PDA

View Full Version : Part prices?

Pumba
17th March 2008, 20:22
Hey guys, what you all consider reasonble to price range would you pay for some straight forks (say RG), and the same question for a set of 17 inch rims (say 2.5 & 3.5)?

Buddha#81
17th March 2008, 22:05
Hey guys, what you all consider reasonble to price range would you pay for some straight forks (say RG), and the same question for a set of 17 inch rims (say 2.5 & 3.5)?

How longs a piece of string?........I got a couple of rims off Gav for my Post Classic bike and paid $100 including disc carrier, brake disc, and rear brakes, bargan the extra stuff can cost a fortune so try to get complete sets, even a complete front end can be a cheap option.

Here's a link to the 17" and slick conversion from 19" & 18"'s. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=69380

Buddha#81
17th March 2008, 22:13
these could be ok for the right price.......pity your in the wrong Island http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Wheels-tyres-brakes/auction-145341514.htm

gav
18th March 2008, 06:21
When you say RG forks, what are you after 150, 250, 400, 500?
Did you need triple clamps and steering stem?
Usually a set of rims for around $150 is OK, in my books, but depends how bad you want them! :lol:
What are they for? 3.5" is probably a little wide for a bucket.

Pumba
18th March 2008, 07:02
How longs a piece of string?........

Bout what I thought, I am enjoying this bucket racing, and even more so I am enjoying the playing with the bikes when I am not racing so I was just trying to get a feel on prices I should consider reasonable for second hand parts as sometimes there seems to be a huge difference.

these could be ok for the right price.......pity your in the wrong Island http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Wheels-tyres-brakes/auction-145341514.htm

Yea saw them last night, was actually one of the things that got me thinking to ask the question.

When you say RG forks, what are you after 150, 250, 400, 500?
Did you need triple clamps and steering stem?

150, with triple clamps.

Citroenjunkie
31st March 2008, 19:42
This all sounds rather serious.

You could get a really good TC125 front end with a 19 inch wheel and forks from my garage for free..... Actually from the rubbish bin at the back of my garage...

My GN 250 front end cost $120 but I guess I got what I paid for??:sick:

See you on Saturday:Punk:

Pumba
31st March 2008, 20:08
Are the old agfe case of you get what you pay for is all to true isint it.

Will turn up at some stage on Saturday but wont be racing this week, some bastard knocked me off the SV a week or two ago and about the last thing I want to do is put any put any extra strain on my already damaged ligiments in my knee by doing anything stupid (Not like I tend to do that every race meeting I have been to so far or anything:whistle:)

speedpro
4th April 2008, 12:14

Unless you have access to a few tools and/or even a lathe I suggest trying for a whole front end. That way you aren't stuck trying to get bits to fit together and making adaptors etc. If you aren't doing it all yourself it could add up pretty quick. The rear end can end up being difficult to get all the bits lined up with brakes that will pass scrutineering.

The trick would be to score a whole bike with a wrecked motor or one that has been neglected for a long time and get both the front and rear ends from that grafted to your bike. I've got an early FZR250 chassis here and I reckon the whole swingarm/rear engine mount/swingarm pivot piece could be cut out and relocated into say a CB125T pretty easily. The front end would have been OK as well. The early FZR chassis could also be updated with later model wheels without too much difficulty. I've got a bunch of FZR bits here though the condition generally isn't too good. PM me if you want to know more.

F5 Dave
4th April 2008, 13:49
GN250 front end would be pretty meaty, but the forks are hella long & springs cruiser soft. I'd take them apart & make a spacer for underneath the damper rod to shorten their travel removing the same from the preload spacer. I'd then try to get stiffer springs,

but holding the thought the much lighter bike might be ok on those springs so try it first.

Citroenjunkie
27th April 2008, 17:30
GN250 front end would be pretty meaty, but the forks are hella long & springs cruiser soft. I'd take them apart & make a spacer for underneath the damper rod to shorten their travel removing the same from the preload spacer. I'd then try to get stiffer springs,

but holding the thought the much lighter bike might be ok on those springs so try it first.

Thanks for that I've honestly not given it that much thought but yes I'm aiming for as light as safely possible and yes the GN forks are very meaty and long!

Realistically though almost anything is going to improve on 1973 30mm TC125 forks with no discernable damping whatsoever!