PDA

View Full Version : Brad and Angelina buy 850 year old house… subject to being allowed to build their own

Bob
19th March 2008, 01:55
Anglina Jolie and Brad Pitt have made an offer on an 850 year old house in the Provence region of France. However, they initially withdrew their $20,000,000 offer… when the bike mad couple were refused permission to build their own circuit in the five-acre garden!

Clearly, the sight of $20,000,000 disappearing down the path was too much for the authorities, who relented and confirmed the couple could add the circuit.

Bikernereid
19th March 2008, 03:41
Great to see that those with money can just flash it around and get whatever the hell they want. Poor French getting stuck with those two!!

Coyote
19th March 2008, 05:51
They're into bikes?

They'll muddy the bad boy rep we have!

Finn
19th March 2008, 05:57
Great to see that those with money can just flash it around and get whatever the hell they want. Poor French getting stuck with those two!!

It's the way of the world sunshine. Get over it.

Bikernereid
19th March 2008, 06:06
Oh my, sunshine. Just cos it is the way of the world doesn't make it right!!

It's the way of the world sunshine. Get over it.

tri boy
19th March 2008, 07:28
They're into bikes?

They'll muddy the bad boy rep we have!

That Space Cadet Tom Cruise has already managed that.
(who let that weirdo onto a Scrambler:spanking:)
At least Angelina could up our profile by washing muddy motocross bikes in a bikini.:devil2:

yod
19th March 2008, 07:59

I haven't met them, are they not very nice?

Finn
19th March 2008, 08:00

Why are you so concerned about what Brad & Angeline do with their own money? Surely you must have other things in your life to focus your attention on.

Bikernereid
19th March 2008, 08:04
But taking a break from sex offenders and paraphilias at the mo!

I just think that if you get rejected for planning you shouldn't be able to 'bribe' people to get what you want. The environment is prescious and shouldn't be there for rich people just to buy up and destroy just cos they can afford to.

Why are you so concerned about what Brad & Angeline do with their own money? Surely you must have other things in your life to focus your attention on.

Goblin
19th March 2008, 08:08
Why are you so concerned about what Brad & Angeline do with their own money? Surely you must have other things in your life to focus your attention on.Aww c'mon Finn....dont be such a bitch.:girlfight:

Bikernereid
19th March 2008, 08:17
But he does it so well:niceone:

Aww c'mon Finn....dont be such a bitch.:girlfight:

007XX
19th March 2008, 08:30

Hmmmm...and of course, let's conveniently forget about two very interesting points:

A- the massive involvement of Angelina (and Brad by association) with the UN, and the massive funds they donate to charities.

B- Poor French my arse...shake enough money in front of them and they'll turn coat...wouldn't be the first time.

Tall poppy syndrome anyone? If they've got the means and want a freakin track on their property, I say good for them.

Bikernereid
19th March 2008, 09:23
Hmmmm...and of course, let's conveniently forget about two very interesting points:

A- the massive involvement of Angelina (and Brad by association) with the UN, and the massive funds they donate to charities.

Yes. Just such as shame that she is more interested in her adoptive children than her natural one. Charity begins at home, maybe she should try it!! And I am never impressed with a home wrecker and adulterer.

B- Poor French my arse...shake enough money in front of them and they'll turn coat...wouldn't be the first time.

As I said I just hate that people with money can circumvent the law and regulation so often. That is why we have so many druggie 'pop' stars and actresses that just keep being let off because they have money where as Joe public would be in the slammer quicker than you can say "line of charlie, yes please".

Tall poppy syndrome anyone? If they've got the means and want a freakin track on their property, I say good for them.

Why should people get what they want all the time? Is is not thier 'God' given right to have anything and everything just cos they are famous and have laods of dosh.

007XX
19th March 2008, 09:37
Why should people get what they want all the time? Is is not thier 'God' given right to have anything and everything just cos they are famous and have laods of dosh.

why shouldn't they?

why do people earn money? the fact that they are famous is irrelevant here...they bought a property, they want to do as they please with it...simple request really.

However, I would like to know if other details might have been at the origin of the frenchs' refusal...ie: if the building of a track was to severely impair the neighbouring area and its inhabitants, or if it was going to severely impact on the environment.

Can't have been though, since a "little" money managed to loosen the decision...Same thing happens here on a regular basis...Home owners nowadays are having to pay indecent amounts of money to councils to even get them to consider an alteration to their property, and that's without any guarantees that it will be accepted.

Be it $20,000 or $20,000,000,000...money is the way to talk and get things done nowadays, whether the romantics like it or not.

madandy
19th March 2008, 10:16
My dream is to buy a small bit of land & have my own little race track too :)
Sure it'd be wrong if it ruined some historic site, polluted the earth/air/water or broke noise regulations etc. but I'd choose the property based on it's location and suitability for the purpose.
I'll be damned if someone tells me I can't make the 'improvements' I want to my own bit of dirt...
Where does it say they bribed anyone?

Bikernereid
19th March 2008, 10:22
Maybe you guys can't get how putting in a race track will ruin a beautiful piece of 850 year old architecture. There are a lot of us who appreciate our ancestry, and environment and historical buidlings just the way they are.

Guess the Yanks are not happy enough with buying up European art they now have to take over our historical buidlings too.

It sounds as if money spoke (metaphorical bribe) in this case. Just hope that the local community and environment don't suffer.

My dream is to buy a small bit of land & have my own little race track too :)
Sure it'd be wrong if it ruined some historic site, polluted the earth/air/water or broke noise regulations etc. but I'd choose the property based on it's location and suitability for the purpose.
I'll be damned if someone tells me I can't make the 'improvements' I want to my own bit of dirt...
Where does it say they bribed anyone?

