PDA

View Full Version : VIN check... your thoughts please?

Ragingrob
13th March 2008, 19:19
Ok well my mate checked out a VT250 the other day, from '89. Looks in pretty good condition hasn't been binned or anything, engine ran sweet as, new tyres, decent chain, looked pretty good overall.

Now, the odometer says 36k on it. The guy did mention that there has been a new engine put in at some point, and as I said the engine did run sweet as no problems. My mate pretty much said alright I'll take it sounds good and gave a couple of hundy as a deposit.

Thought he better get it VIN checked just in case and received it today saying that the bike had done 99k way back in Jan 2007. Mate rang the dude and he said oh yeah the mechanic wound the k's back to what the new engine's done... :doh:

So pretty much my mate has made a deposit but now found out some extra info which isn't too great, and I've got two questions...

1) Would you still buy a bike with a new engine even if the body's done 100k or so and is in (what seems to be) fine condition?

2) What would you say the etiquitte is regarding the fact my mate's made the deposit but perhaps wants to pull out now?

Any thoughts appreciated cheers guys!

JimO
13th March 2008, 19:22
for a start i would be wanting reciepts for the work done or it may have just been wound back without the engine being replaced and im pretty shure that winding the speedo back aint allowed either

Bren
13th March 2008, 22:18
he has been mis-informed, and on that case i am sure he would be entitled to his deposit back...I would not touch it with a barge pole...ya dont know what else has been covered up...

Ragingrob
13th March 2008, 22:19
Yep I think that's the line we're gonna take ay... Sort it out ASAP get deposit and back to scouring Trademe.

Conquiztador
14th March 2008, 06:24
If bike has WOF and Rego and price is under, say $1,5K and the bike is sweet and runs well, I would not be too concerned. And if the motor is a exchange one (should be able to check based on the number on motor and frame) then why not? Very few bikes that old has no history. So why not take it for a check or bring someone who knows his stuff with you and then make up your mind. Also, it might be a god excuse to get a better price...

Good Luck.

JimBob
14th March 2008, 07:06
Wouldnt worry about it.
Is there actually a problem with the bike?
If its in good condition, runs well, and a fair price, thats all that really matters.

Its 20yrs old, you have to take it at face value, if you worry about what my or may not have been done to it in its lifetime, buy a new bike.
Every secondhand bike has a history of some sort.

Apart from that you should do your vin check and mechanical check before parting with any cash.
cheers

Ragingrob
14th March 2008, 07:10
Yeah all good points... Pretty much we checked it out, odometer says 36k on it and he didn't mention anything about winding back...

Priced at $2,600 which I would think is a LOT for a bike that's supposedly done what, 136k??

We are gonna go reinspect it with the k's in mind and if much looks like it's ready to go we'll walk away.

avgas
14th March 2008, 07:21
If he is not payin big bucks then its no major.
but who is sayin there is a new motor in there?

Conquiztador
15th March 2008, 01:58
Yeah all good points... Pretty much we checked it out, odometer says 36k on it and he didn't mention anything about winding back...

Priced at $2,600 which I would think is a LOT for a bike that's supposedly done what, 136k??

We are gonna go reinspect it with the k's in mind and if much looks like it's ready to go we'll walk away.

$2,6K is a fraction more then I would pay. But it comes down to what she is like, what else there is that you like, if you can afford it etc. If she was in a shop, then that might be the price, but private sale...

Ragingrob
15th March 2008, 07:50
Conclusion :

James has walked away from the bike but used the deposit to buy the guy's jacket and gloves so worked out in the end!

offrd
15th March 2008, 08:09
VIN or lemon check is pricless to do when buying a bike..
I almost bought a tenere with 65k on the clock, it needed work but the price was not too bad. I thought i would get a lemon check done to see if any money was owing..... found the bike had done 165,000km..... Had no money owing.. I pulled out from the purchace and some other guy payed way too much for it :woohoo:

Stromble
15th March 2008, 19:39
Yeh, as they all said.. dont touch it...