PDA

View Full Version : Be in to win one of five advanced motorcyclist courses or one of five $50 vouchers.

Safe biking
10th March 2008, 08:41
Auckland City Council wants to keep motorcyclists safe.
Be in to win one of five advanced motorcyclist courses or one of five $50 vouchers to spend at Mt Eden Motorcycles.

Have a look at our practical safety tips at
http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/roadsafety
and enter our online competition.

The training course includes a theory evening, one day on the track and a membership to the Auckland Motorcycle Club for the rest of the financial year. Auckland City Council wants motorcyclists to feel safe when out on the road, join us in spreading the word on motorcycle safety!

Nagash
10th March 2008, 09:08
Link doesn't work,

But now i'm impressed. Two oppourtunities for motorcyclists.

'On ya.

Steam
10th March 2008, 09:16
Link doesn't work,
But now i'm impressed. Two oppourtunities for motorcyclists.

What do you mean by Two Opportunities? This is the same competition they already posted in this forum on Tuesday last week.

Nagash
10th March 2008, 09:19
Well.. they have the course and now the added $50 vouchers.

I'm sure that wasn't there before.

Steam
10th March 2008, 09:21
It's in their other post too, but you are right, I didn't see that before either. That's good, because new bikers not eligible for the training course will be inspired to enter too.

WasPhantom
10th March 2008, 12:51
It's about time a local govt body got around to being a bit more proactive about such things. It's always interested me seeing local govt bodies getting involved in Australia, pleased to see it here too.

Finn
10th March 2008, 13:18
It's about time a local govt body got around to being a bit more proactive about such things. It's always interested me seeing local govt bodies getting involved in Australia, pleased to see it here too.

But Councils in Australia have money, unlike NZ Councils. Any GST received in Aus stays in the state that paid it. This is good. The money that Auckland City receives is mostly wasted by incompetence and bureaucracy. While they are trying to show some initiative here, they should stick to trying to get the very basics right first.

WasPhantom
10th March 2008, 13:22
But Councils in Australia have money, unlike NZ Councils. Any GST received in Aus stays in the state that paid it. This is good. The money that Auckland City receives is mostly wasted by incompetence and bureaucracy. While they are trying to show some initiative here, they should stick to trying to get the very basics right first.

Ah, I was not aware of this. That makes perfect sense then. Fix the taxes!

Matt_TG
10th March 2008, 19:25
Try this link:

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/safety/default.asp

fizbin
10th March 2008, 19:43
nice one it is good to see bureaucracy come to some good finally.:clap:
let me guess one of the council people decide to learn to ride. :gob:oh sorry am i being to cynical :Oops:

Livvy
11th March 2008, 06:23
Good on them for trying to encourage safe riding... Not sure how many that need to will listen though, if there's riders out acting like dicks, chances are they'll keep at it until they have an accident.

But notice the prize of lessons are only for bikers who have full licences... I think they really should be spending money insuring the people who've just got out there know how to ride safe. Hopefully, by the time you have your full, you're pretty clued up, but for people on learners/restricted...?

Katman
11th March 2008, 08:10
Hopefully, by the time you have your full, you're pretty clued up,

It actually tends to work the other way. The rider who has just got their full license and goes out and buys a bike that is beyond their current skill levels is actually unsafer than the learner rider, as caution tends to get thrown to the wind. The licensing procedure here only stipulates that you have to wait x number of months before you get your full - it would be preferable to stipulate gaining x numbers of skills first.

fizbin
11th March 2008, 16:47
It actually tends to work the other way. The rider who has just got their full license and goes out and buys a bike that is beyond their current skill levels is actually unsafer than the learner rider, as caution tends to get thrown to the wind. The licensing procedure here only stipulates that you have to wait x number of months before you get your full - it would be preferable to stipulate gaining x numbers of skills first.

Hear that! :shit: the guy i have just bought my bike off is going from a 250cc bike to a 999 ducatti um yeah good move?:nono:

WasPhantom
12th March 2008, 08:01

I really like the idea of a detuned 'bike that they do in the UK and some of the AU states. It really makes a lot of sense for this sort of thing.

quackquack
12th March 2008, 08:19
Or the 40 year old that comes back and has not ridden a bike for 15 years and then buys a 1000cc sportsbike. We all need to learn more both Newbie and experienced riders. If you don't think you need to learn you are in most need of the course.

90s
12th March 2008, 11:24
Auckland City Council wants to keep motorcyclists safe.
Be in to win one of five advanced motorcyclist courses or one of five $50 vouchers to spend at Mt Eden Motorcycles.

Have a look at our practical safety tips at
http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/roadsafety
and enter our online competition.

The training course includes a theory evening, one day on the track and a membership to the Auckland Motorcycle Club for the rest of the financial year. Auckland City Council wants motorcyclists to feel safe when out on the road, join us in spreading the word on motorcycle safety!

I am glad that you changed the inaccurate information that "large bikes" were not allowed in bus lanes to:
Scooters and motorcycles can use council green bus lanes

This is correct, except when clearly marked "no motorbikes", so maybe you should ammend this.

Your information on safe riding is OK but does show in some areas an unwillingness to engage with motorbikes rather than assume that they are the same as cars. Riding within a lane in slow traffic actually puts motorbikes in a vulnreable position to being rearended by cars/hitting the car in front. Whilst your advice is well intended and should be examined carefully there are issues that apply to bikes that you would be better than address on their own terms than ignore or wish away. Lane-splitting between cars in many instances, for example, can be a safer form of riding than acting 'as a car'.

All work in progress and you should be commended for any safety initiative.
However, it is newer riders who need help, and in particualr car drivers than need education to improve motorcylist safety. In particular, it is urban scooter rdiers with no motorbike licences that are the most vulnerable group of all.

If you really want safety you should fund the BRONZ ride right ride safe course and get vulnerabel riders to attend as a start.

Swoop
12th March 2008, 12:27
Why not combine the $50- vouchers and just have another rider attending the course?