PDA

View Full Version : T V SCREENS

tassle
4th December 2004, 20:03
am thinking bout a tv screen for the max are they any good, and how big is enough as not wanting 42inch plasma,just somthing for a little bit of protection, do they rattle and getz themselves all loose and jittery.

Eyetie
5th December 2004, 14:18
Check out www.graysonline.co.nz they often have some cheap plasma and rear projection screens, the other one is auctioncity.co.nz you can get a good deal there as well.
I got a 43 wide screen from grays and it sure makes for good viewing.
Hope the info helps.

tassle
8th December 2004, 20:10
i know a plasma screen would look trick on the bike, but where would you put a rear projection screen, i know max is a whale, but i was more thinking along the lines of a givi screen, or similar

Hitcher
9th December 2004, 08:07
On another but related matter, does anybody in Wellington either fix or know anybody who can fix TVs? We've got a Sony 21" that don't want to go no more...

marty
9th December 2004, 08:16
i think there's a place in churton park. you stand on the edge of it and throw it really hard - that'll fix it.

Paul in NZ
9th December 2004, 08:32
'Next' are the big players but there are a bunch of people in the suburbs that do it.

Frankly, unless it is near new it's just not worth it. The inspection fee is not far away from the cost of a new TV.....

Sad but true.....

Paul N

Hitcher
9th December 2004, 09:28
Sigh. But we've spent so many happy hours together...

Paul in NZ
9th December 2004, 10:03
Don't worry...

You will be able to get a wide screen super dooper sexy one now....

"never mind the quality sir, feel the width"

The past is fixed.. You cannot change that... But the future... Ah the fun you will have.....

Paul N

jrandom
12th December 2004, 20:23
The Sony flat screen WEGA Trinitrons are still the best CRT TVs. And they're cheap now, too. A Sony 34" should be quite inexpensive; the 29" I bought four years ago for $2K is now going for about $500, I think.

A plasma screen is, of course, visi-licious, but then there's the fact that for the same money, you could have bought, say, a ZX-10R.

And don't buy a rear projection TV, the picture is really quite inferior.

But then, I didn't need to tell you any of this, because if you decide to buy a new TV, you'll be going and eyeballing them all, and not letting any annoying salespeople talk you into anything. Won't you.

Hitcher
13th December 2004, 07:44
I've got a bid in on an "imperfectly packaged" Black Diamond 21" on Auctioncity. If all goes well I should land a brand new tellie for about $180.

jrandom
13th December 2004, 08:02
If all goes well I should land a brand new tellie for about $180.

Tut!

You're not buying *this* on a Government budget, you know, Mr Hitcher.

What price glorious colour saturation? What price wide-angle visibility? What price not having to drag the thing to within six inches if want to make out DVDs in widescreen mode?

Consider your penuriousness duly tutted at.

vifferman
13th December 2004, 08:18
And don't buy a rear projection TV, the picture is really quite inferior.My in-laws' 21" MGA (whatever the hell that is) although only a few years old had colour so bad that it was unadjustable, and a very grainy picture, so being quite impressed with our 29" Loewe, they decided to go and buy a new TV, something that would better suit their large lounge. So they bought a 40-summat inch rear-projection set. Groovy.
Our first impression when sighting it for the first time was WTF?!?! It's so BIG! And silver. It announces itself to the world when the world walks into the lounge: HERE I AM!!
And the picture? Hmmm.... on some channels, it's good. But their aerial is smaller than it should be, because my father-in-law wanted it in the ceiling, so it wouldn't corrode, get bent, etc. The reception is shite, with a capital SHITE. D'ya know that bad reception on a bazillion-inch TV looks even more worserer? Obviously. Some channels are OK, if you sit in the next room, and narrow your eyes to tiny little slits so's you can just see the TV...:crazy:
They would've been better off getting Sky or a new aerial and a smaller TV. :confused2

Oh yeah - they then said, "It was really good when we were watching movies at your place and the sound was coming from all over the room. How much would it cost to do that?"
"Oh... about $4000."
"Oh." :o

Hitcher
13th December 2004, 08:19
What price glorious colour saturation? What price wide-angle visibility? What price not having to drag the thing to within six inches if want to make out DVDs in widescreen mode?
I've got a pair of those glasses with one green lens and one red lens that should help the colour saturation. DVD? I think I've heard of that new-fangled thingee somewhere. My steely narrow stare obviates the need for widescreen.

jrandom
13th December 2004, 08:35
40-summat inch rear-projection set... capital SHITE... better off getting Sky

Indeed. For the Moneyed Elite, Sky Digital is the way to go. I'd have it if I cared about watching TV. Perfect reception (when there aren't any bit errors, of course) and no aerial-twiddling.

But I only have my TV because I like movies. And I have my DVD player because I like watching them in reasonable unfuzzed quality, without a third of the picture chopped off in a TV-format pan-and-scan.

A 29" TV is still a bit small for anything in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio; I'd have preferred a 34" but a CRT flatscreen of that size was $4000 when I bought my TV, so I had to give it a miss. The 29" does the job fine if you pull it a bit closer to the couch.

And the only flavours of display I'd have for film-watching are flat CRTs or plasmas. Everything else is sub-par in terms of picture quality.

inlinefour
15th December 2004, 02:28
am thinking bout a tv screen for the max are they any good, and how big is enough as not wanting 42inch plasma,just somthing for a little bit of protection, do they rattle and getz themselves all loose and jittery.

Now I know why I dislike this type of bike. You'll look farkin funny after riding into the back of a truck because you are watching telly. Bike rider? Telly, oh where are ya slippers? :baby:

ajturbo
15th December 2004, 03:02
On another but related matter, does anybody in Wellington either fix or know anybody who can fix TVs? We've got a Sony 21" that don't want to go no more...

chuck it out a high window.. :baby:
would be cheeper / quicker to get a new one????

Hitcher
15th December 2004, 08:49
chuck it out a high window.. :baby:
would be cheeper / quicker to get a new one????
Indeed. Thanks to www.auctioncity.co.nz I now have a replacement for the grand sum of $179.

MikeL
15th December 2004, 09:23
And the only flavours of display I'd have for film-watching are flat CRTs or plasmas. Everything else is sub-par in terms of picture quality.

You obviously haven't seen a good projection system. Admittedly it requires a reasonable degree of blackout in the room, but if properly set up it will blow away any other type of display.

I think you were a bit harsh in dismissing all rear-projection systems as well. There are some very good ones but they too need to be set up carefully. My main objection to them is that they totally dominate a room. Obviously a plasma TV is superior but you still have a screen size limitation compared to a projection system, not to mention horrendous expense.

Value for money I think has to be a video projector if you have the appropriate room. The technology and reliability have advanced considerably in recent years.

jrandom
15th December 2004, 09:27
You obviously haven't seen a good projection system. Admittedly it requires a reasonable degree of blackout in the room, but if properly set up it will blow away any other type of display.

That's true. Were I a millionaire, I'd have a basement with a 35mm projector, and I'd buy my movies on film, not DVD.

I think you were a bit harsh in dismissing all rear-projection systems as well. There are some very good ones but they too need to be set up carefully.

I'm happy to take your word for it. I've just never seen such a beastie.

MikeL
15th December 2004, 14:15
I'm happy to take your word for it. I've just never seen such a beastie.

Possibly because very few retail salespeople are sufficiently competent or interested to set them up properly.

Paul in NZ
15th December 2004, 14:30
The only problem with projectors are the running costs... The bulbs cost a bloody fortune and you must be awful careful buying used ones. A good plasma is a better deal in the long term.

Without a shameless plug either way...

If any KB'rs want top quality projectors, plasma, lcd or whatever. Drop me a line.

Paul N

Biff
6th January 2005, 12:46
Stay away from plasma TV's for at least another 5 years, until such a time as they sort the resolution out. Your best bet is any High Definition TV (HDTV) running at at least 100Hz. Failing that any 100HZ CRT (normal) TV or high end back projection will do the job. Don't buy a cheap back projection as the luminence on them is quite poor so you'll need a dark room to run one.

How do I know - cos I was Europe's chief TV design engineer for 8 years with Sony. Now where' s my trumpet I need to blow?

(no I won't fix any so don't ask)