PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Nationals

Deano
7th March 2008, 06:59
Could F3/GP125 racers who have competed in all the Nationals Rounds please advise of how much it cost them ?

I'm definitely keen for Manfeild National Round next year, (Protwins) but would like an idea of how much the whole series costs.

Rough estimation only cause I'm sure the scotsman in me will be able to cut a few corners....

It's the cost of doing the South Island rounds that is of concern.

I'm currently putting a race cv together and will be approaching prospective sponsors - need to have a section in there about how much $$ or assistance I will need.

Cheers

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 07:20
think 6 sets of tyres to start with.-1 on the bike already 1 fresh set per round -also 1 set of wets
fuel costs $1500
accomodation -100 a night
entry fees 250 per round
oil n filter changes x5
brake pads front -2 sets--1 new in to start 1 set during
food--
ferry -300
ill add to the list as my memory sorts out

scrivy
7th March 2008, 08:52
think 6 sets of tyres to start with.-1 on the bike already 1 fresh set per round -also 1 set of wets
fuel costs $1500
entry fees 250 per round
oil n filter changes x5
food--
ferry -300

Accommodation $100 a night!!!! F@ck me Frosty - you stay at a palace?? Me and sidecar bob sleep in his van - costs us a total of $20 a night combined at a camp ground, and we get kitchen use, showers and toilets!!

Or ya could crash at some S.I. peoples houses - they love having us Norfies cum down. They aren't used to such talent in their premises - they treat you like a god...... :no::laugh::bleh::rolleyes::dodge:
The S.I. costs me about $2500-$3000 for everything. Thats ferry (including trailer), travel fuel, race fuel , 1 tyre, accommodation, and food, and entries.
Oil change and brake pad changes?? What are they?? You only do about 200km a weekend, if a standard motor can't do that, then buy a Suzuki...........:clap::clap::rockon:

sidecar bob
7th March 2008, 09:02
fuel costs $1500
entry fees 250 per round
oil n filter changes x5
food--
ferry -300

5 oil & filter changes, With all due respect chap, Thats ridiculous, Seriously, we have the same oil in the sidecar that we started the season with.
Your carbon footprint must be huge.

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 09:05
Oil change and brake pad changes?? What are they?? You only do about 200km a weekend, if a standard motor can't do that, then buy a Suzuki...........:clap::clap::rockon:
HMM--Mental note --dont buy a scrivvy used engine :2guns:
Ok Im a pedantic sod but I change oil after every meeting.
I set of tyres per meeting is right. I used the old set for the free practice ,friday practice and first sat practice then the new set for qualifying and the weekends racing.-On to next track and ditto etc.
I'm a slow learner so I like to do heaps of laps of a track to get even semi up to race pace.

ManDownUnder
7th March 2008, 09:05
Stoopid question but.... where are the nationals held, and how many KBers do them?

We must be able to find a house for the night for the lads and ladesses to cut back part of the bill.... I'm happy to put someone up if they want to commute from Kumeu to Pukekohe on the day.

scrivy
7th March 2008, 09:40
I set of tyres per meeting is right. I used the old set for the free practice ,friday practice and first sat practice then the new set for qualifying and the weekends racing.-On to next track and ditto etc.
I'm a slow learner so I like to do heaps of laps of a track to get even semi up to race pace.

Well there ya go chap! We only do 3 laps of practice. Mind you, we go faster in those 3 laps than we do in the races!!! Don't ask me why, but we do!! Thats why we don't wear our shit out!! As for our engine, well, we do have quite a bit of horses from it Frosty..... can't recall the exact figures, but sidecar bob could inform you......

sidecar bob
7th March 2008, 09:54

I work on cars all day that have a factory reccomended 25000km service interval, so i figure if we do the sidecar every 500km, (every season) were sweet, And when we pull the motor down after the season, theres no measureable or visible wear & the clutch is sweet as.
So could you please explain why it would be bad feng shui to buy an ex scrivy engine?? Would you rather have a slow one?
P.S, why do you waste so much oil? does i make you feel better, Does it make you faster, I find it does neither for me.
Oh, & to answer Scrivys question, We have 246 rear wheel H.p

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 10:07
REEEEW-he bites.heehhehehe
Hey strokes for folks.I change my oil because its peace of mind for me. Plain N simple.To me the cost of 2.5l o0f oil and a filter is woth knowing theres no metal shards from something might blow up etc

sidecar bob
7th March 2008, 10:20
REEEEW-he bites.heehhehehe
Hey strokes for folks.I change my oil because its peace of mind for me. Plain N simple.To me the cost of 2.5l o0f oil and a filter is woth knowing theres no metal shards from something might blow up etc

Na, i wasnt biting, Just wanted to know why our used engine would be second rate in your opinion, 'onya mate, whatever works for you.

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 10:35
Ok I admit it--I was just baiting ya mate. :devil2:
Hey how comes it ya aint at practice today?

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 10:40
Stoopid question but.... where are the nationals held, and how many KBers do them?

We must be able to find a house for the night for the lads and ladesses to cut back part of the bill.... I'm happy to put someone up if they want to commute from Kumeu to Pukekohe on the day.
The "Nationals" currently are held over 5 tracks -Teratonga-in INvergiggle
Levels near Timaru
Ruapuna which is virtually IN Christchurch
Then a break and then Manfeild -feilding
And finally Pukiehole

But there is talk of a national street series -2 nth island and 2 south island rounds

sidecar bob
7th March 2008, 10:45
Ok I admit it--I was just baiting ya mate. :devil2:
Hey how comes it ya aint at practice today?

Practice??? Why, are they running reverse direction this year, I never knew.:msn-wink:

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 11:08
OHH you mean you DIDDNT get the latest AMCC newsletter?
Or the race format for the sidecars? OMG.:Oops:
------ Sidecars please note you will be turning LEFT after pit straight and making use of the old club circuit.
If racing solos occurs whilst you are on track apply the might is right give way principle.

et al
7th March 2008, 11:25
Deano:
FYI - I was told (by two different riders) that they budgeted $10,000 to do all
Rounds of the Nationals. These are F2/SuperSport riders so costs may well be less for F3. Another useful thing I was told is that you should buy/secure your tyre supply well in advance of the series starting otherwise you could get caught out with supply problems (some of the big Teams get the Importer to reserve stock for them).

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 12:26
Deano:
FYI - I was told (by two different riders) that they budgeted $10,000 to do all
Rounds of the Nationals. These are F2/SuperSport riders so costs may well be less for F3. Another useful thing I was told is that you should buy/secure your tyre supply well in advance of the series starting otherwise you could get caught out with supply problems (some of the big Teams get the Importer to reserve stock for them).
Mate tyre supply issues have been a problem forever-
I "reserved' my 5 sets of Metzlers literally months in advance. -diddnt friggi help me squat

sidecar bob
7th March 2008, 12:34
Mate tyre supply issues have been a problem forever-
I "reserved' my 5 sets of Metzlers literally months in advance. -diddnt friggi help me squat

State of the industry!!! That is absolutely crap service, These idiots know from year to year what the go is, yet they cant seem to organise an orgy in a brothel.
Whats the go with the upper managment in thes organisations? are they out to lunch on their expense accounts hoping for the best?

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 12:49
Nahh in my opinion its a matter of the teams getting organised.
I missed out because the tyres I ordered (4 months in advance) arrived but were given to one of the suppliers "sponsored" teams.
Said team ordered the tyres 2 WEEKS before the nationals.

Mental Trousers
7th March 2008, 12:51
Other costs you have to factor in are work related. Either you:

take 3 weeks off work and do the South Island
organise with someone to haul your bike and gear and you fly there and back

The 2nd option isn't actually all that expensive if you book flights months in advance. The main problem with it is that you have to find someone willing come to an arrangement and able to haul your stuff (unless you stay a day longer each round and drive to the next track and store it all somewhere).

sidecar bob
7th March 2008, 13:13
I think ill just stay home & have a tug next year, That will work out cheaper than all the other options.

