PDA

View Full Version : Biker injured by yobs who strung tape across road

Bob
12th March 2008, 01:32
Edinburgh, Scotland: A biker was lucky to avoid serious injury when he struck tape strung across a busy road.

Sean O’Neill, 45, suffered a dislocated shoulder in the incident, which has prevented him from working for two weeks.

Mr O'Neill said he believed the incident could have decapitated him. He said: "All I could hear was frantic shouting and I thought there was an assault happening. Then I saw the black video tape and it was at the perfect height to cut my head off as it was at throat level. I slammed on my brakes and the tape hit my throat and started stretching so before it took my head off I deliberately fell to the side to stop and the bike landed on me.”

"I saw two guys in their late teens running off. I think they could have been shouting at me when they saw me as they probably had put the tape up for a bus or a car and had worried when they saw a motorcyclist."

A police spokesman said: "Although the motorcyclist was riding at only 30mph, he was still lucky not to have been seriously injured as a result of being forced to fall off his bike.

"Whoever carried out this stunt may have thought it was a prank, but their actions could have resulted in someone being badly hurt."

BiK3RChiK
12th March 2008, 07:23
I have (at least) twice seen this while in my work van... The kids think it is funny as hell! Don't think it doesn't happen here!

Young ones don't think about all the scenarios'/consequences of their actions, so be aware!!

M

BIHB@0610
12th March 2008, 07:32
20 years ago in Tauranga my ex was riding a suburban road when he was dragged off his bike by a power line slung low over the road. The linesmen had dropped the line down when working on it. He still has the scar around his throat. Luckily he wasn't completely garotted, and there's no lasting damage.

Amazing what you've got to keep an eye out for .......:blink:

breakaway
12th March 2008, 09:34
I have (at least) twice seen this while in my work van... The kids think it is funny as hell! Don't think it doesn't happen here!

Young ones don't think about all the scenarios'/consequences of their actions, so be aware!!

M

Should have stopped, gotten out, and cracked some skulls. The only language these 'teens' understand is violence.

swbarnett
12th March 2008, 14:26
Had a similar incident on the bicycle a number of years back with fishing line. I was doing about 30kph when I hit it. Luckily it was on a bridge and the highest thing they could tie it to was the railing. This put it just below handlebar height and not at neck height. By the time I'd managed to stop the line had stretched far enough to cut my leg. If that had been at neck height I'd definitely have lost my head.

YellowDog
12th March 2008, 14:33
Shit!

Kids with a conscience!

Hopefully they won't do it again.

I wouldn't have thought tape would pe strong enough and would just snap.

W R O N G - Must have been pretty scarey for him.

I am not in favour of violence to address problems in general.

This is the kind of scenario where learn a lesson smack round the head would be appropriate.

HungusMaximist
12th March 2008, 19:28
Similar story in the paper while I was living in Melbourne.

Although that time it wasn't tape or anything but actually some sort of galvanized wire.

What happened was there is a motorcyclist who had to get up and warm up his 1000 cc bike to head off to work around 4-5 am every morning. On one of the occasions he returned/left home he managed to hit a wire drawn out outside their street but fortunately it only slapped the top of his helmet/visor.

The biker mentioned that he had a gut feeling it was a local and most likely one of his neighbours.

Livvy
28th March 2008, 10:21
Some people should be shot... Can't believe how someone could do something like that and not think "hey, a bus might come around first, filled with school children, driver might panic and crash" or "senior citizen in their car whom might have a heart attack at hitting the wire" or "motorcyclist!"...

Stupidity kills... But sadly more often than not, an intelligent innocent and not the prick of an idiot.

vifferman
28th March 2008, 11:09
Amazing what you've got to keep an eye out for .......:blink:
Yes.
I have a scar on my ankle from a low-lying (which is the best way to lie) piece of barbed wire that dragged me off my bike when I innocently rode past it.

Oh - that reminds me of a story my father (Satan: say "Hi!" to him for me, willya?) told me years ago.
When he was young (must've been a LONG time ago, as coincidentally, today would've been his 80th birthday if he wasn't toasting politician's bottoms for Satan)...WTF?! where was I?
Oh yeah...
Years ago, in 1823 or thereabouts, he was a student at D'Auckland University, and doing summat in a lab. The bench overlooked the street. A guy on a motorcycle rode past, wearing a long coat, which just as he rode past the lab flapped into the back wheel, winding him off the back of the bike.
The gurrl next to my dad (only he wasn't my dad then) got such a fright, she dropped the flask she was holding, splashing her clothes with acid. They whisked her under the emergency shower, whereupon her clothes disintegrated. :blink: (Hmmm... should've asked my dad if she had nice norx, that kinda thing...)
They had to pay for the broken glassware, chemicals, etc.
Oops...

:buggerd:

mstriumph
28th March 2008, 11:15
what have i been telling you??

they ARE out to get you!!