten your enjoyment, to this legal road racing :shit: might have to tell your mate he'll have to get a better paying job, :innocent:

Yeah I know. But no matter how much time I spend on the track I wont be sure if I can improve etc... :p
Also maybe I could just take up a part time job and you could sponsor me? :D
My man does so much for me already!!

Number One
6th March 2008, 13:46
Soo there's a slimjim and a fatjim?! WOW :laugh:

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 13:51
Agreed - Don't push your self too fast or else your just get pissed off at yourself at being too slow.

Its a slow learning process and you probabaly won't be anywhere near the mid-pack guys for a weee while. Espically at Slipways - Its a bit of a complex track, too get really fast at. - Although at first glance it looks easy.
Some people learn faster, some people learn slower.

You have the right idea!, A mentor helps heaps!

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 13:53
Although at first glance it looks easy.
Some people learn faster, some people learn slower.

You have the right idea!, A mentor helps heaps!

Hell no it doesnt! I reckon there is more skill in getting a bike around that track faster than say Manfeild. Well maybe not more skill, but its a different skill and it requires alot of practice to get it right!

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 13:55
Hell no it doesnt! I reckon there is more skill in getting a bike around that track faster than say Manfeild. Well maybe not more skill, but its a different skill and it requires alot of practice to get it right!

Indeed, So don't push your self too much!.

Have a go on Luke's RG50 next time your out there (Is your a going to be ready? )
Its a really kewl bike! - Actually teach's you heaps because of its power.

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 13:57
Indeed, So don't push your self too much!.

Have a go on Luke's RG50 next time your out there (Is your a going to be ready? )
Its a really kewl bike!

Ive ridden Lukes RG50 and I prefer Ola's Honda 100! Nah, the A wont be ready before the end of the month. Im a bit busy to get in topuch with Dave and get it round there.... To be honest the A needs alot of little things done to it before I'd take her on the track. I need different footpegs for one with the amount of times I was scraping my boots last weekend!

Number One
6th March 2008, 14:02
amount of times I was scraping my boots last weekend!

Faaark yeah! Motocross boots are a bitch to ride in....scuffed them up a bit but seems getting racing boots in my size is just too hard for anyone, no one brings em in apparently. didn't think my feet that small!

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 14:03
Faaark yeah! Motocross boots are a bitch to ride in....scuffed them up a bit but seems getting racing boots in my size is just too hard for anyone, no one brings em in apparently. didn't think my feet that small!

Im not sure, but maybe by leaning off the bike we wont scrape our boots quite so much? Anyone?

deanohit
6th March 2008, 14:04
Im not sure, but maybe by leaning off the bike we wont scrape our boots quite so much? Anyone?

Thats right, because the bike is more upright, your pegs are higher off the ground

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 14:05
Thats right, because the bike is more upright, your pegs are higher off the ground

I guees it aint rocket science after all, lol! :D

Number One
6th March 2008, 14:05

I had to move my foot on the peg too so that my toes were on the peg and my heels were tucked up and in. But leaning inside bike definately helped...those motocross boots have to go...they are just tooo damn big and clunky - had trouble changing gears too - not really made for fine foot movements those boots

Number One
6th March 2008, 14:06

took ya long enough - I've seen you in here just observing - ya perve :dodge:

deanohit
6th March 2008, 14:07
I guees it aint rocket science after all, lol! :D

You calling me stupid? ;)

deanohit
6th March 2008, 14:08
took ya long enough - I've seen you in here just observing - ya perve :dodge:
Well c'mon, the bucket forum seems to be the place to be for laughs!

And I'm jealous of all you cool bucket racers. :bye:

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 14:08
You calling me stupid? ;)

No. Im calling myself stupid!

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 14:10
The typical road rider, hang's there feet off alot. If you haven't noticed before.

If you have followed anyone who has been on the track a few times, your notice that they re postion there feet so they are still pretty close to the control's but there toe's are no where near the ground when leaning it over.

