PDA

View Full Version : good 4 stroke for beginner?

Voodoo
5th December 2004, 15:44
hi all, ive currently got a YZ 125 , thats alot of fun, but im looking at getting into the odd long cruise , bush tracks etc, and well am thinking a two stroke is not really suited to that due to fouling etc, am i right?
anyway just wondering what kind of trailbike would suit me ,
im only short a 5.6 and quite light, i found that the 125 is alright size wise but done really want to get a bike any higher,
but at the same time i dont really want anything with less power than the 125 2 stoke, any suggestions on good bikes for this, or am i asking too much

FROSTY
5th December 2004, 15:54
EEEP you do have a problem. The 250 4 strokes that you'll need for the same power are a bit taller. All I can suggest is adjusting the suspension.--its a heck of a compromise in a traillee But I cant see another option.

Firefight
5th December 2004, 16:56
hi all, ive currently got a YZ 125 , thats alot of fun, but im looking at getting into the odd long cruise , bush tracks etc, and well am thinking a two stroke is not really suited to that due to fouling etc, am i right?
anyway just wondering what kind of trailbike would suit me ,
im only short a 5.6 and quite light, i found that the 125 is alright size wise but done really want to get a bike any higher,
but at the same time i dont really want anything with less power than the 125 2 stoke, any suggestions on good bikes for this, or am i asking too much

Depending on budget, XR 200, SL230, CRF230 both Wife and daughter have ridden all of these at one time or another.

F/F :ride:

Motu
5th December 2004, 17:33
You're going to miss the light weight and handling of the YZ when you move up in size.I reckon a KDX would be a next good move,it's light,reasonably powerful and handling not far off the YZ,the motors hang together if you look after them.The KLX250/300 is only about 10kg heavier than a KDX,being the first of the DOHC watercooled 4 strokes it's had most of the problems ironed out and has reasonable engine life,but will need more maintenance than an XR250.I always thought the YZ125 was pretty tall,no lower than the bigger MX bikes,or have you got a short one?

2_SL0
5th December 2004, 18:40
KDX 220 all the way. It will give you the best of both worlds. But IM a biased KDX fan. :2thumbsup

Voodoo
5th December 2004, 18:53
well yeah i was told that yamaha's were taller, but when i sit on my mates KX125 it seems about the same, although, i reckon my springs are softer, so it maybe because of that, and maybe the rear has been lowered abit by previous owner?the new YZ125's state that they are higher than the YZ250's i think , but my 1990 YZ is abit lower than the new ones, so hows does a KDX get on because isnt it a 2 stroke, or are two strokes ok for trail riding? if so, maybe i should just keep the YZ?

Racey Rider
5th December 2004, 21:24
Yes the KDX is a 2/, but they are made for trail riding. (wider spread of power)
The YZ is a pure track/race "thrash me" bike. A YZ 125 is ether on the power, or nothing at all. Not that good for trail riding. And Premix in your YZ can cause plug oiling problems if your on a slow trail ride.
Most newish 2/ trail bikes are now oil injection, (not premix), so don't oil up plugs.
Maybe a DR200 4/ might be the way to go. or TT225. Both have disk brakes at the front which is important.

F5 Dave
6th December 2004, 11:23
My thoughts were immediately “Good fourstroke for beginner?”

Hmm. . . KDX (yes I know!)

They are lower than a MX bike & can be made lower still. Never foul plugs, great power. Check out just kdx (http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ )

Voodoo
6th December 2004, 18:32
cheers for the info guys!
yeah KDX's sound like they might be the go, how well do the 200's go, or would a 250 be the go?

2_SL0
6th December 2004, 20:06
Both the 200 and the 220 are great bikes, Ive had both. 220 has a little more mid range power, which I found great for trail riding. Both respond well to throwing aftermarket pipe on. :scooter:

clint640
10th December 2004, 12:10
Yup, a 200 2stroke is a good trailbike, a couple of my mates have recently got 200's, one a new KDX, the other an 03 KTM EXC, they are both really skilled riders who have owned many many dirtbikes, and have decided the 200's give the best combination of low weight, power, handling & ease of maintenance. I've ridden both & they are like getting on my mountainbike after trail riding the 640, but there is no shortage of nice usable power.

Cheers
Clint

Wellyman
14th December 2004, 17:24
CRF230. I have one and they rock. PM me if you want any info.

Storm
14th December 2004, 18:16
XR200 - solid as the rock you ride over them with and they are not heavy pigs. Plenty of aftermarket kit out there for it as well.
Had one for years and it was the ducks nuts :niceone:

Motu
14th December 2004, 18:20
But the drum front brake sucks - you can bolt an XR250 front end straight in and get a better fork and disc brake.I did that,but being in the 80s still had a drum at the front.

**R1**
20th December 2004, 21:08
KDX 220 all the way. It will give you the best of both worlds. But IM a biased KDX fan. :2thumbsup

i would have to agree, but then i have a kdx as well, mines a 250 i do heaps of trail riding and it seems fine, i have riden a mates new klx300 and its ok but i think your either a 2stroke or 4stroke person(im in2 2 strokes more power and WOW factor) then again on a ride i go through $25 gas and oil and he goes through $4. Mines faster.....way faster

jonnyrr1
5th January 2005, 21:15
aaron r1............ way faster...... haha your so funny at times.
i own that new klx300 and it is all good nice user friendly power,
keeps on tickin, im new to the dirt, and i gotta say i love it,
when you fall off you just pick the bike up and away you go,

im a 4 stroke boy, i dont wanna have to pay for all that oil and xtra petrol my mates seem to go thru,

$2.80 for me............. $15 for them...?
add it up..