PDA

View Full Version : From OZ to NZ... We ain't in Kansas anymore!

ValkRider
10th March 2008, 01:21
Hello friends!

My name is Darren, my wife Cheryl and I are from Kansas back here in the States. We don't have a little dog named Toto, but we do have a cat named Yoda.

We are flying into Auckland April 3rd and plan to see as much of NZ as possible. As you probably have figured I ride a Honda Valkyrie... she's a beauty... but she's staying home in the garage.

I am trying to gather some information on renting, or as you all say "hire" a bike while on our vacation. I have contacted a few rental companies, matter of fact, Ian Fitzwater from GOTOURNZ.COM should be calling me later today to possibly help put something together for us.

We are looking at renting any wheres from a single day to possibly a week. If I was going by myself I would ride a bike my entire visit, but my wife is a good passenger and great company... but probably wouldn't enjoy that much time on a pillion seat.

So, I am wanting to get something like a Goldwing so she can be comfortable as possible.

Another concern is the weather conditions for early April. I wouldn't want her to get cold and uncomfortable while on our vacation - Just trying to keep the momma happy if you know what I mean!

Our plan is to fly into Auckland spend the day and night there and head out the next day driving south and taking plenty of stops to see and visit. Eventually we would make it to Milford Sound then to Queenstown to fly back north to Auckland to catch our flight back to the USA.

I found a couple places that will hire us a bike in Auckland and let us drop it off at Christchurch or Nelson... that might be good for about half our trip, then we could hire a car for the rest of the vacation.

Another place had a 3-day Northland Self-Guided Tour starting in Auckland and heading north then back to Auckland where we would hire a car to begin our adventure down southward.

So, I guess I would appreciate any information, suggestions, hospitality you may want to share from one biker to another.

Thanks in advance!

Darren

Edbear
10th March 2008, 06:56
You're probably on the right track re: hiring a bike, although there may be some here who can offer suggestions.

If you're heading North from Auckland we're just at the end of the motorway, (freeway), and you would be welcome to pop in for a coffee either going or coming, just PM me closer to the time.

All the best with your plans!

tri boy
10th March 2008, 08:16
Welcome ValkRider. Hope you have an awesome time in NZ.
April shouldn't be too cold for the trip. Most kiwi riders are happily cruising around at that time of year. (some times, it can be one of the more settled times in the year).
Try and get a copy of the NZ m/cycle atlas, so you can plan a scenic ride, (plus ask heaps of Q's here)
:cool:

pete376403
10th March 2008, 08:18
It will be great to have you here but PLEASE note - we ride (and drive) on the wrong side of the road here (in your terms)

Too many people get taken out when a tourist looses concentration and moves over to where they "think" they should be.

a "KEEP LEFT" notice on the speedo should be mandatory in rental vehicles.

ValkRider
10th March 2008, 17:10
Thanks for the suggestions! I am used to riding on the wrong side of the road... especially after a few too many drinks!:drinkup:

I did speak with Ian from GOTOURNZ and he spent about an hour with us on the phone. He really suggested us getting to the South Island for the best scenery and bike riding, spending just a few days in the North Island.

I am considering hiring a car for the first few days while in NZ as we travel south. Then once in Nelson, pick up a Goldwing from GOTOURNZ. From there Ian has a pre-planned route with suggested places to sight see and activities to do, with each night ending at nice Bed and Breakfast. With this route covering a large portion of the South Island it gives us about 10 or 11 days on a bike. According to Ian this route allows for about an average of 4 hours daily bike riding.

This 11 Day Self Guided Tour on a 2007 GoldWing would cost us about $8750NZ (includes bike, riding gear, accommodations, breakfasts, detailed itenarary with maps, road service) other meals and activities would be on us.

Thoughts or further suggestions?
Anyone have experience with Ian or GOTOURNZ.COM/

Thanks again for your support and input... truly would like to meet some of you Kiwi's while venturing about your backyard!

