PDA

View Full Version : SMC Call To Arms: Further bike parking removal by Council/ARTA

motorbyclist
11th March 2008, 23:51
DISASTER AVERTED

we have confirmed that there will be NO loss of parking
the parking will be made level, but not sealed to allow the trees some water - hopefully we wont lose any bikes to tree roots/soft ground
there is a good possibility that a bar can be installed to lock our bikes to
there will be more trees in the way - but shade isn't a bad thing when you're dressed in black leathers/codura
there will be a pedestrian crossing with lights above the underpass, so it should become easier/safer to park
the uni is putting in more parking and marking it. expect parking around the OGG carpark, probably free.

Hehe, i got called by Graham Long about it, he confirmed that the parking will stay as it is, on both sides of the road. And that if we loose some while construction is under way temp parking can be set up, but this shouldnt be a problem as the work isnt expected to start until around exam time in the second semester/end of year, when the parks wont be near capacity.

Also asked about what the bike parks will look like when its done....
They plan to have two curbs, a small one to go from the street to the parks, then another from the parks to the curb, with the area inbetween levelled off (cant be sealed due to the trees etc)

Now, and here's where we could win a bit, as they havent ordered materials yet, there's a chance for small additions/modifications. I made a point of the security of bikes parked out there, and suggested a ground rail as they have down at the library. The Chance of that is apparently very good, what with the curb to be installed and ground work. I shall put it in writing to him and hopefully that will eventuate, just have to keep pushing it ;)

original call to arms below

OK, so being the internet savvy engineering student I am, I thought, "I really hate calling beurocracies and trying to get an answer out of people who don't want to admit they know or don't want to admit they don't know or simply don't want me to know; why not simply look up the drawings, as they must be made publicly and readily available, and examine them myself?"

"central transit corridor" page - has all drawings for entire project (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/ctc/designs.asp)

the relevant drawing to the main section of symonds st (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/ctc/docs/plan3university.pdf)

Alfred Street plans (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/ctc/docs/alfredstplan.pdf)

Now I have examined all the drawings and read a fair amount about the project, here is a summary of my analysis:

Good:
The pavement will be tidied up, look nicer, and gravel should be absent.
Above ground pedestrian crossing introduced outside the main engineering school entrance and the gym, with lights, to hopefully stop pedestrians trying to get run over and make it safe to cross the road if you're too lazy to go under it.
More importantly for bikes, this will also give more clear windows in which to enter/leave bike parking safely
Motorbikes can use the new bus lanes, including Grafton Bridge.
Grafton Bridge will be strengthened and brought up to spec. - so it's less likely to fall down under the heavy traffic

Bad:
It would appear from only three denotations of motorcycle parking on the "university" drawing that we are about to lose a significant portion of our bike parking in favour of gardens
They were told parking loss was an issue basically everywhere along the route, so kept parking on Anzac Ave. and ignored everywhere else
They are planting more trees... not really an issue due to absence of parking, but the current bylaws make future removal of these trees problematic, especially if they wish to re-establish or increase parking.
"Trees have been prioritised over parking. However, some trees are being felled to provide additional road width for bus lanes. The total number of trees on the route will rise from 162 to 201."
No bus lanes by what bike parking is left, so no safety improvement in that respect
I cannot locate the bike parking on Anzac Ave. plans, assume it to be removed.
ALL Symonds St. parking between Grafton Rd. and Alten Rd. is to be removed
If there was bike parking further up Symonds St. and over Grafton bridge before, it won't be there any longer - most car parks to be removed also.

Conclusion: this is bad, very bad - bus lanes and trees are deemed more important than motorcyclists:eek5:

Unless I have misinterpreted the drawings and "planting" actually means "parking", there may be some leeway if either we are able to "convert" the gardens to parking with their approval or "convert" the gardens to parking without their approval.

I will still have to go confirm, but now I have seen the drawings and know where they are, there will be little allowing them to fob me off while they play dumb.:bash:

Original post:

I received an email today as a follow up to one sent yesterday.

It was sent to all engineering staff and forwarded to all students, but i do not know about the rest of the university.

Sent: Monday, 10 March 2008 10:03 a.m.
To: 'engineering-staff@auckland.ac.nz'
Subject: Parking Restrictions

The University has been advised that Auckland City council will as part of there Central Connector Project be removing 70 parking spaces on sections of Symonds Street, outside the University of Auckland. The parking space removals are in line with the project objectives of improving pedestrian safety and widening of bus lanes.

The new parking restrictions will be in place from Tuesday 25 March 2008. To ensure a smooth transition and minimum disruption, the parking spaces will be removed over the Easter Break (21-24 March 2008).

Motor Cycle, mobility parking and loading bays will not be affected.

Regards

Keith

Sent: Tuesday, 11 March 2008 11:37 a.m.

Subject: Symonds Street Parking Restrictions effective Tuesday 25 March 2008
Importance: High

The Auckland City Council has very recently advised that the expected removal of parking along Symonds Street in anticipation of the work to be carried out for the Central Connector is now to be effected as from Tuesday 25 March (a University holiday).

I am sending you a specific note about this with a copy of the map showing where the parking will now be restricted. I will be sending out an all-staff email but I believe this should be signalled at both levels.

Please would you ensure that this is given as much publicity as possible so that staff and students are aware that parking will not be permitted where there are red dotted lines shown along Symonds Street on the attached map.

Regards

Tim

T P Greville, LLB

Registrar & General Counsel
Office of the Vice-Chancellor
The University of Auckland

The map attached to the second email (and this post) marks basically ALL symonds street motorcycle parking, being atleast 90% of uni motorcycle parking, for "parking removal".

I have emailed back hoping to clarify the situation.

We are definitely about to lose all the parking on the engineering side up by architecture, which will further overload the already full bike parks.

It is about time the SMC got serious about bike parking. We need Alfred Street back, and/or more of symonds street further down the hill dedicated to motorcycle parking (moving up the hill is just plain inconvienient).

xwhatsit
12th March 2008, 00:17
WTF? So there's going to be no parking on Symonds St? That's the majority of bike parking spaces in the whole of university. Perhaps 75% of total parking?

Shit, this is going to be total chaos. There's going to be bikes and scooters in the Quad. Might give them a bit of a wake-up call, though?

Feck me, some people are stupid, aren't they.

motorbyclist
12th March 2008, 00:21
what i find interesting is the contradiction between the first email and the second email's attachment

i'll post up as soon as i get an answer; i doubt they could possibly be this stupid, but wouldn't be entirely surprised.

but as i said, we still lose parking either way

seems a bit silly that while demand continues to grow supply continues to dwindle, especially as buses hardly get held up there

next they'll probably put in a cycle lane in spite of the number of scooters and motorbikes vastly outnumbering pedal bikes<_<

i see there is currently a movement to put a cycle lane across the harbour bridge - shame about the buses which carry MANY more people that still have to park on the bridge after the short trip down the northern busway

xwhatsit
12th March 2008, 00:30
Yes, that's weird. First email, it says `motor cycle... etc... parking bays will not be affected'. The attachment for the second email shows the entire of Symonds St parking being removed?

Are they just talking about car parking spaces?

motorbyclist
12th March 2008, 00:33
let's hope so. with a bit of luck we will know by tomorrow night

we will lose the parking up by architecture i do know that much

Ragingrob
12th March 2008, 07:41
FUCK they are just DUMB, honestly, retarded mental idiots who don't know shit!

Oh and yeah... That sucks :(. I reckon there should be some motorcycle only parking! ie over 50cc or something :yes:

Yeah Alfred st is definitely needed ay.

motorbyclist
12th March 2008, 07:47
ok, got an email back from the engineering staff member who forwarded the previous email

Hi Andrew,

You would have to take the latest one into account.

regards,

SHIT

Who do we email/storm into the office of to confirm this?

we have to move fast

and we'll need a plan of action if they do infact intend to remove 80% of motorcycle parking without replacement

HungusMaximist
12th March 2008, 08:12
ok, got an email back from the engineering staff member who forwarded the previous email

SHIT

Get back to us ASAP you do get the CONFIRMATION email that they are removing all BIKE biking without replacement.

We should start drawing up a PLANS NOW regardless of the outcome but I am going to hope that are able to supply a replacement.

It looks like they are gonna start implementing this in a few weeks time.

CookMySock
12th March 2008, 08:32
FUCK they are just DUMB, honestly, retarded mental idiots who don't know shit! Not at all, they are exceedingly clever. The first email is the one that gets read and understood - the second email is the one that gets only 10% of the distribution compared to the first, and then gets pulled out later and waved in everyones face after the deal is done. This is very cleverly crafted approach.

DB

Ragingrob
12th March 2008, 08:39
Wtf... So in two weeks time, we have NO designated bike parking at Uni?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?! :wacko:

Like... NONE?!?!

You're right Andrew we need to actually do something...

How about this as an option... On the day that they are gonna start to implement it, we ALL park our bikes in the parks, and ALL the parks along Symonds, even car parks, and sit there with our bikes... Screw the lectures, hey it's a holiday anyway...

So anyone keen to park up in these parks and all along Symonds st and get in their way as a protest for someone to sit up and notice??

We can't let them take every park away from the biggest Uni in NZ?!?!?!

How dumb are they, aren't they meant to promote biking in terms of petrol saving and easy parking.

Steam
12th March 2008, 08:51
Get in touch with BRONZ, there's nothing like an outside organisation poking its nose into uni business to get the uni concerned.
Oh, and media attention. You might warrant a sad-motorcyclist photo on page four of the Herald, choose a nice photogenic girl.

Patar
12th March 2008, 09:27
seriously, if they think that removing a couple hundred motorcycle parking spaces is acceptable then they must be more retarded than I could ever imagine.

If they are serious I suggest we get all the riders we can get and be a serious inconvenience. Park all along the footpath all along symonds, that way we get bikers + joe public to start complaining.

klyong82
12th March 2008, 09:43
That is just crazy. A bike takes up less space than a car and emits (probably) less exhaust fumes than a car. Looks like they want everyone to start taking bus to work/uni. If only they make it free and improve the bus time......keep us inform on the progress think we need to do something..

Ragingrob
12th March 2008, 10:02
seriously, if they think that removing a couple hundred motorcycle parking spaces is acceptable then they must be more retarded than I could ever imagine.

If they are serious I suggest we get all the riders we can get and be a serious inconvenience. Park all along the footpath all along symonds, that way we get bikers + joe public to start complaining.

Yep we could all choose a day where we all just park VERY inconveniently on footpaths etc, or on that "first" day of parking removal just all jam into the car parks so they can't do a thing.

I don't know how or why they are doing this??!! Especially when only just a few months back we were at the council talking about the lack of parks around Uni and Auckland in general!

Ixion
12th March 2008, 11:12
My understanding is that MOTORCYCLE parking in Symonds St is not affected (other tan maybe in the short term if they're planting a new tree r something).

But I've got a call in to Tim Darby, who should be able to reliably clarify. Watch this space.

ital916
12th March 2008, 13:05
I'm down to protest this. To remove basically all uni bike parking is ludicrous. First alfred, then under the quad and then symonds street. If I turn up to uni and cannot find a bike park, i'll just have to park it on the footpath in a cycle bay or better yet ride it into the kate edgar building. If they do remove the bike parks, action must be taken. It's fine they took away alfred, we coped but we need those spaces we use now. Take them away and the university is forcing us to take action and I reckon that action is a mass gathering of very disgruntled motorcyclists parking in the middle of symonds street.

HungusMaximist
12th March 2008, 13:14
You know this affects scooters just as much as motorbikes.

As far as I can see there's a shitload more of scooters than bikes.

I must say AKL UNI has been pretty sneaky and cunning in their approach, but they're definitely aren't stupid. They know that they will have to surely find another replacement space or risk action taken up the 2 wheels club.

Along with the above possible problems - today a security guard gave everybike parked under the quad a 'ticket' for parking on the footpath saying that number plate has been recorded and that a tow truck may be called......

There goes another 30-50 parks......

You mean by the lockers?

ital916
12th March 2008, 13:42
Yeah I mean scooterists too, they can be brought into the motorcycling fold lol. If the uni does remove parking, they don't know how much crap they have just gone and brought upon themselves.

CookMySock
12th March 2008, 13:51
...Park all along the footpath all along symonds, that way we get bikers + joe public to start complaining.Yes, but then they will complain about YOU. Not a good look.

