PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki FXR Headlight bulb replacement

Emb
14th March 2008, 13:06
Hey guys

been riding for a few months now on an FXR, my left headlight bulb has carkd it and have bought a new one from colemans. ive just been unscrewing a lot of screws in an attempt to take off the front fairing. but i havent had much luck.

any tips?

ps, dnt have the cash to get it done properly so id rather do it myself :)

cheers

Squiggles
14th March 2008, 13:09
Bring the bulb, come to the friday night chiller at strata, and ill fit it for you

Or just txt me on 0212685528

Its simple, comes in from the back, you just reach in, pull back the rubber boot, unclip the metal piece holding the old one in and pull the bulb out, then do the reverse to refit it.

Or just txt me/come by strata

phoenixgtr
14th March 2008, 13:14
What Squiggles said.

You don't need to take the fairing off. It's alot easier than that

Emb
14th March 2008, 15:56
oh really? oh ok ill see if i can give it ago.

if not ill swing by strata

FROSTY
14th March 2008, 16:11
Its pretty easy--take one bloody big sledge hammer -smash in the front of the lenses.
Reach in and pull the old bulb out.

Or as a radical alternative --reach up behind the fairing and remove the rubber boot. Pull the bulb connector off --undoo the mounting clip and drop the bulb out
I must say my way is shit loads more fun

Squiggles
15th March 2008, 09:47
Its pretty easy--take one bloody big sledge hammer -smash in the front of the lenses.
Reach in and pull the old bulb out.

Or as a radical alternative --reach up behind the fairing and remove the rubber boot. Pull the bulb connector off --undoo the mounting clip and drop the bulb out
I must say my way is shit loads more fun

what? you mean im not supposed to remove the tank! :blink:

FROSTY
15th March 2008, 11:21
what? you mean im not supposed to remove the tank! :blink:
Remove seat,remove tank,remove exhaust ,remove engine,remove fairing blade.--now reach up and replace bulb

EJK
15th March 2008, 12:42
Yep, thats why Colemans will charge you 2 hours of labour work just to change the bulb lol

motorbyclist
15th March 2008, 14:01
kinda like that ad where the mechanic is telling his customer how he reomved the sump, crank, conrods, pistons and gudgeon pins and reached up through the cyinder to get to the sparkplugs. they were dirty.:rofl:

Ixion
15th March 2008, 14:04
Remove seat,remove tank,remove exhaust ,remove engine,remove fairing blade.--now reach up and replace bulb

Bulb replacement without removing swing arm and rear wheel (and replacing swing arm bushes) is possible, but deprecated. Do it properly.

Emb
15th March 2008, 14:55
haha sweet as the new bulbs in thanx to... is it Steven? or Stephan?

now to get onto that sprocket with sum kero!

motorbyclist
15th March 2008, 15:17
haha sweet as the new bulbs in thanx to... is it Steven? or Stephan?

now to get onto that sprocket with sum kero!

yeah, don't slack off with chain maintenance or you'll regret it (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=67964)

Phurrball
15th March 2008, 15:56
kinda like that ad where the mechanic is telling his customer how he reomved the sump, crank, conrods, pistons and gudgeon pins and reached up through the cyinder to get to the sparkplugs. they were dirty.:rofl:

Hey -the customer in that ad is J, my boss at Placemakers. Just don't confuse him for the Mitre10 mega man - that really farks him off...

I sympathise wih the FXR bulb changers having done it once - it's an unfeasibly difficult task when it just needn't be! Grrrrr!

ital916
15th March 2008, 21:20
you get it fixed? Pffft you haven't seen bulb replacement until you've seen the effort of repairing a blown bulb in a rg.

Emb
16th March 2008, 12:56
lol just lookn at the bulb change made me weary bout ever doing it again

Squiggles
17th March 2008, 16:18
We should run some tests on that fuel gauge setup to see if its the sender...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Frames-bodywork/auction-145487802.htm

Emb
17th March 2008, 19:45
oh yeah, what ever you did to the fuel gauge made it work! :D lol it seems fine so far but i still prefer the trip meter

Squiggles
17th March 2008, 22:55
oh yeah, what ever you did to the fuel gauge made it work! :D lol it seems fine so far but i still prefer the trip meter

Mint, plug musta just been dirty :sunny: