PDA

View Full Version : Throw away the helmet??

Stromble
20th March 2008, 13:28
Hey Guys,

After my bin a couple of weeks ago, most of the gear was ripped, and the helmet went down the road on its visor with scratches to the chin piece flip. Its a Shoei Multitec, so the front flips up.

Should I expect the insurance to replace this in full or would they suggest a new visor and chin piece (if available)..?

Whats the score with Helmets, is it advisable to get rid?

Str8 Jacket
20th March 2008, 13:30
How important is your head to you? I would replace it.....

crazybigal
20th March 2008, 13:32
if its had a wack, the inside will be deformed.
i wouldnt trust it to be up to the job again.

mstriumph
20th March 2008, 13:34
Safetywise, the helmet should be replaced ..... speak to your Insurer

scott411
20th March 2008, 13:42
you can not buy the front peice, and helmets can not be repaired
throw it away, if your bike coverage does not cover gear, your contents insurance will,
helmets are only desgined for one hit,

Stromble
20th March 2008, 13:52
Cool,

Thanks Guys, I have to take the gear into AMI and they will assess for damage and offer me a settlement covered under contents insurance, was just wondering what to expect..

Though I figured the gear will have to go and get replaced, jacket torn, helmet scratched, gloves worn through the carbon knuckles..

Hopefully theyll offer me something decent as most of the gear ive only had for a few months..

Deviant Esq
20th March 2008, 14:23
Thanks Guys, I have to take the gear into AMI and they will assess for damage and offer me a settlement covered under contents insurance, was just wondering what to expect..

Though I figured the gear will have to go and get replaced, jacket torn, helmet scratched, gloves worn through the carbon knuckles..

Hopefully theyll offer me something decent as most of the gear ive only had for a few months..
I thought bike insurance covered your gear too if you had a bin and damaged it beyond reasonable use? Part and parcel of having a crash and bopping your head is replacing your lid - goes without saying, if ever it has any sort of knock, even falling off your tank onto the footpath (marginal, but...), it should be replaced. I'd be surprised if your bike insurance didn't cover this...

Coyote
20th March 2008, 14:37
Phff, she'll be right

vifferman
20th March 2008, 14:40
I'd be surprised if your bike insurance didn't cover this...Most doesn't cover it, only policies with special extensions (and premiums) for that purpose.
And most personal effects or household contents don't really cover it either, once the excess and No Claims Bonus are taken into account. The best bet is when it's an accident caused by another party and you claim on their insurance.

Deviant Esq
20th March 2008, 14:41
The best bet is when it's an accident caused by another party and you claim on their insurance.
Ah, so that'd be why I'd seen it written on here on a couple of previous occasions. Thanks for the clarification... I'm going to ring my insurance company now and clarify with them! :blink:

avgas
20th March 2008, 14:42
Contents insurance HAS to cover a helmet if it makes contact with the road

onearmedbandit
20th March 2008, 14:44
Motorcycle insurance generally doesn't cover gear, as pointed out by the OP it's covered under your contents insurance. When I had my off 2yrs ago State didn't even ask to see my gear, and convinced me to claim for my gloves as well. All they asked was that I got a quote from 'maybe a friend who works at a bike shop' as the gear was hi-spec kit and they wanted the figures right. Only took 10% off for depreciation. All under my contents insurance. (And it wasn't even something I stipulated when I arranged the insurance. I just rang them and politely asked and they said sure.)

megageoff76
20th March 2008, 15:14
So what do you do with old helmets, just put them out with the rubbish?

vifferman
20th March 2008, 15:23
My oldest one (an old FFM) had a good shell, but the foam inside perished, so I hiffed it in the bin.

I traded one in (yes, it's true!), even though it had a cracked chinguard and frayed strap. Got $100 for it. F'nbelievable, huh?

I must confess, I gave an old AGV to Renegade Master (with a full explanation of its history), so you now know why he's like he is.
Sorry! My bad. :(

I've got an AGV X-Vent in good nick in the BikeGearCupboard, ostensibly for #2 Son to use, but it's been unused for months, so I may give it away soon.

BadCompany
20th March 2008, 15:30
Your all looking in the wrong direction, apparently ACC may or may not contribute to a new helmet the kind doctor informed me. Might be worth looking into.

Pex Adams
20th March 2008, 15:30

They make really good pot plant holders...

vifferman
20th March 2008, 15:31
Your all looking in the wrong direction, apparently ACC may or may not contribute to a new helmet the kind doctor informed me. Might be worth looking into.
Not.
They're in the business of paying for injuries to people, not objects.

BadCompany
20th March 2008, 15:33
Not.

Yeah but if helping pay for a helmet prevented serious head injury, then why not?

Have you asked before? I still reckon its worth looking into.

megageoff76
20th March 2008, 15:39
They make really good pot plant holders...

Nice, I wonder what other awesome uses we can find for old helmets?

You could balance one on an ajar door frame, so they fall on your flat mates head when he opens the door. heh heh

Squiggles
20th March 2008, 15:44
If you're binning it, make sure you cut the straps off it first (rather than having some punk find it in the trash and use it / sell it not knowing its previous fate

vifferman
20th March 2008, 15:47
Yes. No.
I think (from memory, which is not too good) that they may have paid for them at one stage, before some Gubmint bureaucrat found out and stopped it. (Diverts too much revenue from fixing rugby injuries, y'know...)

turtleman
20th March 2008, 15:51

Not.

Yeah but if helping pay for a helmet prevented serious head injury, then why not?

This used to be the case - I claimed a new helmet off ACC, along with other clothing damaged, including jacket and gloves. Was a long time ago, though, so don't know if this has changed or not. It certainly can't hurt to enquire!

Bonez
20th March 2008, 16:08
So what do you do with old helmets, just put them out with the rubbish?There's a fence up our way folk hang them on.

Stromble
20th March 2008, 16:44
I did read somewhere that someone took an axe to them... hmmm who was that..!? probably good to completely trash it and cut the straps off etc before binning it. Wouldnt want some bugger polishing it up and sticking it on trademe for a few bob..!

Thanks Guys.. Ill see what AMI say when I run the gear in for inspection..

Mom
20th March 2008, 16:52
I did read somewhere that someone took an axe to them... hmmm who was that..!? probably good to completely trash it and cut the straps off etc before binning it. Wouldnt want some bugger polishing it up and sticking it on trademe for a few bob..!

Thanks Guys.. Ill see what AMI say when I run the gear in for inspection..

Good call mate!

Even if you cant see damage on a helmet, if it has taken a knock it needs to replaced, if you can see damage then you should not have to ask.

You should be fine with your contents insurance, though they do deduct for depreciation.

A few years ago I got a heap of stuff stolen off my clothes line and made a claim. They deducted "depreciation" from my claim for underwear and other stuff. I rang and asked the criteria for depreciation, was it # of washes/# of wears/# of stains and embarrassed the shit out of the young guy on the phone :o

You will get depreciation deducted, but if you can prove original purchase date (most shops will help you out with that) it should not be too brutal.

Good luck, let us know how you get along with it.

Jantar
20th March 2008, 18:23
I dropped my new Nolan on the ground today, and its only the 3rd time I've worn it. Its also the last time I'll be wearing it, and I'll be seeing the insurance company when they open next week.

Stromble
20th March 2008, 18:59
I dropped my new Nolan on the ground today, and its only the 3rd time I've worn it. Its also the last time I'll be wearing it, and I'll be seeing the insurance company when they open next week.

Bugger... Better safe than sorry eh..

Kittyhawk
20th March 2008, 19:01
If its taken a decent hit never use it again. One thing ya shouldnt skimp on is protecting that brain cell :devil2:

Nasty
20th March 2008, 19:39
Our insurers contacted a bike shop to find out the replacement value of a 6 month old helmit ... they were told point blank you don't buy second hand helmits .. and a helmit lasts as long as you don't come off. We received full total coverage for the helmit ... around $600 worth.

Pex Adams
20th March 2008, 19:59
Nice, I wonder what other awesome uses we can find for old helmets?

You could balance one on an ajar door frame, so they fall on your flat mates head when he opens the door. heh heh

You could hang them on the power lines - I realise its a little more obvious the the golden thong, but at least the locals will know who's the local dealer.

Stromble
20th March 2008, 22:13
Our insurers contacted a bike shop to find out the replacement value of a 6 month old helmit ... they were told point blank you don't buy second hand helmits .. and a helmit lasts as long as you don't come off. We received full total coverage for the helmit ... around $600 worth.

Very true actually! good point, no one wants a second hand helmet.. I will argue for full cover :) thanks..

avrflr
21st March 2008, 11:11
I'm not convinced a helmet is bung as soon as you bump it. Sounds to me like an urban myth/marketing exercise by helmet makers. Can anyone point me to a study of post-drop helmet crash protection?

And yes I have had an accident with a helmet I had previously dropped and there was hardly any brain damagamagamage.

Stromble
21st March 2008, 11:52
Would like to see a study too, but I guess you can never really tell with ABS and fibreglass just what has weakened in the accident.

Im sticking with the majority and even if I cant really see anything other than a couple of scratches, I did hit the road pretty hard and slide down it on my chin and Visor at 90kmh, so I really wouldnt feel that safe in it again...

Cibby
21st March 2008, 22:56
I sold my old crashed helmet on trademe for $25, now before anyone has a mental, it was sold as a crashed helmet not for road use,

the guy who brought it wanted it for his play station, he had a whole set up with a recaro seat, speakers and a steerling wheel and needed a helmet to make it more realistic.

Re depretiation, you should accept no more than about 15% for a year on bike clothing, the arguement is is that clothes wear out quickly and you are unlikely to get mroe than 2 years out of clothes before they become worthless *50%) per year, but bike clothing can last 5+ years if it is good quality and looked after...

good luck :)

NordieBoy
21st March 2008, 23:20
Motorcycle insurance generally doesn't cover gear, as pointed out by the OP it's covered under your contents insurance.

Yep. That's what I got told when I wanted to add my scratched helmet to my claim.

A few days later I realised I'd been diddled.

The bugger hit me. His insurance should have paid for everything.