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 13:18
I did wonder about actually shipping the whole van/bike plot to Chch and flying down being as we be in dorkland

scrivy
7th March 2008, 13:22
I missed out because the tyres I ordered (4 months in advance) arrived but were given to one of the suppliers "sponsored" teams.

Mate, that's no excuse from the supplier!! They had a confirmed pre order for a national racer - you!! They knew the deal with you, and they knew they had sponsored another team also. They f@cked up by not having another batch of tyres there. NO EXCUSE!! They let down one of their customers severely!! They deserve to be blacklisted!!
If concerned KBers feel like PMing you to find out who the supplier was, I'm sure you could PM them back and we will no longer buy off those f@ckwits again.
That shit really riles me!! If I did that to one of my customers, they'd never come back!

sidecar bob
7th March 2008, 14:27

Aint that interesting, A biker that dosent know where & when the Nats are held, Im certainly not knocking you MDU, I think MNZ have got a lot of answering to do regarding the promotion of motorcycle racing.
At Manfield a prominent bearded fellow from MNZ told me they had spent many thousands of dollars advertising the nationals, But frankly, if i had not had entries posted out to me i would still be unaware of when & where.
Piss poor MNZ!!

Cherryrob
7th March 2008, 14:30
Hey Deano,Allow $10 grand and then do the whole thing budget.But if you take 3 weeks off work ,you loose that money also,so that has to go in the budget of things.I would have loved to have put Vicki and Drew in the south island rounds but it was time off for them,that was the hard part and you know how grumpy Drew gets when hes had no sleep,fuck stay well clear.If we do the rounds next year we could shoe horn you in the van (or tow ya)and Drew has family in all the main centres .We can talk during the Vic club winter meets..cheers,,,,have fun at the cliff hanger:Offtopic:

sidecar bob
7th March 2008, 14:30

Dude!! youre taking it up the ass & then apologising to them for you giving them a sore cock by the sounds of it.
Harden up & tell the cunts to sort their shit out.

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 14:31
If concerned KBers feel like PMing you to find out who the supplier was, I'm sure you could PM them back and we will no longer buy off those f@ckwits again.

Dude every year same problem -I've never known it to be different.
this year i understand that P had under ordered on 160 rear road tyres. Last year it was M.
I don't kick up a stink quite frankly because I'm only too well aware that the sponsor pool in NZ is very small. The old --shit in ya own nest story comes to mind

Deano
7th March 2008, 14:33
Hey Deano,Allow $10 grand and then do the whole thing budget.But if you take 3 weeks off work ,you loose that money also,so that has to go in the budget of things.I would have loved to have put Vicki and Drew in the south island rounds but it was time off for them,that was the hard part and you know how grumpy Drew gets when hes had no sleep,fuck stay well clear.If we do the rounds next year we could shoe horn you in the van (or tow ya)and Drew has family in all the main centres .We can talk during the Vic club winter meets..cheers,,,,have fun at the cliff hanger:Offtopic:

Cheers mate.

Time off work isn't so much of an issue for me - I 'work' for a Council LOL,
but seriously, I can build up time in lieu over the winter months.

Appreciate the offer of transport - will have to see how things pan out during the winter series.

You guys coming down for the Cliff Hanger ?

sidecar bob
7th March 2008, 14:45
Dude every year same problem -I've never known it to be different.
this year i understand that P had under ordered on 160 rear road tyres. Last year it was M.
I don't kick up a stink quite frankly because I'm only too well aware that the sponsor pool in NZ is very small. The old --shit in ya own nest story comes to mind

Well they are dumb cunts without equal. Lost opportunities & dis satisfied clients, Theyre not learning anything.

ManDownUnder
7th March 2008, 14:50
Aint that interesting, A biker that dosent know where & when the Nats are held.

Piss poor MNZ!!

Yes and no - I simply don't walk in those circles so I don't bother gathering that information. It's more my choosing than anyones' fault.

sidecar bob
7th March 2008, 15:43
Yes and no - I simply don't walk in those circles so I don't bother gathering that information. It's more my choosing than anyones' fault.

Theoreticaly you should only need to turn the TV on at around news time of an evening & it should be un avoidable.
It is a national championship FFS.

twinshock750
7th March 2008, 16:03
Theoreticaly you should only need to turn the TV on at around news time of an evening & it should be un avoidable.
It is a national championship FFS.

Funnily enough I did last night and you what....

IT WAS!

Puke being advertised on TV and it was 1,2 or 3 - can't remember which one, but it wasn't Prime, Triangle or C4.

Cherryrob
7th March 2008, 20:05

Was going too but doesnt look like its guna happen.Just not organised enough and i think Vicki and Drew need a break from us lot so they can do there own thing with out the sponsors breathing down there necks..I think Drew has his new toy at home for the event :scooter: You should go sus it out....:yes:

Deano
7th March 2008, 21:02

Was going too but doesnt look like its guna happen.Just not organised enough and i think Vicki and Drew need a break from us lot so they can do there own thing with out the sponsors breathing down there necks..I think Drew has his new toy at home for the event :scooter: You should go sus it out....:yes:

Sus it out as in take it for a quick burl ? :whistle:

Brett
9th March 2008, 10:21
I agree with the MNZ comments. I am a keen fan of most motorsports, particularly motorcycle racing. I think that if MNZ oculd get their marketing right, they would get their number of spectators up which would either:

a) reduce the cost of admission for spectators
b) due to the increased revenue, up-spec the event.

scracha
9th March 2008, 17:24

You'll do MORE wear and tear changing the oil every meeting.

Kickaha
11th March 2008, 09:34
The 2nd option isn't actually all that expensive if you book flights months in advance. The main problem with it is that you have to find someone willing come to an arrangement and able to haul your stuff (unless you stay a day longer each round and drive to the next track and store it all somewhere).

When we do the Manfeild round we leave our gear up there and fly home, someone drives it to Puke and we fly up, saves heaps of time and money over driving it home and back up, especially if you book far enough ahead to get the cheap flights ($59 Chch to Auck)

I think ill just stay home & have a tug

As apposed to coming to the track and having one? :bleh:

I reckon we spent no more than $4000, although our costs aren't relevant to F3, there's a few things you can do to make it easier for yourself

MNZ get a discounted rate on the Interislander through a booking system and 0800 number, however be aware as I found out sometimes it's cheaper on Bluebridge, $158 Interislander vs $130 Bluebridge Welly to Picton yesterday Van + Driver

Intrislander also offer a payment plan if you book a few months ahead so you can have the ferry paid off before the Nationals roll around

Use the Kb network to help out with accommodation, the last three years at Puke I've stayed with Riffraff and Whitetrash (top hosts that they are)

Find someone to travel with and share the costs

sidecar bob
11th March 2008, 10:33
When we do the Manfeild round we leave our gear up there and fly home, someone drives it to Puke and we fly up, saves heaps of time and money over driving it home and back up, especially if you book far enough ahead to get the cheap flights ($59 Chch to Auck)

As apposed to coming to the track and having one? :bleh:

I reckon we spent no more than $4000, although our costs aren't relevant to F3, there's a few things you can do to make it easier for yourself

MNZ get a discounted rate on the Interislander through a booking system and 0800 number, however be aware as I found out sometimes it's cheaper on Bluebridge, $158 Interislander vs $130 Bluebridge Welly to Picton yesterday Van + Driver

Intrislander also offer a payment plan if you book a few months ahead so you can have the ferry paid off before the Nationals roll around

Use the Kb network to help out with accommodation, the last three years at Puke I've stayed with Riffraff and Whitetrash (top hosts that they are)

Find someone to travel with and share the costs

Dude!!! if you need to pay off your ferry fare, or any other cost of racing a bike, you seriously need to ask yourself wether you can actually afford to race or not.
I appreciate you are probably not refering to yourself Kick.