Take up all the car parking instead.. there will be a huge fallout about that, and yet you will be 100% legal. When they ask you to move just shug and say "no" - you are fully entitled to park in a car space under law. Don't be intimidated, and refuse to discuss it. Don't get drawn into a fight because they will fight you and they will win - just walk away and they can't touch you. Do tell them "Dont't Touch My Bike!!"

Ugh, what a nasty battle.

DB

Patar
12th March 2008, 15:45
My understanding is that MOTORCYCLE parking in Symonds St is not affected (other tan maybe in the short term if they're planting a new tree r something).

But I've got a call in to Tim Darby, who should be able to reliably clarify. Watch this space.

For those who are unaware, they are planning to make symonds street a bus transit lane and as such want to remove all pedestrians crossing symonds st.
Their plan of attack for this is to remove all the parking spaces along symonds st and replace them with planter boxes.

Sadly I learnt of this a while before I became a biker and had since forgotten about it.
Even sadder is the fact that the timeframe for voicing concerns about this has passed (I believe it was start of last year down in britomart when they had posters n such up with it), although im sure if enough people bitch and moan then something can be done.

One thing i believe will be useful is to get the university to realise the impact of removing the bike parking spaces, one way of doing that is making them see just how many of us there are by possibly parking by the grassy patch they've made at the kate edger building.

Although they might not be removing any motorcycle parking like they said in their original email :rolleyes: but from what i know of the plan it's unlikely.

Patar
12th March 2008, 15:48
Yes, but then they will complain about YOU. Not a good look.

Take up all the car parking instead.. there will be a huge fallout about that, and yet you will be 100% legal. When they ask you to move just shug and say "no" - you are fully entitled to park in a car space under law. Don't be intimidated, and refuse to discuss it. Don't get drawn into a fight because they will fight you and they will win - just walk away and they can't touch you. Do tell them "Dont't Touch My Bike!!"

Ugh, what a nasty battle.

DB

erm you realise that the car parks around uni will be gone too right? also if we take car parking spots, car drivers complain about us; either way we get more people focussing on us and in a situation like this it is never a bad thing.

SPman
12th March 2008, 16:02

It's the Auckland City Council!

They ARE more retarded than you could ever imagine!

(Except for the Building Inspectors)

CookMySock
12th March 2008, 16:31
erm you realise that the car parks around uni will be gone too right? also if we take car parking spots, car drivers complain about us; either way we get more people focussing on us and in a situation like this it is never a bad thing.oh I didnt realise that. Thats nuts. Yes, that is true, but you might be able to get the situation resolved - I suppose the bikers won't get any recognition for that *sigh*. Good luck fellas.

DB

Swoop
12th March 2008, 16:59
Can someone open the gymnasium one morning?
Get all the bikes to park in there as a protest. It will certainly get attention to the issue.

Nagash
12th March 2008, 17:04
Sit in on the park spaces they're gonna dig up :D

That'll be a laugh. But hot in the leathers though..

Subike
12th March 2008, 17:13
how about an approch from a different angle.
Anybody who owns a bike, scooter etc just dont turn up to the uni.
If the numbers are such as they seem to be , having a couple of hundred students not arrive in the class rooms on the day the restrictions start will get far more attention than trying to blockade with you bikes.
Get all those who dont go to the uni to gather somewhere on mass, with TV3 news teams and announce that you are all eing deprived of your right to open access to the uni for eduction.
That would have a better effect than on on street protest,
Aunty Hellen should be asked to attend the gathering and explain her education policies.
Get your local MP involved.
I'm sure a peacefull legal walk out protest like that would get more media, govenment and uni attention than blocking the roads which would become a Police matter.
Just an Idea to dwell on.
If you can organise group rides, organise a group walkout.
I believe it will get better results and far more attention from everybody,
A half empty classroom is had to ignore
Im sure some of your teachers are in the same boat and could even join you in this

Squiggles
12th March 2008, 17:13

Kevin Wong-Toi on ext 7889, according to the call centre he's the one in-charge of the project, and will be in tomorrow. I shall call then :cool:

PM me some contact details Ixion, i may be calling in the future :P

boostin
12th March 2008, 17:44
Maybe they have a plan to relocate all the bikes to somewhere else? Tui?

Someone take some photos and do a count of how many bikes use the parks now so that there is some actual evidence of the disruption that will be caused. I can see the parks being removed and then the council saying "What bikes?"

Ixion
12th March 2008, 17:50
Tim Darby returned my call (unfortunaelty he got my voicemeail). He syas "That's uh, interesting". As far as ACC understood the plan, there was to be NO loss of motorcycle parking. But, he said, they may have changed things without telling them (ACC) (!!??). So he's going to go check the plans and ask questions tomorrow and will get back with a definitive answer then.

ACC's contact for the AU Travel Plan is Melanie Alexander.

Chrislost
12th March 2008, 17:53

SHIT

we have to move fast

and we'll need a plan of action if they do infact intend to remove 80% of motorcycle parking without replacement

Wheres the nearest parking building?
We could all go park in that (paying for one park each...)

Chrislost
12th March 2008, 17:57
Along with the above possible problems - today a security guard gave everybike parked under the quad a 'ticket' for parking on the footpath saying that number plate has been recorded and that a tow truck may be called......

they did this last year, resulting in us shooting 3 security staff and framing a further two for child molestation...

(they did what?!?!?)

Squiggles
12th March 2008, 18:39
Someone take some photos and do a count of how many bikes use the parks now so that there is some actual evidence of the disruption that will be caused. I can see the parks being removed and then the council saying "What bikes?"

We've got some pictures from early this afternoon, was still chocka then

Magua
12th March 2008, 18:52
Perhaps we should be proposing alternative areas. Eg, the disused strip next to the footpath by the business school. Though it has quite a gradient. One poorly parked bike could lead to disaster.

ital916
12th March 2008, 19:41
Haha if they do take all the bike parks, ill happily ride in on that day, park my bike as usual, slap a big "FUCK OFF" chain around my bay and sit by her. Tho one person can't do much, now if all the scooterists and bikers did this and then we stood there and didn't go to class. And TV3 came, and we did a demonstration and then we did a ride down symonds street once it was all backed up. Then we might get attention. New zealands lucky, in places like Argentina student riot hardcore...people die. lol

Swoop
12th March 2008, 20:19
how about an approch from a different angle.
Anybody who owns a bike, scooter etc just dont turn up to the uni.
If the numbers are such as they seem to be , having a couple of hundred students not arrive in the class rooms on the day the restrictions start will get far more attention than trying to blockade with you bikes.
One of the more humerous posts I have seen for a while.
Do you think they give a fuck???
In fact, you are helping the university by NOT turning up! "Thanks for easing the parking around campus!"
They have your fees. Once that objective has been reached...

Patar
12th March 2008, 21:23
Not turning up to class is the most pointless thing i've ever heard of, as it stands there are on a couple people per class that bike to uni. It wouldn't even be noticed by other students, hell probably not even your friends (just think you're pulling a sicky)

One thing that might pay to do is give Beca Carter a call as they're the engineering firm in charge of the project.

I'm not sure who the project manager is but Stephen Priestley should know some info about it and if not probably be able to point you in the right direction as to who to ask.

It might be more effective than trying to talk to the beuraucracy of the auckland city council.

bomma
12th March 2008, 21:29
fuck this man i vote rock up to uni and sit there in force and make them try and move us.....assault charges a many :) :ar15:

Subike
12th March 2008, 21:32
One of the more humerous posts I have seen for a while.
Do you think they give a fuck???
In fact, you are helping the university by NOT turning up! "Thanks for easing the parking around campus!"
They have your fees. Once that objective has been reached...

Well thank you for your polite reply
I have no idea of the size of the uni, and was only making a suggestion.
But seeing as you Dorklanders want to just be brazenly obstinent and not listen to possibile alternatives for a hick town southener
Then I dont give a fuck if you loose all your presious bike parks
go sit on you degree or smoke it, it's only theory anyway, not real life experiance which matters in the end.

I wish you luck Dryder87, dont get yourself arrested for obstruction

bomma
12th March 2008, 21:33
Wheres the nearest parking building?
We could all go park in that (paying for one park each...)

lol imagine a 100 parks filled up with bikers at 7am....oh the chaos :wari:

bastard ACC a-holes just wanna fuck us over :spanking::mad:

Filterer
12th March 2008, 21:36

You must be keeping bad company then ;p

bomma
12th March 2008, 21:36
But seeing as you Dorklanders want to just be brazenly obstinent and not listen to possibile alternatives for a hick town southener
go sit on you degree or smoke it, it's only theory anyway, not real life experiance which matters in the end.

lol thanks for the backing mate :niceone:

you're a true biker ;)

come up here and study for a semester and you'll realise the shit we put up with and then you'll STFU

bend over for me bitch :buggerd:

Folcan
12th March 2008, 21:52
I dont think Upsetting cagers (with using all the parking in a carpark building) is the way to go with it. What about a slow ride up and down symonds st in staggered formation...

need to get the council/buses annoyed

And I agree that not turning up to class isnt gonna do much

Also what about approaching one of those TV shows like Fairgo or closeup?

Ixion
12th March 2008, 21:53
lol imagine a 100 parks filled up with bikers at 7am....oh the chaos :wari:

bastard ACC a-holes just wanna fuck us over :spanking::mad:

Not ACC. They know nothing of such an intent. If it be so it is AU and ARTA.

MGST
12th March 2008, 22:03
*******Filterer*****

Please read your PM's fairly soon Mr Filterer. Thanks. So I don't get my arse fired.

motorbyclist
12th March 2008, 22:53
Not at all, they are exceedingly clever. The first email is the one that gets read and understood - the second email is the one that gets only 10% of the distribution compared to the first, and then gets pulled out later and waved in everyones face after the deal is done. This is very cleverly crafted approach.

DB

my thoughts exactly - among the engineering students there really is mass confusion, and it would seem most students simply deleted the second email thinking it was a repeat of the first

Wtf... So in two weeks time, we have NO designated bike parking at Uni?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?! :wacko:

Like... NONE?!?![/SIZE]

How dumb are they, aren't they meant to promote biking in terms of petrol saving and easy parking.

let's confirm this first before doing something rash - but let's make plans in the event of parking being taken now or in another event.

i suggest getting all the scooters and bikers who would be looking for a park to instead park in the ACC parking.

i will be calling thursday morning too

i'll be calling the appropriate uni staff about that too

(I believe it was start of last year down in britomart when they had posters n such up with it)

oh yeah, a person with a bike/scooter is going to bother walking down there on a regular basis:rolleyes:

typical to tell only those who benefit and not those it screws over

good to see you did the same
fair enough
likewise we don't know nor care where you come from, though it is typical of hatred towards auckland to increase as one heads south for some reason...
because one person was a bit harsh in pointing out what was wrong with your suggestion you now don't care for any of us?
another typical attitude from someone who typically* never even did 7th form, let alone anything at uni. depending of the degree**, alot of it is experience, alot of it is learning things BEFORE going to an employer and saying "train me and pay for my ignorant fuckups", and alot is professions like medicine and law where you simply cannot gain experience unless you have alot of knowledge behind you

*not saying that is neccessarily you
** some degrees/papers really are a bunch of bullshit that the taxpayer does not benefit from. doesn't mean they shouldn't happen, but does perhaps suggest the funding scheme is wrong, which again isn't the fault of the students

please, please don't take the internet too seriously and lash out against a whole section of NZ society because one person made you feel stupid

Jiminy
12th March 2008, 23:18
I'm not an Auckland uni student, but if it turns out to be true, what about all of you giving a polite phone call to whoever at the city council who has some authority on the issue? If a couple of hundreds biker students call the right person, then he/she might take the issue more seriously.

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 00:40
READ ALL OF THIS POST

OK, so being the internet savvy engineering student I am, I thought, "I really hate calling beurocracies and trying to get an answer out of people who don't want to admit they know or don't want to admit they don't know or simply don't want me to know; why not simply look up the drawings, as they must be made publicly and readily available, and examine them myself?"

"central transit corridor" page - has all drawings for entire project (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/ctc/designs.asp)

the relevant drawing to the main section of symonds st (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/ctc/docs/plan3university.pdf)

Alfred Street plans (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/ctc/docs/alfredstplan.pdf)

Now I have examined all the drawings and read a fair amount about the project, here is a summary of my analysis:

Good:
The pavement will be tidied up, look nicer, and gravel should be absent.
Above ground pedestrian crossing introduced outside the main engineering school entrance and the gym, with lights, to hopefully stop pedestrians trying to get run over and make it safe to cross the road if you're too lazy to go under it.
More importantly for bikes, this will also give more clear windows in which to enter/leave bike parking safely
Motorbikes can use the new bus lanes, including Grafton Bridge.
Grafton Bridge will be strengthened and brought up to spec. - so it's less likely to fall down under the heavy traffic

Bad:
It would appear from only three denotations of motorcycle parking on the "university" drawing that we are about to lose a significant portion of our bike parking in favour of gardens
They were told parking loss was an issue basically everywhere along the route, so kept parking on Anzac Ave. and ignored everywhere else
They are planting more trees... not really an issue due to absence of parking, but the current bylaws make future removal of these trees problematic, especially if they wish to re-establish or increase parking.
"Trees have been prioritised over parking. However, some trees are being felled to provide additional road width for bus lanes. The total number of trees on the route will rise from 162 to 201."
No bus lanes by what bike parking is left, so no safety improvement in that respect
I cannot locate the bike parking on Anzac Ave. plans, assume it to be removed.
ALL Symonds St. parking between Grafton Rd. and Alten Rd. is to be removed
If there was bike parking further up Symonds St. and over Grafton bridge before, it won't be there any longer - most car parks to be removed also.

Conclusion: this is bad, very bad - bus lanes and trees are deemed more important than motorcyclists:eek5:

Unless I have misinterpreted the drawings and "planting" actually means "parking", there may be some leeway if either we are able to "convert" the gardens to parking with their approval or "convert" the gardens to parking without their approval.

I will still have to go confirm, but now I have seen the drawings and know where they are, there will be little allowing them to fob me off while they play dumb.:bash:

I will append this post to the first post of this thread for newcomers. Squiggles, I might suggest emailing all the club members about this once things are a bit more concrete.

Swoop
13th March 2008, 07:18
My post was meant seriously, and was written without any "anger" or rudeness intended.
The University, quite honestly, does not give a flying f*ck about parking. It is a small annoyance to them.
So long as the CEO has a parking place, all is good with the world. Student parking will be quite low on their agenda.
Auckland Uni is one of the biggest in the country, and located in the center of NZ's biggest city.

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 08:22
My post was meant seriously, and was written without any "anger" or rudeness intended.
The University, quite honestly, does not give a flying f*ck about parking. It is a small annoyance to them.
So long as the CEO has a parking place, all is good with the world. Student parking will be quite low on their agenda.
Auckland Uni is one of the biggest in the country, and located in the center of NZ's biggest city.

But in no way are we going to bend over and take it. The writing is on the wall today, and ill be seeing our ausa pres when he gets in to try and sort both internal and external parking.

For now though, i'd like to see them try and tow the tl from its nice, out of the way, park :msn-wink:

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 08:23
just called the guy at beginning of the email trail, Tim Greville, to get the contact who told him about the project. he seemed a bit angry....

APPARENTLY, it clearly states on the site there will be no loss of motorcycle parking....

i'm yet to find it, but i'll have another look

got answering machines when chasing up the uni parking

Phurrball
13th March 2008, 08:23
MB - I'm endebted to you for your research efforts. Anyone talked to BRONZ yet?

No doubt the f*ckers have complied with their notification requirements - does anyone know where this was notified shame they didn't make any effort to approach those affected - ie notices around the bike parks.

I don't know where the geniuses think the bikes from the overfull parks will go - this will create a major problem (understatement of the decade)

I have no doubt that the University was approached regading this. I would suggest that both the university and the council believe that university parking is the other's problem. Clearly the university don't want bikes parked on campus as evidenced by their 'ticketing' of bikes out the back of the commons. Doubtless those in the ivory towers believe that there is no problem due to the fantastic $4 an hour-market-rate Owen Glenn building parking. (that'd be $4 per hour or part hour from the once I made the mistake of parking the cage there)

I cannot believe this - students need to be told to study elsewhere - that is about the only thing that would make UoA take any notice. Hurt their flabby pockets. I can personally vouch for the fact that Otago has a much more student friendly administration, and that the UNiversity and council work TOGETHER on parking issues.

The measured tone of my words belies how enraged I am by this.:angry2:

Phurrball
13th March 2008, 08:27
just called the guy at beginning of the email trail, Tim Greville, to get the contact who told him about the project. he seemed a bit angry....

APPARENTLY, it clearly states on the site there will be no loss of motorcycle parking....

i'm yet to find it, but i'll have another look

It may well state that one the site *somewhere*, that's not how I read the plans, however I am not a surveyor, architect or engineer or *bureaucrat*. Clearly the latter has interesting interpretations.

Further to the above -
As well as public consultation, there has been on-going communication and consultation with the project's key stakeholders. These include the University of Auckland, the Auckland District Health Board and the Grafton Residents' Assocation, as well as the Langham Hotel (formerly the Sheraton), Auckland University of Technology, Auckland Regional Transport Authority and the Auckland Regional Council.

The university obviously had a hand in this genius.

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 08:30
MB - I'm endebted to you for your research efforts. Anyone talked to BRONZ yet?

No doubt the f*ckers have complied with their notification requirements - does anyone know where this was notified shame they didn't make any effort to approach those affected - ie notices around the bike parks.

I don't know where the geniuses think the bikes from the overfull parks will go - this will create a major problem (understatement of the decade)

I have no doubt that the University was approached regading this.

Thread in General Bike Ravings, aimed at UoA Bikers, the travel plan was passed through last year, and despite the number of submissions by bikers, we were ignored.

I believe they are planning cyclist facilities though... funny that, university seems to already be very accomodating for our motorless 2 wheeled friends

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 08:30
LOL the IRONY (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/safety/motorcycle.asp)

Phurrball
13th March 2008, 08:34
Never mind trying to park on Symonds street without being mowed down by a bus...

So who's volunteering to be killed so the f*ckers take notice of the problem? (P/T)

Phurrball
13th March 2008, 08:42
Thread in General Bike Ravings, aimed at UoA Bikers, the travel plan was passed through last year, and despite the number of submissions by bikers, we were ignored.

I believe they are planning cyclist facilities though... funny that, university seems to already be very accomodating for our motorless 2 wheeled friends

I made a submission to that. I recall the central issue being the removal of parking on Alfred St - we were mollified with the promise that there would be no ultimate loss in parking - it seems that various prople have interesting ideas on what is equivalent, never mind safety considerations.

The plans seem to have made in the preceding few years BEFORE petrol prices drove the massive increase in two-wheeled transport to UNiversity (scooters especially) and haven't taken this into account.

The f*ckedness of parking was a major theme amongst those signing up yesterday - mention we were lobbying to improve the situation, and people were stoked.

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 08:43
called tim greville again and suddenly he couldn't quote where on the site it said.... it would seem he never even looked at the plans - but that isn't his job

the uni stipulated there would be no loading/docking bay or 2 wheel parking loss

he gave me the number of who might have the right number, but does think this question is addressed on the site somewhere... time to google search the site then!

EDIT: google gave me NOTHING useful beyond the mention that alfred st parking was relocated to alfred st

Phurrball
13th March 2008, 08:48
Will check in again in teh middle of the day - home from my 8am now to caffeinate.

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 08:56
called tim greville again and suddenly he couldn't quote where on the site it said.... it would seem he never even looked at the plans - but that isn't his job

he gave me the number of who might have the right number, but does think this question is addressed on the site somewhere... time to google search the site then!

EDIT: google gave me NOTHING useful beyond the mention that alfred st parking was relocated to alfred st

Phone the guy i mentioned a couple of pages back, he is the one heading the bus lane project on symonds, he'll have the answers

Steve

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 09:34
Phone the guy i mentioned a couple of pages back, he is the one heading the bus lane project on symonds, he'll have the answers

Steve

will do - you mean kevin wong-toi?

Just emailed Earl Wyatt asking for the reasoning behind the no parking approach, plus asked a few questions...

Why are bikes not allowed to park under the commons if they do not interfere with the car parking?
Why are bikes not allowed to park on the gravel on Grafton Rd near the new commerce buildings?
Has there been any complaints that should be forwarded to the SMC?
Why are pedal bikes allowed to park wherever they so please?
Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to a shortage of parking on symonds st?
Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to ongoing thefts of the more valuable motorcycles from symonds st?
Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to the frequency of "near misses" where students trying to negotiate into a tight parking slot find themselves caught by a wave of traffic?
Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to the frequency of "near misses" where students trying to negotiate out of a parking spot cannot see traffic (and vice versa) due to the trees blocking everyone's view?
Is it not in the best interests of the university to ensure that it's students are not financially crippled by theft?
Is it not in the best interests of the university to ensure that it's students are not physically crippled by an avoidable accident?

I will stress that, in order to get maximum cooperation from the uni, that we do NOT do anything stupid until all peaceful means have been exhausted. however amusing and convienient, removing the no parking signs will not help our case.

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 10:22
"please continue to hold"

why can't they let me just enter an extension number?!

i've got an assignment to hand in by noon, so i'll have a shower/get dressed, get to uni, hand that in, print off those plans A3 size and go consult an actual civil engineer and see what he says, then storm into offices at the council:D... lectures for me start at 2pm today

could someone please count the number of bikes parked on symonds st and measure the current total length of the motorcycle parking. remember to exclude trees.

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 12:24
157 just before 12

156 just after 1

10-12 bikes parked under science

Got plenty of pics

Patar
13th March 2008, 12:57
IIRC Beca are the people in charge of designing the busway.
Could be worth for someone to give them a call, I would but im grogged up with the flu =/

One option for a protest could be to go park in aotea square (i'm sure someone would have a metal ramp to get into the square or just around the square would be fine too)

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 13:26
Eric Hennepoff (sp?) direct dial: 3771265

He's the one i've been led to, have left a message and will call again after my lecture @ 4

ital916
13th March 2008, 14:11
SO if they are planting lots of trees instead of motorcycle parking are we allowed to ride on the curb and park under the trees? A big hats off to motorb ans squiggles, when action time hits I shall be there next to both of you, getting pulled up for obstruction lol

Magua
13th March 2008, 15:45
I shall be sending some emails myself to question the removal of parking from under the quad, politely of course.

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 15:46
I shall be sending some emails myself to question the removal of parking from under the quad, politely of course.

See the other thread "Internal Parking"

Dushy, its not going to go that far ;)

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 16:07
Eric Hennepoff (sp?) direct dial: 3771265

also on Extension 8227, but id just use the direct dial line

He's the one everyone is pointing to as running the show, tried for the 3rd time today to get ahold of him and stuff nothin, so will try every hour on the hour tomorrow :jerry:

HungusMaximist
13th March 2008, 16:15
also on Extension 8227, but id just use the direct dial line

He's the one everyone is pointing to as running the show, tried for the 3rd time today to get ahold of him and stuff nothin, so will try every hour on the hour tomorrow :jerry:

You want the rest of us to hassle him on the hour?

Let us know aye, but then again since your the PREZ of the club, your words will have more depth/substance than the words comming outta our wee mortal mouths :msn-wink:

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 17:22
Let us know aye, but then again since your the PREZ of the club, your words will have more depth/substance than the words comming outta our wee mortal mouths :msn-wink:

haha i've just been putting "SMC Comitee" after my name

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 18:42
i've printed and examined the plans, and sofar can say it shows less than 40 metres parking, depending on how close to trees you can park that may become less.

i then paced out the current parking and measured that to be approximately 150m of parking

you do the maths

Chrislost
13th March 2008, 18:47

huh! you must ride a cruzer...

go untwist yer knickers eh

Hanne
13th March 2008, 18:54
Get in touch with BRONZ, there's nothing like an outside organisation poking its nose into uni business to get the uni concerned.
Oh, and media attention. You might warrant a sad-motorcyclist photo on page four of the Herald, choose a nice photogenic girl.

Ooh, ooh, I'll pose! :D

The BRONZ idea is a good one.

Ixion
13th March 2008, 18:57
BRONZ is already there.

Tim Darby didn't phone back today as he promised (yesterday he said that ACC knew nothing about it and as far as they knew no motorcycles parks were to be lost). That may mean there is something going on, or may just mean he is a slack bastard.

I'll ring him again tomorrow.

bomma
13th March 2008, 19:07
who trains the civl engineers in this country?? i mean seriously where do they get their qualifications from?!?!! lets see so they fobbed off alfred st and said that they would open up parks on symonds st and as far as i can understand this plan had already been accepted at that point.... i think we just got :buggerd:

2wheeljunkie
13th March 2008, 19:46
man this is soo bullshit..:mad:.i know im a little late on the angry replys but seriously..u think they would take care of us as we provide them with fees and such..but no..they go and fuck us...wateva happens im down with the club for wateva action peaceful/not so peaceful...(good job to those so far who have done so much work on this; steve, andrew, etc..):2thumbsup..and if u need to me to do anethin juz txt me aight...

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 19:58
You want the rest of us to hassle him on the hour?

well, now i've gone and gotten the ball well and truly rolling, i think i'll take a more relaxed role as i fear i risk stepping on stephens feet

still willing to do my bit, but with instruction rather than doubling up with what stephen is simultaneously doing. we really need to be organised with this one if we're going to get any plans changed at the last minute, if that is even possible

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 20:04
who trains the civl engineers in this country?? i mean seriously where do they get their qualifications from?!?!! lets see so they fobbed off alfred st and said that they would open up parks on symonds st and as far as i can understand this plan had already been accepted at that point.... i think we just got :buggerd:

that's not their doing, it'll be the architect who drew the pretty picture of symonds street without those unsightly motorcycles and parked cars about combined with the ACC for not bothering to put in the parking. the engineers just make the plans from the pretty pictures

and if u need to me to do anethin juz txt me aight...

have a look at that plan and see if you can find more than 40m of parking. remember to exclude the trees and their roots.

i want to be sure we're being screwed before making a total ass of us

ital916
13th March 2008, 20:10
This is really grinding my gears now, sounds like the uni pulled a a bit of wool over our eyes. Ill have a look at the plans andrew and see what they are proposing.

ital916
13th March 2008, 20:27
Okay so I have read over the plans on the project website. For the university upgrades, all it states on the plans are two small spots where motorcycle parking will be. For the rest of symonds street I was unable to find any reference whatsoever to motocycke parking. I know that there is one on st paul street, luckily it doesn't seem they are going to touch that but there is only space enough for twelve or so bikes. The plans state refer to engineering drawings for the motorcycle parking, where can we peruse those drawings as I would very much like to have a look. It's a long shot bu the drawings put up on the symonds street parking might not be accurate and where it says there will be motorcycle parking, there will actually be quite a bit. I reckon though a look at the engineering drawing s would be good.

Ixion
13th March 2008, 20:42
I have looked at the plans on the ACC website. They are pretty useless, all they show is trees. And as you say a couple of motorcycle parks.

BUT - I think those planes were drawn up BEFORE Alfred St was closed - they speak of doing that in the future.

So I wonder if they have included on the plans the motorcycle parking that was in Symonds St before the Alfred St closure, but not the parking that was put in place to replace Alfred St. Which it is *possible* (maybe) it is intended to retain ?

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 20:45

We're still waiting for the fountains and planter boxes on alfred... but all we got is 5x the buses :shit:

We shall see what tomorrow brings...

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 22:09
I reckon though a look at the engineering drawing s would be good.

yeah i still haven't had the chance to properly look for them.... maybe later tonight

i don't know if your screen displays it, but i printed it out and the parking was white whereas the "planting" was light greay

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 22:26
I have looked at the plans on the ACC website. They are pretty useless, all they show is trees. And as you say a couple of motorcycle parks.

BUT - I think those planes were drawn up BEFORE Alfred St was closed - they speak of doing that in the future.

So I wonder if they have included on the plans the motorcycle parking that was in Symonds St before the Alfred St closure, but not the parking that was put in place to replace Alfred St. Which it is *possible* (maybe) it is intended to retain ?

well then why haven't they updated the given plans?

my searches so far for additional drawings have been largely unsuccessful

i suspect the extra drawings may just be the standards used for the different components (like how deep to plant the tree, gravel/weedmat application etc etc)

Ixion
13th March 2008, 22:30
I think this is so. The drawings I have seen are those needed by the people who will do the actual construction . Where the trees are to go, the busstops etc. The question of whether motorcycles are to be allowed to park along the road is probably not one that the construction people are interested in. We do not need anything constructed, just permission, by and large.

So perhaps the plans showed the motorcycle parking that was there when they were drawn up, just as landmarks. But did not show any new parking because there was nothing for the construction crews to do regarding it. Perhaps.

As to why they have not been updated - well, it would certainly not be the first time an engineering drawing was out of date !

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 22:48
what about the bits referring to a "planting" drawing?

Ixion
13th March 2008, 22:54
I have no idea. What I want to see is a plan of what the finished thing will look like, with parking (or non parking) shown.

Ixion
13th March 2008, 22:57
My other thought is that these are not really engineers drawings they are more workmens' drawings. One does not chnage or meddle lightly with an engineers plans , but it is common for construction crews to vary the construction from the drawing. Landscaping is less restrictive than engineering. So whatever they show at present can probably be changed without too much difficulty.

motorbyclist
14th March 2008, 00:27
My other thought is that these are not really engineers drawings they are more workmens' drawings. One does not chnage or meddle lightly with an engineers plans , but it is common for construction crews to vary the construction from the drawing. Landscaping is less restrictive than engineering. So whatever they show at present can probably be changed without too much difficulty.

right, the official plan of attack for tomorrow is for me to chase up the development manager while squiggles has the meeting with unsafe.

then squiggles will be able to ask about the future of parking and what can/cannot be done

emails will be sent out to club members with news of what exactly is happening

we all go up to strata for a well-earned beer:beer:

sounds like a plan, and as per all SMC plans it's being made within 12 hours of the actual event:first:

Badjelly
14th March 2008, 09:32

I'm sure that was an interesting post, mate, but with the yellow text on the "Light Universe" theme's light blue background, I couldn't read it.

motorbyclist
14th March 2008, 10:04
I'm sure that was an interesting post, mate, but with the yellow text on the "Light Universe" theme's light blue background, I couldn't read it.

you could always highlight it with the mouse to give contrast...

motorbyclist
14th March 2008, 10:30
stay tuned for good news

Badjelly
14th March 2008, 10:44
you could always highlight it with the mouse to give contrast...
Thanks, Didn't think of that. Oops, sorry about the colour!

xwhatsit
14th March 2008, 11:15
stay tuned for good news

C'mon! I've been refreshing this thread for 45 minutes straight :laugh: Missed all my lectures, too!

