PDA

View Full Version : OAP who “forgot to wear glasses” cleared of causing death of biker

Bob
15th March 2008, 01:36
A “stubborn” pensioner who forgot to wear her driving glasses has been cleared by jurors of causing the death of a young motorbike rider by dangerous driving.

Eileen Baker, 75, was fined £500 and banned for three years at Stafford crown court for careless driving.

The court heard how Baker pulled out into the path of Paul MacKintosh’s motorbike in Cannock. Mr Cannock suffered fatal injuries. At the time of the accident, Baker was not wearing her driving glasses, despite her optician “Strongly recommending” that she did so.

Baker told the jury she “never thought” to put them on when she left her friend’s house to go home and watch Emmerdale.

Summing up, Judge Paul Glenn told her: “You are a stubborn lady. You still don’t think you have done anything wrong. I am satisfied your defective eyesight contributed to this tragic accident and in part explains why you didn’t see the approaching motorcyclist.” The judge also ordered that Baker take an extended driving test before getting another licence. “I don’t expect you to drive again,” he added.

xwhatsit
15th March 2008, 02:28
Paul MacKintosh’s motorbike in Cannock. Mr Cannock suffered fatal injuries.

That's an interesting piece of copy right there. What's his name, where did he live?

Bob
15th March 2008, 05:05
That's an interesting piece of copy right there. What's his name, where did he live?

Oops. Sorry, got my fingers muddled up.

Obviously, Mr MacKintosh was involved in the accident in Cannock.

My normal standards of accuracy went west there. Mea Culpa. :weep: