PDA

View Full Version : Noisey starter

Solly
17th August 2003, 10:08
I have a 1986 Yahama XV Virago 750...........the starter motor seems to be quite noisey if it doesn't engage and start............I am told this is normal, I don't have anything to compare it to and have my doubts.

I would appreiciate feedback from anyone who can put me right.

Cheers

Big Dog
17th August 2003, 20:16
Is it worse when it has already been run that day?

If so probably a faulty solenoid putting extra load on the bushes in the starter motor. The heat from the engine causes the magnets and the outer casing to swell at different rates preventing it from engaging the motor (sounds like the starter motor is overwinding). If may partially engage, this will cause the drive cogs to grate (sounds like bearings shaken in a can).
Fix it asap in either case before you need to replace your drive teeth while it is still only a solenoid. I am told the usual cause for this problem is a bad earth lead in the starter as this will reult in a week current.

This happened on my old yamaha 84 xs250 (different chassis similar peripherals, I put up with it because I was trading in soon. Apparently this meant the person who bought it after me had to fork for a whole new tranny to fix it as well as the solenoid and earth cable because I had it like that for three months (15000 kms riding twice daily).

In this case the earthing cable in question was oxidised at one or both ends increasing the resistance, but there was no visible damage to the starter.

Ps. If the poor sod who bought it after me is reading oops!:Oops:

It is very simple to get these parts checked but don't trust a autoelectrician unless a bike shop you trust reccomended them.

Ciao, Big Dog.

What?
18th August 2003, 06:37
Fix it quick. If the starter shits itself, you will be looking at over $700 to replace it, and second hand ones make rocking horse crap look common...:eek:

Big Dog
18th August 2003, 13:01
Originally posted by Solly
............I am told this is normal, I don't have anything to compare it to and have my doubts.
Cheers
I would be questioning who told you and why. If it was a dealer who sold it to you less than six months ago or with the problem you willl have some recourse through the lmvdi.

I was a car salesman for a while and that is a big no no, unfair trading etc.

Ciao, Big Dog.