PDA

View Full Version : Can't find a vibe

huck farley
7th March 2008, 19:01
Between 4500rpm and 4800rpm I have a niggly vibration. It comes through the foot pegs in any gear everything else is free from vibration other than the footrests. It's one of those real pissy of vibe's anyone got any clues as to what may be causing it??????? (the bikes a Triumph Tiger 1050 Triple) only 14 months old done 20,000.
Cheers all
Huck

mowgli
7th March 2008, 19:11
Have you tried taking it for a ride with the stands removed or tied up securely?

Grub
7th March 2008, 19:47
Is this a new vibe or has it been there before?

If it's always been there I suggest it may be a pipe tuning thing.
- Does the bike have an aftermarket pipe?
- Has the vibe started relative to a new pipe
- Has the vibe started since a dent in the pipe?

You can see where this is going. You could try loosening the muffler bracket and sliding the can a few cms each way (like tuning a trombone). Who knows, always a good place to start

WasPhantom
7th March 2008, 20:41
I'm still just sniggering at the topic.

xwhatsit
8th March 2008, 00:52
I thought only Harleys were the vibrating pigs?

Anyway, check engine mount bolts and stuff like that. I had one bolt come loose (yes I torqued it correctly in the first place), and the normally fairly smooth thumper motor turned into a Rabbit MkII.

I've had several owners of multis tell me that after they synced their carbs, the engine stopped vibrating (especially at a certain point in the rev range).

It seems to me that anything with more than two cylinders tends to have that annoying narrow-range vibration.

huck farley
8th March 2008, 07:33
It's been there since day one. I do have an after market can on (with no dents in the pipe) but it's like I say, been there since day one.

I have re torqued the engine mounting bolts. It's been into the dealers and came out, I think worse!! It's got me whacked. I guess I will just have to put up with it until someone comes up with the remedy.
Cheers all
Huck

PS It's not a jack hammer vibe like the Harley's get!!

Gremlin
9th March 2008, 23:05
try adding or removing weight from the pegs

it will shift the vibes to somewhere else in the rev range (should be the same concept as bar end weights)

Subike
9th March 2008, 23:15
I have a vibration that sounds exactly like this.
The bad news is I know what it is.
A broken finger in my clutch basket.
It is a very small vibration , or was 1000k ago, it has slowly got worse.
good lucj in finding it, took me 3 days to pinpoint mine,
Anybody out there got a dead yammy xs eleven in their shed , want to sell me the clutch basket?

pete376403
10th March 2008, 08:36
I have re torqued the engine mounting bolts. It's been into the dealers and came out, I think worse!! It's got me whacked.
Does the engine have solid or rubber engine mounts? I recall reading a magazine article about a bike that vibrated worse after a shop had "serviced" it, including tightening the engine bolts until they squeaked. By doing that they had compressed the rubber mounts to a point that they were all but solid. Retorquing them to the correct figure allowed the mounts to move and restoring the engines buttery smoothness (Suzuki 550 t/s triple)

scumdog
10th March 2008, 08:52
It's slowly evolving into a Harley - the worst kind for vibes, an iron-head Sportster!!

(Cue to maniacal laughter) Mwahahahahah!!!!

Seems to be a harmonics issue rather than a mechanical fault? - these can make themselves know through noise eminating from obscure parts of the bike.

Just ride at the rev-range producing the noise and put pressure on various parts of the bike and see if that affects the noise

Sometimes you need a pillion to be with you when the vibe is there and get them to touch various parts of the bike to see if the can get the noise to stop - then you have to try to get rid of said noise by checking the tightness of any bolts, brackets etc on that item - or insulate them somehow.

If it IS a mechanical noise your on you own, too hard to diagnose.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jimmy B
10th March 2008, 09:28
Completely different theory...cam chain tensioner. X11 had same at 3000-4000 rpm (23000kms). Hard to pin point on the move but very obvious when reving to 3000 on the side stand. My 2c :sunny:

vifferman
10th March 2008, 09:33
try adding or removing weight from the pegs
The VFR800 has vibration in the left footpeg at cetain revs, and comes with a weight bolted to the bottom to damp this out, which it was only partly successful in doing.
What I did was remove the rubber part from the top of the footpeg, poured some melted lead into the footpeg (it has a hollow in it), and refitted the rubber.
The vibration has now gone, damped out by the lead.

nodrog
10th March 2008, 09:45
Between 4500rpm and 4800rpm I have a niggly vibration. It comes through the foot pegs in any gear everything else is free from vibration other than the footrests. It's one of those real pissy of vibe's anyone got any clues as to what may be causing it??????? (the bikes a Triumph Tiger 1050 Triple) only 14 months old done 20,000.
Cheers all
Huck

i noticed the same thing on my 07 speed triple (1600 km's) the other day, then it started making a noise like the cam chain was going to shit itself, did some investigation and it turns out the chain just needed a decent clean and lube, problem solved.

i had a look on the triumph forum and apparently the 1050 engines are well known for making funny noises/vibes from the chain.

avgas
10th March 2008, 09:50
Check your wheel nut - old man had it on a 955, the vibe got worse and then it felt horrible as single sided swingarm had an epileptic fit

huck farley
11th March 2008, 06:49
I have pi pointed and fixed the vibration on my Tiger. I think it was due to the chain being on the tight side.
Then again I slackened (right of) my engine mount bolts and re torqued them.

So it must have been one of the above or both. Anyhow it's fixed thanks to you guys and your thoughts on what it might have been.

That's what I like about this forum. Everyone is trying to help every one else who has a problem!! Great work, I'm really stocked re the positive suggestions.

Long live the KB forum.

Cheers all that made this happen. :clap:
Huck

Robbo
11th March 2008, 09:31
That's good news then Huck. Was a little concerned that you had left the Tiger unattended one day and that it may have been "Humped" by a Fatboy and was starting to develop some Harley Habits.
:done: