PDA

View Full Version : Shineray bucket racer--why not?

FROSTY
9th March 2008, 10:28
The threads I've been reading lately about building buckets and stuff have got me to thinking.
Jorja hates her Shineray 150 trail bike with a vengance.
Fairynuff
But Im thinking why not turn it into a bucket.
It already has- disk brake front, Monoshock rear.A Fairly solid swingarm.
150cc Honda based engine
fairly low gearing.
Im thinking take the 19" front rim out and fit a 17". slide forks up the clamps. plastic blocks under the pegs--easy-theyre trail type so bolt throughable.
Is this a bit too easy--Am I missing something?

deanohit
9th March 2008, 11:24
Oy! Don't go stealing my idea! :girlfight:

:2thumbsup Awesome though man, thats about my thinking for a bucket racer too, whats more fun than a bucktard, shouldn't be too hard to wheelie aye? :whistle:

FROSTY
9th March 2008, 11:26
Oy! Don't go stealing my idea! :girlfight:

:2thumbsup Awesome though man, thats about my thinking for a bucket racer too, whats more fun than a bucktard, shouldn't be too hard to wheelie aye? :whistle:
Had to go a long way to steal it

quallman1234
9th March 2008, 15:19
Just generally wonderig, why does she hate her shineray trial bike?

Buddha#81
9th March 2008, 16:54
you could be hit with rule 24-2-4 if you start winning on it........but I carn't see it.......DO IT, but post it as a project so we can see how it goes. It will be a hoot to punt 'round a cart track.

SHELRACING
9th March 2008, 19:19
We have several Pitbikes that have 140cc engines in them, and they race in with the buckets. The boys have played with wheel size and the best for the pitty is a 12" wheel and very soft scooter tyre. They are quite competitive.

We have also just put a 150cc Loncin pitbike motor in an FXR frame. The 150 Loncin is basd on the Honda GL145cc.

We are getting the cam redone as we have been told they are weak. May not be the fastest bike on the track, but it will be reliable.

I dont see that there should be any problem with the motor on the Shineray, but the frame is Chinese made, so may not last as long as you would hope for.

xwhatsit
9th March 2008, 19:49
We have also just put a 150cc Loncin pitbike motor in an FXR frame. The 150 Loncin is basd on the Honda GL145cc.

That's interesting. Would've thought the FXR motor would whip a GL145 mill? Or is it a case of the FXR motor self-destructing and the Loncin being a cheap replacement?

FROSTY
9th March 2008, 19:57
you could be hit with rule 24-2-4 if you start winning on it........but I carn't see it.......DO IT, but post it as a project so we can see how it goes. It will be a hoot to punt 'round a cart track.
Not arguing but I can't see how that applies :Oops:

ajturbo
9th March 2008, 20:01

have you been down here steeling fish's one??

he has been racing his since last year.. not too sure what frame, but he is FAST on it.. but then again he would be fast on a trike...
stock from what i remember...

nudemetalz
9th March 2008, 20:07
Yup Fi5hy's is stock, it's in a ZXR250 frame.
And yes he's fast alright.

Looking forward to getting our Loncin motor.

F5 Dave
10th March 2008, 09:38
Fishys bike is fast on the type of tracks we run where good spread is important & corner speed pretty king. It would be far less so on a long track & less so without him riding it. I've seen him go fast around Kiatoke on a borrowed stock CG125, naff tyres, next to no brakes, didn't seem to bother him.

ajturbo
10th March 2008, 18:43
Fishys bike is fast on the type of tracks we run where good spread is important & corner speed pretty king. It would be far less so on a long track & less so without him riding it. I've seen him go fast around Kiatoke on a borrowed stock CG125, naff tyres, next to no brakes, didn't seem to bother him.
but he was too scared to take Christine out....

Skunk
10th March 2008, 20:35
but he was too scared to take Christine out....
Too sensible more like.

FROSTY
12th March 2008, 16:25
Ok looking into this furthur.What sized front wheels do the 125 Gp guys run.
Im thinking that getting that sized wheel or rim is the way to go

Ivan
12th March 2008, 20:54
115/70/17 of the top of my head for rear
95/70/17 on front once againof the top of my head

Buddha#81
12th March 2008, 20:54

What wheels has it got now? I ran a 19" bt39 on a GPz550 in post classic's and it was pretty good......it would be a whole heap less grief than trying to fit up new wheels.

FROSTY
12th March 2008, 20:57
i think--lil narrow 21 inch

Buddha#81
12th March 2008, 21:10
some of the guys down here run 21's on dirt bikes for circuit racing so they must do a sticky 21"

nudemetalz
12th March 2008, 21:10

Well I have a TZR250 rear rim (2.5 x 17) if you require one.
This is the right size for a 115/70 slick (I think).

FROSTY
12th March 2008, 21:11
I thought a 17 would quicken the steering up a bit

Ivan
13th March 2008, 10:40
It would and Accelerate slightly better.
And how cool would it look on 17s

koba
21st March 2008, 21:31
Fuck pissing about, just nylon it up and take it out!
That will soon give you a good idea of what needs doing and what doesn't.

ajturbo
21st March 2008, 22:25
that reminds me.. i have to do that to my bike....

:first:

SHELRACING
30th March 2008, 00:06
That's interesting. Would've thought the FXR motor would whip a GL145 mill? Or is it a case of the FXR motor self-destructing and the Loncin being a cheap replacement?

yeah the FXR motor is completely stuffed. We wanted something reliable.
Sick of constant repairs between races.

SHELRACING
30th March 2008, 00:11
have you been down here steeling fish's one??

he has been racing his since last year.. not too sure what frame, but he is FAST on it.. but then again he would be fast on a trike...
stock from what i remember...

Hi AJ,
We got the idea off one of the boys from the Pacific Motorcycle Club. We were down at Taumaranui, last Labour weekend.
He came up for the GP as well, and did quite good on it. I think it's in an Aprilia frame.