PDA

View Full Version : Oh help! What have I done?

Citroenjunkie
7th March 2008, 13:07
After an afternoon of watching buckets in the rain a few weeks ago I have taken the plunge and bought a bike.

My logic is that I have bought a really old (1973) really cheap (the bike!!) Suzuki TC125. I have a sneaky suspicion that for quite some time I may be making someone happy each race meeting by saving them from coming last. My logic is that because the bike is old and cheap I might be able to fool some of the people, some of the time that I'm not a total nana!

Anyway I can't wait to get started stripping off claggy bits and replacing them with superlight fast looking bits. I even did preliminary designs using paint (God I need to get a life!)

Anyway now that you are impressed I really need some forks with an 18 inch front wheel and disk brakes. Please help me it's obvious I'm not able to help myself......

Oh yes the bucket has a name...Henry (There's a hole in my bucket dear Henry..

FROSTY
7th March 2008, 13:15
Dude those TF100 buckets used to seem bloody fast. Ya might end up with a weaponm on ya hands

Pumba
7th March 2008, 13:35
Haha I thought it would only be a matter of time ater talking to you last meeting. Its Ok you and me can fight over last place:laugh:

nudemetalz
7th March 2008, 13:37
Good on ya !!

F5 Dave
7th March 2008, 16:52
As photoshop efforts go that is pretty lame but that isn't the point. Good to see you on board.

The 125 of course should be restricted to a 24mm carb so I would check to see that one is std (well maybe bother to look after a couple of outings or sooner if you start getting up the field). A new pipe might be financed if the old pipe is in good condition, restorers go gooey over that sort of thing. Sometimes.

Trudes
7th March 2008, 18:08
Sweet, another one gets pulled into the bucket web! Congrats!!

merv
7th March 2008, 18:48
Now you did say a TC125, well they had the 4 speed gearbox with dual range which wouldn't be as useful as the TS125 which had the normal 5 speed box. However, maybe good on a really tight track, whack it into low range.

Citroenjunkie
8th March 2008, 16:18
Now you did say a TC125, well they had the 4 speed gearbox with dual range which wouldn't be as useful as the TS125 which had the normal 5 speed box. However, maybe good on a really tight track, whack it into low range.

That was part of my cunning plan (well if not cunning at least its charmingly naive, low range for short tracks and high range for Taupo!)

Thanks for the encouragement:yes:

Citroenjunkie
10th March 2008, 19:24
Henry arrived home dragged behind a smelly disease hole (Thanks D) and started first kick once I'd thrown some weedeater juice into the tank. I decided the premix couldn't do any harm, but by god it smoked!

Anyway after some diagnostic revving and stuff I have decided the engine is good, even if the clutch drags strongly (clutches are overrated, go carts don't have them at all).

Anyway I thought I'd start taking a few pieces off.... now that the whole bike is totally stripped I was at bit at a loose end, so it was on to trade me again and I bought some forks and a front brake. Promise you won't laugh... Oh okay laugh... from a GN 250.... a drum braked one:sick:

I've decided that if I'm going to be last I'm going to be last on a bike that looks the part, twin leading shoe drum brake and all.

Anyway its easy going slow only really clever people can go fast, and you only really need to stop at the end of the race and there's the pits for that.....

I told you I needed help.... and did you help?:weep:

gav
11th March 2008, 16:00
Dude those TF100 buckets used to seem bloody fast. Ya might end up with a weaponm on ya hands
Thought you'd know better, a TF100 is nothing like a TC125, like comparing a GSXR600 to a 650 Savage. The TF is a six speed piston port motor that is not restricted by carb size, they can be tuned to close to RM race specs, the TC has a dual gear box, and is limited to a 24mm carb. TF's are getting hard to find, but worth it if you can get one.

mstriumph
11th March 2008, 16:31
yet another candidate for the addictions hotline ...........

have fun!!

Citroenjunkie
31st March 2008, 19:27
Henry spent a trying day yesterday being severly attacked by a madman and an angle grinder!

Anway after a protracted periods of sparks and stuff and a quick trip to 'Mita spend' for another angle grinder because the Rid stump one from the 'WareWhare' started smoking and making little flames, we were finished. The garage was finished and most likely so are my chances of ever riding a whole motorcycle!

Henry is a far lighter, sleeker and smoother motorcycle (Okay slightly rusty collection of dirty japanese spaghetti, A.K.A the frame).

A quick bit of bodging later the footrest brackets were mounted (Amazing what you can do with a mig welder isn't it?)

So now all that awaits us is a sandblasting, some paint and then shock horror re-assembly.

Oh yes I bought tyres from Treadz.co.nz..Cheers Bryce:yes:

More soon:whocares:

speedpro
31st March 2008, 19:38
I'm hoping there isn't a crank inside that motor that you have filled with grinding grit!!!! :shit: You definitely have got the hang of the bucket racing build technique - keep taking shit off till it stops and then put the last bit removed back on.

ajturbo
31st March 2008, 21:40
those sparks are good for the engine aren't they?....
skunk says they are..

Citroenjunkie
2nd April 2008, 18:34
I did try to get them into the cylinder where they belong....

Relax! the casings are from spare motor three...I think....? The good motor is sunning itself among the carefully sorted parts on the bench..

Where's the 13?:pinch:

rat biker 08
2nd April 2008, 18:53
had good look use low and go trails rideing thats what those bikes are good for.http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

koba
3rd April 2008, 09:30
Class! the time for me to get/build a real bucket is getting closer..:scooter:

Citroenjunkie
1st May 2008, 22:42
We have ground and cut, stripped and wire brushed and now, at last the beastie is getting himself back together..

Before:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30042812&id=1159851044

Then after a bit of work:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30042814&id=1159851044

The new tyres were fitted by Rudy (Silver Fern Takanini:niceone:) and althought there isn't a lot of clearance with the 110/100 there is enough I hope...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30042815&id=1159851044

The last of today's pictures is the front tyre with lumps which will not last long i assure you all!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30042816&id=1159851044

Pumba
2nd May 2008, 08:19
Well I am keen to see what progress you have made but I aint got a face book account and I am not signing up just to see a few dam bike pics.

Post them up.

Citroenjunkie
2nd May 2008, 20:38
I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON BUT I CAN'T POST @#$ PICTURES

Suprisingly I am getting a little frustrated....! This is however a way around the problem.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/citroenjunkie/Framebefore.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/citroenjunkie/DSCF4344.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/citroenjunkie/fronttyrenew.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/citroenjunkie/s3wingarmclearance.jpg

I was naughty and posted a rude picture in another thread and now I can't post pictures in threads... Oh well the wages of sin....

Kendog
2nd May 2008, 21:18
I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON BUT I CAN'T POST @#$ PICTURES

Suprisingly I am getting a little frustrated....!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/citroenjunkie/DSCF4344.jpg

That picture looks cool and should post in here easy.

In a reply click the 'Manage Attachments' button
Click the 'Browse' button in the new window that appears
Find the picture in your computer, click on it and click on the 'Open' button
Click the 'Upload' button
Close the window once the attachment is showing
Click the 'Submit reply' button (or 'Preview Post' to have a look first)

Pumba
2nd May 2008, 22:25
I was naughty and posted a rude picture in another thread and now I can't post pictures in threads... Oh well the wages of sin....

:killingme

Looking good so far

Citroenjunkie
3rd May 2008, 14:23
:killingme

Looking good so far

Thanks I think:o

Will you be at the GP? I'm going along to Marshall

Pumba
3rd May 2008, 14:48
Should be there at some stage but probbally as a spectator, will probally wait till next season till I race again that way I am not forking out money for licences that I only get to use once or twice (yes I do squeck when I walk I am that thight)

Citroenjunkie
11th July 2008, 14:14
I finally did it.. I extracted the digit and cleaned about thirty years of clag off the motor and put it back in the frame.

Now all I have to do is:
Shorten the brake pedal
remake the gear lever
Find handlebars (clip ons)
clean out the carb
and make numberplates

Sounding far more likely now isn't it :yes:

vifferman
11th July 2008, 14:50
Looks almost like a real motorbike...

Skunk
11th July 2008, 15:02
Looking good. Good colour - Green for go, Red for stop.

Pumba
11th July 2008, 16:41
Looking good, so far, now is it going to be ready for next weekend?

Citroenjunkie
12th July 2008, 20:03
Looking good, so far, now is it going to be ready for next weekend?

UUUUUM...... No :weep:

Maybe for December but I'm not getting the handle bars till next week, my welder mate is not available till then either....(He desperately thinks of lame excuses....)

Soon... I hope

k14
12th July 2008, 21:08
Nice work, looking good. Good luck getting it finished :)

Buckets4Me
21st February 2009, 18:06
so how is this project coming along now ????

need updates thank you

SHELRACING
21st February 2009, 19:20
Yes please an update.

Next meeting is 14/15th March.

speights_bud
21st February 2009, 20:03

Does it have 4WD TOO???? :whistle:

Pumba
21st February 2009, 20:50
I think this sums up how its going

Due to a change of location, I'm moving South Henry the bucket is for sale.

I'll post a S1.00 reserve auction on Trade me later today for more info see...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1463137#post1463137

If you just can't wait and want to make an offer..

citroenjunkie@gmail.com

Cheers

P

Ixion
4th July 2009, 18:35
Well, Henry lives.

Taken a while , what with lots of other projects and work and shit. And lots of vital little bits being missing. And the lathe breaking down in the middle of things caused some delay.

But after much ratting around in the assorted detritus of 40 years of bike bits, it's almost all there. Some bits of Titan, bits of RZ350, bits of CB77,bits of CB125, even bits off a BSA Bantam. 'S a right mongrel.

Today, I finally bolted the carb on, wired an exhaust (of sorts) in place, found a spark plug, poured some petroil in the tank - and it fired up first kick.

Lots of two stroke smokey crackley goodness.

Now I just have to fabricate a proper exhaust and weld some mountings on for it : finish fabricating the gearshift linkage (someones moved the footrests into weird places ) : fabricate a front brake cable ; fabricate a tacho mounting : fabricate a seat : sort out some sort of rear cowling and front mudguarding . And muck about with all that blasted nylonning shit.

Take a while, but shouldn't cost anything.

Then once its done I need to decide if I go ahead with it, or onsell it. Not going to be easy talking Mrs Ixion round : I sold the idea to her on the basis it was a cheap way to keep me occupied and out of the pub. Didn't realise that the bike was only the start of it.

She's not going to take kindly to the notion that it's going to need another 2 or 3 thousand bucks for Space Ranger racing suits, and fancy racing boots , and gloves and God knows what else.

Or to the idea of a $25 a day "licence charge " (For WHAT pray ? ). That's 5 pints of Speights. The pub would be cheaper.

Still it's an interest I guess. I like to see bikes come back from the dead.

Buckets4Me
4th July 2009, 21:24
Pray god WHAT!!!! have you done

built a bucket. Quick call the guys in white coats.
There is no fix for what you are about to catch

whatever you do dont take it to a kart track and race it

:scooter:
there is NO turning back after that

all4A50s
5th July 2009, 02:18
Well, Henry lives.

Take a while, but shouldn't cost anything.

She's not going to take kindly to the notion that it's going to need another 2 or 3 thousand bucks for Space Ranger racing suits, and fancy racing boots , and gloves and God knows what else.

Or to the idea of a $25 a day "licence charge " (For WHAT pray ? ). That's 5 pints of Speights. The pub would be cheaper.

Still it's an interest I guess. I like to see bikes come back from the dead.

I got my leathers second hand for $80, boots for $60 and gloves on special @ $45.

And the day licence I work amount of laps I do and it seems to sork out $1 a lap. Good deal for such fantastic fun.

Buckets4Me
5th July 2009, 07:53
And the day licence I work amount of laps I do and it seems to sork out $1 a lap. Good deal for such fantastic fun.

why dont you just get a club licence as it is much cheaper and you only have to go to 3-4 meatings and you have nearly paid for a full licence ;)

I think they give you a discount on you'r licence if you have brought a day licence or 2

Rick 52
5th July 2009, 16:24
I got my leathers second hand for $80, boots for $60 and gloves on special @ $45.

Yep thats about what I paid for my gear Its not flash but its buckets .
Go for it the hard bit is building the bike you have to try it out now !!

Ixion
11th July 2009, 22:13
Gear linkage is done and fitted. I had to *buy* a packet of circlips, cost $6. Not cheap this lark. Chain fitted . Front brake cable fabricated and fitted. I was able to use the off cut bit of steel from the gearchange linkage for the brake cable stopper thingy. That's a saving.

Pretty much ridable now. Rest is cosmetics, titivation and nylonning.

Tactful hints to Mrs Ixion about leathers and licences were not well received. Even less well received was the suggestion that bucketing would necessitate my buying a milling machine. Well, it DOES. I have a blister on my hand from filing! Is she sympathetic ? No !

Certainly not practical to do this shit without a lathe. And , I reckon, a milling machine. And a TIG welder. (I haven't mentioned that to her yet)

I'll need to let her calm down a bit I think. Mrs Ixion guards the bank account like a mother hen guards her chicks.

She blames you people, by the way. She thinks you have led me astray into extravagance .

Ixion
11th July 2009, 22:19
Do I have to have lock stops? I ain't got any . Well, I do, but cos the yoke doesn't match the frame , they don't actually stop. As it were.

*I* don't need 'em.

Ixion
12th July 2009, 16:12
Hm. Well the first run unde rpower, down the drive and back revealed a bit of fettling to be done.

The carb is flooding worse than the Nile delta. Gods know how its adjusted becaused it's as weird and insane as an Egyptian .The main jet is *inside* the float drain plug. i kid you not. Must have been designed by an insane Hungarian after a hard night on the arrack. Anyone know the float height for a TC125?

And somehow my new gearchange linkage has resulted in a British pattern. But on the wrong side. Which will take some getting used to. Strange.

And the riding position isn't going to work for anyone taller than four foot. Maybe I'll fit wide high bars and treat it as a motard

Are motards allowed in bucket racing?

bucketracer
12th July 2009, 16:17
Bring it to the track next Sunday 19th. as a bit of encouragement to see if you like Bucketracing for the first race day or two they let newbies have a put around in practice and the prelims for free.

I have been down for a ride or two on a mates bike, they are a friendly bunch ask anyone and they will point you in the right direction.

Ixion
12th July 2009, 16:33
Oh I'm sure I should enjoy it. never found anything to do with bikes that I didn't. Question is, can I afford the time or the money.

bucketracer
12th July 2009, 17:02
Oh I'm sure I should enjoy it. never found anything to do with bikes that I didn't. Question is, can I afford the time or the money.

Probably not! But why let that stop you?

SHELRACING
12th July 2009, 17:10
YEAH I RECKON YOU GOTTA GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT.
IF YOU GONA GET A BUCKET THEN YOU NEED TO RIDE ON A REGULAR BASIS.
CHANGE YOUR JOB, SO YOU HAVE WEEKENDS FREE.
ORGANISE ALL OTHER STUFF SO THAT RACE WEEKEND IS FREE.
AFTER A LITTLE WHILE PEOPLE STOP ASKING YOU TO DO STUFF ON RACE WEEKENDS.
WELL THATS WHAT WE DO! :niceone:

Ixion
12th July 2009, 17:31
Well fuels no longer pissing out of the crab. But its terminally gutless over half throttle. And the plugs as black as a nigger coalheaver.

Gotta find the crab settings.

Course, I dunno if the crabs the original for the bike. And the zorst is different. And there's no air box (though those should make it run lean not rich).

F5 Dave
12th July 2009, 18:13
The crab will be origi-digy yes main in float ok, but will seal with a oh-ring. that may need changing. to recon the float jet seat a ball bearing dropped down & smartly tapped could help if think still dodgy.

Ixion
12th July 2009, 18:22
Float valve's sealing OK. Holds a vaccum , anyway. Don't remember seeing an O-ring , though, I'll have another look for that. Always difficult when y' don't know if it ever ran OK with the present setup. And quite a few bits were missing when I got it. Dunno why people must take bits off randomly.

Where's the O-ring go?

F5 Dave
12th July 2009, 18:32
Hmm, depends on carb, but thought the type with remote main had to seal lest it sucks from before the jet as well, but been a while since seen this type.

Ixion
12th July 2009, 18:38
I found a parts fiche online. Comparing that with what I've got, there should be an oring that seals the needle jet where it goes into the float bowl (don't ask, I said it was terminally wierd). With the o ring missing fuel can pass from the float bowl to the metered side of the main jet and into the needle jet, bypassing the main jet. So that would cause rich running.

It's probably a Viton Oring so i'll need to go see if Colemans have one.

The fiche also lists main jets from 82.5 to 130. That's a hell of a range

Thanks for that tip.

F5 Dave
12th July 2009, 18:45
Premo. Just match up from hydraulic shop something that fits.