PDA

View Full Version : 96 BMW 650 Battery over charging

imac
12th March 2008, 10:20
I’m having a bit of trouble with my 95 BMW 650. It looks like it is over charging the battery. There is corrosion around the battery terminals and I cannot see the fluid levels in the battery. The battery is about 3 months old.
Any idea what might be causing this and what tests I can perform

Thanks
Mac

imac
12th March 2008, 10:44
Having browsed previous threads I have answered my own question I think but if anyone has experienced the same problem I appreciate any advice. Thanks

jim.cox
12th March 2008, 11:00
I’m having a bit of trouble with my 95 BMW 650. It looks like it is over charging the battery. There is corrosion around the battery terminals and I cannot see the fluid levels in the battery. The battery is about 3 months old.
Any idea what might be causing this and what tests I can perform

Thanks
Mac

I'm no sparky and electrics are a dark to me but I've just gone through the same thing with my ducati...

Corrosion on the terminals usually is not a big problem - it should come off with hot water

Top up the fuild level and recharge your battery

Put a volt meter across the terminals of the battery.

Engine off you should see somewhere around 11.5 - 12.5 volts

Engine idling nearer 12.5 volts

Engine at 2000 rpm I would expect maybe 13.5 volts

Engine at 5000 also 13.5 or there abouts.

That is the regulator should kick in somewhere around there and should limit the current to about 13.5.

If you are seeing a change as the revs rise (above 2000) or if the voltage goes above 14 you do have a problem...

Hope this helps

Jim

F5 Dave
12th March 2008, 16:28
Just a note, some more modern bikes tend to push the envelop a little & they will go up to 14.5 Volts. Irrespective if the regulator is fried the volts will just keep going well & beyond.

A meter is super cheap at erm, Dicky Smith or somewhere & easy to use.