But when you start running out of tyre (leaning it over too far... crashing) your soon learn too lean off.

Number One
6th March 2008, 14:10
And I'm jealous of all you cool bucket racers. :bye:

awww - it's ok if you ever down here we let you come and play.

And yes no one takes themselves TOOOOO seriously in buckets - it definately the most enjoyable bike racing atmosphere and crowd I've witnessed.

ROCK ON PEEPS :Punk:

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 14:12
The typical road rider, hang's there feet off alot. If you haven't noticed before.

If you have followed anyone who has been on the track a few times, your notice that they re postion there feet so they are still pretty close to the control's but there toe's are no where near the ground when leaning it over.

But when you start running out of tyre (leaning it over too far... crashing) your soon learn too lean off.

Yeah.... I found that I was trying to keep my toes and ankles in, quite close to the bike and also found that the bike tried tipping in very fast when I leant it to far without leaning of. A bit of gas on smoothly did seem to help and straighten up the bike a bit....

deanohit
6th March 2008, 14:13
And yes no one takes themselves TOOOOO seriously in buckets
I dunno, go and look at Kendogs pics again, theres some pretty determined looking racers there! :angry:
:clap:

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 14:16
Here's a great example of how leaning off your bike helps a pile.
(look at the first photo)

Now lookie here. Look at 50 (Moi) Notice how i am not leant off (or shoving my shoulder or weight) towards the inner side, yet 199 Is going just as fast yet is no where near running of her tyre.
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/4646/leanangleoa1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

p.s The bike will naturally want to go in a straight line when applying the gas.

Number One
6th March 2008, 14:19
A bit of gas on smoothly did seem to help and straighten up the bike a bit....

And you have picked another gem instinctively!:woohoo: Craig says throttle is your friend, think you getting a bit loose, on smooth with the throttle. Told me too that you won't loose the front if you on the gas smooth....off the gas much more likely

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 14:19
Here's a great example of how leaning off your bike helps a pile.
(look at the first photo)

Now lookie here. Look at 50 (Moi) Notice how i am not leant off (or shoving my shoulder or weight) towards the inner side, yet 199 Is going just as fast yet is no where near running of her tyre.

Yep and then she runs you over.... I was out picking bike up off the track that day and boy was she laughing about running you over!!
Jas is doing really well. If she lived in wellys I would grab here and get her to help me out!

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 14:26
And you have picked another gem instinctively!:woohoo: Craig says throttle is your friend, think you getting a bit loose, on smooth with the throttle. Told me too that you won't loose the front if you on the gas smooth....off the gas much more likely

If you have ever done much dirt bike riding, your know this X a million and a half!

Yeah yeah, i like been run over its a fettish of mine! (Or maybe someone doesn't like me) - 3 times and counting (almost 4 at the buckets!)

Number One
6th March 2008, 14:29
If you have ever done much dirt bike riding, your know this X a million and a half!

mmmhhhmmmm! Took a while for my brain to accept and compute how that those skills do translate to all my other riding AND even to buckets!

FROSTY
6th March 2008, 14:33
Start out by doing two simple exersizes. 1)wherever possible move your feet so the balls of your feet are on the pegs.
2) Shift your rear end over so only one bum cheek is on the seat.

Do this as smoothly as possible.

As well as this try taking wider entry lines
By this -turning right into a corner figure out where on the track you are positioned . Now next lap try moving 300mm to the LEFT before you turn in.

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 14:34
Great thing about dirt riding is your always on the edge of traction and you learn to relax and not get scared/frighten by sliding wheels ( i was terrified the first 10 times i went dirt bike riding even after riding my Bike on the road for months). It basically teaches you to htfu and relax when something goes wrong. - Naturally this is quite hard to learn!

FROSTY
6th March 2008, 14:37
only trouble is qualman on a bucket at a tight ,slow track the line between grip and crash can be pretty fine

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 14:40
only trouble is qualman on a bucket at a tight ,slow track the line between grip and crash can be pretty fine

For sure ( I crashed 4 times the other day), I mean simply when something starts going wrong most people get scared and over react and crash when maybe they could of saved it. It comes with time i guess!

Im not refering to Bucket racing and dirt bike riding at all . Im just saying when something goes wrong you get frighten but however if you have ridden a dirt bike your pretty much used too it....

You know what i mean!

Anywho back on to the subject.

Pratice pratice pratice = Your friend.

Number One
6th March 2008, 14:44
Great thing about dirt riding is your always on the edge of traction and you learn to relax and not get scared/frighten by sliding wheels ( i was terrified the first 10 times i went dirt bike riding even after riding my Bike on the road for months). It basically teaches you to htfu and relax when something goes wrong. - Naturally this is quite hard to learn!

I remember when Sully took me riding in sand for the first time very much htfu, relax and go with it. Took my mind a while to get used to holding it at full throttle and just going with the flow but once I did get it, it was much more fun and felt quite cool, it's surprising how much feedback you can learn to read and adjust to too, when you are relaxed.

Must say I was amazed with the amount of feedback on our bucket. You get heaps of it yet the bars are so free. I just loved how you could almost feel the tyre gripping and skipping and the brakes on that thing are awesome too and it seems to let you get away with heaps too!

When I jumped back on the SV I noticed it felt like it just wanted to steer itself whereas the bucket just lets you do anything and doesn't resist anything either :msn-wink::laugh: gosh I can't wait to have another go....must follow-up with babysitter. :niceone:

F5 Dave
6th March 2008, 16:41
The no1 big thing IMO is the key to feeling confident with committing to corners and leaning & or hanging off the amount you need to/feel confident with (that in itself is preference, I like to hang off, but have met people as fast that don't, some bikes that works ok) but back to the most important thing is;
To look where you want to go.

People throw this comment around but it is the most common impediment to riding well. It can take quite a mental exercise to train oneself to look smoothly around a corner as if ones was a greyhound with it's eyes on a rather fast rabbit rather than what many do as if following a rabbit that is about to get bitten.

On a tight track this may mean that on some corners you are looking at almost 90 degrees & always the horizon rather than at the ground. Sounds extreme but look at the photo thread & check out Fishys eyes & earlier in the corner my head position. click here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=68538)

This is the sort of thing to practise walking home from work or wherever & then transfer it onto the bike. Use peripheral vision to see the track ahead of you.

Further the use of reference points helps for your eyes to make this progression. If you don't know what the track looks like you can get lost.

I'm sure if we get Bayden to organise it we could get a few of the top runners to be assigned to a novice for a track session so they could all follow someone around for a few laps to get a bit of an alternative view to lines etc.

Sully60
6th March 2008, 16:56
The no1 big thing IMO is the key to feeling confident with committing to corners and leaning & or hanging off the amount you need to/feel confident with (that in itself is preference, I like to hang off, but have met people as fast that don't, some bikes that works ok) but back to the most important thing is;
To look where you want to go.

People throw this comment around but it is the most common impediment to riding well. It can take quite a mental exercise to train oneself to look smoothly around a corner as if ones was a greyhound with it's eyes on a rather fast rabbit rather than what many do as if following a rabbit that is about to get bitten.

On a tight track this may mean that on some corners you are looking at almost 90 degrees & always the horizon rather than at the ground. Sounds extreme but look at the photo thread & check out Fishys eyes & earlier in the corner my head position. click here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=68538)

This is the sort of thing to practise walking home from work or wherever & then transfer it onto the bike. Use peripheral vision to see the track ahead of you.

Further the use of reference points helps for your eyes to make this progression. If you don't know what the track looks like you can get lost.

I'm sure if we get Bayden to organise it we could get a few of the top runners to be assigned to a novice for a track session so they could all follow someone around for a few laps to get a bit of an alternative view to lines etc.

