PDA

View Full Version : Blade any probs?

slick
1st December 2004, 12:34
Going to look at a Blade at the weekend, anyone know of any 'known issues' that I should look out for? Any easy way of telling official NZ imports from grey imports? Are any restricted?

On top of the usual I will check fork seals, wheel bearings, consumables etc,

It's a '96 model with average mileage, no mods and sounds well looked after. Thanks for any help

sedge
1st December 2004, 13:08
Is it that one off trademe ?... heh heh... I already asked him if he wanted to trade a ZZR :)

slick
1st December 2004, 13:14
Yes it is the one off trademe, good price I reckon. I've said I'll take it subject to viewing and test ride. It's out near Hamilton, so i don't want to waste my time going to see it from AKL.

sedge
1st December 2004, 13:19
you're supposed to reply 'Nah, I had alook at the one on trademe and it was shit, wheels fell off it etc' ;)

I thought it was a good price too... not that I need another bike, but hey... something a little lighter and nimbler would be nice. My GSXR is OK, but it's a bit raw for an everyday bike. The ZZR is awesome... in its fatness. ah if only I could make it handle better... and get some ground clearance.

A blade would just hit the spot I reckon.

Sedge.

MrMelon
1st December 2004, 13:24
I reckon the ZZR would look good with an outboard! :D

Blackbird
1st December 2004, 14:24
The earlier ones tended to be a bit flighty under acceleration over bumps but that can be cured with a damper. Engines are typical Honda legendary build quality provided they've been looked after. The fuel injected ones (post 2001 I think) are hugely better than the carburetted ones. Performance Bikes magazine has done a comparison of the different models. Might not have it any more as it was a while back, but if I have, I'll PM you.

Cheers

Geoff

Jackrat
1st December 2004, 18:07
A good friend of mine bought one of the first Blades.
It was quite a revolutionary bike at the time(bloody exellent)
It did have one problem but.
He came over the brow of a hill at 160kms an a little old lady in a little old cage pulled out in front of him.

Not what you ment huh!! :whistle:

sedge
1st December 2004, 18:24
I'm gonna kick your arse MrMelon :)... Again !

I had a look at it today... ya know, from the back it does kind of look like it's got a fish tail :( and on the sides there's these little sort of flipper things... and it's got a mouth like a fish at the front... Aw crap... It IS a whale.

Heh heh... How about we skive off early from work and shoot up the Takas one day next week, show those blade riders the power of the mighty Kawasaki beasties.

New blade owners welcome of course.

Sedge.

MrMelon
1st December 2004, 19:05
I told you!

Sounds like a plan :D

Teflon
1st December 2004, 19:20
Should take it in for a compression test.

If it's still got a original regulator, should replace before it fucks out ( kawasaki one).

Rode a 95 blade not long ago, fuckin wicked.

sedge
1st December 2004, 19:31
I actually looked at a 97 blade just before I got the ZZR... was a damn good bike, light, good handling, just enough grunt, comfy, nicely put together... would have bought it if it didn't have 70ks on it already... (I do 30k a yr)

I don't think you can go wrong with one of these, I would get it checked out tho, compression check, look at the rotors and see how thin they are etc.

Good luck.

Sedge.

Two Smoker
1st December 2004, 19:33
I'm gonna kick your arse MrMelon :)... Again !

I had a look at it today... ya know, from the back it does kind of look like it's got a fish tail :( and on the sides there's these little sort of flipper things... and it's got a mouth like a fish at the front... Aw crap... It IS a whale.

Heh heh... How about we skive off early from work and shoot up the Takas one day next week, show those blade riders the power of the mighty Kawasaki beasties.

New blade owners welcome of course.

Sedge.
Do you mind if a slow GSX-R600 rider comes too???

Marmoot
2nd December 2004, 10:34
I got a 99 Blade.
Still ok and quick after 3 heavy crashes, so that must tell you something.
The only thing buggering me is the over-slacked chain rubbing against the sidestand......I need to tighten it up.....

Blackbird
2nd December 2004, 11:29
In the next edition of Ride Magazine which is out anytime now, there's a big article on Blades of every year, strenngths and weaknesses, performance and so on - saw it advertised in the current issue.

Geoff

hondav2
2nd December 2004, 19:40
Only prob with mine is I fell off in my drive way, bugger. Another prob is its real nice to ride over 140kmh. I got my faithfull VTR1000 for sale. Real tidy , only advertised it on K.B. Dont want to sell it but would let it go to a good home. Cheers Toddy

slick
2nd December 2004, 19:40
Should take it in for a compression test.

If it's still got a original regulator, should replace before it fucks out ( kawasaki one).

Rode a 95 blade not long ago, fuckin wicked.

Thanks for all the info guys, had various bikes over the years but never a blade, so just wanted to 'swot-up'

Teflon - is the regulator a weak link? Seller says battery was replaced recently due to very short trips to work (3 mins) sound reasonable? If it does need replacing which model kawasaki, is it an easy swap and what sort of money, could be a useful bargaining point?

Blackbird - Have you heard of a regulator issue with Blades/Hondas? Also got a recent copy of T.W.O mag from the UK which had a review of all the old blades, no particular faults mentioned.

Teflon
2nd December 2004, 20:52
Thanks for all the info guys, had various bikes over the years but never a blade, so just wanted to 'swot-up'

Teflon - is the regulator a weak link? Seller says battery was replaced recently due to very short trips to work (3 mins) sound reasonable? If it does need replacing which model kawasaki, is it an easy swap and what sort of money, could be a useful bargaining point?

Blackbird - Have you heard of a regulator issue with Blades/Hondas? Also got a recent copy of T.W.O mag from the UK which had a review of all the old blades, no particular faults mentioned.

Yeah it's a honda thing. The main problem with honda regulators is they have no cooling fins; they cook othem self. They might have rectified the problem in recent years, not sure.

You could try a honda aftermarket reg, peace of piss to wire, if your colourblind then there might be problem.

enigma51
3rd December 2004, 14:33
The main problem with a Blade is that they dont come with spare demirit points.

MD
3rd December 2004, 20:16
Blade any probs?
Wash your mouth out and five Hail Marys wouldn't do you any harm.
Spoken with a few other Blade owners over the years and never heard a bad word. But that might be because of the secret Honda sect sworn to castrate anyone who fesses up the truth.

Velox
3rd December 2004, 22:28
Wash your mouth out and five Hail Marys wouldn't do you any harm.
Spoken with a few other Blade owners over the years and never heard a bad word. But that might be because of the secret Honda sect sworn to castrate anyone who fesses up the truth.
How come you're not down on the "Dash" this time Mark?

MD
4th December 2004, 19:15
How come you're not down on the "Dash" this time Mark?
Oh yeah the "Dash" was tempting, especially after our Labour weekend Sth island trip. But reality kicks in sometimes with work commitments, no time off work left anyway and I'm trying to finish off painting the house before Christmas - so I can kick back, ride, drink beer and enjoy time with the kids guilt free of house stuff!
Besides its probably cold and wet down deep deep south. Nah, hope they're all having a ball in the sun.
Good to chat to you today Velox. Don't leave that chain too long in that state.
ps- next time let me know if you want to take my bike for a careful ride.
MD

WINJA
4th December 2004, 19:44
Going to look at a Blade at the weekend, anyone know of any 'known issues' that I should look out for? Any easy way of telling official NZ imports from grey imports? Are any restricted?

On top of the usual I will check fork seals, wheel bearings, consumables etc,

It's a '96 model with average mileage, no mods and sounds well looked after. Thanks for any help
I HAD ONE OF THOSE, GOOD BIKE .THE CLUTCH BASKETS CAN GET REALLY RATTLY THE ENGINES GO FOR EVER AS THEY ARE VERY UNDERPOWERED AS YOULL FIND OUT WHEN YOU LINE UP A 96 GSXR750, IF YOU CAN GET A 96 GSXR750 FOR THE SAME PRICE IT WILL BE A BETTER BIKE. MIGHT BE A BIT HARD TO GET GOOD 16" RUBBER THESE DAYS I PUT AN NC30 17" FRONT WHEEL ON MINE

Velox
4th December 2004, 21:55
Good to chat to you today Velox. Don't leave that chain too long in that state.
Yeah - I'll tighten it tomorrow, but I'm about to head out tonight so if I don't log on in the next few days you'll know that it's snapped, whipped through the engine and busted it in half, leaving little bits of bike and rider all over Wgtn. Actually that's more disturbing than amusing.

ps- next time let me know if you want to take my bike for a careful ride.
:2thumbsup That would be awesome mate! Believe me - I'm paranoid about other people's bikes so I'm always real careful when I ride them (which means I can't test what they can do unfortunately!)