PDA

View Full Version : fark, what a shit weather today....

Richard Tse
16th August 2003, 17:47
:angry2:
:gob:

anyone went out today? i just come back, all wet shit!!!

wkid_one
16th August 2003, 17:52
I did Richard - remember there is more to NZ than Auckland - Wellington weather was superb

andy1
16th August 2003, 17:59
yea i did, weather was crap! heaps of sliding but all good.

where did u go for a ride ric?

SpankMe
16th August 2003, 18:22
There was blue skies when I went down to the Bombays this morning. :) Turned crap after I got back. :(

Richard Tse
16th August 2003, 18:57
haha...sounds bad buddy! i went to East Howick for spin, but it just turned out bad finally, I should go a bit earlier before noon. i ride so safe, cauz' wet surface makes me feel uncomfortable. Anyway, i seldom ride in the rain. :niceone:

:gob: BE CAREFUL GUYS

Kiwi
16th August 2003, 19:36
got just back - wet a....

Kiwi

:argh:

MikeL
16th August 2003, 21:03
Went for a couple of short rides today. Brilliant sunshine one minute, pissing down the next. Doncha just love the unpredictability of Auckland's weather??!!

Tomorrow it's the Coromandel loop with Ulysses. Should be interesting if it's (a) blowing a gale (b) pouring down (c) freezing cold. All 3 probably.

Question: why do I do this when it would be much more sensible to stay at home in front of the fire watching a DVD???

Richard Tse
16th August 2003, 23:55
It's great to stay with couple bottle beer watching DVD (fast n furious) ...

By the way, Where u guys usually go cornering? got any place good and safe to share???( i mean in Auckland.)

SPman
17th August 2003, 15:28
From your neck of the woods - how about whitford-Clevedon-Monument Rd to Hunua-Mangatawhiri-Kaiaua-Clevedon-Maraitai. Or, for a longer trip - the Coromandel loop or Kopu -Hikuai and back, or to Raglan via Clevedon-Hunua-Bombay-Pukekohe-Tuakau-Waingaro

Or...anywhere really  :niceone:

SPman
17th August 2003, 15:32
The road into Bombay over the hills is brilliant

NZred
17th August 2003, 19:59
Originally posted by MikeL

Tomorrow it's the Coromandel loop with Ulysses. Should be interesting if it's (a) blowing a gale (b) pouring down (c) freezing cold. All 3 probably.

Question: why do I do this when it would be much more sensible to stay at home in front of the fire watching a DVD???

:argh: [/B]

Was a good ride,.. If ya like rain and HAIL ..  Whangamata was lunch,.. slight change of plans ..  :niceone:

MikeL
17th August 2003, 20:36
Originally posted by NZred
Was a good ride,.. If ya like rain and HAIL ..  Whangamata was lunch,.. slight change of plans ..  :niceone:

Hail?? There was plenty of rain (and wind) but I didn't get hail. Must have been after Whangamata - I headed home on my own after lunch, went back through Kopu then Miranda. Rained on and off most of the way...
But still a good ride.
BTW further to what I wrote last week about cops in Northland, same thing today: between 8:30 a.m., leaving Auckland, and 3:00 p.m. arriving home, I only saw one cop, and he didn't count because he was on points duty at the new Puhinui Rd intersection near the airport. Where have they all gone? Or is it just me? Perhaps I emanate some invisible aura (or odour) that repels them - like garlic does to vampires :p

wkid_one
17th August 2003, 20:43
Missed a superb day in Wellington - quick jaunt over the hill to Martinborough then back to watch the Motocross at the Race Course....

Lam
17th August 2003, 23:24
To avoid wet day, you need this bike, it is just perfect.:cool:

Duke of Rogan
20th August 2003, 09:56
another great Auckland day today, but I still rode to work! :niceone:

and I was glad to see others doing the same (spotted atleast 6 bikes in my dash to the city)

I was dry when I got off, and didnt need one of those types of 2-wheeled transport devices with sail attached (just some good gear)

my gloves are now drying above someone else's PC monitor :p

jrandom
20th August 2003, 10:43
Originally posted by Duke of Rogan
my gloves are now drying above someone else's PC monitor :p

Join the club mate :p

fergie
20th August 2003, 11:28
SP MAN

where did you find a map like that? is it an online version?

been looooking for something like that for awhile.

cheers

ferg

MikeL
20th August 2003, 11:48
Even in the shittiest weather (i.e. every second day in Auckland) I also see several bikes on my way to work.
Got here relatively dry thanks to a waterproof Teknik jacket and some cheap plastic pants over my leather trou. Main problem is gloves - must investigate waterproofing or replacement. I bet your day didn't start off as inauspiciously as mine. Did something stupid even though I should have known better. Got off my bike to close the gate behind me (as I do every day) and am usually careful to check the side stand is securely down and not moving, but this time for some reason (a gust of wind combined with the slippery wet concrete?) disaster struck and as I closed the gate behind me I heard the sickening sound of metal hitting concrete. :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:
My pride and joy, immaculate, pristine, as new, not a scratch on it etc. etc. etc. will never be the same again.
:(
Damage: broken clutch lever, bent bar end, scratched engine cover. Could have been worse I suppose. In to Colemans tomorrow morning for repairs.

Now how can my day get any worse???

Duke of Rogan
20th August 2003, 12:03
bugger, bad luck man.

jrandom
20th August 2003, 12:41
Originally posted by MikeL
Even in the shittiest weather (i.e. every second day in Auckland) I also see several bikes on my way to work.

Yo yo yo, wet-weather riders represent! :Punk:

Gawd, but the motorways are fecking *crawling* with cops today. Had a funny incident on the way in with a cop driving some weird little 'ambulance'-marked station wagon but I can't be arsed describing it. Suffice to say I didn't see the uniform in the driver's seat before I filtered past at high speed... I think I pissed him off a bit... :Oops:

Took some time out this morning to pick up a package from Mt Wellington. Yuck. Riding the round trip from Northcote was bloody unpleasant in that traffic and weather.

Got here relatively dry thanks to a waterproof Teknik jacket and some cheap plastic pants over my leather trou. Main problem is gloves - must investigate waterproofing or replacement.

Same problem here, was wearing leather Teknic gloves all summer. When winter started I realised the error of my ways, went by Motomail on the way home one night, bought a pair of waterproof Spidis ($170 IIRC) with some polyprop gloves to go underneath. Hands stay (reasonably) warm and dry now :niceone:

sickening sound of metal hitting concrete... Now how can my day get any worse???

Oooooh, what a bastard, sympathies mate. Beats getting run over by a Landcruiser or summat, I guess. Look on the bright side and call that your crash for the year... now you can ride like a cnut for another 11 months without worrying :p

Coldkiwi
20th August 2003, 13:23
aye.. woeful weather but it's never so bad I can't leave my gear out under an airconditioning grille (gloves go on top of the zip water heater... BEAURTIFUL!) and have reasonably dry gear for the way home.. even if it snowed I'd rather bike than bus!

bugger about the bike Mike! hope you get it all back shiny and new without too much $$ outlay. Could you pick it up ok?

Duke of Rogan
20th August 2003, 13:31
Originally posted by jrandom
Gawd, but the motorways are fecking *crawling* with cops today.

yeah, heaps on the Northern this morn. I managed to spot one just in time as I was "failing to ride within my lane"
a bit further up the road there were 2 cop cars stopped in the bus lane for an nose-to-tail or breakdown, so I kept crusing down the very right for a bit and noticed one giving me the stare:whocares:

MikeL
20th August 2003, 15:19
Originally posted by Coldkiwi

bugger about the bike Mike! hope you get it all back shiny and new without too much $$ outlay. Could you pick it up ok?

No idea how much I'll pay. Shouldn't be that much for a couple of bits of metal, surely???

No problem picking the bike up. Just called the wife out of bed (remember this was at 7:15 a.m.) in the pouring rain... Easy with two. :p

bikerboy
20th August 2003, 15:29
The cops always look funny at you/us, has something to do with having such a crap job and knowing everyone going by is thinking bastards!:D

You are a lucky man MikeL, getting helped like that she's a keeper. Don't screw it up.:cool:

As for wet hands, Hey Nicko, how are yours going?:rolleyes:

Richard Tse
20th August 2003, 17:59
:rockon:

normally I ride three days each week, two in weekend. i enjoy ever single moment on the bike, i feel sad as the bad weather come.

SPman
20th August 2003, 18:50
Hey DoR, I thought it might have been you, one of "our officers" had pulled over this morning before Onewa, but it was some poor sod on a red TL1000S.

Barstards - hope he got wet!

SPman
20th August 2003, 18:53
Originally posted by fergie
SP MAN

where did you find a map like that? is it an online version?

been looooking for something like that for awhile.

cheers

ferg

Nah. its just a Shell road map I put on the scanner, then play with (draw on, edit etc)

aff-man
21st August 2003, 09:06
Bloody wet today as well although in my bike kbc cordura stuff the wind is more of a problem. I found my self(or the bike rather) slowly sliding(aquaplaning almost) sideways when riding with a decidly strong crosswind. This is a combination with brand new cordura which has started leaking and the crappy state of the roads made for an interesting ride into tech.:argh: :beer:  Still i suppose it you don't cock-up in the wet you surely have a better chance of not doing it in the dry. i hope:D

