PDA

View Full Version : Harley V Rod First Ride

swanman
2nd December 2004, 20:29
I have just ridden my first Harley and it was a V rod. I have never ridden a cruiser before and I reckon this is one of the best on the market.

I have always had sports bikes and currently run a R1. I now this guy at work and he told me had a V rod. I suggested we go for a ride, and swop bikes. So this evening that is exactly what we did around the East coast behind Manukau. Good roads and the weather turned excellent.

Jesus what a difference. To step from an R1 to a Harley! Couple a things hit you straight away, low, pegs seem rediculously forward and high, and the front end seems to disapear into the far distance. Start it up with a key down on the right hand side of the engine, then a prod on the starter button (like normal bikes). A low, throaty roar erupts from the non-standard Vance and Hines pipes. A twist of the throttle and quite a rorty twin rumble erupts, hmm this thing may have some poke.

Down the highway and some other things become quickly apparent. The wind whisltes up your trousers and hits you full in the chest. It is though pretty comfy and well kinda cruisy.

Speeds up to 120 kmh no probs, except wind force gets stronger. Indicators are kinda different but easy. An indicator on each handlebar, and they self cancel, this aint not japanese thing. Surprisingly this motor likes to be wound up, below 4000 there aint much there, after it there is some decent torquey drive, so it actually pays to twist the throttle and play with the 5 speed gear box.

I then change back on to the R1 whilst I gather my thoughts. AN hour or so later after a great supper of snapper and chips looking over the water to the Coromandel peninsula; I had another go. This time the road was dry, twisty and hilly. So, I thought, lets see if this thing handles.
Well after a great 30-40 km or so the answer is "sort of."

Cornering technique is very different. For a start on the tighter bends, your heels touch down! Actually the Rod holds a good stable line and feels planted, but you must maintain drive to the rear wheel, no drive and the bike just wants to fall over. On faster corners I just felt the begining of a wallow coming on, but nothing too alarming. I reckon in fact a well driven rod could show an averagely driven sports bike a clean pair of heels. Straight line speed is good, surprsingly good. The R1 will take it but not by such a margin as I thought!! The engine doesn't feel stressed or buzzy is just does it thing, picks up it skirts and boogies on.

By the end of the ride I actually enjoyed my V Rod experience. It is a relaxed ride, and has very good road manners indeed. You get a lot of enjoyment from riding at a pace which is actually pretty legal. That makes a nice change. Oh and you do get a lot of envious looks as you go along.

WHen I got back on the R1, I could not believe how taught and wired it felt in comparison, like the real race bike that it is. Chalk and cheese, black and white, but both bikes great fun in their own way. :yes:

Yamahamaman
2nd December 2004, 20:39
By the end of the ride I actually enjoyed my V Rod experience. It is a relaxed ride, and has very good road manners indeed. You get a lot of enjoyment from riding at a pace which is actually pretty legal. That makes a nice change. Oh and you do get a lot of envious looks as you go along.

And you don't have to wave at any other motorcyclist as they don't expect it from a Harley rider :laugh:

swanman
2nd December 2004, 20:41
Very good point.

jrandom
2nd December 2004, 20:43
Ah, but you can still buy matching His and Hers R1s for the same price as a V-Rod...

swanman
2nd December 2004, 20:45
Another very good point.

scumdog
3rd December 2004, 01:48
Nice to see a comparison like it really is, not like how someone dreamed or thought it should be. :first:

duckman
3rd December 2004, 13:56
Thanks for the write-up Swanman, I've often wondered how the V-rod rode. It's always better to get a "riders" impression of a bike than trust those dodgy editorals in motorbike magazines.

I'd love to take a V-rod out for a test ride but I doubt any bike shops would let me.... hint hint ... Lou, where are you ??? :)

vifferman
3rd December 2004, 14:08
Very interesting, Swanman.

I've read reviews before, but it's a bit different to get a 'real' point of view.
So, what did your workmate think of the R1?

swanman
3rd December 2004, 19:27
Funnily enough he has owned many sports bikes, but this is the fastest bike that he has ever ridden.

RiderInBlack
3rd December 2004, 19:36
Awesome review, Swanman:2thumbsup . Well written. Must give this a try sometime.

Coldkiwi
6th December 2004, 12:26
interesting write up Swanman. I was kindly loaned a 1200 Sportster for a quick ride last month (thanks Whitey!) and while I didn't get a chance to go find some twisty hills I must admit it was a bit of fun (so long as you didn't need to use the clutch or want to find neutral).

I had to chuckle at yamahaman's comments about waving. I passed a few bikers while riding the sportster and duly waved but instead of waving back, they all just looked very surprised!!

Cajun
6th December 2004, 13:45
interesting write up Swanman. I was kindly loaned a 1200 Sportster for a quick ride last month (thanks Whitey!) and while I didn't get a chance to go find some twisty hills I must admit it was a bit of fun (so long as you didn't need to use the clutch or want to find neutral).

I had to chuckle at yamahaman's comments about waving. I passed a few bikers while riding the sportster and duly waved but instead of waving back, they all just looked very surprised!!
i know the feeling i spend alot of time on the father in laws vn1500, when riding a group we would all change around bikes, so we all had turns on the 1500 crusier, the zzr250 or the bandit 600, i wave and anything and everything, alot of the hard out 1000cc sport bikes would turn side ways when you wave out to them when on the vn1500, even worse when you are cracking it over thru tha corner, when they see ya do it

White trash
10th December 2004, 06:52
I reckon in fact a well driven rod could show an averagely driven sports bike a clean pair of heels.

Apparently, they'll show even a well ridden sports bike a clean pair too, eh Deano?

Good write up Swan'. Funnily enough, exactly how I interpret a 'Rod. Well done.

Cajun
10th December 2004, 11:58
Apparently, they'll show even a well ridden sports bike a clean pair too, eh Deano?

Good write up Swan'. Funnily enough, exactly how I interpret a 'Rod. Well done. you are around trash man (c:<