PDA

View Full Version : How often do you buy a new bike?

Jorja
12th March 2008, 19:13
As a new rider, I am on my third bike in one year. Was wondering how often other riders sell their bikes and buy new ones? Do you eventually find one you truely love that you are happy with or are you always searching for the next bike that you 'JUST HAVE TO OWN'.

banditrider
12th March 2008, 19:18
Mine generally hang around for 3-4 years. Broke this rule with the last one (just over a year) when bloody Kawasaki brought out the Connie! But this time I think I'll be hanging onto the bike for a bit longer - would like to put the big 100,000km on it...

Meanwhile my plan is to win lotto so I can get some friends for the Connie!

Pumba
12th March 2008, 19:23
Here I was thining this was DMNTD's thread.

I cant really answer any of the options on the poll as they dont fit me. My fist few bikes were changed pretty regualry as my riding improved but I can see the SV hanging around for a while.

Bonez
12th March 2008, 19:30
Had two bikes for 22 years. One I bought new the other as "a do it upper".
Why? Because I can.

Coyote
12th March 2008, 19:42
I don't get 'new' bikes. I get old ones that eventually cost more than new ones and depreciate further than a cheap bike.

I've had a new bike each year for the last 5 years, haven't got one yet since I can't afford it due to the current one.

AllanB
12th March 2008, 19:54
I owned one from new from 1983 until 19 months ago when I sold it for a GS1200ss - it was time for decent brakes and the ability to corner safely over 110kmph!
Traded the Suzuki 5 months ago on a spanking new 919 Hornet.
Life is good.

I expect to own the Hornet for some time now.

Taz
12th March 2008, 20:17
There's no option for "I do preventative maintenance and keep them forever or at least 10 years or more......."
They don't have to blow up.

ArcherWC
12th March 2008, 20:20
meh, 22 (or so, kinda lost count) bikes in the last 8 years, most of them new, haha, the bike shop loves me

merv
12th March 2008, 20:22
Buy new, keep them near enough forever and have never had one blow up - sell them in top working order.

Current 5 bikes in our garage are 1994, 2004, 2004, 2006 and 2006. 1994 is the VFR which still runs like new.

riffer
12th March 2008, 20:30
I tend to ride mine until they're too old and rooted. I maintain them myself.

Plenty of life left in the RF. It's only done 120,000 kms. :yes:

MVnut
12th March 2008, 20:32
I only buy a new bike once (after that they become old bikes):clap:

cowboyz
12th March 2008, 21:16
up until the 9 I always kept one eye on my "next bike" I would get a new one and then after 3 or 4 months I would be wondering what to change to. Since buying the 9 a year ago I dont even bother looking at what is out there because it is hard to imagine there is something better than what I have got.

Zoolander
12th March 2008, 21:20
Too bloody often - 8 bikes in the past 10 years since I started. Next ones gonna be a keeper though!

Subike
12th March 2008, 21:22
maintain my own bike, have not had one "blow up " yet
had the current bike 5 years, expext to have it for a few more yet.
Only ever bought one new bike. But I was younger and married
we all know what a house full of kids and a mortage does to a bike.......:blink:
So I cant answer your poll either

FROSTY
12th March 2008, 21:23
4 bikes in 12 months---methinks I spoil you girly :love:

Steam
12th March 2008, 21:56
A new bike every six months. But they are second hand bikes. The newest bike I've ever owned was 18 years old.

jim.cox
13th March 2008, 08:09
Never owned a "new" bike

But I've had my Ducati for more than one and a half decades....

Trudes
13th March 2008, 08:16
Bought my Hornet new 2 years ago, and promised to keep it for 10 years as we've spent quite a bit of dough getting it set up perfect for me.
Other bikes are tempting, but I figure if I don't ride them I won't know what I'm missing, and even after riding several other bikes, I still prefer my Hornet.
I rather love my Hornet and when I start getting a bit bored of it I just do something else to it and it renews my interest in it again.
I leave the new bike buying up to the other half and then ride his occasionally.
The bucket building/riding thing is helping with the "need a new bike" syndrome too.:cool:

Meekey_Mouse
13th March 2008, 08:18
Never had a new bike... as of yet... Would like to one day though lol.

So far... I had the GSX250 for the first 2 or 3 months then sold that for the ZXR250 which I owned about another 3 months and I sold that, then bought the RG150 which I've owned this the longest so far at about a year! I also bought the Hyosung 250 whilst owning the RG... That was in the garage for about 3-4months un registered (so off the road) and I road it for 2-3 months then have sold it to by a 600... Which I'm yet to get :banana:

I've only been riding for a bout a yr n a half now :whistle:

ManDownUnder
13th March 2008, 08:24
RF is on 96,000 kms, still pulling like a train and she'll get some well deserved TLC soon but ... if it ain't broke, why fix it?

HornetBoy
13th March 2008, 08:25
Never owned a "new bike "(too depressing seeing how much the re-sale drops) have owned close to new but never from the crate.

roughly change bikes every 6 months to a year ,find it hard to find a bike that really "does it " for me.

Am currently looking at an fz6 or gsxr600 :devil2:

ManDownUnder
13th March 2008, 08:26
As for DMNTD... "every time the second hand passes the 12..."!

