PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Sikh biker to appeal turban ban

Bob
13th March 2008, 01:18
A Sikh motorcyclist is to challenge Canadian law over the decision that he must wear a motorcycle helmet as opposed to a turban.

Baljinder Badesha, 39 lost an appeal against a ticket he received for not wearing a helmet. Sikhs must wear a turban outside of the home and cannot cover it.

"This time I will not fight for myself, but I will challenge Ontario's law in the larger interests of all Sikhs who want to ride a bike," Badesha said.

The World Sikh Organization of Canada (WSO) issued a statement expressing disappointment at the court's decision, saying "A turban is an important Sikh article of faith that shouldn't be covered by any other object.”

The United Kingdom grants an exemption to Sikhs on religious grounds.

Bikernereid
13th March 2008, 02:48
These people have been challenging wearing the mountie uniform too. They want to wear their turban and not the traditional mountie uniform. They are aware of the inform requirements so if they are not prepared to adhere to this uniform then they should not join the Mounted Police.

The same argument goes for wearing a motobike bike helmet. But then again there is always the counter argument of Darwin; let the most able and fitest survive!!

Soul.Trader
13th March 2008, 06:23
I think when we're talking about our own personal safety, freedom of choice should come first. Why shouldn't this guy wear whatever he wants on his own bike? Why is it anyone else's business? Having said that, I dont see any grounds for having the ticket remitted - the law's the law, and if his religious convictions were so important, he wont mind giving up riding for the sake of eternal happiness.

Bikernereid
13th March 2008, 06:35
I have yet to see a Sihk on a motorbike without a helmet. Maybe they are just smarter/ less religious over here or just not into bikes.

Then thing that gets me is who will pay for them if they are seriously injured and need medical assitance care after an accident whilst not wearing a helmet- the tax payer that is who?!

xwhatsit
13th March 2008, 07:06
Then thing that gets me is who will pay for them if they are seriously injured and need medical assitance care after an accident whilst not wearing a helmet- the tax payer that is who?!

If he's not got a helmet, the poor chap will more likely just crack his nut open anyway and there'll be no expenses bar the clean-up and investigation etc.

I'm all for personal choice, too -- provided there's proper education first, so people know what they're getting into.

Usarka
13th March 2008, 07:19
I think when we're talking about our own personal safety, freedom of choice should come first. Why shouldn't this guy wear whatever he wants on his own bike? Why is it anyone else's business? Having said that, I dont see any grounds for having the ticket remitted - the law's the law, and if his religious convictions were so important, he wont mind giving up riding for the sake of eternal happiness.

I agree regarding personal choice, but i dont agree with people being granted exemptions to laws because their "beliefs" happen to be one of the few sanctioned check boxes on a list.

The NZ Jedi believe that speed binds the force of the universe, and travelling less than 120km on the open road is the ultimate insult to our faith.

Bikernereid
13th March 2008, 07:33
+1

Since when did religion superceed the law? If we allow such madness we will end up letting people off murder because it is part of thier 'belief/ faith system'.

The law for helmets is there for a reason.

I agree regarding personal choice, but i dont agree with people being granted exemptions to laws because their "beliefs" happen to be one of the few sanctioned check boxes on a list.

The NZ Jedi believe that speed binds the force of the universe, and travelling less than 120km on the open road is the ultimate insult to our faith.

Coyote
13th March 2008, 08:17
I propose a ban on speed limits as it goes against my religion!

Steam
13th March 2008, 08:24
Some of you are sounding very PC today.
PC bikers who want to force laws on people who'll hurt only themselves?

Oh, maybe it's because he's got a wacky religion, that'd explain it.

Hinny
13th March 2008, 09:04
+1

Since when did religion supersede the law? If we allow such madness we will end up letting people off murder because it is part of their 'belief/ faith system'.

We do in this country.
A guy was acquitted of causing grievous bodily harm or attempted murder after shoving a pencil up the eye socket of a woman he was romantically(?) involved with. Pleaded through his American lawyer that he was possessed by a Maori demon. Matuku? made him do it. Nah! maybe not him as he was a cannibal of harsh character, brought up by one his sea-ancestors who taught him the art of making and flying kites.

Ixion
13th March 2008, 10:31
Sikhs are exempt from the helemt wearing law in this country

(8)A person is not in breach of subclause (1) if the person proves that at the time of the commission of the alleged breach he or she was an adherent of the Sikh religion.

Grub
13th March 2008, 10:40
Some of you are sounding very PC today.
PC bikers who want to force laws on people who'll hurt only themselves?.

That was my intial reaction too ... and was going to say so. Then I realised that the cost of caring for him in a veg state for years will come donw on ACC who will then pump up the motorcycle levy as a consequence.

So now my view is - nil tollerance. The helmet covers the hair, go into the toilet to take helmet off and put turban on.

xwhatsit
13th March 2008, 11:55
Don't know anything about Sikhs, but if we were really keen on making them wear helmets (not that it seems to be a very important issue, I don't meet many splattered Sikh motorsicklists on my daily commute), could there possibly be a `Sikh-approved helmet' manufactured? I.e., a helmet that qualifies as a turban -- or a turban with a protective lining?

Kind of like a Halal helmet :laugh:

Steam
13th March 2008, 12:10
This guy should be okay I reckon...
Maybe he has a helmet under there?

Ixion
13th March 2008, 12:13
Yes. That would be quite possible. Back in the days before Sobraon and Aliwal, the Amritdhari of the Khalsa often used to incorporate an iron cap into the turban. For obvious reasons.

But, in fact, the turban is not a religious requirement for Sikhs. It is not one of the 5 Ks. What is required for a "orthodox" Sikh is Kesh, the non-cutting of the hair, and combing with the Kanga, or wooden comb. Because they do not cut their hair, some form of head covering is required.

Guru Gobind Singh said

My Sikh shall not use the razor. For him the use of razor or shaving the chin shall be as sinful as incest. For the Khalsa such a symbol is prescribed so that a Sikh cannot remain undistinguishable from among a hundred thousand Hindus or Muslims; because how can he hide himself with hair and turban on his head and with a flowing beard?

But many (most ?) Sikhs nowdays are not Khalsa. They are Sahajdhari , or non-orthodox Sikhs. Who cut their hair, and in many cases do not even wear the Kara, the iron bangle. So there seems no reaosn why they should not wear a helmet. And, I suspect, most do.

R6_kid
13th March 2008, 14:10
This guy should be okay I reckon...
Maybe he has a helmet under there?

he dont look to happy for a religious type...

Chrislost
13th March 2008, 19:16

Wheres the petition, Ill sign that!

Bikernereid
14th March 2008, 07:57
for the love of God, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We do in this country.
A guy was acquitted of causing grievous bodily harm or attempted murder after shoving a pencil up the eye socket of a woman he was romantically(?) involved with. Pleaded through his American lawyer that he was possessed by a Maori demon. Matuku? made him do it. Nah! maybe not him as he was a cannibal of harsh character, brought up by one his sea-ancestors who taught him the art of making and flying kites.

Blossom
14th March 2008, 08:13
I had something really deep and meaningful to write but well honestly ... Why bother. If the idiot wants to play darwinism who am I to complain. Obviously most other Sikh's have enough brains to wear a helmet as noone seems to have seen them on the road without one.
Next thing will be the homies who want to wear their 'caps' because it is against their faith to take it off. Good greif.
Ok so I suck at being brief. :lol:

Bikernereid
14th March 2008, 09:03
You can guarantee that all the PC brigade would be up in arms if this guy got seriously injured and the health care providers told him to get stuffed they wouldn't pay out it was his own fault.

Hinny
17th March 2008, 23:34
he dont look to happy for a religious type...

Isn't it a common perception that religious types cause most wars?

Bikernereid
17th March 2008, 23:48
+1.............

Isn't it a common perception that religious types cause most wars?

goodguy8
17th March 2008, 23:55
I gotta few things to add to this highly debatable post:mad:

> Ixion knows quite alot about sikh religion itself, im surprised.
> My old man is a sikh but he doesnt ride a bike after my grandma died of a motorbike accident.. but he never stopped me from riding one..
> I dont have a turban or anything so I gotta wear a helmet..
> Turbans from what ive been told by my olds, can be a as good as a helmet BUT it really depends upon how tight or loose its tied.. and that my friends, is a personal choice..
> I hate ppl being so naive about religion,try and be open minded sometimes.
> In Great country of the G bush, if the government can let bikers choose if they wanna wear a helmet or not, why cant we.. its called Democracy..

Watch this for a laugh.. not related to sikhs whatsoever, but still wearing a turban..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go :niceone:

Ride Safe.. and hope to c u all on the road sumtym.. :chase:

Sanx
20th March 2008, 13:16
You can also get medical dispensation for not wearing a helmet in this country, I've been told. My doctor offered me one (as a joke - whenever I turn up to the surgery in bike gear, he always makes some crack about why he bothers to treat me, as I'll be dead soon anyway. I'd be insulted if he wasn't a biker too) a while back when a condition I had meant putting a helmet on could be quite painful.

Sanx
20th March 2008, 13:21
Sikhs are exempt from the helemt wearing law in this country

But only if they're going REALLLLLY slowly:

1) A person must not drive or ride on an all terrain vehicle, on a motorcycle, in a sidecar, or on a moped on a road unless the person is wearing a safety helmet of an approved standard that is securely fastened.
(8) A person is not in breach of subclause (1) if the person proves that at the time of the commission of the alleged breach he or she was an adherent of the Sikh religion.
(9) Subclause (8) does not apply if the vehicle was being driven at a speed exceeding 50 km per hour.

Brownbikerbabe
20th March 2008, 14:18
I couldn't resist, because it just gets my blood pressure up when I read things like this.

I propose each country have a law of Assimilation!!!

If you leave your country to live in another country, you must assimilate to that countries ways, laws etc. Practice your religion freely or in private and do not try to impose it on the rules and regulations of another country and feel that they owe you something because you decided to join the police force and do a service for the country that you immigrated to and then segragate yourself by living in small all indian communities or any cultural community for that matter and change the signs of your stores to your language so that no one understands WTF you are selling!

You want to wear your turban? Then don't bloody well knowingly choose a profession where you shouldn't be wearing one!

Do you think any of you would get away with that shit in India?...Hell No! There would be riots in the streets! People may even try to kill you and your family! There wouldn't be any commitees sitting around wondering about your rights! They may even throw your ass in jail for even stirring any kind of shit up and causing inconvenience!

Hey, why don't you walk your ass into a Sikh Temple and try to impose your Christian ways on them...see what happens! Let's see if there are any Indians running to form a commitee to save your ass.

Did you know that the indian police wear turbans? Yes, you would have to wear one at the ceremonies, at least! And NO! you wouldn't have the freedom to choose!

I am Canadian, FIRST!! From an east indian background! I live in Ontario, and I am sick of this crap!

One thing the Americans do have correct is if you go there to live permanently.
#1 you have to learn the language.
#2 you are American first! (Patriotism!)

Assimilation! #1 Law that needs to be passed!

Sorry for the rant! Just my very heated opinion!

idb
20th March 2008, 14:54
Maybe there's a market for a bloody big helmet that fits over the turban.
It would look as silly as hell, (a bit like the Residents) but if they have to wear the thing then so be it.

Brownbikerbabe
20th March 2008, 15:13
Meet Russell Peters!
He is Canadian!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3deFXnewLig&feature

ajturbo
20th March 2008, 17:15
I couldn't resist, because it just gets my blood pressure up when I read things like this.

I propose each country have a law of Assimilation!!!

I am Canadian, FIRST!! From an east indian background! I live in Ontario, and I am sick of this crap!

Assimilation! #1 Law that needs to be passed!

Sorry for the rant! Just my very heated opinion!

i was asked yesterday, when i phoned up a doctor ( first time in a decade) was i maori? European? etc...
no i said.. i am a fucking New Zealander..
i was born here in New Zealand..
therefor i am a New Zealander....:Pokey:

:Oi:that person should fuck off home if they don't like the local rules!!!!!!!!!!!!