PDA

View Full Version : Licenses from UK to NZ

Bikernereid
15th March 2008, 22:18
I was wondering if you have to apply for a Kiwi bike and car license if you emigrate to NZ from the UK or if it is ok to permanently drive on your existing UK one. I know that for HGV drivers coming the other way you have to start from scratch.

To work for Corrections you need a driving license so need to see about sorting this out asap. Know how slow red tape processes can be.

MaxB
15th March 2008, 22:36
AFAIK you can drive for up to a year on a UK full licence then you have to take the scratch and win (multiple choice) and basic eyesight test. If you have a bike licence you have to answer 5 or 10 additional questions realated to bikes. Then they "convert" your licence to a Kiwi version valid for up to 10 years.

I passed my bike test in the UK whilst on my OE and had to suffer this on my return.

A passing pom has just told me that it is better to convert ASAP to get your insurance excess down. (Example $2000 down to $300). Also bring some proof of your no claims bonus because insurers here can be ignorant of your overseas driving record.

fredie
15th March 2008, 23:39
im comming over soon with my aussie licence:rockon:

Bikernereid
16th March 2008, 01:58
I am considering doing my Direct Access for a bike in the UK but was wondering if it makes more sense to do it when I get to NZ. It seems a bit daft to make more work for myself. I will have to pay £40 for theory test and then £475 (cheapest I could find) for test.

Thanks for the info re no claims bonus as I have years worth over here. Will make sure that I bring it with me.

owner
16th March 2008, 02:19
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/, you sexy thang

m99dws
16th March 2008, 07:09
I am considering doing my Direct Access for a bike in the UK but was wondering if it makes more sense to do it when I get to NZ. It seems a bit daft to make more work for myself. I will have to pay £40 for theory test and then £475 (cheapest I could find) for test.

Thanks for the info re no claims bonus as I have years worth over here. Will make sure that I bring it with me.

You can only take the scratch test and convert a UK licence category that you've had for more than 2 years. I did the car and bike test at the same time for $120.

Bikernereid
17th March 2008, 04:49
For letting me know you have saved me loads of money. Just sucks that I will not be able to ride around Europe this summer and that OWNER will have to do all the riding.

You can only take the scratch test and convert a UK licence category that you've had for more than 2 years. I did the car and bike test at the same time for $120.

GB biker
21st March 2008, 08:35
I am planning a biking holiday in NZ in dec 2008 for appox 4 weeks.
If i ship my own bike to NZ how do i get insurance to ride on your roads?

Bikernereid
21st March 2008, 08:54
You should do a swap with my bloke as his bike is gonna be in NZ whilst he is in the UK (Save on shipping):banana:

YellowDog
21st March 2008, 09:09
Yup, it is a very easy test and you are allowed to get 3 wrong.

I did both bike and car at the same time. Practiced on a website to get 100% and the whole thing took 20 minutes. You have to take the same test twice though, and then you get supplimentary questions for bike and car.

If you have had either licence for less than 2 years, you can't convert it with a simple multiple choice.

I have heard about someone who did a UK direct access bike licence 12 months previously and blagged it through to a conversion. They only looked at the date he passed his car test and overlooked the fact that his bike licence was only 12 months old.

No point chancing it or wasting UK money when it will be far cheaper and less stringent (so I hear) in NZ.

YellowDog
21st March 2008, 09:11
Your UK insurer will probably cover you. If not, the AA here do short term insurance. http://www.aa.co.nz

surfer
21st March 2008, 09:18
I let my one year lapse so ended up having to do both car and bike tests in NZ. On reflection both car and bike tests in NZ are easier to pass than the test in the UK.

Bikernereid
21st March 2008, 09:26
I have had UK car license since 91 so that should be ok. As for the bike, I looked at the NZ site and it aint so what with me being over 25 and all that. I know that if I do the advanced driving course it will knock my last 6 months restricted to 3 so not so bad after all.

Thanks for all ur advice chaps!!

YellowDog
21st March 2008, 09:28
WOW - There's a lot of Poms on KB.

Do remeber, you can ride/drive on your UK licence for one year and the 2 year rule (for conversion) is from the date you apply for the NZ one. If you did Direct Access in the UK now, it wouldn't be difficult to get the 2 years to convert (the UK courses are excellent). If you leave NZ to go on holiday, your one year of UK riding/driving starts from when you re-enter the country (I did ask and received clarification of this from the AA testing centre). You could keep coming and going for years and not have to do an NZ test.

Just a factor to consider, though you would get a small levee on your insurance, plus the Police wouldn't be happy about not being able to put penalty points on your UK licence:blank:

Matt
21st March 2008, 20:28

I have heard about someone who did a UK direct access bike licence 12 months previously and blagged it through to a conversion. They only looked at the date he passed his car test and overlooked the fact that his bike licence was only 12 months old...

I know someone who did it 2 months before :) - I don't think they ever check how long you had your bike licence...

sapper4956
23rd March 2008, 15:33
I just did my conversion as i couldn't register my new bike without a kiwi license. Well i could have used my UK one but I've been here a little (well a lot) longer than the 12 months stipulated.

I did find out though and this came as sharp news to me that had i had an accident all my insurance was void, because it had been more than 18 months since entry to NZ.

Just something to keep in mind if you are like me a little lax with paperwork. Took 20mins to do both car,HGV and bike and it was easy. Got 1 wrong and it was one of those Kiwi give way to the right rule ones. It pays to have a look at those question sites before. Especially if your doing your truck conversion.

m99dws
25th March 2008, 21:28
- I don't think they ever check how long you had your bike licence...

VTNZ did, they wrote the original pass dates on the application form before I did the test.

brockzila
28th March 2008, 04:07
Im sitting my thery on monday after already passing my cbt a few months ago. and am looking to do the DA as soon as i get a new job. the place i am looking at charges 125 for a day of instruction and then the test is £58(i think it may have gone up). but the instructors will take in to account your ability and recomend the amount of days you need.
Taking the test over here will be more £££ but it means you will be able to ride europe and some of the famous tracks over here that kiwis only get to see on gp and sb races.

Also
buy you bike here. buy it a year befor you go.
why??
FAlco sl1000 aprilia approx £3000 for a mint one
NZ is about 10,000 nzd

if you get it a year befor you do it is classed as persoal property. and you will not have to pay GST (like VAT but at 12.5%)

Cost to ship a precrated bike is about 640 squid. get free crates from dealers. un crated will cost you a extra 160 approx

convert and shipping with no tax is heaps cheaper than buying in Nuw Zulland

also look at buying your gear here. i can remember stuff back home not being cheap. check out trademe.co.nz for an idea on price.the hine gerick sale and bike shows will save you a heap. you may also be able to claim the vat back on some items you are taking with you if you are not returning and buy them 3 months i think before you leave.

im taking my trx home and maybe a falco if i can come up with a chunk of cash after my europe tour.
Starting in pamploma for the running of the bulls in early july and finishing at octoberfest in october. and hoping to make gp, superbike, a1 to support team kiwi or f1 if there are any around at the time. other than that its party and fast corners as my skill improves.

Nick from the nick
2nd April 2008, 12:00
WOW - There's a lot of Poms on KB.

Just a factor to consider, though you would get a small levee on your insurance, plus the Police wouldn't be happy about not being able to put penalty points on your UK licence:blank:

Insure with ebike insurance in the uk they are here too and will bring your insurance over, as for the police they will chase you back to the uk for penalties my mate came on holiday got a speeding ticket and never paid up, they chased him to the uk for it, so be warned

Sanx
9th April 2008, 16:58
You can drive for twelve months on a UK licence since your last date of entry into the country. Go to Aussie for a weekend every year, and you'll never need (legally) get an NZ licence.
Having said all that, as others have said, the conversion process for any licence class you've held longer than two years in simple. Takes half an hour and that's it.
If you wish to avoid paying out for a British DA test, and want to avoid the learner / restricted periods here, you can cheat by going on a dirty weekend away in Rarotonga (they'll be some dodgy Honda-riding bloke who'll probably accompany you, if you play your cards right), getting your motorcycle licence over there and then converting it when you get back to NZ. You will need to do a practical test, but you go straight to a full licence without the intervening hassles.
I didn't get stung by increased insurance on my British licence. In fact, just 'cos I'd held my licence over five years, ASB gave me 50% no claims to begin with. Won't hurt to bring proof of your no claims with you though.
The cops can happily give you points even if you don't have an NZ licence. When the first ticket is issued, a temporary licence number gets assigned to you and the points applied to that. Should you then apply for an NZ licence, you'll get the same licence number and a nice points bonus along with it.

Bikernereid
9th April 2008, 21:06
Should be ok with UK car license, have two of them anyway. Will defo bring insurance details as I have about 8 years no claims.

Have decided that I don't mind being on a restricted license for longer in NZ as it can only be a good thing to get more experience before trading up. And they have that stupid traffic light thing which is going to be strange to get used to. Better ssafe than sorry in my book.

You can drive for twelve months on a UK licence since your last date of entry into the country. Go to Aussie for a weekend every year, and you'll never need (legally) get an NZ licence.
Having said all that, as others have said, the conversion process for any licence class you've held longer than two years in simple. Takes half an hour and that's it.
If you wish to avoid paying out for a British DA test, and want to avoid the learner / restricted periods here, you can cheat by going on a dirty weekend away in Rarotonga (they'll be some dodgy Honda-riding bloke who'll probably accompany you, if you play your cards right), getting your motorcycle licence over there and then converting it when you get back to NZ. You will need to do a practical test, but you go straight to a full licence without the intervening hassles.
I didn't get stung by increased insurance on my British licence. In fact, just 'cos I'd held my licence over five years, ASB gave me 50% no claims to begin with. Won't hurt to bring proof of your no claims with you though.
The cops can happily give you points even if you don't have an NZ licence. When the first ticket is issued, a temporary licence number gets assigned to you and the points applied to that. Should you then apply for an NZ licence, you'll get the same licence number and a nice points bonus along with it.