PDA

View Full Version : My very first Harley adventure

Brownbikerbabe
20th March 2008, 15:39
We nurses attended a conference in Orlando(7 total) 6 oriental women (I will call them the TMC triad mothers club...thanks to CP for giving them that name) and me brown biker chick (They are all over 50 ) We decided to go a little earlier, you know, pleasure before business. I rented a Harley 883 (800cc) in Daytona, bike week started Feb 29th and we landed on the 27th . Orlando to Daytona 1 1/2 hours drive...Daytona to Cocoa Beach another 1 1/2 hour drive all highway driving.

Day 1

03:30 – wake up to go to the airport.

06:50 - Flight takes off

09:45 - We land at Orlando Airport

10:30 - Make it to the Car Rental place and pick up a mini van. - we can hardly get our luggage in and we haven’t even started shopping yet!

11:00 - I phone Harley Guy and tell him I am in Orlando and will pick up the bike at about 5PM

He’s okay with that and tells me to phone when I am on my way.

Orlando is 1 ½ hours drive from Daytona and Cocoa Beach (where we were staying for 3 days) is another 1 ½ hours drive from Daytona.

11:30 -

My friends: We wanna shop!

Me; Ok, but remember I want to pick up the bike and I don’t want to ride at night!

My friends: Ya, no problem. (You must remember they are 6)

I am the designated driver for the trip along with Mother #1 (who organises everything)

We drive to the nearest outlet malls...of course you must drive to each one they are that huge!

12:00...

My friends: We’re hungry let’s eat before we shop!

Me: Okay

1 PM

Mother #1: Okay we have to leave by 3:30 so that Eva can pick up the bike

My friends: Okay

Me: (thinking)...cool!

Me: Okay so we leave at 3:30!!!I don’t want to ride at night!

My friends: Ya no problem, we don’t want you riding at night, we worry about your safety!

Shop! Shop! Shop!

15:30-Everyone is in a different store and I have to round them all up back to the car!

16:00

Me: Okay let go! I gotta pick up the bike and we’re already late! And I don’t want to ride at night!!!!

16:30...Sitting in traffic in Orlando

I phone the Harley guy

Me: Hi...umm..we’re still in Orlando and we’re stuck in traffic!

Harley Guy: WHAT! ...that means another 1 ½ hours I have to wait?

Me: Ya, sorry, but we’re stuck in traffic...( didn’t say we were shopping all day!)

Harley Guy: Okay, it will be a long day for me but I will wait for you. Call me when you are close by, the shop will be closed though.

Me: Okay

18:30..We arrive at Harley Rental Store

I need to use the bathroom and so do the TMC!

Me: Ummm...where’s your bathroom?

Harley guy: In the back we only have one you know (I can see he is annoyed at seeing the TMC following behind me)

Me: I give him the sweetest smile possible

Harley Guy: You can use it no problem but them...(grumble grumble)]

TMC...hanging out in Harley Store like it’s the mall....and there's a sale on purses!

I tell them to wait outside...meanwhile I see that the sun is fading fast!!!!....

Me: ok, ok lets go!

Sign the papers, make the payments

Harley Guy: Ya, the bike you wanted the 800cc is not available, but I have the 883 with a 1200cc Screamiin' Eagle engine in it... you can take that.

Me: WHAT!??...but I’ve never ridden a Harley let alone a 1200cc bike, the biggest I’ve ever ridden is an 800cc EVER!

Harley Guy: Aaah....don’t worry....but...be careful...it’s a FAST bike.

Me:..But I’ve never ridden anything bigger

Harley Guy: Well, if you want to come back tomorrow morning the other bike might be back

Me: No, I’m not driving to Cocoa Beach and back ....too much travelling back and forth!!!

Harley Guy: Ok, so take the bike, you’ll be fine!

Me: Ok, I have no choice!

The sun is going down fast and I put on my helmet that I brought, put on my leather jacket and check the tank and notice it’s not full of gas...I am pissed!

Me:HEY!... how come the tanks not full?

Harley Guy: Oh really?...ok you put in the gas and give me the receipt after, I’ll give you the money back.

Me:...(thinking)...ASSHOLE!!!

20:30..We get on the highway..its dark and I can’t see the road because there are no friggin lights on the highway in Florida! So I have to rely on Mother #1's driving and the new navigator is not familiar with a GPS!!! I follow as close as possible, the tempterature is 10 degrees celcius and dropping fast and it is even colder because there is no windshield on the motorcycle....I am the windshield!! Speed about 85-90 mph all the way..I am trying to keep up to the van.

There are two lanes and the trucks are passing me by trying to suck me under their wheels, the wind is trying to rip my helmet off my head, thank god I took my full face helmet, I am praying that there will be no animals running out into the road, I am praying "Yes, Lord, I want alligator boots but I don’t want to wear them at my funeral!"...the wind is whipping, my teeth are chattering in my helmet, I am frozen to the bike and I can’t feel my arms or legs...

Me:

How long have been riding? Please God, I hope I don’t get hypothermia and pass out, how will that look in the news?..."Canadian (who just left minus 5 degree weather in Canada) Dies of Hypothermia in Florida!"...not cool man!

Ok, Ok, just make it to Cocoa Beach, pay attention to what your doing!

We pass a bridge, I see water on both sides and the wind is feeling much warmer.

A sign!!! Cocoa Beach 7 miles! Hallelujiah!

22:15 - We arrive at the hotel, I get off the bike and I can feel the blood rushing down my arms and legs, trying to get warm...strange feeling that!

I know I have to keep walking to get the blood circulating back to my limbs, so I walk in the lobby while mother # 1 checks us in.

We are hungry, I am frozen and tired...

We order our foood but first I have a shot of Jack Daniels and a beer

We made it!!!

SilverGrin
20th March 2008, 16:04
Interesting adventure, glad you made it ok.
No sympathy however, being late because of a shopping spree completely precludes it.

Hopefully the weather in Florida during the day will make up for being cold at night.

ajturbo
20th March 2008, 16:28
what a cool ride report!!!!!!!

i can just imagine your trip!!!

some thing to tell your grand kids.. hahahaha

so how was the bike???

Dafe
20th March 2008, 16:34
Yeah, did you like the 1200?

The Lone Rider
20th March 2008, 17:11
*sigh*

Everyday, Americans are riding the highways and byways, continuing on the modern day cowboy culture going for generations.

I envy those who can carry out when they want what I have to plan and dream about.

BTW - vulcan drift are awesome bikes

Gubb
20th March 2008, 17:22
Seems a bit rough to think the guys an asshole after you were late.

Nagash
20th March 2008, 18:04
BTW - vulcan drift are awesome bikes

Totally agree with you there.. my dream bike infact :eek:

Nice ride report, I reckon the Scramin' Eagle engine woulda been better! Doesn't sound like you would of got too much of an oppourtunity to ride it though..

Hope you had a good time.

KiwiNZ
30th March 2008, 10:32
Amazing, at lease you done it, can imagin this story coming up alot for you girls at the next conference. Oh hope the shopping was worth it. Awesome:rockon: