PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan not working at 106 deg, normal?

davew
12th March 2008, 17:22
Hi guys

'97 GSXR750

Does anyone know what temperature the fans should start running at?

Yesterday when I got home after being in traffic I noticed the electric fan wasn't running, the engine temp was 106 deg c, I would have guessed it should have started at 100 deg c.
I asked a friend about it today; He said his R1 fans came on at 115 deg c but he wasn't sure if that was normal ether.

Thanks
Dave :shifty:

owner
12th March 2008, 17:28
my fan kicks in @ 104 have seen it hit 111. bikes still going.
but then you own a suzuki so you might wanna get that looked at

laRIKin
12th March 2008, 17:29
My Daytona comes on about 105c (I think can't always hear it come on)

If you look for the sender (on the radiator) it should have a number on the side (of the nut?) when it comes on.

johan
12th March 2008, 18:13
Check the fan's fuse, it might be blown.

Also, the water in the system is pressurised, so it wont boil till well after 110. I think you only have to worry if coolant is released from the expansion hose.

onearmedbandit
12th March 2008, 18:19
Had a '97 GSXR750 as my last bike, the fan kicked in at 107 deg.

NinjaBoy
12th March 2008, 18:21
Mine comes on at 100 and at 120+ it flashes a warning and should shut down the engine. The fan alone should bring the temp down until it switches off. If the fan is not cooling then you be low on coolant in the radiator ... even if the overflow bottle is full.

rainman
12th March 2008, 18:43
Don't know for the GSXR, you'd need the manual for that.

On my bike there's a sender that triggers the fan at 100 and another that does the red light to say the fan isn't working at 120. Both are munted so I have a switch that overrides the fan for when I know the bike is warm and needs the fan to be on.

I keep meaning to build a LED bar graph temperature display with a automagical fan activator. Even bought all the bits. All I need now is the time.... :Oops:

Or I could just buy a set of senders from Atomic for $80.

homer
12th March 2008, 19:55
Hi guys

'97 GSXR750

Does anyone know what temperature the fans should start running at?

Yesterday when I got home after being in traffic I noticed the electric fan wasn't running, the engine temp was 106 deg c, I would have guessed it should have started at 100 deg c.
I asked a friend about it today; He said his R1 fans came on at 115 deg c but he wasn't sure if that was normal ether.

Thanks
Dave :shifty:

Your only thinking of 100 deg cause water boils then
your forgetting that the coolant isnt just water,and is under pressure so the boil point will be far greater

yod
12th March 2008, 20:00
Your only thinking of 100 deg cause water boils then
your forgetting that the coolant isnt just water,and is under pressure so the boil point will be far greater

peace sells :headbang:

DIN PELENDA
12th March 2008, 20:00
That ic normal my r1 115 deg.