PDA

View Full Version : Otago: "The not the Hororata but sussing out the '08 KB camp-out site Rally"

scumdog
8th March 2008, 08:35
OK, due to 'somebody' getting the dates mixed up CB and I are heading off to inland Otago and staying the night at Naseby, the plan is to suss out if the area is going to be what we want for this years KB camp-out/rally.

MAY meet with some of the Dunners crew for part of the ride and head up via Outram - Middlemarch - Ranfurly.

Tomorrow we'll come back via Alexandra - Roxburgh - Beaumont.

Will give a report on gettin home.:scooter:

Okey Dokey
8th March 2008, 14:07
Excellent. Hope you had a great ride and that you can give Naseby a good report. It will be good to hear what you find and get a "preview".

Paul in NZ
8th March 2008, 17:26
Um? When is this worthy event? Vicki and I are repairing la Guzzi for a southern sojourn in late nov and hopefully the Burt Munro thung. We will be meeting some merkins in the upper North - wend our way to chch and then maybe the Munro?

It would be swell if we could fit this in too...

Rashika
8th March 2008, 18:33
well last year it was on the 9-10 dec so whatever the equiv in this year is what we are hoping for i think

I reckon the naseby idea could be a good one :cool:

Paul in NZ
8th March 2008, 20:53
Oh well - wurf a crack

NighthawkNZ
9th March 2008, 15:48
Had a great cruise up to Nasbey via middlemarch and ranfurly with ScumDog, Chrissy, and Steam... weather was just to good to be stuck inside working...

Naseby well its stuck in its own little time warp, but such a beautiful, and great lil-place... two pubs to choose from, a motor museum thingy (with a chainsaw bike), a very tall christmas tree, and curling and stuff.

Road back through Alexandra, Roxburgh. SD, and CB parted at Beaumont and headed down to the Balcluta while Steam and I continued into the metro-city of Lawrence.

Awesum weekend thanx for the invite. I had fun.
http://www.quantumillusions.com/photo/index.php?twg_album=Trips%2FNaseby++March+2008

scumdog
10th March 2008, 20:49
As N/H says: we came we saw we conquered (sort of!)

I reckon Naseby is easily No1 KB get-together site:2thumbsup - now to get idb to jack up where we're going to stay.

And if he doesn't there's still a few options in Naseby.

Have a look at N/Hs site and have a squiz at his pics to give you a little insight on what the place is like.

Steam
10th March 2008, 20:54
Yep, Naseby is the place to be. Two pubs, cheap beer, an automotive museum, nice campground / cheap and good cabins, internet access, I likes it.
Nice to meet you Scummy and Nighthawk and CB! I am happy I was able to keep up and not hold you back too much.
See you at some rally or other no doubt.

xknuts
16th March 2008, 20:34

I reckon Naseby is easily No1 KB get-together site:2thumbsup - now to get idb to jack up where we're going to stay.

Well Scummy, I have just returned from a Bikers weekend in Naseby which I organised. There is only one place to stay, Larchview Holiday Park and it will not be suitable for us. We had 49 persons in all and took mostly all the tourist accomodation as in lodges, chalets and cabins, and then there were caravans, BUT we would NOT get this site to ourselves to rave up into the night as other campers would still be around. Our numbers are usually around 30 ish?? How about Danseys Pass Campground, its small enough to have for ourselves???

scumdog
16th March 2008, 22:25
Well as it happens one of the locals that we spoke to said he can rent us out a couple of holiday homes if need be - plus idb has some 'plans' sp I won't wipe Naseby off our choices yet but Danseys does sound appealing if we can get it for ourselves!!!:wari:

xknuts
17th March 2008, 06:15
Well as it happens one of the locals that we spoke to said he can rent us out a couple of holiday homes if need be - plus idb has some 'plans' sp I won't wipe Naseby off our choices yet but Danseys does sound appealing if we can get it for ourselves!!!:wari:

Keep us informed

idb
17th March 2008, 13:51
I'm doing a bit of work on it at the moment.
I have a few contacts that way so I'll see how I get on.

xknuts
17th March 2008, 21:50
I'm doing a bit of work on it at the moment.
I have a few contacts that way so I'll see how I get on.

Alright IDB, but transfer your ideas over to the poll thread coz I reckon unless we have a private option in Naseby it won't work.:argh: We took over both pubs (50 metres apart) for meals but ended up in ones Garden Bar, backed up one of our support vehicles to the fence, opened the hatch and enjoyed OUR music via a wireless FM /mp3 & had a party. :beer:

Ruralman
19th March 2008, 13:35
Well Scummy, I have just returned from a Bikers weekend in Naseby which I organised. There is only one place to stay, Larchview Holiday Park and it will not be suitable for us. We had 49 persons in all and took mostly all the tourist accomodation as in lodges, chalets and cabins, and then there were caravans, BUT we would NOT get this site to ourselves to rave up into the night as other campers would still be around. Our numbers are usually around 30 ish?? How about Danseys Pass Campground, its small enough to have for ourselves???

My question about the Danseys Pass camping ground would be about meals - on the first KB rally many went down to the Otematata pub for a meal and then came back. Not sure how that worked at the second event? - but at Danseys Pass camping ground you're a long way from any of that. This may be able to be dealt with if the manager was able to supply food BBQ etc or we contract BBQ Bill or someone, but it is a lot easier if theres a pub reasonably handy

scumdog
19th March 2008, 13:38
Good call RM, I guess that's a factor we'll have to look at regardless of where decide to have Camp Runamuck (KB) eh!

Isolated from members of public, shops etc - but not TOO isolated is the way I see it.

xknuts
20th March 2008, 19:39
My question about the Danseys Pass camping ground would be about meals - on the first KB rally many went down to the Otematata pub for a meal and then came back. Not sure how that worked at the second event? - but at Danseys Pass camping ground you're a long way from any of that. This may be able to be dealt with if the manager was able to supply food BBQ etc or we contract BBQ Bill or someone, but it is a lot easier if theres a pub reasonably handy

At Otematata we looked after ourselves foodwise in the kitchen on the Saturday night, but we had a big breakfast BBQ cook up next morning. At Parnassus it was much the same as the Pork Rottisserie was not ready until 11.00PM, most of us had brought other food options thank goodness. Forget BBQ Bill, that's an expense we don't need.
Food is not the problem, noise annoying other campers IS! Both previous rally's have been excellent due to the isolation, and separation of others. :woohoo:

http://www.jasons.com/New-Zealand/Oamaru/Danseys-Pass-Holiday-Park/brochure/

http://www.nzcamping.co.nz/camp.php?id=702

doc
20th March 2008, 19:47

Have a look at N/Hs site and have a squiz at his pics to give you a little insight on what the place is like.

Yeah but where the fu.k is it ??????

xknuts
20th March 2008, 20:05

Find Duntroon in the Waitaki Valley, North Otago. 15kms from there into the hills

Jantar
20th March 2008, 20:33

Find Duntroon in the Waitaki Valley, North Otago. 15kms from there into the hills

Find Ranfurly in the Maniototo, go 10 kms North from there into the hills.

xknuts, you'd be the wrong side of Danseys Pass. :devil2:

xknuts
21st March 2008, 19:10
Find Ranfurly in the Maniototo, go 10 kms North from there into the hills.

xknuts, you'd be the wrong side of Danseys Pass. :devil2:

Jantar, Thats the Danseys Pass Pub Not where the Danseys Pass Camp is though. But I know what you are thinking, that the best way to get there is OVER the pass esp for Adventure Bike Riders. Hey, I've done it on the "Custard Tart" so don't think I won't do it again!!!:woohoo:

MyGSXF
27th March 2008, 20:04

Go to Trademe & across the top of the page look for the word "Smaps".. type in 'Naseby' .. & it will bring you up a map.. it's very cool, I use it a lot! :Punk:

Jantar
27th March 2008, 20:36
Jantar, Thats the Danseys Pass Pub Not where the Danseys Pass Camp is though. But I know what you are thinking, that the best way to get there is OVER the pass esp for Adventure Bike Riders. Hey, I've done it on the "Custard Tart" so don't think I won't do it again!!!:woohoo:

Uhh, I think he was asking where Naseby is, not Danseys. :rolleyes:

NighthawkNZ
27th March 2008, 20:44
Go to Trademe & across the top of the page look for the word "Smaps".. type in 'Naseby' .. & it will bring you up a map.. it's very cool, I use it a lot! :Punk:

or just type www.smaps.co.nz

doc
28th March 2008, 18:03

WTF. You mean its for sale on trademe ?

idb
30th March 2008, 20:20
Just spent the weekend at Naseby.
It's a great town and the'd really look after us if we get there.

I've made a few enquiries and am waiting for some replies.

I'll post up whatever I come up with.

SilverGrin
30th March 2008, 20:59
Just spent the weekend at Naseby.
It's a great town and the'd really look after us if we get there.

I've made a few enquiries and am waiting for some replies.

I'll post up whatever I come up with.

I'll watch this thread with interest. The missus hasn't been to Naseby, so we'd be up for a ride there.

idb, do you know any older harley riders in Arrowtown?
I have an uncle up that way who binned his nighttrain in the rain up near Queenstown a while ago.

idb
8th April 2008, 23:44
I've just had a message of a shearers' quarters possibility around Wedderburn.
All being well I'll suss it out this weekend.

If it looks good and the terms sound right I'll post some photos and see what everyone thinks.

idb
8th April 2008, 23:45
I'll watch this thread with interest. The missus hasn't been to Naseby, so we'd be up for a ride there.

I have an uncle up that way who binned his nighttrain in the rain up near Queenstown a while ago.

I know one or two but I'm not sure I know anyone with a nighttrain.

dangerous
9th April 2008, 06:23

where?

On the coast Fox I reckon

scumdog
9th April 2008, 07:46
All being well I'll suss it out this weekend.

If it looks good and the terms sound right I'll post some photos and see what everyone thinks.

Some good riding around there, use to stay at the Wedderburn pub when Lenny Leng had it years ago, wouldn't be too bad a bad spot.

But being cheap and easy I'll go with the flow.

scumdog
9th April 2008, 07:47
where?

On the coast Fox I reckon

Does anybody know of a KB-suitable venue at Fox (or similar Coast place)?

McJim
9th April 2008, 08:05

So did we decide on Fox or Naseby?

idb
9th April 2008, 08:11
So did we decide on Fox or Naseby?

I'll suss the Wedderburn place out, it's just down the road from Naseby, and throw it into the mix for general comment.
It has a pub and a golf course.

MyGSXF
9th April 2008, 08:37
'smaps' is your friend.. :rolleyes:

http://www.smaps.co.nz/nz/central+otago/naseby/wedderburn-naseby+plantation+road/

zoom out to get a good view.. tis just down the road from the Monkey site! :yes:

dangerous
9th April 2008, 19:23

the motor camp, cabins and tent sites?

Ghost_Bullet
9th April 2008, 20:00
Yea as said before Fox would be a great option... a fun back to Franz would be cool for lunch or somthing, as that road is awesome...
I have just sent some ideas to some people in Fox I know... and will report back, with other option for this or next year, if posible.

scumdog
9th April 2008, 21:38
the motor camp, cabins and tent sites?

But would the others staying there REALLY want to mix with KBers???

My thoughts are that wherever we pick it has to have some privacy from 'the general public'.

Anybody else wish to comment??

Ghost_Bullet
9th April 2008, 22:45
Anybody else wish to comment??

Yes, no yes no....... mmmmm no..... well yes.. I see wot ya mean, and yes. But then somthing completely left field could fit well for variety...lets get a ice hike onto the glacier... plenty of ice there for the drinkies... quiet... and any shit heads can go stright down a cevace.... not that we have any in our camp... :cool:

xknuts
10th April 2008, 00:03

I know him, Is it Curly? He off roaded coming back from Glenorchys last rally, Jan 2007. Gave us a hell of a fright when we came across him in the ditch with his HD on top of him. I have asked IDB the same ?, but they don't know each other.

Back to the matter of accommodation & where ! I believe there is a lodge at Fox's peak, a skifield near Fairlie that has good rates, and not in use in summer. Could be another option???? It would be all ours.

idb
10th April 2008, 08:48
I know him, Is it Curly? He off roaded coming back from Glenorchys last rally, Jan 2007. Gave us a hell of a fright when we came across him in the ditch with his HD on top of him. I have asked IDB the same ?, but they don't know each other.

I do remember seeing that Harley parked in the water table facing the wrong way.

SilverGrin
10th April 2008, 19:57
I know him, Is it Curly?

Yep, that be him.
Been meaning to ride up that way for a day trip and pick him up, I dunno if he does the rally thing now.
It might have to wait 'til summer now though.

xknuts
12th April 2008, 07:53
Yep, that be him.
Been meaning to ride up that way for a day trip and pick him up, I dunno if he does the rally thing now.
It might have to wait 'til summer now though.

Well he has his bike back so I believe he is riding again.

Kemet
17th April 2008, 17:57
Yes, no yes no....... mmmmm no..... well yes.. I see wot ya mean, and yes. But then somthing completely left field could fit well for variety...lets get a ice hike onto the glacier... plenty of ice there for the drinkies... quiet... and any shit heads can go stright down a cevace.... not that we have any in our camp... :cool:

Don't have any wot??

Shit heads?? or Crevaces???

I'm thinking you mean we have no shit heads as there are more than enough :shake: aka crevace at the rallies!!!!

Ghost_Bullet
17th April 2008, 18:02
Don't have any wot??

Shit heads?? or Crevaces???

I'm thinking you mean we have no shit heads as there are more than enough :shake: aka crevace at the rallies!!!!

LOL... damn you have made me sound somewhat confusing.... and NOW I am confussed..:pinch:

NighthawkNZ
17th April 2008, 18:05
NOW I am confussed..:pinch:

ummm... yes :D