MikeL
21st August 2003, 10:34
Bloody miserable. I might almost have been tempted to take the car to work today except that I had to bring the bike in to Colemans for repairs after my stupid accident yesterday. $27 for new clutch lever, other parts have to be ordered in but should be all fixed tomorrow. I'm hoping for an improvement in the weather by the weekend, but it looks unlikely to be fine and dry... :(

Coldkiwi
21st August 2003, 12:44
yesterdays riding was bad.. todays was worse! Rain didn't even think of easing and the wind just blew like a bastard the whole way. One of the cyclists in our office just laughed when I walked in looking like a drowned rat! even the feet got wet today.

as SPmans avatar said quite a few times... ARSE! FECK!

aff-man
21st August 2003, 13:33
Okey wet gear is starting to smell grrrrrrrrrrrrr :argh::argh::beer::beer:

jrandom
21st August 2003, 14:59
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
yesterdays riding was bad.. todays was worse! Rain didn't even think of easing and the wind just blew like a bastard the whole way. One of the cyclists in our office just laughed when I walked in looking like a drowned rat! even the feet got wet today.

as SPmans avatar said quite a few times... ARSE! FECK!

Yep. I didn't even have the heart for my usual filtering antics this morning. Just sat miserably in the traffic getting rained on all the way in. Got blown sideways a couple of times coming across the northwestern causeway.

Found a couple of stick-on windscreen-mount sucker cups to use as impromptu glass-mounted coat hooks; my gear is now decorating one of the windows under an aircon outlet :D

Looks like it might be a bit drier on the way home tonight, though.

Roll on summer!

Redstar
22nd August 2003, 22:40
~I like the rain! :niceone:

aff-man
22nd August 2003, 22:57
YOU ARE A MADMAN :rockon: The only good thing i can say about the rain (which can be a bad thing) is that it can be quite fun drifting the back out a bit round corners other than that rain is only a madman's playground :done:

merv
14th September 2003, 09:47
Wellington's turn for shit weather today. Oh well I'll get on with working on the house. It was meant to be the Ulysses ride today and every month when it comes round in the last few I'm either busy or the weather is shit. They'll be thinking I've departed the planet.

bungbung
15th September 2003, 08:39
Shit weather in Welli - I decided against riding to the Wairarapa for the B.E.A.R.S drags and drove instead. Blustery arse wind all day long. Poor fella behind me on the Rimutuka Hill riding a red gixxer, big gust of wind and now he's in the other lane all wobbling about near the fence. He'll be wanting new undies...

Duke of Rogan
15th September 2003, 08:43
what d'ya know, its Monday and the weathers looking good :angry2:

if there is a god, she/he/it must be unemployed....

MikeL
15th September 2003, 08:53
But yesterday wasn't all that bad. Got in a good ride down to Thames with only a bit of rain and lots of sunshine. The wind along the straight stretch to Kopu was a bit fierce but compared to the Rimutakas...:D
Back to Auckland and grey skies and dark clouds. And of course Monday morning brings sunshine again. But the whole week is looking pretty patchy. Who cares as long as the weekend's O.K. But even if it isn't, I'm not too worried, because I've got TWO WEEKS HOLIDAY coming up.

:niceone:

Firefight
15th September 2003, 10:32
Hey Duke, did you ever think that this God you refer to may have been a shift worker ??, stink I missed the weekend :argh:
but after 2 night I'am on 4 days off :niceone: , ye hah

cheers firefight:rockon:

SpankMe
23rd November 2003, 13:38
Another shite weather day. :argh:

Went out on the bike once to get some snacky foods, then back to watch Two Towers extended on DVD :)

SPman
23rd November 2003, 14:28
Its not that bad! - went out for a quick 140km aroundabout ride and coffee in town and only got slightly damp.

MikeL
23rd November 2003, 18:20

I've just spent the whole weekend working - editing a video. Managed to get out for a ride yesterday afternoon about 2, just to clear out the cobwebs, but got slightly damp coming back. Today I didn't even consider it. At least I got my video finished, but it sure feels strange - a Sunday without riding!

Lou Girardin
24th November 2003, 07:04
Mike L, If you bottle that cop repellant you have, I'll take a case. Does it repel anything else?
Lou

MikeL
24th November 2003, 08:36
If I knew the recipe I'd make a fortune. All I can think of is:
* riding a bike that doesn't attract attention (i.e. not a sports bike)
* luck

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for speed cameras...

idb
26th October 2007, 22:30
It's come right now though.

xwhatsit
26th October 2007, 23:19
Only took a bit less than four years.

Skyryder
27th October 2007, 20:32
It's come right now though.

"W'ere yu bin mon." On the happy baccy and you've run out.

Skyrydere

idb
27th October 2007, 20:54
"W'ere yu bin mon." On the happy baccy and you've run out.

Skyrydere

I saw a thread with a frowny heading and wondered if things were still bad.