You've got it in one there Dave.

You all would've noticed Number Ones little deviations towards the tyres on the outside of the track on Sunday. She was initiating the turn in an lean really well but then forgot to keep looking through the turn as Dave mentioned above, she looked at the tyres at the precise point she needed to be looking at the corner exit and guess where she ended up going?

Get this part right and then think about the other stuff.

Thats a good idea about some tuition too, there's enough of us at a level that we could help most of the "rookies". (not allowed to call them noobs anymore eh Skunk?)

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 17:00
Target fixitation, luckily i was taught too look tho the corner when I first started riding, although im still pretty slow!!!

When ya going to give me a ride on ya bucket Sully eh eh eh eh ;). (Just kidding man)

Number One
6th March 2008, 17:21
When ya going to give me a ride on ya bucket Sully eh eh eh eh ;). (Just kidding man)

ahem....Sully and Number ones bucket....

Re looking around the corner enough- thanks babe for reminding everyone of my noob foibles but yes - completely agree looking enough around the corner made all the difference...on the bucket track this felt really weird cos on that hairpin I felt like i needed to be looking almost 180 degrees to set up right which just felt weird...but once I started to get used to looking that far ahead around the corners (SO where I wanted to go) I did stop worrying about the tyres and whether or not I could get around the corner cos I just did :2thumbsup

Mentors to follow round would be great!!!! I'd love to get a better sense of lines and speeds and braking points...bring on some tuition :2thumbsup:banana: I'm keen to learn

Str8 Jacket
6th March 2008, 19:34
Man you bucket fulla's are awesome! :D
Cheers guy's for the advice! Be awesome to have someone follow us around for a few laps.
Skunk you gonna help us out with advice etc.... :sunny:

ajturbo
6th March 2008, 20:04
Start out by doing two simple exersizes. 1)wherever possible move your feet so the balls of your feet are on the pegs.
2) Shift your rear end over so only one bum cheek is on the seat.

Do this as smoothly as possible.

As well as this try taking wider entry lines
By this -turning right into a corner figure out where on the track you are positioned . Now next lap try moving 300mm to the LEFT before you turn in.
hey frosty.... you have to realise the track is only about 32sec long....

slowly moving but half off seat is not an option... hahahahahahaha

Skunk
6th March 2008, 21:13
Skunk you gonna help us out with advice etc.... :sunny:Nope. Wouldn't have a clue.

Seriously. I only know what I know.
How I taught me:

Look where you want to go. Go faster.
Balls of the feet on the pegs. Setup for the next steps.
Then get comfortable with moving on the bike:

I started by moving my weight forward. Go faster.
Then moving the shoulders 'into' the corner. Like you're trying to shoulder-shove the inside of the corner. Go faster.
From there I started moving my arse over. Go faster.
And there the story ends after three years of learning.
Still to learn throttle-clutch control on exit and getting right off the bike.
I need a 'Ride fast for Dummies' book.
Dave - you passed comment on my peg to seat measurement... I think you're right about it being too small. Did you have a ballpark in mind?

Trudes
6th March 2008, 22:48
Dave - you passed comment on my peg to seat measurement... I think you're right about it being too small. Did you have a ballpark in mind?

Geeze, I'll say!!! I couldn't find your pegs when I got on it!!! Pamela's are in the same spot eh? But your seat is cut down more..... huge difference!

F5 Dave
7th March 2008, 08:24
Depends on how supple you are, how long of leg & bar position (ie low means you are more cramped. Many tend to place the pegs as high as they can, but really I try to get them to be as low as possible without being a scraping liability. If they are short then that helps & you move your feet out of the way a bit (as you are on the balls of them).

I'd then lower the seat until it is uncomfortable & then back a bit to bearable.

F5 Dave
7th March 2008, 08:27
Hey did anyone see the dirty great big birds on the hilltop leaving the site? Thought I' discovered some Moas!?@!!