Coldrider
19th March 2008, 10:32
One would hope that the race tracks of our time are preserved for future generations. It would show a coming of age for sporting leisure compared to the coliseums of the past that reflect cruelty to fellow humans as a sporting amusement.

madandy
19th March 2008, 10:32
Maybe you guys can't get how putting in a race track will ruin a beautiful piece of 850 year old architecture. There are a lot of us who appreciate our ancestry, and environment and historical buidlings just the way they are.

Guess the Yanks are not happy enough with buying up European art they now have to take over our historical buidlings too.

It sounds as if money spoke (metaphorical bribe) in this case. Just hope that the local community and environment don't suffer.

If any Nation understands yanks buying up special land for themselves it's us Kiwis!
Its sounds like its the building that's special and not the land. As I stated, provided due consideration is given, and Brad & the fat lipped one invite some uber cool people to share their new track what's the big deal?
I totally agree that this could potentailly ruin a nice garden but one can only hope the local [French] officials have thought about the impact this new addition to the landscape will have.

chris
19th March 2008, 11:56
the massive funds they donate to charities
Not forgetting the need to broadcast the fact through most of the world's news agencies too...

007XX
19th March 2008, 13:38
Not forgetting the need to broadcast the fact through most of the world's news agencies too...

Two sides to that fence:

a- they are just wanting the attention (a s you imply in your post)...(although I fail to see how they could benefit from that, having already half of the paparazzis' population watching their every movement).

b- or...and this is my take on it: They are wanting to lead by example, bringing attention with their fame to otherwise maybe unknown or uncared for charities.

Why is it that everyone decides to see the darkest in everything? Can't anyone actually do some selfless good on this Earth and people actually acknowledge it for what it is, instead of turning it into some despicable ulterior motive?

Gah...righto.....deep breaths now...woooosaaaaaaaa

Manxman
20th March 2008, 12:51
I haven't met them, are they not very nice?

:not::killingme

Ba-ling

Rangi Racer
20th March 2008, 13:05
I hope I get the big invite for a couple of hot laps. I have my own track too its called the southern motorway.:2thumbsup

Skyryder
1st April 2008, 19:38
The problem is not what they do with their money but that they believe their money is right.

Milken is the classic example of this.

Skyryder

Mikkel
2nd April 2008, 09:46

It doesn't make it wrong either!

I just think that if you get rejected for planning you shouldn't be able to 'bribe' people to get what you want. The environment is prescious and shouldn't be there for rich people just to buy up and destroy just cos they can afford to.

There's a difference between withdrawing an offer and bribing to have it accepted. Morally it is subtle - legally it is huge.

Anyway, more people speaking english in France is by no means a bad thing. If they bring in another mile or two of liberated road even better.

Hell, if I had the money I'd buy a castle and a mountain pass in the alps. Fucking hell I'd have my fun! :yes:

The problem is not what they do with their money but that they believe their money is right.

Well, I don't know if they believe that their money gives them any rights.

Consider it this way: You go to buy a house with a nice garden that the owner has put a lot of time and effort into. You say that you're probably going to pave over the lawn because you can't be arsed mowing or so... The seller then gets pissy about you wanting to change stuff. You withdraw the offer - but as you're walking out of the driveway the seller realises that he actually would like to sell the property and says "Ah, fuck it!". ;)

ManDownUnder
2nd April 2008, 09:55

Interesting - you can take that from both sides of this example. Didn't the authorities get what they wanted too in this case (loads of dosh...)?

If they didn't want the cash, they had no reason to approve it. This sounds like a win win to me. And that's not a bad thing.

terbang
2nd April 2008, 10:01

Us Kiwis, like the yanks havent got that many years of our own local ancestry though a lot of our roots came from up north. But we left for may reasons (aussies included) and have sort of lost touch with that side of being human. Like the yanks, we are a bit rootless hence the big OE that most do back to europe. I'm with yer there lady, whatever the means be (money, connections, politics), I believe that we should all have equal priveledge (or denial) if we are planning to build a race track on a historical property. Bribery is for the third world..!

terbang
2nd April 2008, 10:05
This sounds like a win win to me. And that's not a bad thing.
Not a bad thing for just two parties only, as is the way with financial incentive. But there is perhaps a wider community to consider if this place is indeed of historical value...

ManDownUnder
2nd April 2008, 10:09
But there is perhaps a wider community to consider...

Totally agreed - and the cash going to the Authorites will (in theory) be used to the benefit of the wider community. That is the authority's raison d'etre.

That said, I'm always amased at how well authorities use their power to hold the community resonsible to themselves, rather than the intended (and exact opposite) situation.

Finn
2nd April 2008, 10:14
They should pull the old building down and build something more modern. Just to piss off all the crybabies.

Obviously adopting half of Africa wasn't good enough for the KB linch mob.

They could of been turned down but the authorities took the money. The French are good like that.

fire eyes
2nd April 2008, 10:56
:calm: if its not one bit of land, it will be another. Be it France or any other country. Money isn't 'be all end all' but offers more choices! I am not really a Brad & Angelina (film) fan but appreciate thier decisions to adopt and give those kids amazing opportunities they may not have otherwise had. Thats what I call paying it forward.

Coldrider
2nd April 2008, 15:00
The preservation of the status quo vs the wish of big business is exactly how the resourse management act is worked in NZ, with the largest bank-roller winning. Brad & Jo, money talks all over the world.

NordieBoy
4th April 2008, 21:05
Mmmmmmmmm......