PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

cowboyz
10th March 2008, 15:44
Picture this.

You park in a car park at a mall. (instead of designated bike parking).

As you are walking away from your bike you see a mother pushing a trolley full of groceries carrying a baby. There is a 4-5yr old running round her and the baby is crying. The mother is obivously not having a good day trying to settle the baby and raising her voice at the child telling him to stay with her and watch traffic etc.......

They get up to the car that is parked next to your bike and while the mother is settling the baby in the backseat and walks round to put the groceries in the boot the child gets a tennis racket out of the back of the car and starts swinging it around.
Just as the mother is shouting to put it back you see the tennis racket hit the side of your bike.

What happens now..... what to do?

Finn
10th March 2008, 15:49
There's a Mall in Ashhurst?

Mrs Busa Pete
10th March 2008, 15:51
As a women i would grab the tennis racket of the kid and be very tempted to wack it around kids ass.

From a mans point depends was she hot.

FROSTY
10th March 2008, 15:52
I'd be "talking firmly" with the child. After that I'd be talking with the mother about the damage to the bike.

Swoop
10th March 2008, 15:58
"Burn him!"

or "Get a gun and shoot the fuck!"

:lol:

unrealone
10th March 2008, 15:59
You've obviously done something already seeing as you're posting here? Or you're cool and you posted this from your Blackberry while witnessing the event :P

I'd be asking for money for damages - I mean, that's life and life sucks sometimes.

If I'd just hit someones bike with something I'd expect to have to pay for it regardless who I may be and what situation I'm in.

quackquack
10th March 2008, 16:00
Give him the Sharapova backhand and make sure you grunt loudly at the time to add realism for to it. No seriously two words insurance claim let them chase her down for the cash.

Bonez
10th March 2008, 16:04
Did the racket break or did the Kawasaki buckle under the impact?:rolleyes:

cowboyz
10th March 2008, 16:07
There's a Mall in Ashhurst?

Damn. Actually. no. There is a cowboyz and a meanie. Not enough room in this town for anything else.

Occasionally they do let us out and we manage to find a 20 foot sign that says "Palmerston North City this way" though.

Shouldnt the bike be parked in the motorcycle parking not in car parking so it is at fault for being there?

Mothers have a tough time as it is and kids can get wayward. She obviously wasnt having a flash day and was trying.

BTW. It wasnt my bike.

PrincessBandit
10th March 2008, 16:09
No matter what kind of a shit day you might be having, you are still responsible for any damage your kids might do. It is not "just one of those things", and any parent must realise that the buck stops with them. Her state of mind might affect how you speak to her, but don't let it stop you from getting it sorted. If that had happened to me (as the mother) and a rider came over to deal with it I'd probably burst into tears (i) out of stress, and (ii) out of appreciation that they didn't rip the sh*t out of me over it. Would definitely make me more ammenable to sorting out any damage! If no damage was actually done to the bike, I'd have still had a quiet word.

YellowDog
10th March 2008, 16:10
I think you haver to feel for the stressed Mum. She's doing her best. Hopefully it didn't scratch or dent anything?

"Watch the bike mate".

I think the kid needs to somehow know he's done wrong.

ManDownUnder
10th March 2008, 16:11
ummmm dare I say it - go and talk to the mother, or if she's busy the child (to prevent any more immediate damage))?

You're both having a hard time, nothing is going to be gained by staking your claim to compensation, the mother will be aware of whats happening and if you diffuse the situation you'll get a lot more out of it.

Any damage to your bike?

BIHB@0610
10th March 2008, 16:21
Shouldnt the bike be parked in the motorcycle parking not in car parking so it is at fault for being there?

Irrelevant - if a car had been parked in the car park, the kid would have hit that with the tennis racquet.

Mothers have a tough time as it is and kids can get wayward.

Yes they do - as the mother of twin boys and an older boy I appreciate that mothers have a tough time. We all have a tough time occasionally. Unfortunately our responsibilities do not discern good times from bad.

She obviously wasnt having a flash day and was trying.

Obviously, not a flash day. Again - unfortunately the responsibility is still hers to make sure that any damage caused is fixed. And taken out of the little toad's pocket money for the next few years.

So far as I'm concerned, the mother is still responsible for the actions of her child. Sure, she was having a bad day - so she deserves sympathy and understanding from the person delivering the message.

Personally, if it was anything up to, say, $50 I'd probably give up on it if she argued - getting into an argument with a hormonal, post-partum depressed, tired and stressed woman would not be my idea of fun. Depending on your financial situation you might be able to tolerate more financial pain to avoid the stress.:wacko::crazy::eek5:

FROSTY
10th March 2008, 16:31
yea --I was guessing it was a no harm no foul situation. But if the bikes damaged --different senario.

McDuck
10th March 2008, 17:16
Depends. On the kat if it broke a light i woudl ask for cash, if it was just a scrach then i would give it a polish and not worry. (ater giving the kid a roasting)

banditrider
10th March 2008, 18:48
Sue Bradford says neither you or the ma can do sweet fa to the kid. But don't worry, once they kill a pizza delivery man they might get a slap over the face with a wet newspaper and that'll sort them.

So what did the mother do?

Soul.Trader
10th March 2008, 18:54
Sue Bradford says neither you or the ma can do sweet fa to the kid. But don't worry, once they kill a pizza delivery man they might get a slap over the face with a wet newspaper and that'll sort them.

So what did the mother do?

Believe it or not, you can discipline children without reaising your hand at them. Sue Bradford is aiming for a culture shift AWAY from physical discipline as a first resort.

cowboyz
10th March 2008, 18:57
ok, I have to admit. I wasnt anywhere near town today. Work far too hard to be pissing round in town for a day.

I made up the scenario to see peoples reaction.
Interesting to note that a upset, struggling mother of a young child who can hardly be expected to behave rationally all the time should be held accountable for damage to a bike parked yet, according to popular opinion round here, a responible adult can park his bike in a fashion where it gets blown over by the wind and as no liability for the damage it causes.

ElCoyote
10th March 2008, 19:26
Picture this.

You park in a car park at a mall. (instead of designated bike parking).

As you are walking away from your bike you see a mother pushing a trolley full of groceries carrying a baby. There is a 4-5yr old running round her and the baby is crying. The mother is obivously not having a good day trying to settle the baby and raising her voice at the child telling him to stay with her and watch traffic etc.......

They get up to the car that is parked next to your bike and while the mother is settling the baby in the backseat and walks round to put the groceries in the boot the child gets a tennis racket out of the back of the car and starts swinging it around.
Just as the mother is shouting to put it back you see the tennis racket hit the side of your bike.

What happens now..... what to do?

AK47, MacInroe backhand and Chuck Norris to finish up, I mean it is only superficial damage for gawds sake.

jcupit69
10th March 2008, 19:29
It depends a. If the damage wasnt much id probs just bite the bullet n ride off extremely pissed off. If it was significant damage id try and talk to the mother, and gauge it by what kind of a responce she gave, god knows i dont eva want kids so i respect people who are trying to raise theirs cus its not the easyiest thing in the world.

Oh and of corse if she's hot, totally different story :cool:

jcupit69
10th March 2008, 19:30
AK47, MacInroe backhand and Chuck Norris to finish up, I mean it is only superficial damage for gawds sake.

You know i hear under his beard chuck norris doesnt have a chin.....just another fist :lol:

ElCoyote
10th March 2008, 19:37
You know i hear under his beard chuck norris doesnt have a chin.....just another fist :lol:

I was being flippant as you realise, but as "The Pizza Boy" has been mentioned, I have known his parents since they were teenagers and I would gladly take an AK47 to that little shit who coincidentally featured on TV tonight. Let him out if you wish only in my care where he will get the learn "Proper like" :angry:

Dak
10th March 2008, 19:47
I'd start by storming over, pull out a knife, stab the little bastard then stab the mother just for good measure.:ar15:

jcupit69
10th March 2008, 19:56
I was being flippant as you realise, but as "The Pizza Boy" has been mentioned, I have known his parents since they were teenagers and I would gladly take an AK47 to that little shit who coincidentally featured on TV tonight. Let him out if you wish only in my care where he will get the learn "Proper like" :angry:

Hey man i agree, blaze away :ar15:

Disco Dan
10th March 2008, 20:00
Eat the baby.

cowboyz
10th March 2008, 20:37
now now children.

Was the red rep for making a scenario to get a response or commenting on the whole wind factor?

I am interested in the difference to what is legal and what is moral and what people actually would do.
It was shocking to me to learn the ammount of people who think that if you park your bike and the wind blows it over its not your fault and you should not have to pay for the damage.
So I found myself wondering what people thought if their bike was damaged by a child? It seems that most think the people think that the mother should pay for any damage even though she didnt directly cause it.

Interesting.

Now I have explained myself would tose who red repped me feel free to elaborate on "WTF??"

Soul.Trader
10th March 2008, 20:51
I'm not sure where this wind thing is coming from - clearly I missed a thread on it. My thoughts, from what you've said, is that if you park your bike in a way in which it's likely to be blown over, you should pay for consequential damage. It's be no different to if someone lent a push bike against a wall precariously, and it fell and scratched a car.

However, the owner of a vehicle shouldn't be forced to fork out for damage caused by a loose child. The mother's state of mind doesn't mitigate the childs actions, so her being stressed makes no difference to me. If a father was out playing with his kids, and was in no way stressed when his child damaged my bike, I would find him no more or less liable for damage caused.

Renegade
10th March 2008, 21:25
Believe it or not, you can discipline children without reaising your hand at them. Sue Bradford is aiming for a culture shift AWAY from physical discipline as a first resort.

AAARRRGGGHHH FOOHEY :jerry:

Griff
11th March 2008, 16:06
now now children.

Was the red rep for making a scenario to get a response or commenting on the whole wind factor?

I am interested in the difference to what is legal and what is moral and what people actually would do.
It was shocking to me to learn the ammount of people who think that if you park your bike and the wind blows it over its not your fault and you should not have to pay for the damage.
So I found myself wondering what people thought if their bike was damaged by a child? It seems that most think the people think that the mother should pay for any damage even though she didnt directly cause it.

Interesting.

Now I have explained myself would tose who red repped me feel free to elaborate on "WTF??"

I would 1st tell the mother that she was liable for the damage that her little munchkin did. If she wasn't responsive then I would write it off by saying that it is after all just another learning experience.

:hug:

Then I would slam my knee into the wing of her car ... real fucking hard and appologise for losing my balance.

Griff
11th March 2008, 16:08
I'm not sure where this wind thing is coming from - clearly I missed a thread on it. My thoughts, from what you've said, is that if you park your bike in a way in which it's likely to be blown over, you should pay for consequential damage. It's be no different to if someone lent a push bike against a wall precariously, and it fell and scratched a car.

However, the owner of a vehicle shouldn't be forced to fork out for damage caused by a loose child. The mother's state of mind doesn't mitigate the childs actions, so her being stressed makes no difference to me. If a father was out playing with his kids, and was in no way stressed when his child damaged my bike, I would find him no more or less liable for damage caused.

I would like to test your "Commendable Response".... where do you park your bike please?

mstriumph
11th March 2008, 16:16
.................As you are walking away from your bike you see a mother pushing a trolley full of groceries carrying a baby. There is a 4-5yr old running round her and the baby is crying. The mother is obivously not having a good day trying to settle the baby and raising her voice at the child telling him to stay with her and watch traffic etc.......

................................?

at this point i would have gone accross to the mother, taken the trolley from her and said "i'll push this for you, you settle the bub and stop junior from running in the traffic......."

but then - i'm female - i can do that ............. everyone wins ...

if i were a bloke and did that she'd prolly think i was a mugger and hit me alongside the ear with her handbag or something

so - just because of my gender, my bike wouldn't be getting damaged
- and, just because of YOURS, you'd prolly end up with a damaged bike AND a thick ear ...................

:rolleyes:seems really unfair, don't it?

hang0ver
11th March 2008, 16:42
I've never owned a bike that a little kid with a racquet could make a mark on.

_-H-_

Soul.Trader
11th March 2008, 21:26
I would like to test your "Commendable Response".... where do you park your bike please?

Huh?

(10char)