Thought about finding some sand to sprinkle on the ground & see it they'd try to stick their head in it.:laugh:

Str8 Jacket
7th March 2008, 08:30
Hey did anyone see the dirty great big birds on the hilltop leaving the site? Thought I' discovered some Moas!?@!!

Thought about finding some sand to sprinkle on the ground & see it they'd try to stick their head in it.:laugh:

YES!!! Well actually *I* didnt see them, Malcolm and Kyle did. Emu's or something.... there must be an Emu farm up there.

F5 Dave
7th March 2008, 08:35
Ostriches I'd say, they were bloody huge.:gob: Emus are smaller I believe.

Trudes
7th March 2008, 08:36
Looks like I need to go back to doing yoga.... no excuse being a shortarse and not being able to get my knees touching my ears!!

Big bird was on the hill alright, drumstick anyone?

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 08:36
hey frosty.... you have to realise the track is only about 32sec long....

slowly moving but half off seat is not an option... hahahahahahaha
I guess I wasn't clear.
By slowly i meant smoothly.
The fastest guys I've had the privilage to race against (buckets) were a Guy called Tonto and a Dave diprose.
Both of em seem to flow on the bike without unsettling it.
Theory is if a newbee is trying to absorb everything theyre gonna acheive nothing.--KISS and theyll be able to pass one hurdle.

Str8 Jacket
7th March 2008, 08:38
Looks like I need to go back to doing yoga.... no excuse being a shortarse and not being able to get my knees touching my ears!!

Big bird was on the hill alright, drumstick anyone?

Oh maybe we could all take yoga together, imagine that BBOB's Yoga sessions. We'd need alcamahol though!!

Trudes
7th March 2008, 08:39
Oh maybe we could all take yoga together, imagine that BBOB's Yoga sessions. We'd need alcamahol though!!

Good God, I can imagine all the cackling and farting now!!

Str8 Jacket
7th March 2008, 08:41
Good God, I can imagine all the cackling and farting now!!

At least we'd have fun!

We could also incorporate leaning, angles and riding position into it. Nige could make the bike noises for us.....

F5 Dave
7th March 2008, 08:41
Tonto was pretty on to it. Long time ago. Dave Dip is still the guy to beat in Auckland, in the 50 class at least & has won more club races & 2 hrs there in both classes than anyone else.

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 08:43
Depends on how supple you are, how long of leg & bar position (ie low means you are more cramped. Many tend to place the pegs as high as they can, but really I try to get them to be as low as possible without being a scraping liability. If they are short then that helps & you move your feet out of the way a bit (as you are on the balls of them).

I'd then lower the seat until it is uncomfortable & then back a bit to bearable.
Hey Dave its been awhile since I bucketed.The smooth fast guys back then had sorta low MX bars and went for a as natural riding position as possible.
Theory was that yea you might be a tiny bit slower but the you had heaps better bike control.
Does this still apply ?

F5 Dave
7th March 2008, 09:19
Mix & match depending on style. I rode the F4 GP winners bike & he had a RS frame with cramped up pegs but MX bars fitted. I hated it, felt really remote at the front end. But can't deny his result, it worked for him. But in general there is a reason that most GP racing bikes look the way they do. The only difference in Buckets is that the corners are a lot tighter.

FROSTY
8th March 2008, 12:03
Mix & match depending on style. I rode the F4 GP winners bike & he had a RS frame with cramped up pegs but MX bars fitted. I hated it, felt really remote at the front end. But can't deny his result, it worked for him. But in general there is a reason that most GP racing bikes look the way they do. The only difference in Buckets is that the corners are a lot tighter.
funny how tastes are different. My Favorite bucket was the lil suzuki RG50
Changed the sprocket size and fitted sticky tyres .Other than the legal stuff I rode that bike as it came outs the crate. And went a second a lap faster than on my hotrod MB50