Deano
11th March 2008, 10:50
Cheers for all the comments and PM's.

Very helpful.

Dodgy
11th March 2008, 15:01
I got pissed off with the Dunlop tyre supply for the 125s and got them instead from Aussie.

NZ supply was usually inadequate and the tyre dates proved they there old tyres. Buying them from Melb Suzuki saved me $120 per set over NZ prices even when freight was factored in..

Worth trying for your Metz tyres?

Fatjim
11th March 2008, 16:28
Don;t forget the cost of a new helmet each round.

Kickaha
11th March 2008, 16:32
Dude!!! if you need to pay off your ferry fare, or any other cost of racing a bike, you seriously need to ask yourself wether you can actually afford to race or not.
I appreciate you are probably not refering to yourself Kick.

I was talking more from a budgeting point of view and spreading the cost over a longer period to make it more affordable rather than paying for it in one hit

Although in reality the ferry is probably one of the smaller expenses

scrivy
12th March 2008, 11:54
Although in reality the fairy is probably one of the smaller expenses

What about your and Divvos anal lube bill??

BIHB@0610
12th March 2008, 12:00
What about your and Divvos anal lube bill??

Come off it Scrivy, don't be so negative. Three litres of Pam's Extra Virgin Olive Oil - hardly gonna break their bank methinks. Mind you by the looks of Kick's avatar they must've gone through a fair few litres before they even got to the North Island rounds ........:lol:

sidecar bob
12th March 2008, 12:14
Come off it Scrivy, don't be so negative. Three litres of Pam's Extra Virgin Olive Oil - hardly gonna break their bank methinks. Mind you by the looks of Kick's avatar they must've gone through a fair few litres before they even got to the North Island rounds ........:lol:

Divvo probably dosent need "extra virgin" anymore now planna, although i know where youre cumming from.

Pex Adams
12th March 2008, 12:18
Don;t forget the cost of a new helmet each round.

Don't be silly!

If he has to get a new helmet, then he'll have to get new leathers, which will then mean he has to give the bike a new paint job!

:oi-grr::oi-grr::oi-grr:

scrivy
12th March 2008, 12:18
You two....... get a room!!!:wacko::whistle:

roogazza
12th March 2008, 12:21
The answer is simple really, a championship has to mean something. If it doesn't, don't bother ! G.

sidecar bob
13th March 2008, 10:04
The answer is simple really, a championship has to mean something. If it doesn't, don't bother ! G.

Had to laugh yesterday, I text Scrivy to say id found our trophys while cleaning out the van, The txt i got back went like this, "Ho hum" & that was it.
Hmm, based on roogazza's post, Maybe we shouldnt bother, But its still big fun!!

scrivy
13th March 2008, 10:42
Had to laugh yesterday, I text Scrivy to say id found our trophys while cleaning out the van, The txt i got back went like this, "Ho hum" & that was it.
Hmm, based on roogazza's post, Maybe we shouldnt bother, But its still big fun!!

You've always been a trophy hunter Bob!!!! :no:
Hang on, sorry, that should have read 'TROPHY BLOCKER'!! :bleh:

BIHB@0610
13th March 2008, 11:22
For a while there I got all excited .... 'cause Bob was gonna be one boy with two cups .... :lol:

roogazza
13th March 2008, 11:37

Yeah bob, and thats why we really do it I suppose, big fun ! but what I was trying to say was , if you really want Titles, you just have to pay .
I never considered it worth the effort. (loved taking 9 points when it suited tho). Gaz

scrivy
13th March 2008, 15:34
I know someone that really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really.................... wanted the title..................

you get the picture!!:first:

BIHB@0610
13th March 2008, 16:51
I know someone that really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really.................... wanted the title..................

you get the picture!!:first:

What picture ......????

This one????

scrivy
13th March 2008, 19:53
Ah yes!! Another satisfied passenger!! :bleh: