PDA

View Full Version : Honda VFR750 Rear shock.

FROSTY
5th December 2004, 12:51
I've had very little to do with these bikes. Could anyone thats owned one advise me regarding the rear shock.
Do you have the stock or an aftermarket and if so what brand and how is it performing?
If you still have the stock shock ,did you have it rebuilt or is it still untouched.

merv
5th December 2004, 18:15
Still got the stock one on mine after 10 years. I have heard on other forums that they lose their damping and do need a rebuild, but then what shock wouldn't after a length of time.

All I have done to mine is tweak the damping adjuster screw a bit because the bike felt a bit wallowy when I first put Michelin tyres on. I think the previous Metzelers were a much stiffer construction tyre so I had the suspension reasonably soft, the Michelins are a softer construction so I have compensated by stiffening up the shock. Either that or my shock is now starting to show its age.

dangerous
6th December 2004, 17:28
which year are you talking about XJ? my 97 had 40,000k on it when I sold it and was sweet..... then ther was the 86 more recently and that had 140,000k on it but the rear shock had been replaced, not sure with what but it handled well however the ass end on the bike sat up a lot higher than it shoud have and a mates RVF 400 does the same, its a bitch cos on the side stand the bike leans over way too far for compfort so watch out for those that chop the stand.

badlieutenant
7th December 2004, 08:32
Ive rebuilt mine, when shocks are like springs it can spoil your fun.
As mentioned before, what year ? On that note maybe someone can point me in the direction of cheapish vfr (early) shock upgrades ? Ive heard a cbr1000's triple clamp and shocks, of similar era can be swapped over ? I'd love to put a ohlin's in but then it would out value my bike. FS ??