Darren

Dances With Poultry
10th March 2008, 18:04
I have a mate who works for him, and he has lots of good things to say. So that's from the inside, so to speak.
South Island has the spectacular, "in your face" scenery, but don't discount the North Island. It has it's charms.

My advice is get thee south ASAP as the winter comes from that way. At that time of the year it's also the best time the see the autumn colours, (that's "fall colors" in seppo-speak) especially around Central Otago. Stop in at the Vulcan Hotel and have a cold one for me.

Kind regards

Nigel in Rangiora

ValkRider
10th March 2008, 18:19
Nigel,

Thanks for the "inside" scoop!
What sorta weather do you suppose I should expect in early April in the south?

Darren

Dances With Poultry
10th March 2008, 18:31
At that time of the year, mate, expect every kind of weather. It's usually wetter near the coast and in the south. The West Coast has some of the highest rainfall averages in the world. How does more than an inch a day sound to you? That's further south than the roads go, but you can get the general idea. Bring rain gear for the coast road down to Haast, then take it off when you pop east over the Haast Pass into some of the lowest rainfall averages in NZ! That's one of the joys of traveling in NZ. So many different climates and topographies in a very short distances.
Temperature? Well, it's going to be cool at nights, but the days can be hot, or if the wicked southerly blows, in single figures (that's degrees C BTW). More good days then bad at that time of the year. The Pillion-in-a-Million and I were down that way last year at the same time and, honest to god, it felt like were we in an expensive travel documentary!

Kind regards

Nigel in Rangiora

fredie
11th March 2008, 00:01
follow the yellow brick road:clap:are in aussie now:whistle:

ValkRider
11th March 2008, 00:50
I'll gladly trade you three "munchkins" for a pair of hobbits!

fredie
15th March 2008, 02:11
hobbits are not in australia . only yowies:eek::laugh:

Swoop
15th March 2008, 20:11
This 11 Day Self Guided Tour on a 2007 GoldWing would cost us about $8750NZ (includes bike, riding gear, accommodations, breakfasts, detailed itenarary with maps, road service) other meals and activities would be on us.
To me, that looks like a good price!
At some stage of your journey you will be in need of a raincoat, while the opposite will also apply with suntan lotion. Possibly a sweater for the mornings, but otherwise it will still be reasonably comfortable temperature wise. The winter weather starts to take hold at the end of May.

Enjoy your time here, and take plenty of photo's!:cool:

karla
15th March 2008, 21:29
Hi Darren and Mrs Darren - I was in Kansas last summer - hope you have as enjoyable time as I did over there, and meet as many equally friendly people here. We drove (cage) first day from KC in Missouri thru to Colorado - Kansas really is a flat as a pancake! Expect a few more hills and corners in NZ. :)

Our weather won't be as extreme, but it may be getting a little cooler by then so have your polar fleeces handy. I think April is a great time (the best) to travel in NZ - there won't be so many tourists on the roads in the South at that time of the year and people will be more relaxed / have more time to chat etc.

I'd suggest that you plan your trip down the coast (Franz and Fox Glaciers, Wanaka and Queenstown) around petrol stops as there can be a bit of distance between them and some isolated roads. If you've got time include Milford, it is apsolutely breathtaking. Get a bottle of insect repellent (Dimp is a good one) for the coast. If it's raining there will be some great waterfalls, so look at the positive. If it's raining on the West Coast the East Coast will generally be fine.

I'm in Christchurch - there's not a lot tourist-wise to see here in the city (the Antartic Center and Tamaki Village?) but there are some lovely places nearby - Kaikoura for crayfish (Kai is Maori for food) whale watching and seals, hot pools at Hamner and cute French settlement at Akaroa.

Feel free to email if you have any questions - I'm pretty new to bikes but have been in tourism for a lifetime :)

ValkRider
17th March 2008, 13:35
Hi Darren and Mrs Darren - I was in Kansas last summer - hope you have as enjoyable time as I did over there, and meet as many equally friendly people here. We drove (cage) first day from KC in Missouri thru to Colorado - Kansas really is a flat as a pancake! Expect a few more hills and corners in NZ. :)

Our weather won't be as extreme, but it may be getting a little cooler by then so have your polar fleeces handy. I think April is a great time (the best) to travel in NZ - there won't be so many tourists on the roads in the South at that time of the year and people will be more relaxed / have more time to chat etc.

I'd suggest that you plan your trip down the coast (Franz and Fox Glaciers, Wanaka and Queenstown) around petrol stops as there can be a bit of distance between them and some isolated roads. If you've got time include Milford, it is apsolutely breathtaking. Get a bottle of insect repellent (Dimp is a good one) for the coast. If it's raining there will be some great waterfalls, so look at the positive. If it's raining on the West Coast the East Coast will generally be fine.

I'm in Christchurch - there's not a lot tourist-wise to see here in the city (the Antartic Center and Tamaki Village?) but there are some lovely places nearby - Kaikoura for crayfish (Kai is Maori for food) whale watching and seals, hot pools at Hamner and cute French settlement at Akaroa.

Feel free to email if you have any questions - I'm pretty new to bikes but have been in tourism for a lifetime :)

Ian has planned us a very thorough route thru all those locations... needless to say we are STOKED! :banana:

We will be layering our clothes, and are prepared for the rain.
The Goldwing has heated grips, saddles and backrests for those chilly mornings!

Kansas is just plain old flat lands. I can put two years of riding on my bike tires.... the center tread will be worn thin... but the sidewall tread looks new!
I have ridden the Rocky Mountains, Grand Titons, Ozark Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains here in the US on my bikes... so I am ready for some REAL riding!

Thanks!

Darren

Banesto John
22nd March 2008, 11:49
You noted on my other thread that it is good to work on your own bike when it has issues. Amen to that. I find that washing the car by hand lets be see most things that might be about to go wrong, preventative maintenance, as it were.

Anyways, the West Coast down south loop is a stunner, having just done it last week. I lived in the North Island for 20 or so years, and it is beautiful too, but you can't go past the lower traffic volumes and stunning scenery down here.

Get in touch when you are nearing Christchurch, it would be nice to stop and have a chat with some travellers.

Ka Kite (see you soon):sunny:

oldrider
26th March 2008, 20:52
Drought drought drought, it's gonna rain some soon, (everywhere) hope you are not unlucky! :doh:

Have a good trip. :niceone: Cheers John.

forkoil
31st March 2008, 13:51
You are paying around $850 per day!! Maybe I'm a bit tight arsed, but fark, that sounds alot to me. Accom would account for maybe $150 if good motel style, breakfast maybe $20 (for 2), and the rest is bike hire ($700!!) = Insurance, depreciation, and business costs. say $150 for business, leaving $480 for ins and depreciation. Say Lead Wing costs $35K, and insurance costs $500 for the 11 days (no doubt a hefty excess if you bin it), that makes a depreciation of $35000 div by $435 = 80 days continuous to pay it off. Doesnt sound a bad investment for the tour company.
Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon but man I wouldnt be keen to pay that... sorry dont wanna pour cold water and all that

shafty
31st March 2008, 15:37
Don't worry about the dollars Mate, you'll have a BALL, some of the worlds best riding is right here waiting for ya. Be prepared for much tighter roads, but the 'Wing is a great choice for your Lady and you'll be perfectly comfortable in April. I did a 4 month Goldwing Tour Stateside a few years back and loved it - bought a brand new bike and Escapade trailer and sold it when I left. I did a pile pile of dough but don't regret a moment of it!!

