PDA

View Full Version : scary business!

Mikkel
17th March 2008, 17:36
... this going faster than 70 km/h. You guys must be mad :crazy:

Anyway, cruised down to Ashburton this afternoon to admire a couple of Honda RC45s and do my 6R practical test.

It's a boring ride down there and I left with time to spare. Good thing I had time to spare as well - a truck accident on Rakaia bridge caused a >5 km queue on either side of the bridge and things were only moving along slowly. Link here (http://www.stuff.co.nz/thepress/4443013a6009.html).

Good thing I wasn't in a car or I wouldn't have made my test... Sorry guys for jumping the queue!
Still, to keep the bike from going too hot I turned it off and on a couple of times. All of the sudden I had drained the battery - stuck in a queue going onto Rakaia bridge.
Luckily the zxr250 is very easy to jumpstart and I was on my merry way.

Test went smooth enough and the ride back to Chch was even more boring than the trip down - seeing as I didn't have to worry about cops catching sight of the mellow-yellow plate...

...only 3 months and a defensive driving course to go then.

mark247
17th March 2008, 17:49
Saw something about that on the news. They reckon the queue was up to 17km long.

fireliv
17th March 2008, 17:52
Well done! :banana:

Question, why did you sit it all the way out there??? SO only 3 months to wait? WICKED! I have to wait another 9 months.... :crybaby:

Mikkel
17th March 2008, 17:59
Saw something about that on the news. They reckon the queue was up to 17km long.

Wouldn't surprise me. It was about 10 km from one end to the other (counting both the north- and the southbound queues) when I was there.: Google map (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=295383502950873323,-43.717226,172.068454&saddr=Main+South+Rd+%40-43.717226,+172.068454&daddr=-43.782373,171.978779&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=14&sll=-43.775804,171.989422&sspn=0.044498,0.080338&ie=UTF8&ll=-43.763408,172.023926&spn=0.178027,0.32135&z=12).

Well done! :banana:

Question, why did you sit it all the way out there??? SO only 3 months to wait? WICKED! I have to wait another 9 months.... :crybaby:

Cheers! :D

Yeah, a bit weird innit... I went to Ashvegas because I couldn't get an appointment in Chch until the 2nd of April... :yes:

Your 9 months will be over before you know it :yes: Have you done, or will you do, the defensive driving course?

onearmedbandit
17th March 2008, 18:04
Congrats Mike. I thought if you took a defensive driving course it shortened the restircted period to 9mths from 18. Has this changed now?

Mikkel
17th March 2008, 18:16
Congrats Mike. I thought if you took a defensive driving course it shortened the restircted period to 9mths from 18. Has this changed now?

That is the case if you're under 25.

They realise that if old men like me are to have any chance at getting the full, before we wither away from old age, they have to shorten the period to 6 months - which can then be reduced to 3 via a course.

onearmedbandit
17th March 2008, 18:32
There you go, I thought you were younger than 25.

Mikkel
17th March 2008, 18:36
There you go, I thought you were younger than 25.

Sometimes I wish I still were - fewer defective bits back then... But yeah, the L-plate does make you look young :yes:

onearmedbandit
17th March 2008, 18:38
Time has treated you harshly then mate? Well we'll get the ZX7RR out to the track soon, that'll get the feeling of youth back again.

Mikkel
17th March 2008, 18:43
Time has treated you harshly then mate? Well we'll get the ZX7RR out to the track soon, that'll get the feeling of youth back again.

Well, I'd say the last two years have been the toughest - not that that says so much really.

But yes, the zx7rr I expect to be scary business indeed. Can't wait. :)

BiK3RChiK
17th March 2008, 18:49
Hmmm.... I thought that the restricted could only be reduced for over 25's from 12 months down to 6 months with a course... Off to look up the road code again...

M

BiK3RChiK
17th March 2008, 18:51
Ahhh.... You are correct! You can reduce it down to three months by doing the approved course.:cool:

M

martybabe
17th March 2008, 18:52
... this going faster than 70 km/h. You guys must be mad :crazy:

Anyway, cruised down to Ashburton this afternoon to admire a couple of Honda RC45s and do my 6R practical test.

It's a boring ride down there and I left with time to spare. Good thing I had time to spare as well - a truck accident on Rakaia bridge caused a >5 km queue on either side of the bridge and things were only moving along slowly. Link here (http://www.stuff.co.nz/thepress/4443013a6009.html).

Good thing I wasn't in a car or I wouldn't have made my test... Sorry guys for jumping the queue!
Still, to keep the bike from going too hot I turned it off and on a couple of times. All of the sudden I had drained the battery - stuck in a queue going onto Rakaia bridge.
Luckily the zxr250 is very easy to jumpstart and I was on my merry way.

Test went smooth enough and the ride back to Chch was even more boring than the trip down - seeing as I didn't have to worry about cops catching sight of the mellow-yellow plate...

...only 3 months and a defensive driving course to go then.

Hey well done super mikkel, not that I have a clue what an R6 test is but good onya dude. :clap:

onearmedbandit
17th March 2008, 18:53
R = Restricted.
6 = Class of License (Motorcycle in this case).

martybabe
17th March 2008, 19:04
R = Restricted.
6 = Class of License (Motorcycle in this case).

Bugger me it's complicated init? I'm pleased the young pups can still be bothered to go through all that, the've gotta be pretty determined to get on a bike these days, good for them.

Keep the sport alive young peeps, stick at it. :yes:

TimeOut
17th March 2008, 19:11
Ahhh.... You are correct! You can reduce it down to three months by doing the approved course.:cool:

M

Does the course for cars count (my son has done that) or is it a specific one for motor bikes.

Mikkel
17th March 2008, 19:33
Hey well done super mikkel, not that I have a clue what an R6 test is but good onya dude. :clap:

Bugger me it's complicated init? I'm pleased the young pups can still be bothered to go through all that, the've gotta be pretty determined to get on a bike these days, good for them.

Keep the sport alive young peeps, stick at it. :yes:

Yeah. It gets really confusing because you can't do your 6R test on a R6... :nono:

Does the course for cars count (my son has done that) or is it a specific one for motor bikes.

It's a car course at the moment I'm afraid. Mainland Driving School in Christchurch used to do a defensive driving course for motorcycles - but it wasn't recognised by Landtransport and so it was taken off the menu :(

Bloody stupid really!

fireliv
17th March 2008, 19:38
Your 9 months will be over before you know it :yes: Have you done, or will you do, the defensive driving course?

I wont bother doing one. I turn 25 in december and have had my Restricted since October last so will have waited plenty of time to sit. Have done a defensive driving course before though, pity it was like 7 years ago

TOTO
18th March 2008, 06:22
Many Congrats Mate. :niceone: