PDA

View Full Version : Long Road Trip....

tbone
18th March 2008, 12:57
Hey,

Decided to go on a long road trip around New Zealand, legs of the trip are probably going to be:

Tauranga to Napier
Napier to Wellington
Wellington to Nelson
Nelson to Greymouth
Greymouth to Ashburton (and bottom of South Island)
Ashburton to Picton
Picton to Wanganui
Wanganui to Hamilton
Hamilton to Kaitaia (and top of North Island)
Kaitaia to Tauranga

Probably be a 10-12 day trip - should be good!

I haven't been on a bike for that long (bout a month), and the wisest thing todo would be to have a smaller road trip, but then sometimes I'm not that wise (depending on the thing I'm doing really!).

This would be probably starting mid-May and I was just wondering has anyone else done a trip like this and what would be things to look out for and if anyone has any advice or something of the like?

I've never been to the South Island before - does anyone know what the weather is like in May down there?

EJK
18th March 2008, 13:01
I heard weathers are better in south island. Oh I too want to know about the Interislander.

How much are they?
How can I secure the bike on the ship? (tie down?)
Do they have metal surface ramp onto the ship? :blink:

I've sent a mail to Interislander but they havn't replied! (been a week now)

Btw dude, that sounds SO COOL! :) Have fun!

jrandom
18th March 2008, 13:02
Looking at averaging 4-5 hours riding per day on the two fiddy then?

Sensible man; you're not pushing the pace there, so there'll be plenty of time to stop and smell the daisies.

It'll be cold out on the road in May throughout a lot of the country, so make sure you have plenty of insulating layers and a wind / rain proof shell of some sort to wear over your leathers or cordura.

Also make sure that your luggage (backpack, panniers and/or tankbag) is fully waterproof.

And be sure to take a camera to record your trip!

Enjoy.

:niceone:

jrandom
18th March 2008, 13:06
How much are they?

You can book online at www.interislander.co.nz. Prices seem to be $105 each way at the moment for one person and a bike.

The boats have motorcycle parking spots in the hold with hooks for tie-downs, so just bring along the same tie-downs you'd use to secure your bike to a trailer.

Metal surface ramps? Are you worried about slipping and sliding? I wouldn't be; if I recall correctly, the ramps that you ride or drive up into the boat on are coated with some sort of grippy substance that provides good traction in the wet.

Then again, my memory could be failing me.

Coldrider
18th March 2008, 13:07
I heard weathers are better in south island. Oh I too want to know about the Interislander.

How much are they?

I've sent a mail to Interislander but they havn't replied! (been a week now)

Btw dude, that sounds SO COOL! :) Have fun!

Ride on same ramp as cars & trucks, metal chequer deck finish, slippery when wet, use your own tie downs, much better than greasy ropes provided, fare usually $100 each way, MC & rider, discounts can be had.

SVboy
18th March 2008, 13:08
[and the rest of the South Island] might need further investigation. The rest is the best so plan where you want to go now to avoid disappointment later....
Weather could be great, if cooler, but possibility of early winter shite, too.

EJK
18th March 2008, 13:09
I also heard Greymouth rains alot. Humidity ranks top 5 in the country I heard? Maybe the 1st...

hang0ver
18th March 2008, 13:10
I'd say that having only spent a month on a bike it is not a wise decision at all.

Your skill level from a month of riding won't be much consolation on the open road, especially not for a trip around NZ in one go...

Then again people told me I was stupid learning on a 400, but I did it anyway, saved a lot of money and didn't get bored too quickly.

It would probably be testing on a 250 also, but some tour on them (revving hard at 100).

Sorry to cut you down, but if you do it, make it a safe trip.

_-H-_

MyGSXF
18th March 2008, 13:14
Getting a bit chilly by then.. Brass Monkey is the first weekend in June! :cold: so as mentioned have good thermal layers on!!! :niceone:

We have fantastic roads down here.. with far less traffic than up Norf too!! :Pokey:

Definitely take ya camera.. & batteries/charger!!! :yes:

& if ya need somewhere to crash in :sunny: Nelson.. give me a bell! :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

tbone
18th March 2008, 13:29
Thanks for the advice!

I do realise it's a massive ride for a newbie biker, but it's a good way to learn! Most of the trip will be split into probably 4-5 hour rides and make it more manageable. In my head I know it's not the wisest thing todo, but I've found that sometimes you're not supposed to listen to your head and listen to that other part of yourself!

I'm planning on Australia next year and just want to get some experience in a country where I know people first so if I get in a sticky situation, help isn't that far away (compared to being stuck in the Nullarbor!)

Biggest thing I'm worried about is the ferry really!

jrandom
18th March 2008, 13:31
I'd say that having only spent a month on a bike it is not a wise decision at all.

Don't listen to hang0ver. He's just being a poopyhead.

MyGSXF
18th March 2008, 18:31
Biggest thing I'm worried about is the ferry really!

There are lots of good tie down points on the floor & take your own tie downs with you.. secure the bike well & it won't be a problem!!! :Punk: The ride on & off the ferry is not an issue.. tis easy as & all good! I did it a few days ago.. (on a GN250.. with a pillion.. :lol:.. funny as hell after riding a bloody great BMW R1100R for the previous 8 days!! ;)) you'll be fine! :niceone:

hang0ver
18th March 2008, 20:16
Don't listen to hang0ver. He's just being a poopyhead.

Don't listen to Jrandom, he is just being random.

Make it a good one.

_-H-_

tbone
19th March 2008, 10:49
Thanks heaps for the advice - really appreciate it!

I'm still working out the ride details, but will probably post it on here once I've got it sorted out. What the current overnight stops are probably going to be is Napier, Wellington, Nelson, Greymouth, Queenstown, Blenheim (or Nelson), Wanganui, Hamilton and Kaitaia.

MyGSXF - might take you up on that offer, as I'll probably be staying there on the way down and on the way back up!

Getting pretty excited about the ride though!

Subike
19th March 2008, 11:17

Your skill level from a month of riding won't be much consolation on the open road, especially not for a trip around NZ in one go...

Then again people told me I was stupid learning on a 400, but I did it anyway, saved a lot of money and didn't get bored too quickly.

It would probably be testing on a 250 also, but some tour on them (revving hard at 100).

Sorry to cut you down, but if you do it, make it a safe trip.

_-H-_

Put it in perspective mate.
Modern bikes will do a small ride like that at a breeze. 50cc or 2000cc the bikes of today are better built and the roads you will travel are of far better condition than those of the 50's
Think of doing that same trip on an old AJS, Matchless Triumph or Norton. It was done often by bikers 60 years ago so your 250 Virago will eat up the miles no trouble at all.
As for the comment of reving the motor at 100ks for hours on end, God they are designed to do it!
I think your head is in the right place mate. You have a licence, a bike, and the urge to have a great adventure...go for it...you will always remember it.
As for experiance? Well what a good way of getting lots of it, having fun doing what you want to do.
Keep in touch with us on here whilst you do it, a daily report with pics would be awsome to read.
My support mate......ride carefully and enjoy :clap:

EJK
19th March 2008, 11:27
There are lots of good tie down points on the floor & take your own tie downs with you.. secure the bike well & it won't be a problem!!! :Punk: The ride on & off the ferry is not an issue.. tis easy as & all good! I did it a few days ago.. (on a GN250.. with a pillion.. :lol:.. funny as hell after riding a bloody great BMW R1100R for the previous 8 days!! ;)) you'll be fine! :niceone:

How many tie downs for a bike?

MyGSXF
19th March 2008, 11:47
MyGSXF - might take you up on that offer, as I'll probably be staying there on the way down and on the way back up!

Sweet as! :Punk: pm sent

How many tie downs for a bike?

from memory :whistle: I think it was 2. One round each side of the handlebar & cranked down well. Take 2 more.. just in case :yes: You'll get a feel for it when you are on the ferry & doin it, as to how stable it will be.. the ferry guys loading the cars etc on are there & will be able to help you if you need a hand also! :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

ManDownUnder
19th March 2008, 12:05
The bike will handle it fine - and you'll learn lots along the way.

A couple of things to get/learn for you
1) Newspaper is cheap and WARM! If you find you're getting cold, stop, buy a paper, open it out and wrap it around your body UNDER your leather jacket. If it gets wet, rip and replace with another one.

Warning - newsprint rubs off and is a bastard to get out of clothes so put an old t-shirt on. The cheap as chipss windbreakers do a good job too as a layer to keeep your warm (single layer windbreaker, the ones that fold right down into a bumbag are great!)
2) Take a cell phone with you and have the number of a couple of KBers in it. If you need help... use it! (text is best because it'll transmit if ity gets the chance in areas of poor recepption)
3) Put and ICE (In Case of Emergency) number in or on the phone

There's more no doubt but... hey - enjoy!

Dino
19th March 2008, 12:26
Sounds like you are going to have a great time.
Looks like you have allowed plenty of time so if there is some really shitty weather it may be better to have a day off riding and watch the rain out the window.
Have fun.

shafty
19th March 2008, 12:29
Looks like a good trip TBone. I'm in Tauranga and have some Tie downs and stuff if you'd like to borrow them, PM me if you do

P38
19th March 2008, 16:46
Hey,

Decided to go on a long road trip around New Zealand, legs of the trip are probably going to be:

Tauranga to Napier
Napier to Wellington
Wellington to Nelson
Nelson to Greymouth
Ashburton to Picton
Picton to Wanganui
Wanganui to Hamilton
Kaitaia to Tauranga

Probably be a 10-12 day trip - should be good!

I haven't been on a bike for that long (bout a month), and the wisest thing todo would be to have a smaller road trip, but then sometimes I'm not that wise (depending on the thing I'm doing really!).

This would be probably starting mid-May and I was just wondering has anyone else done a trip like this and what would be things to look out for and if anyone has any advice or something of the like?

I've never been to the South Island before - does anyone know what the weather is like in May down there?

Farken cold and wet mate, especially in Southland and on the West Coast. Watch the snow over the passes too.

And enjoy the trip

tri boy
19th March 2008, 16:54
Stay warm, hydrate, and take each day as it comes.
You'll piss it in. (the Nullabor is a breeze compared to NZ).

Daffyd
19th March 2008, 18:44
Hey,

Tauranga to Napier
Napier to Wellington
Wellington to Nelson
Nelson to Greymouth
Ashburton to Picton
Picton to Wanganui
Wanganui to Hamilton
Kaitaia to Tauranga

Greymouth to Ashburton via the south of the South Island is a bloody long way. At least 3 days if you want to take time to see anything. I'm picking from your reference to the bottom of the SI you intend visiting the Catlins.

Taz
19th March 2008, 21:14
Don't take too much crap. 3 shirts socks n undies etc would be heaps. Camp grounds have washing machines and dryers. Buy some cheap thermals if you haven't already as even when we were down south in feb it was very winter like at times.

TimeOut
19th March 2008, 21:45
I to was worried about the ferries, they're fine did Blue Bridge last month.
Steel ramps but have bolt heads sticking up, ride up with both feet down just in case. They usually let you on first so you have plenty of time to tie down, chocks (for the wheels) on the boat.

A place to crash here PM if wanted. Could be keen to join you for a ride as well.

tbone
20th March 2008, 08:41
Thermals will be worn for sure! I didn't actually think of them before I posted the thread! Been in NZ for nearly 5 years now and still haven't got used to the fact the Winters are in May!

Greymouth to Ashburton is a long trip - I had only plotted the points on the wises website and it told me the trip was about 6 hours long. I then took a closer look at the roads, and man, there are heaps twisties in there! For a novice like me that leg is going to take a lot longer than 6 hours! Think I will be splitting that leg into two rides.

Plus it lets you take the sights and sounds in!

Shafty - will give you a PM closer to the date and if you're not using them, I'd be keen as to borrow those tie downs - one more expense I don't have to worry about!

Timeout - will give you a PM - a place to crash for the night would be real appreciated! I was planning on crashing somewhere around there on the South Island so that works out sweet as! By that time (or anytime really!) I'd more than appreciate the company, so if you want to come for a ride, all good!

Forest
21st March 2008, 02:26
You can book online at www.interislander.co.nz. Prices seem to be $105 each way at the moment for one person and a bike.

The boats have motorcycle parking spots in the hold with hooks for tie-downs, so just bring along the same tie-downs you'd use to secure your bike to a trailer.

Metal surface ramps? Are you worried about slipping and sliding? I wouldn't be; if I recall correctly, the ramps that you ride or drive up into the boat on are coated with some sort of grippy substance that provides good traction in the wet.

Then again, my memory could be failing me.

Watch out for the train tracks. They're wet and greasy - a treacherous combination!

Clivoris
21st March 2008, 09:49
Best of luck to you Tbone. I did many a grand tour on an Honda XR250 when I was a young fullah. It was huge fun. Going with a mate on a similar bike added to the fun. You're picking a cold time of year but WTF give it heaps mate. My 2c of advice is take the credit card for those times when the need outweighs the expense.

Mrs Busa Pete
21st March 2008, 10:05
There is a spare bed here if you need it. Good luck with your trip.

Delphinus
21st March 2008, 11:11
I went over on the bluebridge. Staff were friendly and helpful. First on and first off. Park facing outwards so its easy to get off. Tietown points were good. I used a pair I brought myself round the front, and their ropes for the back. Nice and stable.

Advice - Take a set of tie downs with you wherever you go. So if your bike breaks town (twice) its far easier to put it on a trailer/ute.

Let me know if you're down Otago way, or if you get in any trouble.

tbone
21st March 2008, 11:35
Been planning it out a little more (in reality, the moment I hope on the bike it'll just be which ever way I feel like) but the trip is more or less going to be:

May 17th - Tauranga to Napier (start - est 5 hours)
- Leave Tauranga
- Rotorua
- Taupo
- Napier (stay overnight)

May 18th - Napier to Masterton (est 5 hours)
- Leave Napier
- Waipawa
- Wimbledon
- Porangahau
- Castlepoint
- Masterton (stay overnight)

May 19th - Masterton to Nelson (est 8 hours - including ferry)
- Leave Masterton
- Upper Hutt
- Wellington
- Ferry trip
- Picton
- Nelson (stay overnight)

May 20th - Nelson to Greymouth (est 5 hours)
- Leave Nelson
- Motueka
- Woodstock (gotta stop here!)
- Richmond
- Saint Arnaud
- Westport
- Greymouth (stay overnight)

May 21st - Greymouth to Haast (est 5 hours)
- Leave Greymouth
- Hokitika
- Ross
- Harihari
- Franz Josef Glacier
- Fox Glacier
- Haast (stay overnight)

May 22nd - Haast to Queenstown (est 4 hours)
- Leave Haast
- Makarora
- Wanaka
- Cardrona
- Queenstown (stay overnight :))

May 23rd - Queenstown to Invercargil (est 4 hours)
- Leave Queenstown
- Athol
- Lumsden
- Waihoaka
- Invercargil (stay overnight)

May 24th - Invercargil to Oamaru (est 4 hours)
- Leave Invercargil
- Waikawa
- Owaka
- Balclutha
- Dunedin
- Palmerston
- Oamaru (stay overnight)

May 25th - Oamaru to Waipara (est 4 hours)
- Leave Oamaru
- Timaru
- Ashburton
- Christchurch
- Waipara (stay overnight)

May 26th - Waipara to Nelson (est 5 hours)
- Leave Waipara
- Cheviot
- Kaikoura
- Blenheim
- Nelson (stay overnight)

May 28th - Nelson to Waikanae Beach (est 7 hours - including ferry)
- Leave Nelson
- Picton
- Ferry trip
- Wellington
- Waikanae Beach (stay overnight)

May 29th - Waikanae Beach to New Plymouth (est 5 hours)
- Leave Waikanae Beach
- Foxton
- Bulls
- Wanganui
- Patea
- Hawera
- Stratford
- New Plymouth (stay overnight)

May 30th - New Plymouth to Cambridge (est 5 hours)
- Leave New Plymouth
- Waitara
- Mokau
- Te Kuiti
- Otorohanga
- Kihikihi
- Cambridge

May 31st - Cambridge to Kaitaia (est 7 hours)
- Leave Cambridge
- Hamilton
- Bombay
- BP outside Auckland
- Whangarei
- Kaitaia (stay overnight)

June 1st - Cape Reinga and North Cape (day trip)

June 2nd - Kaitaia to Tauranga (est 8 hours)
- Leave Kaitaia
- Whangarei
- Bombay
- Tauranga

Most of the time is going to be spent in the South Island - already seen heaps of the North Island, but none of the South. Funny as though - I'm not usually this organized with planning stuff! Probably good to have some sort of idea/baseline where I'm going - at least while I'm starting!

Dad's 60th is on the 31st of May, so that's really my only main date to meet (though I doubt he would mind if I turned up a day late - probably going to be looking scruffy as!)