Radar
2nd April 2008, 08:35
You are paying around $850 per day!! Maybe I'm a bit tight arsed, but fark, that sounds alot to me. Accom would account for maybe $150 if good motel style, breakfast maybe $20 (for 2), and the rest is bike hire ($700!!) = Insurance, depreciation, and business costs. say $150 for business, leaving $480 for ins and depreciation. Say Lead Wing costs $35K, and insurance costs $500 for the 11 days (no doubt a hefty excess if you bin it), that makes a depreciation of $35000 div by $435 = 80 days continuous to pay it off. Doesnt sound a bad investment for the tour company.
Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon but man I wouldnt be keen to pay that... sorry dont wanna pour cold water and all that

$850 per day!! That IS a lot, but if you have the $$$ and don't mind spending then go ahead. I guess you have to do this because I think you want to take the bike one way from Auckland to Chch, then fly back to AKL and get a car.

BTW, I thought people from Kansas never ever left Kansas and certainly did not travel internationally. Glad to see you are an exception but your friends in pancake flatland must think you are crazy.

Beemer
9th April 2008, 12:21
We had Darren and Cheryl to stay last night and reluctantly farewelled them this morning. They are a lovely and very down to earth couple whose company we enjoyed very much. If you get the chance to catch up with them during their stay, do so.

They were heading to Wellington to catch a plane to Nelson where they pick up the bike. Here's hoping the remainder of their stay is enjoyable and the weather stays fine for them.

MyGSXF
9th April 2008, 18:35
They were heading to Wellington to catch a plane to Nelson where they pick up the bike

Hiya.. were they heading to Nelson today?? or tomorrow?? :wait:

Beemer
10th April 2008, 23:43
Hiya.. were they heading to Nelson today?? or tomorrow?? :wait:

They left our place in Levin on Wednesday morning (April 9) and I think their plane left at 4pm from Wellington. Not sure exactly when they were picking up the bike though.

scumdog
10th April 2008, 23:48
I'll gladly trade you three "munchkins" for a pair of hobbits!

Bugger the 'munchkins'!!
For a short while I was living in Scott City in '01, at the Circle 'C' ranch (Ted was the bosses name) and loved the area and would love to go back.

PM me if you want to know more about touring in NZ.

Beemer
11th April 2008, 12:41
They gave us some delicious barbecue sauces and rubs when they stayed with us and we opened one last night - Gates barbecue sauce - oh my god, we have never tasted anything so bloody gorgeous! Forget chicken, for the next month I'm planning meals of steak, sausages and anything that goes with this sauce!

ValkRider
13th April 2008, 08:59
Hello Kiwis!

This morning we leave Wanaka for Lake TeAnu (? spelling) Weather has been a blessing... each morning I expect rain... each morning we are greeted with Mr. Sun!
Roads are perfect for riding... however you ride much faster than I. Not being used to mountainous riding... but I open the 1800cc up on the straight aways!

I managed to blow my knee out three days into our holiday... a combo of old knees, bending for splendid photos ops and driving in a tiny Ford Focus.

The knee is stablizied in a small brace... but allows me to ride the bike and walk fine... using caution with walking however.

Also Cheryl's father suffered a broken leg and now a heart attack... she is torn between staying and flying home. He is doing better and will have heart surgery in a couple days.

However, we did a jet boat ride on the Waitoto river and Roger took us out to open sea, the Tasman.... which he says he RARELY ever attempts. The tide was high and sea was calm... then a special moment occurred. Hector dolphins... a pod of six or more... came to play with us.

We took this a sign from above... you see as we riding we stopped for a quick photo and prayer at a tiny church at the base of the mountain range... Cheryl had asked for a sign to let her know that her dad would fair well.

Cheryls dad has a nickname the Tasmanian Devil (for his red hair)... so we were a float in the Tasman Sea and the dolphins appeared as if to say... look at us "we have no worries".

Thank you dolphins.

Back to biking... we have seen a few bikers... too damn fast to catch though.
Gotta go see you soon... we are at in lake Tenau for two days... tonight and tomorrow!