Edbear
13th March 2008, 08:46
There's not an option on the poll that fits me. I guess I'm getting old and the Scottish in me is coming to the fore, but I got back into bikes in '03 with an '89 GSX-F600 which I'd probably still have but for the Missus getting back on pillion and wanting more comfort and leg room.:hug:

After chatting to the bank, we found we could get a new bike and be $50 a month better off than we were! :blink:So bought my first new bike! We love it and I'll probably have it until either it or I die!:scooter:

riffer
13th March 2008, 08:56
RF is on 96,000 kms, still pulling like a train and she'll get some well deserved TLC soon but ... if it ain't broke, why fix it?

96,000 kms and TLC soon?

Dude, you gotta run it in first...

Jorja
13th March 2008, 09:04
4 bikes in 12 months---methinks I spoil you girly :love:
I feed you---you feed my new found addiction.Sounds fair to me.

Morcs
13th March 2008, 12:06
In less than 2 years I have owned 6 bikes.

gijoe1313
13th March 2008, 12:14
I'm collecting a new bike every 6 months it seems! :innocent:

Nagash
13th March 2008, 12:15
I've been riding for about 2 years, and have gone in and out of about 9 or 10 bikes.

But they've all been second hand, I just fix 'em up and sell 'em off for a bit more. I don't usually put more than 100k's on the things.

Though i've ridden my Rebel for about a year :D I'm very proud of that thing.

turtleman
13th March 2008, 12:16
Hmmmm .... There's no option for writing them off and "upgrading via insurance".....

:wari:

banditrider
13th March 2008, 17:03
I'm collecting a new bike every 6 months it seems! :innocent:

I'd be keen on starting a collection some day too...Just another reason that you can never have too much $$$$$$

jcupit69
13th March 2008, 20:48
Depends, i will never sell my RS i will simply get another bike aswell. Iv had a 600 in the uk and iv had other 4strokes and i need a 2stroke in my life, i love them :love:

Generally i upgrade when licences permit or if the bike doesnt do what i want it to. Didnt like my 600 in the uk, wasnt nible enough in traffic so was looking to change and just left the country instead :yes:

McJim
13th March 2008, 20:57
I kept my last bike for 51 weeks. Bought it the day after I got my learners and sold it a week before my full licence test.

I will keep my Ducati 600ss as long as I can as it's a lovely little machine and does what I need it to whithout being too scary.

Kittyhawk
13th March 2008, 20:59
Here I was thining this was DMNTD's thread.

I cant really answer any of the options on the poll as they dont fit me. My fist few bikes were changed pretty regualry as my riding improved but I can see the SV hanging around for a while.

Seriously please dude!!! You fist your bikes? what lube you running?

I feed you---you feed my new found addiction.Sounds fair to me.

*puts fingers in ears and sings loud*

Hmmmm .... There's no option for writing them off and "upgrading via insurance".....

:wari:

Just use special shell plating to protect ya bike... turtle sliders should work

Pumba
14th March 2008, 07:06
Seriously please dude!!! You fist your bikes? what lube you running?

Seriously, three pages of posts scince taht one and you have to be the one to pick that up:brick:

But as far as lubrication goes I have found Scott Oil to work quite well:blip:

(My apologies an I will stop now before this gets consined to PD)

avgas
14th March 2008, 07:09
i buy a new bike every 6 months......but then i have to return it as i have no money to pay for it.
meh

Dooly
14th March 2008, 07:46
Have brought 5 bikes in the last year and a bit.
Kinda happy with what I've got now. One definately is a keeper for a long time, the Ducati, and the Speed Triple I'm more than happy with too.

heyjoe
14th March 2008, 09:01
Last bike I had was a span of 20 years. It was still in great nick and with a very happy new owner. My replacement bikes potential tour of duty with me ... who knows?

neels
14th March 2008, 09:28
Never bought a new bike, I live at the bottom of the food chain.

Sold the first one for a crate after I trashed it, the next because I needed the money, third one after re-rego was too hard (Yamaha 360 that's now racing pre '82), now on a 17 year old 600 that I'll see if I can get to 100k.

Still got the Puch scooter I bought about 20 years ago, back on the road very soon :shit:

vifferman
14th March 2008, 09:33
Option 7: I keep my bikes till they're dead (written off), I'm bored, or my wife talks me into buying another one.
Average is just over 3 years, which coincidentally is how long I've had the current one.

Kittyhawk
14th March 2008, 11:59
Seriously, three pages of posts scince taht one and you have to be the one to pick that up:brick:

But as far as lubrication goes I have found Scott Oil to work quite well:blip:

(My apologies an I will stop now before this gets consined to PD)

I happend to be reading while my other hand was busy....it stuck out like somethin with a neon arrow

And no Scott Oil dont work the best, you need those little cute bottles of ky

fireball
14th March 2008, 12:10
it depends on my mood to how soon i get a new toy.... and i will be looking at a new toy very soon... after the rebuild rawberry will be sold and i get to purchase a BRAND NEW bike but i will prob keep that untill after getting my full. i have gone through 4 bikes in the last 8 months:Oops: