PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Highway? (SH43)

zzrriders
11th March 2008, 20:25
My wife and i want to head for the Naki ( from Tauranga) via the forgotton highway ( Tauramaranui to Stratford.) Has anyone been over it lately who can give me an update on condition and any problems??? Thanks

ynot slow
11th March 2008, 20:42
Good fun to do lol,not sure if the road has been graded lately,but at least the cockies have finished haymaking,so no tractors on blind turns.:devil2:

Respect the speed signs for what they say,and watch the tar if sunny or hot.

When ya coming?

BiK3RChiK
11th March 2008, 20:48
My wife and i want to head for the Naki ( from Tauranga) via the forgotton highway ( Tauramaranui to Stratford.) Has anyone been over it lately who can give me an update on condition and any problems??? Thanks

I went over it last year in the car and Bl**dy H*ll!! Never again!!! Man that road just sucks! Rough as then. Wonder if the grader has been over it since. That was an experience I never want to repeat...

M

gunnyrob
12th March 2008, 17:15
I went over it in July last year on the Mighty GS. About 10km of gravel, nothing drastic. Once you get west of the pub, road is twisty & well sealed. Really good scenery, WATCH OUT FOR GOATS!!!!

upshift
12th March 2008, 18:08
young1 was thru there last weekend, try asking here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=69156).

They saw some Harleys so can't be too bad at the moment.

banditrider
12th March 2008, 19:29
Was fine for the Toko Lions helicopter run (late Jan). The gravel sections were dusty but in good nick. Do watch the tar in the heat though - I've had a few moments on that stuff on the FH. A great ride! :2thumbsup

fazer
12th March 2008, 20:26
Went over it last week 2 up on the FJR. No problems with unsealed stretch. Nice ride.

spookytooth
12th March 2008, 20:36
Came back from naki to tga about a month ago.Gravel bit was fine 2 up.Tar melt was a pain in the arvo but its cooler now :)Just allow plenty of time,theres so many places to stop and gaze at the rugged beauty

Revit
12th March 2008, 20:44
Road it in January on the blade. Awsome road care needed when hot and heaps of wasps, got one in helmet. Gravel stretch easy with hard packed base.