Darren

Drew
13th April 2008, 09:29
Great country down there man. Watch out for the cops in Twizel though, THEY ARE WANKERS! Have fun, and carry on through to Cromwell then Alexandra for what I think is the best road in the entire country.;

Have fun:cool:

karla
13th April 2008, 11:02
Back to biking... we have seen a few bikers... too damn fast to catch though.
Gotta go see you soon... we are at in lake Tenau for two days... tonight and tomorrow!

Darren

Awesome stuff, and good to hear the weather God is shining on you.
The other lakes - Lake Tekapo and Lake Pukaki are glorious also, with their glacial stoney blue-white colouring, and there is a lovely old stone church (Church of the Good Shepard) in Tekapo which I think is worth a peek in the door.

Sometimes have to travel a bit slower and stop to take in the scenery - we don't quite have the distances to ride through that you do in Kansas. But the Canterbury plains are probably more like what you are used to, if you're feeling homesick :). The inland route from Geraldine to Chch is quite scenic if you're looking at keeping away from the traffic.

Thanks for the update!

Beemer
13th April 2008, 13:04
Here's hoping Cheryl's dad is improving day by day, I really felt for her when she got the news he wasn't in the best of health. Glad the dolphins I ordered came through, lol!

I'm really pleased you're enjoying the South Island - but then we knew you would, it's a really magical place. Wish you could have stayed longer with us, but you're always welcome to come back at any time, as are any friends of yours that visit NZ.

Take care for the rest of your trip and keep in touch.

chrisso
14th April 2008, 18:24
It will be great to have you here but PLEASE note - we ride (and drive) on the wrong side of the road here (in your terms)

Too many people get taken out when a tourist looses concentration and moves over to where they "think" they should be.

a "KEEP LEFT" notice on the speedo should be mandatory in rental vehicles.

What a GOOD idea!!!! follow it up!!!

karla
14th April 2008, 19:23
What a GOOD idea!!!! follow it up!!!

The V-Strom I saw recently that was hired from Nelson had "keep left" stickers on it - they're already onto it :)

H00dz
14th April 2008, 19:56
Welcome !!!!

Dont forget to Come North !!! thats where all the corners are LOL

Ride Safe and ENJOY GODZONE :headbang:

smitty
16th April 2008, 15:18
Welcome !!!!

Dont forget to Come North !!! thats where all the corners are LOL

Ride Safe and ENJOY GODZONE :headbang:

And warmer weather. You getting cold down south yet?

karla
16th April 2008, 19:06
And warmer weather. You getting cold down south yet?

Nah, we're not cold, we're tough down here :cold:

11 / 12 cf with your 19 / 21, today.

ValkRider
25th April 2008, 19:54
NZ is beautiful. Cheryl and I arrived home safely on Sunday evening (20/4/8) after an enchanting holiday in your country. Of all the people we met there were only three that we really didn't care to see again. Oh, they were americans by the way.:sick:

I had the opportunity to talk briefly to a few local bikers stopping for an occassional latte... all were nice and accommodating. One almost created a domino effect when his Triumph started to fall into my Goldwing, but I caught in time!:yes:

The only local KiwiBikers we met were Beemer and her husband, errr... Mr. Beemer. They kept us comfy in there home in Levin and we had a great time... only wish we had time to have stayed longer and rode bikes together. But hey, we need a reason to come back to do all the stuff we couldn't do the first time right.

If we can ever return the hospitality for any visiting Kiwi's... give us a ring!

Darren

Beemer
27th April 2008, 11:57
Darren, you and Cheryl know you are welcome at our place any time you head back to NZ! We loved having you both to stay and just wish it could have been for a longer time. You may not have been able to go riding with us, but at least you got the chance to put together our new dining table - not something everyone gets to do! (Although two more people could have experienced this due to the fact we've had a bad run of poor quality tables that have been replaced!)

We're glad you did make the time to call in and stay the night and Andy and I have fond thoughts of you every time we taste those incredible sauces you gave us! Although thinking of you both and associating you with something hot and spicy may sound a little odd!

Come back soon - next time we'll have a barbecue so you can bring the bottle - of sauce, that is!