PDA

View Full Version : My 1st NZ NDE

m99dws
18th March 2008, 16:27
I've been on the road for a reasonably long time, and in that time have had several NDE's or Near Death Experiences. For example, when I lived in the UK I had a car that was devoted to trying to kill myself, my wife and my (then) unborn child. My favourite was coming over the brow of a hill only to see a car overtaking in my lane, coming towards me. We clashed wing mirrors as he forced his way in front of a van and kept going, presumably like me to get home and change pants for unsoiled ones.

Today however was my 1st NDE in NZ. Filtering through slow moving traffic has its hazards I know, it also has its idiots. Dealing with Mr "That lane is moving 1 metre per hour faster so I'll just cut across now" isn't an issue, you can kind of predict that and leave enough room to get out of the way.

Today wasn't Mr "That lane is moving 1 metre per hour faster so I'll just cut across now", today I was re-introduced to Mr "There was nothing in my 4x4's mirrors 500 metres ago, there won't be anything there now so I'll just pull out without looking". Actually, that's quite a long name, I wonder if it fits on his credit card? Anyway I digress.

Basically my front wheel was inline with his rear passenger door as he decided that being in the outside of SH2 when the inside was clear was something he'd like to do. I sped up as a truck behind meant no breaking, and I was just screaming past about half a metre off the centre barrier with the horn blasting when he finally noticed me. He didn't actually attempt to deviate course though, even at that point, not a slight swerve or acknowledgement of an error.

Still, now that I live here I have a fridge full of Monteiths to relax with, it can't be all that bad can it?

98tls
18th March 2008, 16:31
Glad you made it ok,just another day on NZ roads on a bike i guess,not sure if i would ride a bike if i lived in the big smoke,down here theres less idiots to avoid.

Colapop
18th March 2008, 16:37
I'll be round in a bit then... Mmmmm Monteiths... You've been here for how long now? And this is your first? Hmmm you weren't riding for awhile though were you...?

...Good to see you did get permission...

m99dws
18th March 2008, 16:40
Whaddaya mean permission! :Pokey:

Was that you I saw pulling into the bottom of Grey St tonight about 4pm as I was leaving? Only thought about it halfway home, around about the time someone pulled out on me..... hmmmm :whistle:

Colapop
18th March 2008, 17:43
Yes sir twas I! You didn't wave or acknowledge me in any way - the cheek of it!

old git
18th March 2008, 17:53
I presume you never rode dispatch in the UK, or you would be able to rip the bloody mirror off his drivers door whilst kicking the panel in below with a well aimed left boot and screamed at him about his parentage........just before poking a well aimed pair of fingers into his eyes {only if the window was open}....Most 4x4 driver are prats in Chelsea tractors !!!,
Its a damn site better here for riding than London tho.........

KEEP SAFE..................

m99dws
18th March 2008, 17:57
Nah, I thought about the whole violence thing but I'm calm now I live here, then I remembered those 4 bottles of cold Monteiths Golden in the fridge and my priorities wavered somewhat. He lives to fight another day, more importantly, so do I. :apint:

McJim
18th March 2008, 18:17
'sfookin dangerous out here buddy. They've only got about 150kms of Motorway in the whole island so the cagers don't actually know how to use 'em.

YellowDog
18th March 2008, 18:27
I suspect I have met your Chelsea tractor driver a few trime on the motorway. I no longer count such events as NDEs, as I accept they are part of motorcycling. I always figure that so long as the idiot doesn't actually drive into another vehicle (except me) I should be able to follow his same driving line.

The tractor mirror height can also be quite an issue in such situations. I supose you just get used to it.

Safe riding :-)

mark247
18th March 2008, 18:57
My favourite was coming over the brow of a hill only to see a car overtaking in my lane, coming towards me.

Had this happen to me last week on my motorcycle, it was some dumbass boyracer genius. If i was in a car it would of been a 100kmh head on. Good god i was tempted to turn around and catch up and kick the hell out of his door.

PuppetMaster
19th March 2008, 09:21
I no longer count such events as NDEs

Yup. Thats Near Daily Experienes.

breakaway
19th March 2008, 10:38
Near death experience? This is practically a daily exercise for me, commuting ~80km/day.