Ixion
14th March 2008, 11:27
OK. Just got off the phone with Tim Darby, the Parking Delivery Manager (or some such: the dude who decides who gets to park where ) for ACC. He states emphatically , and is prepared to confirm by email, that there will be no loss of motorcycle parking as a result of the central connector (apart perhaps temporarily from when work is actually taking place, eg a tree being inserted)

motorbyclist
14th March 2008, 11:31
oh you spoiled it for squiggles!

though he informs me of win on two counts:D

Magua
14th March 2008, 11:37
What's the second count? The people must know.

Squiggles
14th March 2008, 12:41
OK. Just got off the phone with Tim Darby, the Parking Delivery Manager (or some such: the dude who decides who gets to park where ) for ACC. He states emphatically , and is prepared to confirm by email, that there will be no loss of motorcycle parking as a result of the central connector (apart perhaps temporarily from when work is actually taking place, eg a tree being inserted)

Hehe, i got called by Graham Long about it, he confirmed that the parking will stay as it is, on both sides of the road. And that if we loose some while construction is under way temp parking can be set up, but this shouldnt be a problem as the work isnt expected to start until around exam time in the second semester/end of year, when the parks wont be near capacity.

Also asked about what the bike parks will look like when its done....
They plan to have two curbs, a small one to go from the street to the parks, then another from the parks to the curb, with the area inbetween levelled off (cant be sealed due to the trees etc)

Now, and here's where we could win a bit, as they havent ordered materials yet, there's a chance for small additions/modifications. I made a point of the security of bikes parked out there, and suggested a ground rail as they have down at the library. The Chance of that is apparently very good, what with the curb to be installed and ground work. I shall put it in writing to him and hopefully that will eventuate, just have to keep pushing it ;)

motorbyclist
14th March 2008, 12:44
could we push for more bike parking also? we do need it.

SPman
14th March 2008, 12:53
who trains the civl engineers in this country?? i mean seriously where do they get their qualifications from?!?!!
Auckland University...........

motorbyclist
14th March 2008, 12:56
main post updated

see you guys at strata!

oh, and if the parking wont be sealed, how are our bikes going to stay upright? not everyone has a centrestand.....

Squiggles
14th March 2008, 13:11
main post updated

see you guys at strata!

oh, and if the parking wont be sealed, how are our bikes going to stay upright? not everyone has a centrestand.....

Not sealed, but packed down, as they are at the moment (but have worn away through neglect, and as they were on alfred street, so not dirt but the solid clay with gravel/shells in it

We could probably push for a few more spaces, but i'd push to have some further down symonds out by arts :sunny:

motorbyclist
14th March 2008, 14:18
Not sealed, but packed down, as they are at the moment (but have worn away through neglect, and as they were on alfred street, so not dirt but the solid clay with gravel/shells in it

We could probably push for a few more spaces, but i'd push to have some further down symonds out by arts :sunny:

ah good

so would i, having all the health sciences, law and biology student walking up and down the hill seems a bit silly

there is plenty of room between the trees

Squiggles
14th March 2008, 14:54
We have two avenues to persue that one, through the inner city corridor project, and through mr thomlinson and whichever local body has juristiction over that area.

Nagash
14th March 2008, 17:49
Well it seems the council has handled this whole thing quite intelligently from my view.. doing construction while there's less people around. still keeping the spaces and even considering improvements.

I reckon atleast after this, people should start cutting the council a wee bit of a slack, they're not completely rubbish..

Patar
14th March 2008, 18:15
I retain the right to keep my view of the ACC, as dark and cynical as it may be; it didn't get that way for no reason...

Well it seems the council has handled this whole thing quite intelligently from my view.. doing construction while there's less people around. still keeping the spaces and even considering improvements.

I reckon atleast after this, people should start cutting the council a wee bit of a slack, they're not completely rubbish..

motorbyclist
14th March 2008, 23:35

yes and no

the improvements were asked for in our submissions feb 2007

they haven't yet put in more parking to cope with the ever-growing demand

if you ask me, the buslane is a waste of time. on that bit of road it isn't neccessary at all, and now the single remaining traffic lane will act as a bottle neck for the rest of symonds street.

and the plans provided are misleading...

but they are still open to our suggestions, so gotta give them credit for that.

isn't it sad how we always refer to governing bodies we elected through a democratic system as "them"?

Swoop
18th March 2008, 07:36
For now though, i'd like to see them try and tow the tl from its nice, out of the way, park :msn-wink:
Here is a cunning little idea.
If you have a group of riders arriving and leaving at about the same time each day... Get all the bikes formed into a circle with one wheel of each bike in the centre of the circle. Then get everyones chain/cablelock and put them through the inner wheel then through the next persons chain. All interlinked. Let's see a towie attempt to tow any of the bikes involved in one of these "mutual security" systems.

motorbyclist
3rd April 2008, 10:21
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1502940

i think this needs to be nipped in the bud ASAP

motorbyclist
3rd April 2008, 10:24
OH, and it appears the uni actually knows very little about what's gong on. a student rep heard me ranting a while ago and asked what the story was at an engineering meeting. the news about the plan for a ped crossing was new to them! now i've sent in those plans to a person who asked for them for a big uni wide meeting, waiting on the results.

you'd think they'd take a bit more interest in something as major as this

Squiggles
3rd April 2008, 10:37
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1502940

i think this needs to be nipped in the bud ASAP

Ill go for a ride up there when i finish, but i suspect its just motorcycle parking as usual, with some pay and display for cars as well

motorbyclist
3rd April 2008, 10:57
update; a poster in the other thread said it's privately owned parking, not the council this time

might pay to check it first

Folcan
8th April 2008, 18:27
Not wanting to start a new thread.. and its sorta on topic, to do with the changing of symonds street

Anyone else seen how they have converted 1.5 lanes into 2 lanes now.. makes it impossible to filter at that intersection thats at the end of symonds st near quay st not sure what that road is called customs east or something...

the buses that come hurling down symonds street make me shudder... and that was before they changed the lanes. Im sure they were passing within a few cm of the mirrors of the cages infront of me :S

Magua
8th April 2008, 18:31
Anzac street. I rode down it today, the traffic was insane :S Morons parking and taking up nearly the whole lane. :@

motorbyclist
9th April 2008, 00:40
how else do you think they intend to put the extra bus lanes on the uni part of symonds street?

it's really unbeleivable what the council does in the name of public transport.
we want to reduce conjestion, so public transport is chosen as a solution and in implementing it they make conjestion markedly worse AND more dangerous!

bomma
9th April 2008, 16:15
make your votes count.......mmmmm chicken